After The Contract | cb

By lisha-stories

Part II to Love Under Contract - As if trying to find a balance between marriage and running two successful i... More

0 | Description
2 | When You're Ready
3 | Stay With Me
4 | Side Effects of You
5 | Expectations
6 | Call Me When You're Sober
7 | Same Side
8 | Walk On Water
9 | Scared Of Lonely
10 | Gonna Love Me
11 | Family Fued
12 | Apple Juice
13 | Sweetest Devotion
14 | Tragic
15 | Baby Powder
16 | Till It Happens To You

1 | Danger

5.2K 462 252
By lisha-stories

"DANGER
You're in DANGER
No hard feelings, right or wrong
Weak or strong, I don't make the laws
In yo zone niggas gon' get they fuckin
Head blown
Because they got the block on lock
The trunk stay locked
Glock on cock
The block stay hot"
- Erykah Badu

"Listen up! We're doing promotions today!" I announced while walking into the underground warehouse, my two personal guards right beside me. I could see the look of confusion on everyone's faces as they stopped what they were doing to give me their undivided attention. I've never stepped foot in one of our warehouses. My father always drilled in me that doing this type of work was beneath me as a leader, and looking back now I see why he wasn't very respected.

"E, whose missing?" I questioned the man in charge of our operations in the Midwest. I might not know everyone that works for our organization, but I've been making sure to keep a professional relationship with everyone in leadership positions since they act like they're only familiar with Jerrell. It's exactly why I decided to sneak over and do this on my own while he's out in Jamaica meeting with my uncles.

"We're only missing-" He was cut off by someone running into the building out of breath. I looked at the guy, taking in his appearance. He had three chains on his neck, each one looking valued at a hundred thousand. On his wrist was a customized Rolex, and he was rocking a Gucci sweatsuit. You're never supposed to dress flashy to a warehouse, and there's no reason anyone in his position should be spending large amounts of money on jewelry.

"Sorry I'm late. You know how-" He started to say more until his eyes landed on me.

"This is exactly why I decided to show up today. You always seem to be late to these mandatory meetings that are the same time every week. Why is that?"

"There's always a lot of traffic when I'm driving in." He lied with small smirk on his face. I knew it was a lie because I take a different route anytime I come here to meet with Eric and it's just about always an empty road seeing as this warehouse is located underneath a Amazon distribution warehouse. I've never had to come inside because Eric is always waiting for me out front, but today is different. He's a perfect example of why I'm here today. No one takes me as a threat and that's an issue.

"You're on the distribution team right?" He nodded his head, letting out a small chuckle. I glanced over at one of my guards and within a flash a bullet was going straight through his head.

"For future reference, if I ask a question I want a verbal response. Now, where are the runners?" A group of ten guys and girls stepped forward, all ranging from age eighteen to twenty one. I looked at each one of them before turning to look at Eric. "Your team your call, E."

"Shawn, you're up." Shawn tried holding in his grin as he stepped forward. Jerrell is big on not stepping in for situations like this since he believes it's stepping on the people in charge's feet. In my opinion, if there's a pattern and it continues for periods of time without being addressed then you step in and handle it, correct? A sloppy organization is a direct reflection of the head people in charge. Eventually it starts to make you look weak when you continue to let individuals get over on you.

"Please keep in mind that attendance is monitored from the moment you scan into the building. If something is mandatory, then there's no excuse for you to be missing out on it. Look around the room, there's always going to be someone working hard to have your position. That person might just be in this room, or they might not be. Keep that in mind when you decided that something else is more important than your source of income." With that, I turned to head out. My driver opened the back door as soon as he seen us walking out.

Once I was comfortable in the back seat I pulled out my phone that had been vibrating the entire time I was in the warehouse. I scrolled through all the missed calls from Jerrell, deciding I'll call him back when I make it home. I'm not in the mood to argue with him right now. I went into my contacts, hitting the text option under Jade's name.

dinner for 2?

While waiting for her to respond I went to Instagram, scrolling down my feed. I seen a post from Camille from the last time I was in New York two month ago. I find it so weird that she posts pictures with me when we barely talk to one another. Ever since LJ cut her off she never comes out to visit. Which means I only see her when I travel to New York which isn't very often since Malcolm takes care of our East Coast region. I looked at the picture again before double tapping it and continuing to scroll, coming across a picture from Jade and I's lunch date yesterday.

As soon as I liked the picture Jade's text popped up confirming dinner.

Jade - yesss. What do you have a taste for?

Pasta and bread

Jade - Gotcha. 7pm at Bottega Louie. I'll make the res

I loved the text and locked my phone as we parked behind my private jet. I'm sure Jerrell was sent notifications regarding my flight and me accessing the warehouse which is why he's blowing me up, but I don't care. If Jerrell can be actively involved in both sides of business then I feel it's only right that I be as well. I know he expects this baby to slow me down, but it's only motivating me to make my impact even bigger.

Once I got comfortable on the jet I was out like a light.

I got off the jet and immediately pulled up Bailey's phone tracker. I spent three days in Jamaica and in those three days I've only spoken to Bailey twice. I've had to keep up with her through the security tracker on her phone since even her guards stopped reporting in to me. She's been in a different state everyday for the past three days and she knows I don't like that.

"Ju, you talked to Jade?" I questioned, while walking over to my Challenger.

"Yeah, she just got back in from dinner with Bailey." I nodded and refreshed the tracker, seeing Bailey was now at the house.

The last thing I want to do is argue with her while she's pregnant, but this shit is getting out of hand. I sped home, pushing forty over the speed limit all the way there. Pulling into the house I seen the kitchen and living room lit up, the privacy shades not even down for the night so I could see Bailey standing at the stove with Essence and Elle sitting at the island. I shook my head and pulled around back to park. I entered in through the back and went straight to my room so I wouldn't have to pass by them.

Up Late by Ari Lennox played throughout the house letting me know that they were most likely drinking wine. I doubt they even noticed me come in. I immediately dropped my bag and phone by the bed and went to get in the shower. My relationship with Bailey's uncles isn't as solid as it should be, so being in Jamaica is never really an exciting trip for me to make. I don't trust her people and I know they don't trust me being that I'm the one who killed their brother.

"Goodnight! I love you guys!" I heard Bailey's voice as I was getting out the shower. Wrapping my towel around my waist I grabbed a pill bottle out of the medicine cabinet and popped two of the pills. I washed them down with some mouthwash then proceeded to brush my teeth.

"Why are you still taking those? You had your wisdom teeth pulled over three months ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those aren't the type of medications to come with refills." I slightly jumped at the sound of Bailey's voice since I didn't expect her to make it up here that fast. The baby doesn't slow down shit with her.

"It's just out of habit."

"Denial. One of the main signs of an addict."

"Don't call me a fucking addict, Bailey." She shrugged her shoulders and turned to walk away from the bathroom.

"Anger. Another sign of addiction." She called over her shoulder. I closed my eyes, taking a couple deep breaths to calm myself down. I took another pill out of the bottle and swallowed it dry before walking over to my closet to throw on something to sleep in.

I got in the bed with Bailey, laying my head in her lap to be close to her belly. She released a sigh while running her nails through my scalp, calming my nerves. I knew she was going to bring up the pills again, but I'm too high to care right now.

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to continue handling the business while under the influence of opioid drugs. If you want to talk or vent I'm here. If you don't want to talk to me about it I suggest speaking with a professional to help you." I closed my eyes, not responding to her.

"No? That's fine too. I'll reach out to Ju tomorrow to let him know he'll have to take over for you while you take some time away from everything." I couldn't comprehend a thing she said as I felt myself drifting completely off to sleep.

"He's fine. He just has some things he needs to take care of in private." Bailey's voice woke me up and when I opened my eyes I seen her walking around the room on her phone, her free hand resting on her belly. "Thanks, Ju. Love you too. Bye."

"What you on the phone with Ju for?"

"We talked about this last night. You're taking time off to work on that newfound opioid addiction. Addiction and work is not a healthy balance. Drink that detox juice I made you." I glanced over at the nightstand, turning my nose up at the brown looking liquid.

"I don't have a fucking addiction, Bailey, and I'm not taking any time off."

"Jerrell, I'm not judging you. I'm your wife, I love you, and I need you to kick this before it gets too out of hand. You don't even get refills on Vicodin and hydrocodone after oral surgery, so the fact that you're going out of your way to get those medications refilled is an issue."

"You're about to piss me off, Bailey. Whatever I have going on doesn't have shit to do with you, you understand me?" I could see the disappointed look in her eyes, but it's not phasing me right now.

"If you don't want to kick the habit for the business, that's fine. If you don't want to kick it for me, that's fine also, but this baby won't be around it. I will keep the baby away from you Jerrell. My child doesn't deserve a parent that puts addiction before the ones they love."

"You really threatening me with my baby?"

"I am, so it's your call." I walked up on her, backing her into the wall. I could see the fear in her eyes even with her trying to mask it.

"You don't have the power to keep shit away from me. You know that right? That contract we signe-"

"The contract is done. That contract hasn't meant anything since the people who created it died."

"So what's keeping you here then?"

"Isn't it obvious?!" She motioned to her belly and I took a couple steps back from her. "Being a complete asshole for no reason, a definite sign of an addiction. The contract may be done, but it's obvious this marriage is still about business because this isn't love at all." She spoke while swiping away at her face as a couple tears fell from her eyes. I walked away from her, going into the bathroom to grab my pills.

I am being a asshole, but I can't help it. If I'm not taking the pills then I'm upset all the time. Everything Bailey does has been pissing me off and she's not even doing anything wrong. I love my wife, there's no denying that, but since she's been pregnant I feel like I've been losing interest in her. I haven't been feeling like this lifestyle is mine. I feel like I'm a pawn inside of her world. She's running shit, and I'm just here taking orders from her. It makes me feel like she's the man in the relationship and I'm not feeling that.

"Are you going to go cook something or just stand over there crying?" I called out while popping two of the pills. I didn't hear a response from her, but I also wasn't looking for one. I turned on the faucet, starting on my morning routine. Today is Saturday, so I'm going to be in my home office going through proposals.

Things are definitely going to be different in this book. Book one showed a love story, this book will show struggles after the honeymoon phase ends.

If you noticed by the character list, Cam won't be a main character in this book. You'll see glimpses of her here and there throughout the book.

What are your thoughts on some of the issues highlighted in Jerrell and Bailey's marriage in this chapter?

Do you believe Bailey should be slowing down while she's pregnant?

Do you think Jerrell should be slowing down and focus on working on the issues in his on home?

Do you think Jerrell's insecurities in his marriage play a part in his addiction?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 4.3K 31
SEQUEL TO BEING HIS SIDE CHICK. PLEASE READ THAT FIRST ***************************************** "MARRY ME!" DeShawn shouted from the top of the hote...
53.9K 2.1K 34
After fleeing from her scumbag ex and quitting college over three years ago Joanie Collins has now rebuilt her life running a little bakery back in h...
1.9M 58.9K 50
Needs to be heavily edited lmao Now, I'm alone with the beast . He stares into my soul causing me to gulp. "You're going to do something for me." He...
503K 35.7K 33
Bailey Rogers has been sheltered her entire life. With the lifestyle her father lived in the streets, it was crucial that he kept her hidden from the...