The Broken Soundtrack

By fleurdelishe

Sometimes we choose what we only want to hear... **** Shy and awkward Jannah Mariz Colston moves to Moss Vale... More

About
MCs + OST
Track 1: Yellow
Track 2: Two Of Us
Track 3: I Could Get Used To This
Track 4: Just Friends
Track 5: Be Alright
Track 6: Therapy
Track 7: Remembering Sunday
Track 8: Strangers
Track 9: Why
Track 10: A Little Braver
Track 11: Breakeven
Track 12: You Found Me
Track 13: I Think I Might
Track 14: Still Remembering
Track 15: Words
Track 16: Truthfully
Track 18: By Your Side
Track 19: Tired Eyes
Track 20: If Eyes Could Speak
Track 21: Little Do You Know
Track 22: Walls
Track 23: What You Wanted
Track 24: Lonely Heart
Track 25: Bad Dream
Track 26: With Or Without You
Track 27: Runaway
Track 28: The Truth
Track 29: Stuck in the Middle
Track 30: How To Save A Life
Track 31: Breathe
Track 32: Stop and Stare
Track 33: Between The Raindrops
Track 34: I Don't Want To Love You
Track 35: Into My Arms
Track 36: I Guess I Just Feel Like
Track 37: No Good In Goodbye
Track 38: Come Home
Track 39: The Fault In Our Stars
Track 40: Anywhere But Here
Acknowledgement and Q&A
Bonus Track: Be Your Everything

Track 17: Oceans Between Us

136 29 352
By fleurdelishe

"He cares about you more than you ever know," Laken's words hit all the nerves in my body.

I bit my lip, fighting the urge to yell because I was embarrassed for myself. But I couldn't help it. "If he cares so much, then why did he lie to me? Why did he make me feel special when he's still in love with his ex-girlfriend?"

Laken stared at me, moving a step forward, but suddenly stopped when I started bawling. "I... don't know."

I didn't want anyone to see me like this, especially not in front of his bestfriend. It was humiliating enough that I allowed myself to be fooled by Asher.

"Jam!"

That's him. His voice sounded strange, but spending time with him for almost two months made it easy for me to distinguish it even from all the noise in the background.

"Jam!"

I refused to turn around and face him. I just let him call out to me from a distance. That way, I wouldn't be able to lose myself to the only guy who made me fall in love for the first time.

"Jam, dear! Are you sleeping?"

A few knocks later, my mind was back in the real world. The Script serenaded me in my room as I rubbed the sleep off of my eyes. Stretching my neck, I found my opened Chemistry book on my desk, few paragraphs highlighted in yellow marker. I couldn't believe I fell asleep while studying for our midterms next week.

When my phone buzzed, Aunt Claire's message popped up. "We're having dinner next door. Come down when you're awake."

Great! I just hope Grandma Olive and Grandpa Allan don't call their grandson again. Otherwise, I might just lose my mind.

Standing up, I reached for the remote on my bedside table, turning off the music player. After washing up and changing my clothes, I finally went downstairs and found Aunt Claire on her phone, sitting on the couch. When she noticed my presence, she finally looked up and smiled. "Ready to go?"

I nodded as I walked over to the shoe rack on the corner to grab my slippers. I was about to tuck my phone in my jeans pocket, when it buzzed again. This time, it was from Zander. "Can I look at your notes yesterday?"

Sighing, I put down my phone on the side table, ignoring Aunt Claire's confused look. Zander was the type of student who rarely took down notes in class, but also couldn't store all the information in his head, so he would end up asking me tons of questions about our lectures. I just knew he wouldn't let me have a peaceful study night again.

"You're not taking your phone, hija?"

I shook my head, marching my way out of the door.

#

"It's been a while since we had dinner together," Aunt Claire said as she took another bite of the salad.

"Yeah, I think the last time was when Ash was here."

My mouth stopped chewing the bits of chicken upon hearing Grandma Olive's comment. I knew coming here would only make me remember him more. If only the grandparents knew...

"Well, I have been doing afternoon shifts the past weeks and Jam here has been busy with her assignments," Aunt Claire explained, glancing at me. I just flashed her a small smile, munching on my fried chicken again.

"I see. You've all been busy then. Even Asher hasn't called us since my birthday," Grandpa Allan mentioned, the wrinkles on his forehead appearing.

I suddenly remembered that day Asher casually said he missed me. And that same day, he was back with his ex-girlfriend. Did he actually think I would be all right after that? Was he really that clueless? Or was I just assuming things when he was here?

"Jam dear, are you all right?" Aunt Claire snapped me out of my reverie, her worried eyes fixed at mine. I just bobbed my head at her as I grabbed another chicken.

"I think Asher's video is out," Grandma Olive suddenly exclaimed, standing up and grabbing the iPad on the kitchen counter. "How does this work again?" She inquired as Grandpa Allan stood up to help her with the gadget.

Asher's video? My eyes followed Grandma Olive as she went back to her seat with the iPad still on her hands. I held my breath, hoping there was a way for me to exit the situation, but I didn't want to appear rude to the elders so I just stayed still, gripping the napkin on my lap.

"Ah, it's this one!"

I swallowed the last of my chicken, preparing myself to be torn into pieces. When the video played, I let my eyes absorb the beauty of the blonde guy on the screen. It went on to flash the ocean waves as his velvet voice finally resonated through the speaker.

There's an ocean between us

there's a hole in my soul

Tell me you love me again

I will wait until the end.

I tried not to pay attention to the words he was singing. Forcing my head down, I finally freed myself from his striking blue eyes. I let out a breath, thinking that I was already safe. But his voice still echoed in my ears, as if he was there talking to me.

"Is that his girlfriend?" Aunt Claire's question pulled my eyes back on the screen and I froze, seeing him and Tiffany playing around at the beach. His hands were wrapped over her back as he lifted her up and spun her around. Like in a cheesy romance flick, only theirs was real...

I was wrong. He was definitely not talking to me.

#

Ever since Asher's music video came out, there was nothing else I could think about. The timing was absolutely perfect, making it difficult for me to study for our midterm exams. It didn't help that almost every girl in my class kept on gushing over him, talking about his song and how perfect his girlfriend was for him.

The only person who would understand me right now was probably Fiona. But she was too busy with her own life that I barely even see her.

"Hello! Earth to Jannah!" Zander tapped his pen on my hand, waking me up from my trance. "Am I talking to a zombie here?"

"I'm listening," I lied. I actually had no idea what he was talking about. Even though our project was done, Zander and I had been hanging out together almost everyday. He just wouldn't leave me alone, which was both annoying and reassuring at the same time.

"What was I saying then?" His eyes squinted, testing me.

"Uh..."

"See! You're totally not!" He pouted, crossing his arms over his chest. "I was talking about how you're not a fan of Asher when literally everyone in this town is talking about him."

Right, that one! "I just... don't like him." Shrugging, I pretended to study for our last exam, even though my mind was getting hazy from the sudden thought of him again.

Zander chuckled. "What? Do you like know him personally or something? Cause I sense a different vibe from you every time I mention him."

"The only vibe I'm radiating right now is irritation, Zander," I pointed out.

Instead of keeping his mouth shut, he clapped his hands as if I was being awarded on stage. It was good that I booked a private study room for us right now. If not, I would be too humiliated to be sitting next to him. "Wow! I like that! The next time those bitchy cheerleaders come at you again, you should be imbibing that attitude, girl."

I shook my head in disbelief, burying my head on the book I was holding.

"Wait, here's a thought!" Zander spoke again. This guy just wouldn't let me study in peace. "Why don't you join the taekwondo club? You'll learn self-defense and maybe some more spunk."

Lifting my head, I saw him wiggle his brows at me, his hands balled into fists and ready to punch someone.

"I saw the flyer days ago and thought it was perfect for you," he confessed.

"Did you slip it in my locker?" I questioned him with creased brows.

"Did I slip it in your locker?" He repeated, nodding. "Of course, I did! After seeing those girls insult you and you did nothing, I figured you should learn how to stand up for yourself."

"By doing taekwondo?"

"Well, duh. Obviously, it's to protect yourself from Jordan as well. Your boyfriend won't always be there, you know. You have to be prepared."

I sighed, remembering that time Laken saved me again. "Are you Laken's spy or something?"

"You could say that. I just think you look good together."

"We're not together, Zander," I finally blurted out, just to silence him.

When his eyes widened, I knew he'd be firing me more questions than usual. "What do you mean you're not together? He just announced to the whole school that you are."

"He just did that to get back at Myers and Alicia," I answered.

"Did he say that?"

"No, but-"

"Then, you can't assume that's the reason. I still ship you two," he insisted, clucking his tongue.

I just let him think what he wanted to think as I went back to my book. I would never win against Zander anyway.

#

I wasn't supposed to sign up for the taekwondo club. But somehow, Zander's convincing words lured me in, so I ended up sitting with a bunch of students in white uniform on a Saturday morning, instead of working for Clyde in the store. Fiona was kind enough to take my shift today, so I might have to repay her another time.

Gripping the white belt tight on my waist, I stood up, facing myself on the huge mirror in front of us. My puffy eyes were evident despite my attempt of icing them out this morning. I just had to trust that being here would lessen the tears that I would be shedding in the future.

When a middle-aged man in black belt entered the room, everyone bowed at him, so I did the same. I assumed he was the teacher, judging by the way they were greeting him. He was fully covered with the exact same uniform as ours, but I could tell from the way he was standing that he had a lean body.

"Good morning everyone! I hope you enjoy today's session," he started to speak. "I would like to welcome the new members as well. Thank you for joining us. You'll have a fun time here."

After the short introductions, which involved myself stuttering in front of everyone, the teacher, Mr. Choi finally started to show us some warm-up and stretching exercises. I couldn't even reach my toes while bending down to save my life and yet, I heard the one next to me say that it was just "simple" exercises. I suddenly regretted my decision to come here.

When the door swung open, everyone stopped on their positions as Mr. Choi greeted the familiar guy entering inside the room. I felt my gut twisting inside, realising that Laken was there. "Sorry, sir," he bowed to the teacher.

"Mr. Thompson, I'm glad to see you back here," Mr. Choi patted his back, smiling at Laken.

"I've got nothing else to do now that I'm suspended in the game, sir."

My jaw dropped, hearing him sat that. Suspended? Why would they suspend the star quarterback?

"Ah, yes I heard about that. I'm sure they'll let you in soon enough."

I turned around, camouflaging myself with the students in front of me. I came here to learn how to save myself. Ignoring Laken would be easy, but not when he was trying to act all boyfriend-y with me.

"Are you following me?" His voice caught me off guard as I slowly turned to face him.

"I should be asking you that," I mumbled.

He scoffed, pointing at the black belt over his waist. "I trained here first."

I shook my head at him, returning my focus back to our teacher. It shouldn't be difficult to ignore Laken. I just had to pretend that I didn't know him.

"All right. I need you to pair up for the next session," Mr. Choi announced after the exhausting half an hour warm-up. When he pointed his finger at me and Laken, I knew I was doomed. So much for learning self-defense...

~The song lyrics are from Oceans Between Us by The Icarus Account, which I think is suited for the chapter.  Let's just pretend that it was sung by Asher Felix tho hahaha 😅

How are we all feeling about this chapter? Keep pouring out your emotions in the comments section so I know which route to take... hehe

Thank you again and see you on the next track! ^^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.3K 1.9K 31
||Wattys 2022 Shortlist|| Kian Advani was a closeted queer in his high school. Always in denial of his true feelings and emotions. So much so that h...
800K 14.1K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...
4.2M 103K 68
Danielle and Nate haven't gotten along in years, but when Nate discovers Danielle was raped the year before, he's determined to fight for her and for...
56.9K 6.8K 53
{18+} 🏆 WATTYS 2023 SHORTLISTED ROMANCE Zemira Ford knows a thing or two about paparazzi and being under the limelight. What she does not know is...