Hope and Devotion (Chapter O...

By tasha028

Ashe and Rasler married for peace, but lost it all soon after. Now they fight side by side to restore for the... More

Hope and Devotion
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Two)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Three)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Four)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Five)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Six)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Seven)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Nine)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Ten)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Eleven)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Twelve)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Thirteen)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Fourteen)
Hope and Devotion (Chapter Fifteen)

Hope and Devotion (Chapter Eight)

23 0 0
By tasha028

The soft light of early morning filtered through the curtains, Ashe propped herself up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She slipped on her nightgown making sure not to disturb Rasler, who quietly slumbered. Several days ago, he had recovered enough to be finally allowed to stay in their room. His illness was passing, with the help of various potions and tinctures, and the arrow wound looked not much more than a mere scar that occasionally pained him.

While her husband recovered from his wounds, her brothers went off to battle, in an attempt to recapture the lost fortress of Nalbina, and to prevent the invasion forces from getting any closer to the capital. All of the efforts were futile, and Dalmasca's army was withering away with each passing day. Two of remaining brothers, had died, trying to defend their land, and family. She received the new of their deaths, on a cold, somber morning, with the dark grey clouds rolling in from the southern Giza Plains. She wept, as she ran up to Rasler's bedside, part of her refusing to believe that they were gone. He did his best to comfort her, holding her tightly, and just listening to her pleas, until she was ready to confront reality. Later that evening, Ashe wore black, and wheeled in her husband, who was still too weak to walk, to the funeral. With all the losses on Dalmasca's side, her father decided to surrender, to prevent any more destruction to his people. The decision was not an easy one, Rasler and Leo being both against the idea at first, but Ashe agreed with Raminas' decision, trusting in his wisdom, and love for his people.

"Morning, dear." Rasler sat up in bed, "You seem quieter." He reached over, downing down a small bottle of medicine, while grimacing. "Soon this will be done with." He muttered to himself.

"I was thinking, about father's decision. It is for the best, but I have a bad feeling, like it's not going to go well for us." She played with a loose thread, on the comforter.

The bed, creaked as he moved closer, "It's going to be fine, I promise." His lips brushed against her temple. "It's uncertain, but we shall make the best of it."

Ashe nodded, and planted a kiss on his cheek, before stepping out of bed.

Following suit Rasler stepped out of bed wincing as he put weight on his injured leg. His knee had not healed well, despite the numerous treatments applied to it. It would take time for him to be able to walk without pain and unassisted.

"Are you in pain?" She rushed to his side, picking up his crutches, and offering them to him.

"Yes, just give me a moment." He slipped on a brace, magicked to alleviate some pain, onto his knee, and reached for a cane instead.

"Did I wear you out or injure you last night?" She blushed and looked away, feeling faintly guilty, for her persistence last night. It had been nearly a month, since she and her husband shared relations of the intimate sort, and she insisted that they start once he was healthy enough.

He shook his head and smiled. "Not at all, actually I think it helped, more than anything else." He leaned in and kissed her.

"I don't know what to do after I give birth. Six weeks without sex, I was getting frustrated after the second." Her lips curled into a smile, knowing that was one of the least unpleasant things, about childbirth.

"There's ways to circumvent that issue." He whispered into her ear. "And to tell you the truth, had I not developed that illness I would have bedded you, right there in the physician's room, as soon as the stitches were removed."

"I don't think that would have been very appropriate, and you're lying, you could hardly lift you head from the pillow"

"Perhaps I am, but that doesn't make it any different." He eyed her hips, pausing. "Well, we have much to do…later." He wrapped his arm around her waist, and led her back to bed, placing light kisses on her flesh.

0o0

Ashe and Rasler walked through the palace, their footsteps echoing through the palace halls. Her black skirt fluttered behind her every step; she wore black out of respect for her brothers, and all those who gave their lives for Dalmasca's freedom. Her husband also wore black for his fallen comrades, and for his family lost to the hellfire of war. Today their sacrifices would be remembered, as her father and brother would sign the treaty ending the war. There was little time left as the Archadian army inched towards the capital, with the sole goal of conquering in mind.

They were to see her father and brother off, before they went to Nalbina for the treaty signing. The entrance hall was as somber as the rest of the palace; the servants were much quieter than usual, as the losses from the war began to affect every citizen of the kingdom.

"Father…" She took a few steps towards Raminas. "How long do you plan on staying?"

He shook his head, "Long enough to end this war, we before lose anything more." He paused placing his hand on her forearm, "A few days at the most, the rest of the business will be conducted in the palace, hopefully."

Ashe knew that meant that she was to entertain the Archadian officials that would come to the palace, after the treaty signing. She was not sure if she could manage to treat the same men that injured her husband, and killed her brothers with respect and hospitality, that etiquette called for. "Well, I shall see you then. Take care." It was best that she not mention how bad she felt about the whole ordeal of signing the treaty.

Rasler leaned against his cane, he intended to go along with them to sign the treaty, he was rightfully king of his homeland despite not being yet coronated, but his injuries prevented him from traveling and thus he stayed behind. "May you have a safe journey, and the negotiations go well." The former prince, now king, said to his father-in-law.

"If this goes well, then there is hope for your country," Raminas then to turned the the couple. "Good bye to you both and take care." With that, he left with his remaining son.

Ashe saw her father and brother off, knowing that the treaty would ensure her country's freedom. Even though it was for the best, she could not shake the feeling of uncertainty. Perhaps it was just her nerves again.

0o0

The bright morning sun shone through the windows of Ashe's private parlor. She poured out a cup of tea for Rasler and set the pot aside. They received no news yet from her father about Nalbina, presumably this meant that the negotiations went well.

Rasler spread a layer of jam onto his pastry, "Awfully, quiet isn't it?" He set the knife down, and took a bite.

"It is." Ashe replied, "I'm not sure if I like or not, doesn't feel quite right, especially after the chaos that was out wedding." She nibbled on a piece of fruit, sucking on the rind for a second.

"Still worried?"

"Yes of course." She set the rind down, "And you?"

He nodded briefly, "I just want all this over, and done with. I know it's complicated, but shouldn't we have the power to simplify it?" He took another bite.

She took a sip of her drink, "If only things worked that way. It took Raithwall many years to form the alliance."

"True. If he could do that, then there is hope even for us." He chewed on his pastry, "Not that I plan on forming an alliance that spans two continents."

"Of course you don't." Ashe said with a smile.

A sharp urgent knock came from the door, and echoed through the room. Rasler perked his head up, "Come in."

The door slammed open to reveal Vossler, his armor coated in a layer of dust, the stench of sweat and blood permeated the room. His expression was grim, and clouded with worry. "Lord Rasler, Lady Ashe you must quit this place at once, there is little time left."

Rasler set down his breakfast, and cocked an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Vossler hung his head. "King Raminas… he was slain by Captain Rosenburg. The whole treaty signing was a trap to dispose of the king. I'm sorry."

He got up from his chair and reached for his cane. "That can't be, he saved me from certain death."

Ashe looked down, and wrung her hands, tears streaming down her face. "No, that can't be, he is supposed to protect us, he would never do that. He was supposed to stay at the palace. Why would he?" She refused to believe him, there was simply no way that he would betray his adopted homeland, Basch was too loyal to them.

Vossler shook his head, "I do not know. I'm sorry." He paused, "We must leave at once, the Archadian army makes to Rabanstre. We leave for Bhujerba, as soon as it is safe to do so, for now you two shall hide."

"Where?" Rasler asked.

"There is a place in Lowtown, we leave from the palace through the waterway."

"But… my injury, I fear it would make this difficult." Rasler gestured to his knee and cane.

"I will guide you both, and Lady Ashe knows her way, there is no need to worry." Vossler turned to Ashe, "Meet me in an hour, at the entrance to the Waterway, bring, clothes, weapons, potions, money, and whatever else you may need. Try not to bring anything conspicuous."

Ashe wiped her tears away, and bolted out of the room, and into her dressing room, the door slammed behind her. She nearly tore off her dress tossing the silk black outfit aside, and abandoning the flimsy shoes that matched the outfit. She dug through her delicate silk gowns and dresses, each one more gorgeous than the last, all the colors and beading blurred into each other as she sifted through them. Never had she realized how impractical and conspicuous her clothing was, most of it would tear, or constrict her breathing if she wore it, and the embroidery, and beading would single her out in a crowd. At last, she found it, a skirt that could withstand abuse, it may not be appropriate for a married woman, or anyone for that matter, to wear such bright colors, or such short a skirt, but it would have to do. She slipped on the bright pink skirt, and tightened the belt around her hips. She sorted through her clothes, pulling out a cream and gold top. Finally she needed shoes, she found her sturdiest boots and put them on.

She grabbed a bag, and began to place several handfuls of undergarments, a few nightgowns and changes of clothes, and some old jewelry. There wasn't much else left in her dressing room, that was practical for her to bring, but she was not ready to leave yet. She crouched down, and clutched the bag tightly, as a few tears slipped out. Father was gone, and life as she knew would no longer be the same. Who knew what was outside of the palace, where the enemy soldiers would be. Was it even safe for her and Rasler to leave? They were leaving for Bhujerba, but what would happen once they arrived? They would be safe, that was sure, but could she help her people, instead of watching from afar. There were too many questions and few answers. Ashe picked herself up and left her dressing room.

Outside, Rasler has already taken out his clothes and laid them out on the bed, along with his medicines, and crutches. "Ashe, it's going to be okay." He walked over, and wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer.

"I've never been so scared in my life. It's like everything falling apart all at once, and there's no way to stop it." She tucked her head under his chin, closing the gap between them.

He sat on the edge of their bed, and pulled her down alongside with him. "There's times when we must act, no matter what we are feeling inside. We have to find the strength to carry on no matter what."

"I know. I know. I still can't believe it though. There's no way any of this could have happened, it's all too surreal." She buried her face into her palms, trying not to cry.

He held her tightly and stroked her cheek. "I'm sorry. It's been hard on both of us, but we have each other to pull through."

She closed her eyes taking in a deep breath to steady herself. It was not the most convenient time to break down in shock, considering how much time they had left. How was she supposed to react? She was not the type to accept anyone's death, with a stony face. She needed time to react that she simply did not have. A soft handkerchief brushed against her cheek, as her husband wiped her tears for her. Ashe felt the heat rise to her cheeks, and she stepped of the bed. "Sorry for that. I should have not acted like that." She turned around her hands quivering, as she began to pack her husband's belongings.

Rasler shook his head, "Don't apologize. 'Tis normal." He offered her the handkerchief, which she silently took. "I'll get our weapons, and some money." His footsteps and the tap of his cane echoed as he left the room.

She folded his shirts laying them neatly at the bottom of the bag, along with his pants, and medicines. The repetitiveness and mindlessness of the task, was strangely and unexpectedly calming. She would have much preferred a walk or a bath, but she lacked the luxury of time. Finally, she placed his medicines atop, and closed the bag, before straightening out her own things in her bag. Once done, she closed the bags and placed them side by side on the bed.

As soon as she finished packing, Rasler returned carrying a swords and shields. He took out two pouches of money, "We should both carry half." Ashe nodded and tucked one away, while he did the same. "Anything else we need?"

"I don't think so, but." She turned, took a picture from their wedding day, and placed in the bag, along with a few books about pregnancy. "It's for incase I…" She blushed, and placed a hand on her stomach. "Well you know. I mean I don't plan to, but things happen and…"

"It's understandable," he placed his hand atop hers.

"I think that's everything we really need. If it's needed we can get it later right?"

He nodded, "Right. Let's get going." He tucked his sword into his belt, and picked up his bag.

Ashe did the same, and followed him out the room. As they passed through the palace halls, she could not help but wonder if this was the last time that they would be in the palace. She had spent most her life within these halls and corridors, and to be forced to leave them was too much. Everything she knew and loved was in the palace, her earliest and some of her most pleasant memories took place within the place. If all went well the war would end soon, and they would be safe back home.

They passed seven hundred years of portraits showing House Dalmasca's and House Nabradia's long history, and now the two branches of House Galtea stood reduced to only her and her husband. Now it was up to them, to restore it all to its former glory, while bringing peace back to their homelands.

"This way." Ashe turned a corner and lead Rasler into the kitchens. The kitchen was quiet, and empty. It seemed as if the servants were told to leave as well, which was not surprising considering the circumstances. The door swung open, revealing a small chamber were the silverware was held.

Vossler stood in the corner his hand on his sword. "I see that two are ready?" He paused, "We have little time, and even as we speak they close in on the city, like predator to his prey. We leave at once."

Rasler looked up, frowning a bit. "After we leave what happens?"

"I have arranged a room for you two to stay the night; it is in Lowtown, were you can easily hide. And then we leave for Bhujerba, to Ondore's home." He opened the door on the floor which lead to a staircase. Ashe and her brothers had been the ones who had rediscovered the exit, while playing as young children. After an hour they were found to be missing, and a search was called for the royal heirs. Vossler then found them playing in the waterway, not realizing the worry they caused. They were sworn to not reveal the location, as to not compromise security. "I'll go first, and you two stay close behind. There's fiends here, so be on the lookout." His boots clunked as he took the first few steps down the stairs. Rasler followed taking his time between each step, as to not aggravate his injury; Ashe came in behind to?" He directed the question to Rasler.

"I need the cane, and I still have pain, stiffness, occasionally my knee will become unstable and give out, should I not be cautious." The prince replied as he walked down the stairs taking one at time.

Vossler nodded, "Well, you shall only fight, if truly necessary. I am quite sure Lady Ashe, is willing to fight, and able to handle whatever roams in these sewers."

"I am." She replied simply.

Water seeped into her boots as she stepped on the landing, she gripped the hilt of her sword, as the screeching, and squeaks of animals could be heard farther into waterway. She shivered; the air was thick with humidity and chilly, like the desert nights. A few minutes into their escape and already her clothes were damp and clinging to her to her skin.

A few paces ahead Vossler, attacked a steeling, which countered, and whizzed past Ashe, grazing her cheek. Rasler stepped aside and leaned against the wall, gripping his sword in case he truly needed to fight. Ashe unsheathed her sword, and swung at the creature. It made contact, injuring its wing. It fell to the ground, and writhing on the floor.

Vossler finished off for her. "Are you injured?"

She stroked her cheek, feeling a raised tender scratch on her jaw line. "Not really, there's no blood."

"Good, then we carry on." He led the couple through the winding and twisting sewers, only stopping to kill the monsters that occasionally harassed them or to take a break from walking.

After one last flight of stairs, they arrived in Rabanastre's Lowtown. The locked gate swung open, letting the group pass through. The labyrinthine corridors were stocked with merchant's goods, and the scent of spices, fragrant woods, and herbs, permeated the air. Rolls of bright silks were stacked neatly along the wall. It was all quiet, save for their footsteps and those of the merchants who came with their families in an attempt to hide from the impeding invasion. There was a sense of uncertainly and doom, about the place, odd considering that under different circumstances she would love to explore.

Vossler stopped and unlocked a door. "It's not much, but it should do until we leave for Bhujerba. Make yourselves at home." He motioned to the room.

Ashe followed her husband into the room. It was small, much smaller than their bedroom, perhaps only slightly larger than her dressing room. The elaborately tiled walls were covered in faded rugs, their elaborate designs still showing through despite their current state. Rugs, divided the room in half creating another makeshift room. In the corner, there was a rather small bed, covered in faded bedding. Ashe set her bag down, and took a seat on one the chairs that creaked under her weight. Rasler sat on the bed, setting his cane and sword aside.

"I shall take my leave. There is food and drink on the table." Vossler motioned to the table, "I shall return early in the morning. In the mean time make yourselves comfortable, but do not leave. Goodbye." And with that he left the room, leaving Ashe and Rasler to themselves.

She turned to her husband, the chair creaking once again, and wobbling unsteadily. "So now what?"

"We wait, I guess." He rolled up his pant leg, and adjusted the brace on his knee.

She shook her head, "I mean, what happens after we arrive in Bhujerba?"

"I… we will surrender as your lord father intended before…" He trailed off, and then continued, "After the treaty is signed, we will resume our positions, as king and queen."

Ashe was relieved that he avoided the subject of her father's death. "This means that our kingdoms unite, right?"

"Most likely. It would make things easier to manage for both of us, since we shall both be rulers in our own right. I think that living in separate courts would ruin our marriage." He smoothed out the bedding, and yawned.

"I'd rather not think of the implications of living that way." She turned the knob of the nearby radio, that had seen better days, the wood was nicked and scratched, and the fabric on the speakers torn off.

"Me either." He shook his head, as the newscaster over the radio began to report on the war. "Trying to keep up with what's happening?"

Ashe nodded, and put her finger to her lips. She then motioned to the radio.

The voice of the newscaster was tinged with static, "In leading news our very own King Raminas, was slain during the treaty signing at Nabina fortress. Captain Ronsenbug confessed to the murder, and to high treason. He is the custody of the Archadian Military, along with other accomplices all Dalmascan soldiers."

Ashe looked down and buried her face in her palms. She needed to be strong, for her people, and her husband. But the news only served as a painful reminder of her losses. Rasler beckoned her over to the bed, offering her a spot next to him. She sat down, feeling her husband's hand rest on her shoulder.

"After, the Marquis of Bhujerba announced that Princess Ashelia and her husband Prince Rasler were both found dead. Her highness was believed to have committed suicide after hearing of her father's death, and her husband died from complications of the injuries he received at Nalbina. Marquis Ondore gave his speech earlier today.

'Sons and Daughters of Dalmasca, I beg you lay down your Arms. Raise Songs of prayer in their Stead. Prayer for His Majesty King Raminas, ever merciful. A man devoted wholly to Peace.

'Prayer, too, for the noble Princess Ashe, who, wrought with grief at her kingdom's defeat, has taken her own life. And for her husband the valiant Prince Rasler, who not only fought for his homeland, and Dalmasca, but succumbed to the illness that his injuries have wrought.

' Know also that Capt. Basch fon Ronsenburg, for Incitement of Sedition and the assassination of H.R.M. King Raminas, has been found Guilty of High Treason and put to his death. They who at this late hour choose still the sword are cut of the same Cloth as the Capt.: Traitors who would have lead Dalmasca to her ruin'.

"Wise words for such a dark time."

Ashe sat still for a moment her mouth agape, she was now considered dead. There was no way that they could leave, as she ceased to exist. Why would her only family, do such a thing to her, unless he wished for Dalmasca to become an imperial territory. He would never betray her like that, leaving her to fend for herself. She leaned in closer, and buried her face in her husband's chest, as hot tears streamed down her face. Rasler held her tightly, but said nothing. The newscaster mentioned something about the incoming invasion to Rabanastre. All hope for peace was lost now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

487 14 7
Au- 🔞 A woman who has fallen on hard times when she meets a mafia boss who wants to help. She's led down a path of destruction in order to help the...
89.9K 4K 134
[[MATURE CONTENT]] Pack, family, mate. Loyalty, respect, honor. These are the words that form the foundation of the wolf society. At six years old, E...
885 73 61
[COMPLETED] The question has always been about love. What is it? What does it feel like? Where does it come from? For her, this question linger...
782 59 27
WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS SCENES THAT SOME MAY FIND TRIGGERING. UPDATE: SUNDAY HEADS UP: I associate music a lot with writing. One I can do, the o...