Kitten (Brian&Leah,1)

By Alwyn_Knighton

He's the guy moms warn their daughters about. Bold, outspoken, and self-confident, Brian O'Brien returns to h... More

Foreword
1. Home Again
2. Stay Away
3. The Legend Is Back
4. Charity Case
5. The O'Brien Men
6. The Invitation
7. Savage
9. The Temple
10. Grounded
11. Movies and Convos
12. The Offer
Characters
BOOK TRAILER
13. His Place
14. Sleepless
15. The Date
16. Call Her
17. Bucket Lists
18. We'll Be There
19. A Rescue Mission
20. Whoa, Tiger
21. Average
22. Eighteen
23. Too Good
24. Like Casper
25. Wanna Be
26. Little One
27. Cockroach
28. Heartbroken
29. Dakota
30. Sick Games
31. Kisses and Blows
32. Regrets
33. Real
34. Get Out
35. Secrets
36. Big Brother
37. Someone Like Him
38. Happy Birthday
39. Tequila and the Stars
44. The Decision
45. Tiger
46. Until This Night
47. The Moon and the Sun
48. The Truth
49. Everything but Us
50. Because of Me
51. I Love You
EPILOGUE
40. The Future
41. The Fight
42. A Heart-to-heart
43. Forgiveness and Revelations

8. I'm Glad You Came

8.6K 459 267
By Alwyn_Knighton

I stand in O'Brien's backyard, wondering what I'm doing here.

I wasn't going to accept his invitation, and I didn't believe his apologies. He's an arrogant ass who never thinks about others and how his words make them feel.

I changed my mind when Mom went to look for a job again, and Gavin refused to see me, saying he needed to study.

Mom would be furious if I left the house, but since we don't talk to anyone in town, the chances of someone telling her I disobeyed her orders are slim.

My eyes sweep over the crowd in front of me, and I spot O'Brien standing next to a good-looking guy. He's tall and looks familiar.

O'Brien lays his eyes on me and saunters my way. It's the second time I've seen him so close. Gavin isn't short, but I have to crane my neck to look at O'Brien. He's strong, too, but isn't bulky at all.

"Kitten," he says. "Welcome to the lion's den. I'm glad you came."

"You convinced me." I shrug.

O'Brien smirks and points to the grill. "The guy over there is my brother Jimmy. I'll introduce you to him in a while. The man singing next to him is my father."

"And I'm Brian's mother, Aria," a woman says. It's hard to tell how old she is. Thin and pretty, she has a genuine smile on her face, and her brown hair falls over her shoulders in beautiful waves. "What's your name?"

"Leah," I say, shaking her hand.

"How did you and Brian meet?" Aria asks.

I want to answer, but O'Brien butts in, "Don't harass her, Mom. Leah's our neighbor."

Aria slaps O'Brien's chest. "Where are your manners? I wasn't harassing anyone. I was just talking to Leah. Better bring us some food. The steaks must be ready."

O'Brien nods and saunters away. Every girl's eyes are glued to him, and heat creeps up my cheeks.

"So, have you lived here long?" Aria asks.

I tear my gaze away from Brian. "My mom and I moved here in September."

"Didn't she come here today?"

"No," I say. "She had to go into town."

It's not a lie, but Mom would never go to a party like this one. She'd be shocked at the bikes and loud music and would spend all the time complaining.

O'Brien pushes through the crowd, holding two plates full of steak, salad, and baked potatoes.

"Here, Kitten," he says, giving one plate to me. "There's more; Jimmy told me to wait. We didn't think so many people would come."

"It's okay," I say, much lower than I wanted to.

Aria smiles, looking at her son and then at me. "How did you get that nickname?"

"Cause she's got claws. Meow."

My face turns crimson, and Aria booms with laughter. "Don't mind him, Leah. It runs in the family."

"The O'Brien men."

I turn around. Jimmy winks at me. "Hey, Beautiful. Was the little fucker bothering you? I can whip his ass."

"No," I say and laugh when O'Brien shoves his brother and crosses his arms.

"I'm Jimmy," the guy says.

"She knows your name. Let her eat, Jim." O'Brien scowls.

Jimmy squeezes my shoulder. "Eat well, Beautiful." He walks away, and after a while, I notice him taking pictures with some guests.

Aria and I eat in silence. It's been a couple of days without food, and everything's too tasty not to devour it. I savor each bite, hoping I can get some more without seeming desperate.

When our plates are empty, Aria excuses herself and goes to chat with her husband. I'm alone, but it doesn't last long.

"Leah!" Annie grins as she rushes to me with Mac at her heels. "I'm glad you came," she says. "This is Mac; I don't think you've met."

"No, we haven't," I say and smile at the tattooed guy. "I'm Leah."

"Nice to meet you. Are you having fun?"

"I am."

Annie glances around and grabs my hand. "I'm starving; let's get something to eat."

She drags me to the grill, and my plate's full of food again. Mac stays chatting with O'Brien and his brother, and Annie and I find a quiet spot next to the fence where we can eat and chat.

"We couldn't talk at school," Annie says. "I was afraid you wouldn't come."

"I wanted to talk to you," I say between bites. "It's just that Gavin—"

Annie snorts. "You're allowed to have your friends. Gavin's a big boy, and he doesn't seem to have a problem leaving you alone. Otherwise, he'd be here too."

"I guess," I say.

Annie appears pensive for a moment. "Listen, why don't you come to The Temple tomorrow night? Everyone will be there."

I frown. "The Temple?"

"It's our meeting spot in the woods on the edge of the town. We go there to hang out and have some drinks."

I laugh. "My mom won't let me, Annie. I can only go out with Gavin."

Annie rolls her eyes. "Of course. Then, bring him."

"Are you sure?"

"Why not? We don't bite."

"I know you don't, but I'm not sure he'll want to go."

Annie grins. "Well, you can tell your mom you're going with him and go with Brian or me instead. Brian's your neighbor; he can give you a ride."

There's no way in hell I'd go anywhere with O'Brien, but I shrug and don't tell Annie she's wrong.

"Think about it," Annie says.

I nod. We go on eating and discussing the celebration until Mac's next to us, and I leave the two of them alone.

"Enjoying the party, Kitten?" O'Brien's deep voice sends tingles down my arms.

I toy with the sleeve of my shirt. "I am. Thanks."

"It's not over yet; Jimmy will sing later, and we'll have some coffee and cake. You're staying, aren't you?"

"What time is it?"

"Almost six."

My eyes widen. Mom will be home soon. If I'm not there, I'll be in trouble, which I'd rather avoid.

"I'd love to, but I can't. I have to go."

"To sulk in your room again?" O'Brien says with a smirk.

"You can't help being rude, can you?" I huff.

He laughs. "Of course, Princess. Come on; I'll walk you home."

"My house is next to yours," I say.

"And it's already dark. Your claws only come out with me. I'd rather not risk it."

I roll my eyes. O'Brien puts his hand on my shoulder and nudges me forward. I wave goodbye to Aria and Jimmy, who smile at us from a couple of feet away.

We walk the short distance separating our houses in silence. O'Brien breaks it. "So, you and Ferdinand will come to our little meetup, am I right?"

"He's Gavin," I whisper.

O'Brien shrugs. "Whatever. So?"

"I have to ask him."

A condescending chuckle escapes O'Brien's mouth. "I hope he's man enough to go there with his girl, although I doubt it."

I kick a pebble. "Why don't you like him?"

O'Brien laughs. "Why should I?"

"Well, he did nothing to you."

"True," O'Brien says. "But—"

He stops talking and halts. My eyes flare — Gavin's standing next to his car, scowling as he looks in our direction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3M 411K 54
Ranked #01 for Teen Fiction X4 *A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY!* WHS Story of the Month Winner: Teen Fiction The Fiction Awards Winner 2017; Best Overall S...
7 1 1
Bethany is struggling to escape small town life. All she wants is to graduate high school and get as far away from Fort Grange as her limited funds...
362K 10.5K 41
Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikki_k123 Ellie has lived in Santa Barbara her entire life with her parents and...
18K 430 17
Maya has had a rough past. From her parents dying, to being abused by her step dad, to jumping from foster home to foster home can be a lot for a tee...