Free Minds Chained Hearts | ✔

By illianaklyne

Loving yourself is hard. Trying to find love in a family who objectified you? Seems like work. But try findin... More

W E L C O M E
P A R T 1
P R O L O G U E
Part 1 | Chapter 1
Part 1 | Chapter 2
Part 1 | Chapter 3
Part 1 | Chapter 4
Part 1 | Chapter 5
Part 1 | Chapter 6
Part 1 | Chapter 7
Part 1 | Chapter 8
Part 1 | Chapter 9
Part 1 | Chapter 10
Part 1 | Chapter 11
Part 1 | Chapter 13
Part 1 | Chapter 14
Part 1 | Chapter 15
Part 1 | Chapter 16
Part 1 | Chapter 17
Part 1 | Chapter 18
Part 1 | Chapter 19
Part 1 | Chapter 20
P A R T 2
Part 2 | Chapter 1
Part 2 | Chapter 2
Part 2 | Chapter 3
Part 2 | Chapter 4
Part 2 | Chapter 5
Part 2 | Chapter 6
Part 2 | Chapter 7
Part 2 | Chapter 8
Part 2 | Chapter 9
Part 2 | Chapter 10
Part 2 | Chapter 11
Part 2 | Chapter 12
Part 2 | Chapter 13
Part 2 | Chapter 14
Part 2 | Chapter 15
P A R T 3
Part 3 | Chapter 1
Part 3 | Chapter 2
Part 3 | Chapter 3
Part 3 | Chapter 4
Part 3 | Chapter 5
Part 3 | Chapter 6
Part 3 | Chapter 7
Part 3 | Chapter 8
Part 3 | Chapter 9
E P I L O G U E

Part 1 | Chapter 12

2.5K 91 29
By illianaklyne

"Ow, ow, ow!"

"This is for practically pushing me down into a death trap, "

"Not my fault you and that ass got up on the wrong foot. Now can you please let go of my ear and stop dragging me across the field!" He yells in pain and I stop, turning around with a scowl on my face.

As sweet as Cade is, what he did is still unforgivable. He knew I'm already not in good terms with Matteo and yet instead of helping, he got me in more trouble. It's just right for him to get dragged a couple of feet by his ear. He must have forgotten I slapped a guy.

"That was not cool, " I hissed as I watched him wince in pain, holding his reddening ear.

"And you think twisting my ear is?" He frowned.

"You deserved it."

"And you're the one to say you're not a tigress, " he hits back and I roll my eyes.

"So, I'm guessing it didn't go well huh?"

"What did you expect?"

"I don't know, " he shrugged, "maybe I thought he'd get some good in him you know?"

"Does that even happen?" I said, beginning to walk towards the parking lot, too tired to even deal with anything else.

I hear him laughing from behind me, "Pfft, absolutely not." He said, "that guy is as heartless as a peanut. He won't care for anyone, "

"So why in the world would you force me to him?" I said impatiently as I reached my silver Fiat.

"Because you were teasing me about a girl."

"Rightfully so. You should just have the guts to tell her you don't like her so you won't have to suffer." I slam my door close on his face feeling rather irritated by his act.

He leans into the window looking me in the eyes with a serious gaze.

"Hey, if you've done this before then you'd know how hard it is to talk about feelings." He explained, "things like that are easier said than done; because the next thing you know you've already made a mistake, " he raised his brows as if to say take his word for it and I stare at him.

As much as I'd hate to say it, I get what he says. Sometimes mistakes are easier done than the right things.

"That's enough philosophy for a day, " he sighs, taking out a notebook, writing on it before ripping it off.

"Need anything, " he hands me the paper, "call me." And with that, he walks the other way leaving me in silence in my own car.

Usually, the warm breeze from the outside would calm me down and remind me of tranquil but this time it doesn't. My nerves are just starting to settle down and my mind still has the thought of what happened in rehearsal. It doesn't look good for me and from personal experience, things like these are followed by certain events; like dominos being tipped-one by one.

• • •

The next day went by quickly; when I say that I mean the time left after philosophy class. That class is certainly a curse for people like me.

While we were in there talking about how Plato thought of his Academia and how he built it up, a certain someone couldn't seem to leave me alone. I'd constantly have to look away or pretend like I was busy or I'd be faced by a smug-looking man who had his eyes fixed on me like a telescope.

Cade made sure not to speak of it of course but when I had mentioned that I would be at the party tonight, he smiled and said he'd be my wingman and he will make sure I don't get in trouble. Of course, I laughed and wondered what it is I could be in trouble for but honestly, these days I didn't even know.

Mother called like she usually does but I was easily bored when she started talking about her statistical report and thank god that didn't last. I've never been a fan of her business talk; I let her sometimes because she loves it though.

Now, I'm in my car driving to basically impending doom. I was relieved to find Danica left earlier than expected which meant that I get to pick my clothes without her bothersome notions. I settled with some jeans overall, a pair of sneakers, and a white shirt. It was definitely more my style but still a little party-friendly.

I can't help the pit in my stomach whenever my thoughts would swerve on Matteo. All the harsh criticism he had and the mildly confusing philosophical note he gave me; to this hour I still have no idea what he meant of it and I still wonder if I'm willing to find out. That guy by himself is a mystery and that note doesn't make it any better.

Hopefully though, Cade would stick to his word, unlike a certain Axel. I can't believe I'll be seeing that freak again. Such a disappointment.

Arriving at the frat house was the same scene I vaguely remember. The yard filled with dancing lights and college peers. However, tonight, there's a perfectly good stage set up for us to perform in. Seeing it adds to my already nervous being but I try to bury it. I'm doing more harm than good to myself if I add that to my list of worries.

Heading into the crowded house to look for Cade, I'm bombarded by louder music and sweatier bodies. Another girl tried to give me a cup but I say no politely before going on my way. This place reeked and I'm still not entirely sure why people found that entertaining.

"Hey, want a drink?" I hear a voice say through the loud bass in the kitchen and I frown. Turning around, I find Jocelyn perched up beside a counter holding out a red cup to me.

I raised a brow at her just as a reminder fo the kind of person she is. Her pierced brow raised just like mine but she showed no sign of anger or whatever.

I felt uneasy just being around her and in here in a tightly packed room; instead of answering, I looked around instead, disregarding the girls making out near the fridge and looked for Cade instead.

The last thing I want is a confrontation from Jocelyn.

"It's not alcohol if that's to compensate. It's a punch, " I hear her say, "I don't drink either- not as much."

I turn around on my heel, laughing at her sudden change but she only crosses her arms, setting the red cup beside her. I stare, waiting for the big boom where she finally says she's had enough of playing nice; but I got none.

"I'm sorry, " I puckered my forehead, "what's with the sudden innocence?"

"It's not innocence. It's humanity." She rolls her eyes and a glimmer of the Jocelyn I met peeked through.

"Right so-"

"Tigress!" Cade interrupts as he walked in followed by the ever-popular Matteo, a cigarette between his lips.

Shivers ran through me the moment he walked in like a hurricane and I try to disregard him.

"Hey, " I walked up to Cade smiling in relief that I finally don't have to deal with Jocelyn schemes.

My eyes traveled towards her again and this time, I find her planting a kiss on Matteo's neck as he looked at me, void of any emotions like he usually does; I try my best to avoid showing any sign of fear and my best bet was Cade.

"So, how's the prep?" Cade grabs my hand and walks with me into the living room that I solely remember.

"All good, we start in a few minutes so I think I should be there." I remind him, almost yelling through the music and I sigh.

Thank god I don't have to spend more time with Matteo or Jocelyn for that matter. Surely they'd leave this party and go their business and I wouldn't care less. In fact, I think it'd be better if I don't see them all tonight.

"Yeah, I'll get you there but you gotta say hi to the gang again, "

"No, I don't, Cade-"

"I know you hate it but they find you interesting after that little slap scene." He laughed and I flushed. My mind raced with many ideas of what they could think I me after what they'd seen me do and let's just say- not one of them is nice.

Before I could even protest, we end up by the couch where everyone sat and I bit in the inside of my cheek.

I knew this meeting would be inevitable anyway but I really hoped that it wasn't. I don't want to go back to that night when I did that and I surely don't want to see Axel because it's either I'd feel guilty or angrier.

Speaking of-

"Hey! It's Evie!" Danica clapped and everyone turned to face me and to my surprise, they all greeted me with warm smiles and hellos.

I'm a bit dumbfounded by it, obviously, but now that I look at it, they don't really look too cunning. Maybe it's just the fact that I was a little too closed off when they met me that cause them to be a little iffy but now, I think they're a little more content.

I recognize all of their faces but barely know their names. I know Andrew, Danica, Cade, and well- Axel.

He sat at one corner of the couch, crossed arms above his white shirt while sipping on a beer, scowling at the sight of me but I didn't care. He's the least of my worries right now.

Me being polite, I waved at the welcoming group and smiled. They did the same except for Axel and Danica looked proud.

Cade went on to "promote" the coming performance, mentioning me now and then while his hands flailed like those of an expert story-teller. He seemed too energized for his own good and by the smell of his breath, I know he is a little tipsy, but who am I really to judge. It's a party anyway.

Just then, as everyone began to laugh at Cade's dad jokes, I felt an ever-growing presence beside me, the kind that takes over even though you can't see is.

"I didn't know good girls can hurt someone like that, " I hear the Italian voice whisper in my ear and I gulped, my eyes landing on Axel's cheek where a purple map was illuminated.

Everyone goes silent and turned to look behind me but I dare not.

"Right, everyone ready for the show?" I hear Jocelyn squeal and everyone followed.

• • •

H

ey guys! It's your author here. How's the book so far? Is it up to par? Are you hooked yet? Because let me tell you, we are just getting started and oh boy...the next chapter is about to serve!

Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment, and let me know which team you're in Cade or Matteo...or someone else? (hint, hint, *winky face*)

You haven't met him yet tho so-

-Asteria

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

454 52 16
People say when you are in love you become blind but in love you don't only become blind you forget to breathe but yet you feel the most alive ; Isab...
27.3K 1.7K 43
A compassionate nurse and a hardheaded playboy are locked in a battle of wills. Will she get through to him on time? When Kit Hart takes a job as a...
3.9K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
2.3K 359 21
"The roses are dead, The violets are too, Don't mention romance, You'll make me spew." Francesca Burton knows all there is to know about love and rom...