ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝She was like a perfect paradise, tearing at its seam.❞ To everyone, Chimdi Gentry lived the perfect life wit... More

Preface
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Interlude
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
Interlude
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
Interlude
53
54
55
Interlude
Epilogue
Sufface

27

913 273 58
By sawvvy

'Cause I've been wrong
about a million times
But I got one thing right,
you'

__

The week's activities progressed with impressive speed, continuous assessment tests were taken and soon, the students were filled with nothing close to euphoria, but more with pre-examination tension as they prepared for the session's first term examination.

TJ and Chimdi found themselves at the school's botanical garden, amidst the not-so pleasant company of text books and writing materials. Oil painted white desks and benches provided sitting comfort, coupled with the intoxicating scent of natural flowers, the likes of chrysanthemums, bougainvilleas, hibiscuses, with yellow bush flowers creating a bed of aesthetically cut dwarf fence, securing the students from unwanted company.

Chimdi groaned, followed by a loud thud caused by the hard impact made by her still creaseless Sureway mathematics text book.

Staring at the black inks forming the arithmetical figures on the voluminous textbook was enough to give her a head splitting migraine. She laid her head on the big textbook, sealing the deal with a second groan, a loud enough message to TJ that she had given up on whatever he was teaching her.

"You know, you can't ace your maths exam by groaning incessantly." Said TJ with a faltering stern voice that left Chimdi unmoving from her position.

"Let me be," she groaned, shutting her eyes for a few seconds. Her brain felt like they've been bombarded with so much information.

She could swear she heard a warning bell.

"Let's just leave maths for the main time." She suggested as she reached for her backpack, pulling out her literature textbook, groaning at it's weight.

"Let's answer this first." She gave him a cute smile, one he could have fallen for if the matter at hand wasn't crucial.

He shook his head, like he was shaking off a spell. "Not today sunshine," he said, taking the textbook from her. "We've covered almost all the questions in here."

Chimdi pouted, "So what? Practice makes perfect babe."

"It's perfection. You need to focus on Maths instead, to perfect yourself. If you slack this much, you might end up flopping your maths exam."

She snorted, lazily sitting up and defiantly, folded her hands. "Glad to know your faith in me can move mountains TJ."

"Well thank you." He gave a mock bow, "Come on, one more question and we'll take a break." He persuaded.

Begrudgingly, she gave in, sitting up, albeit sulking.

"If P and Q are fixed points," he began, a grin gracing his face when he spotted the glare she aimed at him. "Which moves so that X.P equals X.Q, the locus of X is what?"

She shrugged, meeting his question with silence. "I don't know. Z ? come on!!"

He gave her a look that mirrored utter disbelief. "But we just solved it minutes ago."

"There is no space in my head for maths." She flashed him a jaw dropping smile, "I think there is still enough for literature though."

TJ groaned, at the brink of giving up on her. "But we have maths in like the next seven days."

"I think I'll live till that day. Nothing wants to stick in." She defended, letting her head drop on the voluminous textbook once more.

"I think you don't want it to stick in sunshine."

"I've tried. See," she flipped through her exercise book, showing him scribblings of previous calculations. "Most times, I solve them when the teacher is in the class, when I'm out, I go blank. Just like avatar. Poof!"

"Avatar, how?" He asked, eyes dancing with amusement.

She huffed, pantomiming a disappearing sign. "When the world needed him most, he vanished. When my brain should be of utmost importance... Ring a bell?"

He fought back an amused grin. "Yeah. Horrible analogy by the way."

She flipped him the bird before groaning out in frustration.

He gave in to her protest, packing up his Maths textbook.

"I still think you're the problem, not your brain." He insisted, flipping through his Literature textbook.

"How?"

"You think, you don't know Maths," he began. "The human body has the system operator kind of relationship."

She raised a confused brow. "How?"

"The brain and mind. The brain is like a programmed software, designed to carry out tasks given by the mind."

She gave him a crazy look, nonetheless still interested in whatever he was on about.

"The brain works hand in hand with the mind, not being controlled." She argued, discarding her literature textbook.

"Believe me, the brain is nothing without the mind. You are the problem not your brain. The human brain is programmed to bid to man's will. It doesn't work on it's own, it needs a command from the mind."

She shook her head in disagreement.

"Take being in a dire situation for an instance," he began. "Let's say, a riot that has an 85 percent chance of resulting to a stampede. What will you do?"

She looked at him, totally confused, but answered nonetheless, "Run of course, who wants to get hurt?"

His grin could illuminate a dark room. "Great! You run. Now tell me, what spurred the idea of running?"

"The riot of course. Any sane person would think of doing that." Came her quick retort, accompanied by an eyeroll.

"Perfect!" He exclaimed like a mad scientist. Flaring hands and sparkly eyed. "That is exactly what I want to hear. Your mind issued a red alert, signalling to the brain that there was danger and the only option at the moment was to run. The brain carried out the action. Willing the legs to move."

"Okay?"

"Yeah you see, the human brain is like a computer, totally useless without programmings and orders from the mind."

"Do tell, how does that theory involve mathematics and my poor brain?"

"Good question. Your mind is the problem not your brain."

"You've said that already."

"Your mind has been filled with the theory about Maths not being easy or that the poor subject is a no-go area. It chants the damn conclusion like a mantra. Now that brings in the brain. Remember, the big guy is only there to carry out orders."

She nodded, still waiting for him to drive a point home.

He continued. "Your thoughts on Maths is totally poisoned. Now the brain receives a red alert which signals that, Maths has no place with him. Thus, the programming thingy has gotten involved. The brain is now compelled to act on the mind's bidding."

"Which is?"

"Not to let Maths stick in. Remember, you said you are able to solve mathematics inside the class once it's taught, but when the teacher leaves, you're all blank?"

She nodded again.

"See, the brain is simply carrying out orders from the mind. There's an already programmed action which reads, 'Maths is hard, do not indulge'." He explained with faux computerized voice, causing them to crack up.

"So," Chimdi drawled out. Marveled at his educating yet entertaining skills. "Master teach me thy ways. How do I get myself to solve a single calculation correctly?"

"Just like a computer system, reprogramming can be hella hard and needs a lot of care and time in other to keep other files intact. The human mind has to rid itself off negative thoughts on mathematics. It has to let the brain know that, maths is like a necessary, that it's a do or die. The process might be hard but totally worth the hassle."

Chimdi groaned, dropping her head on the desk in utter frustration. "But maths is Sooo hard! All those figures and alphabets cause a whirlwind in my poor brain," she groaned, a cute frown marring her face.

"Now, now. Quit having the negative thoughts and think positive. This same theory applies in real life situations. The reason why most prayers aren't answered, the reason why most ideas fail, disappointments multiplying, courtesy of our negative thoughts..."

"Our brains do whatever our minds deem fit as right. It's up to us to have positive thoughts. In a dark tunnel, we should always see the light. See the good part of life and the light it houses no matter how dim it may seem."

"Jeez inspirational speaker, where is that coming from? You're going all Oprah-ish on me." She asked, half amazed and half amused.

TJ just shrugged. "Dunno."

He really didn't know where the inspirational talk came from. All he knew was that, he needed to let her know she had him to lean on, that there was light in whichever dark tunnel she found herself in

The previous events where he'd seen her almost helpless, teary eyed, laboured breaths and scary eyed were sights that left him sleepless at night. The mere thought of whatever she might be going through leaving him every shade worried.

Yes, she was an enigma, begging to be unraveled, he wasn't going to pry words out of her mouth, rather, he'd have to wait, same time being her personal intercessor to God.

He took her hands, eyes sparkly, cheeks stretched into a gravity defying grin. "Are you ready to make room for maths in your brain?" He asked.

She bursted out in fit of laughter, accompanied by his rich ones, warm and happy.

"That sounded like an infamous alter call line, 'are you ready to accept Christ in your life' ?"

Amused, he raised a bushy brow.  "Well, have you?"

She sent him a playful glare. "Of course I have."

His smile grew wider. "Perfect! You also need Christ for this. Knowing you, you're gon' have to need divine intervention with this." His words earned him a jab on the rib.

And again, his shriek was louder than a banshee's, causing other studying students to send fire and brimstone their way.

With an apologetic nod, he aimed a glare at Chimdi who shrugged innocently in return, sticking her tongue out at him.

For a moment, TJ was caught in a second stilling daze. He'd noticed she'd been totally at ease with him since their trip to the roof top, they'd shared a lot of things, spent more time studying together rather than being with the gang and she'd even indulged him whenever he was out to joke around.

He couldn't help it when she smiled so freely, like she was soaking in the moment, putting it to memory. To him, she had the cutest smiles and laughter, dripping melodic soul soothing sounds, that pulled one in, compelling one to stare as long as  the clock ticked and air in abundant.

"You're staring." Chimdi said, suddenly uneasy.

His stares did make her feel self conscious, more than she'd ever felt. He stared like the rest of nature's goodness surrounding them had nothing on her. She gulped, the intensity of his gaze on her had her feeling things she felt, weren't meant to be felt at all.

"Why, what's wrong?" He twirled the blue ink secured between his digits, eyes, taking in her every mood.

She gathered herself together, flipping through her textbook while acting nonchalant.

"Staring is rude."

"Not when I'm having of fun."

She scoffed. "At my expense?"

"Admiring isn't making fun. It's having fun."

She sucked in a breath, trying so hard to keep her heart from jumping out her ribcage. It didn't help that his flowery words were turning her into goo.

He held her gaze for seconds too long, like an artist taking in the beauty of his masterpiece. "You've got real unique features."

  She gave up, using a scowl to mask the smile threatening to break free. "Flattery won't get you nowhere Kodiri."

"This ain't no flattery sunshine. I'm putting it out as it is."

She blinked, once, twice. He'd indirectly given her swoon worthy words and she didn't know how to handle her goddamn self. Yes, Jiki and Elo had chipped in one or two words about her hair, make up and even clothing. But TJ's words left her feeling suddenly conscious of her self.

And when she looked up to see his facial expression, she was greeted by yet another intent stare. One that left her feeling suddenly hot and giddy.

Their little moment of bliss was interrupted by an albeit, additional, but unwanted company, which had her suppressing an annoyed eye roll.

__

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.9K 3.9K 31
"Let go of me!" I yelled, trying to push Kevin off of me. He grabbed me by my hair underneath my hijab (headscarf) and pushed me to the floor. "Next...
855K 48.6K 51
"The reason we can't let go of someone is because deep inside, we still have hope." Then, let go. That so-called hope, it's destroying you. "It was...
8M 341K 52
"I hope you realize you made the worst f**king decision of your life." She could feel his cold icy blue eyes piercing through her soul. "I didn't as...
73.4K 16K 31
Tiana Dakoba isn't who everyone thought she was. To everyone, the mere sight of her oozed confidence and pride. She was the "It" girl. But no one kne...