Once Brothers (Songs of War F...

By BlueAngel2571

(!!!THIS STORY IS UNDER A MAJOR REWRITE!!!) In the frigid mountains of Northwind, The Walls of Time were crea... More

Introduction
Charater Sheet
Prologue
Chapter 1: Death's Road
Chapter 3: Once Again (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 4: Past and Traps (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 5: Death Knocks On My Door (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 6: The Fight Goes On (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 7: Lost and Found (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 8: I Was Lost But Now I'm Found? (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 9: Something Old, Something New (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 10: Day Off (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 11: Tip of the Spear (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 12: Row Your Boat (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 13: A Helping Hand (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 14: Second Chance (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 15: Reminiscence (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 16: A Lesson of Sticks and Stones (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 17: Dark and Stormy Night (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 18: Mischief and Mayhem (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 19: Fleeting Escape (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 20: Reckoning (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 21: Talk of Masters (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Chapter 2: Welcome Home (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

1K 26 6
By BlueAngel2571

(Would suggest listening to Reflection by Christopher Larkin)

Ingressus' face was numb, he could barely feel his fingers to keep a grip as he helped Blazien drag the deer through the snow. At least with his face being numb, he couldn't feel the large scratches stinging on his cheek. Ingressus could tell Blazien was exhausted and in a much worse state. His feet would shuffle and drag across the ground. From the large scratches he had gotten from the wolf, then having to drag a full-grown deer through heavy snowfall, could only make his pain worse. But they both knew it was worth it. They had done well today. Ingressus couldn't even remember the last time a deer had ever been brought back. Mostly it was snow hares, sometimes a boar if they were lucky. But it was never enough. The predators on the mountains were constantly stealing their food. Ingressus looked ahead, seeing the trees breaking away. They were almost out of the forest.

The wind picked up even more once they'd cleared the tree line. In front of them was a large hill. Blazien looked down at Ingressus as he breathed heavily.

"We are nearly there, just up this ravine," Blazien said, out of breath.

With the last of their strength, they drag their prize up the hill. Once they'd reached the top, they walk into a large stone clearing. Stone arches like jagged teeth, rose out of the ground, making a protective barrier around a cave entrance. Blazien and Ingressus could see guards posted outside. Both having the same red markings the siblings had. The guards spotted the brothers and run out to meet them, holding their arms protectively over their faces from the harsh wind. "Where have you two been?! Master Dominus was getting ready to send out a search party for the both of you!"

"The hunt was longer than we expected. We ran into trouble along the way," Blazien replied. Both of the guards assisted in dragging the deer through the cave entrance. The icy blast of wind that had been a constant annoyance, ceased once they'd entered the cave. The brothers finally having a restful respite from the cold blizzard they had endured all day. They followed the second guard along the dimly lit pathway. Their footsteps echoing while they walked deeper down the tunnel. Ingressus could see the narrow tunnel opening until they walk into a large cave.

(Would suggest listening to Little Nightmares- The Hideaway- Nome Shadows)

Fires and torches were scattered all around. But Ingressus could also see the countless glow of red markings of other Voltaris. Some sat down by fires, others stood over in corners and talked. Many were just sitting in the shadows of the cave, staring into the fires deep in thought. Ingressus could also hear hacking coughs echoing from the far side of the cave of those still fighting sickness... Years prior, they'd had to move to different locations, for reasons unknown to Ingressus. But, so far, this cave had been his second home and the group's hidden sanctuary for three years. Even though there were still countless groups of Voltaris scattered throughout the mountains...

The two brothers followed the guard to the center of the cave, where a Voltaris, whose markings were a deeper shade of red, yet bore a similar resemblance to the siblings', spoke urgently with another in a deep voice. Obsian, the second in command, finished talking with the Master. A look of concern crossed Master Dominus' face. "Are you certain?" Obsian simply nods to the question. Silence settled around them as Master Dominus thought about what his second in command had reported to him.

While his back was turned to them, Ingressus eyed the large staff and sword on the Master's back, both having been forged of diamonds. The staff was called: Voltar. It was the staff of the Voltaris Clan. Passed down to each master who would be given leadership of the Clan from the previous one. The sword, like the staff, had also been passed through generations of Voltaris masters. The sword reflected a reddish glow in the firelight when being made so long ago, the weapon had been enchanted.

Master Dominus turns around while thinking, and spots the guard, Blazien, and Ingressus. Turning back to face Obsian, Master Dominus speaks in a calm, but stern voice. "Take a small group of scouts to keep track of their movements and report to me what you find."

Obsian bowed respectfully to him, then leaves without another word. Master Dominus turns around, facing the three waiting ardoni once again. Bowing slightly in respect, the guard approached the Master, keeping his eyes to the floor. "Master Dominus, your sons have returned safely from their hunting expedition."

The Master turned his gaze past the guard, to Blazien and Ingressus, and took notice of the wounds that covered them both.

"I only remember sending out one of my sons to go hunting," Master Dominus said, giving Ingressus a hard threatening stare. Ingressus looked away, not able to meet his father's eyes. Master Dominus sighs, then turns back to the guard. "You can return to your post. Thank you for bringing them to me." The guard bows and quickly walks away, leaving the brothers to the mercy of the Master... and their father...

Master Dominus is quiet for a moment, then speaks less formally. "How is it I must continue to keep getting surprise reports about the two of you? Blazien, I know hunting is hard, and I know that the Clan needs food. But you know the rules. After dark, the only Voltaris that should be out: are the patrols. Whether you caught anything or not. I am no longer taking risks anymore. How is it that Ingressus returned with you?"

Knowing he had gone against the Master's orders by allowing Ingressus to have stayed with him, Blazien tries to find the right words to justify his actions this time. "Well... I was hunting alone at first, but Ingressus was... persistent... and convinced me to let him stay with me. And I'm glad that I didn't send him away after what happened today."

Master Dominus looked over at Ingressus, who was facing the ground, still avoiding his gaze. Dominus could see it in his son's expression, Ingressus knew he was in trouble. Dominus was aware this wasn't the first time his son had disobeyed him, and it most certainly wouldn't be the last. "Ingressus, you know better than to leave the camp. Especially after being told numerous times. Yet you still continue to disobey. Do you not realize that I keep you here for-"

"For my safety, I know..." Ingressus said, irritated. "Father, I know I'm young but-"

"And that is exactly why. You're still young, you still have much to learn. Do you not comprehend that it's not just animals out there who hunt us?! Times have been getting harder over the years and they will only continue to get worse! I need to make sure the Voltaris Clan has a future... the last thing I need to add to my list of worries is my own sons disobeying rules meant to keep them safe!"

Master Dominus takes a few deep breaths, sighing while he recomposed himself. He normally didn't lose his temper, but he had grown more worried with each passing minute the sky had darkened with his sons nowhere to be seen. He was just glad they had returned, but apparently not without taking a blow from the wilderness, as he glanced over their wounds. "I am glad that you both returned safely, and that you were able to bring back more than enough food for everyone tonight. You both look as though you fell down the mountain to get it though."

Ingressus smiled slightly. "Well... we technically did fall down a small mountain."

Blazien laughed, finding it humorous that even though Ingressus was being chastised, he still found ways to amuse their father. "Ha, you mean you fell down a small mountain," Blazien said, flinching while pain flared in his chest from his laughter. After his pain had subsided, Blazien speaks. "Master Dominus, I know you want Ingressus to remain in the camp. But, I ask your permission if he could accompany me when I next go out."

Master Dominus looked liked he was about to deny Blazien's request, but Blazien quickly continued. "Just hear me out. Ingressus was the one who found the tracks that got us started on that trail. He's also the one who found the deer in the first place. When we were dragging it through the forest, we were attacked by a pack of wolves. But Ingressus and I were able to fight them off. Without his help, I never would've made it back."

Master Dominus remained quiet for over a minute, thinking of his next answer carefully, before slowly replying. "I know I cannot be everywhere to protect you both... and that you will not always be young..." Master Dominus said, glancing over at Ingressus. "I try my best to preserve what I have left. Perhaps sometimes a bit too harshly... I will give you both a chance. You proved today that I may have been wrong about your abilities to take care of yourselves. However, if you are to go hunting together that is how I expect you to return. You both may leave, go to Ember and get those wounds looked at."

Blazien and Ingressus bow, then turn and leave Master Dominus. Walking further into the cave, Ingressus welcomed the warmth in the darkness that chased the cold away. Looking at his brother who walked ahead of him, Ingressus speaks, his words echoing through the dark tunnels. "Thanks for that back there. I know he wouldn't have listened if I tried to tell him."

Blazien stumbled a little as he walked, he was starting to feel light-headed. His hand and arm was covered in blood from his wounds on his chest, which were slowly continuing to bleed. "Yeah... no problem... It just took me almost getting ripped open by a wolf and being saved by my little brother, to realize that we work better together."

Ingressus was surprised that Blazien had even helped convince Master Dominus that he should leave the camp again. He had expected his brother to agree with their father like he always did... Ingressus would be punished, being stuck with a guard to always watch him. But in the end, he always found a way to sneak out of the cave and find his way back to Blazien's side. Ingressus smiled, as he remembered the events of the day. That wolf had been pretty close to tearing his eyes out... "You saved me first," Ingressus said.

Both brothers entered a smaller cave that connected with the main one. Looking around the room, they see a few Voltaris laying on animal skins, resting. Some were coughing, while others had makeshift bandages on. A female ardoni approaches them.

Ember Voltaris was the Clan's healer, she had seen plenty of violence throughout her long life. But she always kept a stoic face, not even being bothered by Blazien's wounds that stained the stone floor with scarlet droplets of his blood. Walking over, she has Blazien lean on her, as she helped him over to a ledge, and sat him down. Blazien sighed, as his strain was relieved. Ember leans over him and examines the deep cuts.

"Look who finally decided to come back to the camp. What were you two thinking, staying out that late? You, I understand," Ember said, looking over at Blazien. Then, she faces Ingressus and lightly scowls him. "But you should know better."

Albeit weakly, Blazien quickly speaks up. "We're not special. We have a duty to the Clan like everyone else. Whether we are related to the Master or not."

Ember nodded her head in understanding, knowing that even though the brothers had disobeyed, they had only been doing what they thought was right, for the good of the Clan.

Turning around, she gathers what little supplies she needs, and begins treating their wounds the best she can. Ingressus having only a few scratches on his cheek, and a few on his arms and legs. But, it takes her longer to treat Blazien's cuts, even needing to stitch a few of the wounds so they would heal properly. Once she'd finished, Blazien and Ingressus leave, going back to the main cave to see that the meal for the night was being passed out.

They both go over and get their share of the food. Some of the Voltaris even come and thank the brothers for bringing the deer, and acknowledged how well they had done with the day's hunting. Blazien and Ingressus eat their share near one of the fires, hearing passing conversations and gossip from others around them. Titus, who was one of the few remaining elders left, sat nearby, while other Voltaris were listening to him, intrigued by the story he was telling.

"They're fearless most say. With obsidian armor as black as the night sky, and energy from the End that illuminates their armor with power. They ride on the backs of large beasts, dragons," the elder Voltaris said.

Ingressus stops eating, his curiosity getting the better of him. "What are dragons?" he asked curiously.

Titus looked over at him.

"Creatures, larger than you've ever seen. With great wings on their back, and scales that cover their body, with long tails covered in spikes. Dragons are able to breathe large amounts of fire that will set an inferno ablaze and incinerate any in their path. They soared the skies of a hidden dimension. Until a portal was found by a group of humans who realized the portal was a bridge between the hidden dimension and ours.

"They entered the portal and explored the unknown. No one knows what happened while the humans were within the dimension. Many assumed they died. Years later, they returned wearing armor forged of obsidian and brought the dragons with them into Ardonia. The humans called themselves, 'Enderknights.' They founded a city near the Heart of Ardonia which they called Crown Peak. A city of wealth and great power. The human who had been the leader of the group became king over Crown Peak and the rest of Ardonia. Throughout the long generations, many kings have ruled. The Enderknights have ridden their dragons through the skies, being protectors and guardians over the land of Ardonia ever since."

"Have you ever seen a dragon or an Enderknight?" Ingressus asked. Titus was older than all of them, surely he had to have seen something?!

"Indeed I have. During my time as a traveling trader. I witnessed the Enderknights fight off hundreds of undead with their dragons. They are quite a force to be reckoned with and should never be underestimated," Titus said grimly.

Ingressus was quite fascinated by the idea of flying above the clouds. Being able to go anywhere in Ardonia. He had spent his whole life in the Barrier Mountains... the chill of blizzards in the snowy forests and mountains was all he had ever known. He'd only heard stories of the many villages and cities scattered throughout the land. Ingressus hoped that one day, he would get to explore Ardonia for himself.

After they finished eating, Blazien and Ingressus retrieved some animal skins stored nearby, then walked over to an empty area of the cave. Laying out the animal skins, they both lay down, setting their weapons beside them. Ingressus felt wiped out from the day. "Blazien, thanks for... today," Ingressus said, as he tried to avoid looking at the painful stitches in his brother's chest.

"I'll admit, despite certain death, today was pretty fun wasn't it?" Blazien asked humorously, which earned him a light-hearted laugh from Ingressus.

"Definitely. Hey... what do you think Obsian was talking to Master Dominus about that made him so concerned?" Ingressus asked.

Blazien thinks for a moment. "At this point, who knows. Danger this, danger that. Seems like that's all our life is anymore. I'm hoping one day it won't always be like this."

Ingressus' eyes started to feel heavy, as he stared up at the cave's stone ceiling. "Yeah, I hope for that too. Do you think I'll ever get to see a dragon?" he whispered.

Blazien looked doubtful, but he didn't want to crush his brother's spirits. Hope was always good to have, even when doubt and uncertainty clouded one's thoughts every day. "One day you will," Blazien said quietly. "Who knows, maybe you'll even ride one."

Ingressus smiled, as he imagined himself on the back of the mysterious beasts that he had never seen. "That would be really fun. I'm just hoping that I won't be as old as Titus when that does happen. Goodnight Blazien," Ingressus said softly, as sleep overtook him.

Looking over at his younger brother sleeping, Blazien smiled. "Goodnight Ingressus," he whispered. Before he to closed his eyes and welcomed the comfort of sleep...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 120 46
Ardonia fights its bloodiest war in history. The Voltaris strike against the other clans for the first time in 900 years. The Nether seeks vengeance...
1.3K 16 37
The Ardoni Legacy is a fan franchise of 'Songs of War' by Black Plasma Studios (well, now 'Squared Media') This story is about a young girl named 'Li...
1.9K 41 10
Important: Characters in this story are based off of Songs of War and Rainimators Animated Series After the Second Great War, The Endsinger works as...
1.5K 144 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...