Trials of a Champion - Kanto...

Od MsGameinIt

The beginning of the journey is where first impressions and difficult decisions matter the most. Together wit... Více

1 Pokémon I Choose You!
2 A Pallet-able Meeting
3 A Night on the Town
4 The Caterpie of the Day
5 A Rocky Battle
6 A Zubat and a Moon Stone
7 To Beat a Gym Leader
8 And Then There Were Three
9 Electric Shock Showdown
10 Battle Aboard the St. Anne
11 Pokémon Shipwreck
12 Island of the Giant Pokémon
13 Beauty and the Beach Part 1
14 Beauty and the Beach Part 2
15 Tentacruel Intentions
16 A Girl's Curse
17 A Spooky Detour
18 Handle with Scare
19 Fighting Fear with Fear
20 The Road to Celadon
21 City of Rainbow Dreams
22 Prepare for Big Trouble
23 Shall We Play a Game?
24 Friends and Foes Alike
25 Bitter and Sweet Reunions
26 A Tale of Six Tails
27 A Deal's a Deal
28 Never a Rose Without a Prick
29 Rulers of the Road
30 A Gutsy Move
32 A Fiery Friendship
33 Fuchsia's Famous Funhouse
34 The Poisonous Ninja Master
35 Into the Safari Zone!
36 The Paths of Least Resistance
37 A Series of Fortunate Events
38 A Girl, A Boy, A Mother, and a Dragon
39 It's Training Time!
40 A Sky Full of Stars
41 Fires in the Night
42 Once and Flor-al
43 A Trip to the Store
44 A Brother from Another Mother
45 A Short Squabble
46 The Golden Rule
47 One Eevee, Two Eevee, Red Eevee, Blue Eevee
48 Sparks Fly
49 The Green-Eyed Monster
50 Good Night Pokémon
51 Approached by a Poacher
52 I Love You 100,000
53 Together Forever
54 The Bonds of Evolution
55 Return to Saffron
56 Brains vs Brawn: Best of Both Worlds
57 Power Outages Are a Girl's Best Friend
58 Sparks, Lightning, and Explosions, Oh My!
59 A Shock in Paradise
60 Team Rocket Takedown, Act I
61 Team Rocket Takedown, Act II
62 This is My Secret
63 Her Origin Point
64 All I Want For Christmas Is...
65 Setting Sail for the Seafoam Islands
66 Diving with Pokémon 101
67 An Icy Retreat
68 Under the Weather, On the Sea

31 Get the Message

676 25 16
Od MsGameinIt

I hovered outside the ER, hands fiddling with the hem of my sleeves. If someone asked if I was worried, I'd call them an idiot. Dry throat. Sweaty palms. Endless deep breaths in an effort to calm myself. Pacing back and forth. Trying to take a seat and standing up immediately after. My best friend had been behind those closed doors for at least an hour, with Nurse Joy tirelessly working to stabilize his condition.

Worried was an understatement.

"You know, your pacing isn't going to help anyone," muttered Paul. I started falling apart the minute we arrived at the Pokémon Center, and he witnessed all of it with a frown and eyebrows drawn together. "So sit down already."

I ignored him.

He must've thought I didn't hear him, so he tried again. "If you keep thinking too much about it, you're going to stress yourself out. He'll be fine. You just have to relax a bit."

I still ignored him.

"Rosa!"

"What?!"

"You need to take a breath! Nurse Joy is in there doing everything she can, and Luxio will be alright. You know that. He's a lot stronger than he looks."

Fists tight, fingernails biting into my palms, I replied through clenched teeth, "I can worry or relax all I want. That doesn't change the circumstances, Paul."

"What circumstances?"

"That this was all my fault!" My stomach hardened. "It's my fault he got poisoned in the first place. If I hadn't trusted that bastard, maybe this wouldn't have happened, or if I had taken better care of Dratini and kept her from jumping out of the bag."

Dratini had her head poked out of my bag, and at the words, she whined.

Instantly regretting my choice of words, I scrambled to fix the damage. "Ack! No, Dratini, I'm not blaming you. Neither of us could've known that Justin's just a two-faced jackass. Please, don't blame yourself."

She shyly nodded her head, receiving a pat on the back from Pikachu.

"You should take your own advice," suggested Paul.

"How about you just be quiet? My negligence led to this. Nobody else's." I dipped my head. "And it's about to cost me everything."

"Don't say that! Assuming the worst-case scenario is the last thing we need right now! You're going to work yourself into the ground if you keep overthinking. Luxio will recover from that poison and you know that. Now, just take a breath, relax, and come sit down, and..." He reached out.

"Don't touch me!" I shoved his arm aside and whipped around, eyes bulged and nostrils flared. "We're not best buddies now just because you helped me out a little! I'm still super freaking pissed off at you!"

"I'm just trying to help you out! What else do you want me to do?!"

"Nothing! I never asked for your help! I don't want it, and I don't need it! I've been through this thing on my own before and I can do it again-Ah!" I froze, all anger and tension evaporating from my voice.

His eyes widened. "Before? You've been through this-?"

"F-Forget it! Just forget I said anything and mind your own damn business!"

With teeth clenched, he turned his glare away. "Do you want my help or not? You can't have it both ways. I know I'm a jerk, but come on."

I stepped away from him, chin dipping to my chest as my posture slumped. The stomachache from earlier grew exponentially more painful. It only got worse the more I considered the words I was unable to take back.

Pikachu and Eevee looked on as both of their Trainers went unnaturally silent and moved away from each other. They feared saying or doing anything with the slim chance of reigniting the smoldering flames of our argument.

Suddenly, the ER doors opened with a whoosh. Nurse Joy came out with a clipboard and a blank face.

"Nurse Joy!" Paul dashed over to her. "How's Luxio? Is he alright?"

I turned my head to better listen to her response.

She eyed both of us before giving a soft smile. "There's no need to worry. We've dealt with Luxio's poison and his condition is stable. You brought him here quickly enough that we were able to handle the situation before it got too out of hand."

"Out of...hand?" I repeated, swallowing hard.

The light left her eyes for a moment. "You see, Luxio's poison was quite bad. It must've been a buildup of Toxic plus all the poisonous fumes emitted by that Muk you battled. You said that Luxio had direct contact with it? The gases emitted by a Muk are extremely poisonous and life-threatening. It would've been a lot more serious if he hadn't gotten here for another few minutes."

"It was that bad?" asked Paul, eyes wide with disbelief.

My heart pounded against my ribcage.

He could've... He could've...

"But, don't worry!" Nurse Joy quickly exclaimed. "The poison's gone now, and he's in the recovery room. It's best to let him sleep for a little while and regain his strength. Chansey is watching over him, and once she finishes with a final checkup, you can visit. I promise to let you know as soon as that's possible.

"But, again, he'll be alright."

Paul, Pikachu, and Eevee breathed out deep sighs of relief.

"Thank you very much," Paul said with a bow before turning to look at me. "See? I told you he'd be fine. Nurse Joy would take care of it, and Luxio would be all better. So, now you can..." He paused.

Despite the wonderful news, I had yet to smile. I couldn't smile. I couldn't talk. I couldn't do anything. My mind locked me in an eternal cycle of anxiety and worry, and the frustration of the day was all aimed towards myself.

It took all my strength just to spit out a few words. "Right... That's really great..." After a quick nod of my head, I grabbed my bag and stormed down the hallway. Pikachu raced after me in a hurry, while the others remained in place.

Paul and Eevee exchanged glances. If someone asked if they were worried, I'd call them an idiot, too.

Worried was an understatement.

Just outside the Pokémon Center, I sat on a bench. Pikachu and Dratini insisted on finding a spot out of the rain. I cared very little about being dry, however. I placed my jacket over both Pokémon's heads and tugged them close. In seconds, the rain soaked my exposed head and shoulders. With a stinging nose and shriveled fingers, I welcomed the cold, wet pitter patter like an old friend. The sound of a million droplets colliding with the sidewalk was music to my ears, and a good distraction, too.

Taking a deep breath, my chest trembled on the exhale.

"I can't believe myself."

Pikachu and Dratini peered up at me.

"Paul didn't deserve that. He just tried to help, but I went and yelled at him anyway."

Patting my arm, Pikachu assured me that Paul would forgive my words.

"I appreciate it. Thank you both. Being here and listening to me is more than helpful." I scratched both of their heads, enjoying the sound of them cooing as they relaxed. "I'd be a lost cause without my Pokémon."

"I'd hate to see what that Rosa's like."

Hearing the sarcastic voice, I went quiet, refusing to acknowledge the approaching person. On the other hand, Pikachu and Dratini both turned their heads, faces lighting up with excitement as Eevee hopped down beside them.

When she brushed against my arm, I remained still. "Sorry, Eevee. I don't feel like playing right now." However, the stubborn Eevee persisted, and eventually got a nice scratch behind her ears. At least it was a good excuse to ignore her Trainer.

I tried my hardest not to acknowledge him. Maybe he'd go away? Maybe he'd leave me in peace? Maybe he'd realize what a mess I truly am and leave for good? I wouldn't mind. It would save him the trouble. Maybe...

"What are you doing out in the rain?"

His voice cut through my train of thought like butter.

"It's quiet," I muttered, "and the rain feels good on my face." My arms struggled to clear the mix of rain and tears staining my cheeks.

"You could've sat a little closer to the building, at least."

"It's not too far."

"It's not very close either."

My eyebrow twitched. "Did you just come here to criticize me or what?"

"No." I heard him inhale and exhale slowly. That's when a bottle of tea pressed against the side of my head. "Here. You pedaled your ass off earlier, and I don't think you've had anything decent since the bridge."

Swallowing hard, I shook my head.

Paul sat down and placed the bottle beside me. "Well, it'll be here."

With a nod of my head, everything went quiet again.

We remained that way for a while, watching the rain trickle off leaves, lampposts, and rooftops. Pikachu and Eevee chased each other on the grass and splashed in puddles. Dratini coiled herself around me. The warmth of her body against mine provided some comfort I didn't know I needed.

Her comfort gave me the strength to break the silence. "Well?"

"Well, what?"

"Aren't you going to say it?"

He turned his head slightly.

The confusion on his face further upset me. "Ahh. You know? I was wrong, you were right? I trusted some stranger I clearly shouldn't have, and look at what happened. Luxio got hurt." My grip tightened on the bench's wooden planks. "It's pathetic. I'm pathetic. Aren't I?"

Paul took a moment before he responded. "You don't need to beat yourself up just because you had faith in someone. Getting hurt is just a risk you take."

"But it's not about me getting hurt. It's about someone I love getting hurt." My gaze remained glued to the cement beneath my feet. "I almost made the same mistake. That's what's so painful about this."

"Same mistake?"

I froze, realizing what had slipped from my mouth for the second time.

"You mentioned that earlier? Has something like this happened...before?"

"Forget it! I didn't say that!" I kept myself turned away from him. "The point is I'm just frustrated with myself. I trusted someone just because I thought they seemed nice, but that's exactly the kind of thing I told myself not to do. Sure enough, my instincts were right." A sigh escaped my lips. "Maybe I'm just bad at reading people."

"Hmm." He took a long sip from his drink and then said, "Yeah. Maybe..."

I finally looked up at him, with a glare. "Is that supposed to make me feel better-?"

"Since, you know, the last guy you trusted is a total ass," he continued.

My mouth fell open. I didn't expect him to call himself out like that.

It led to a stifled laugh. "Ha! Yeah, I guess he was." For the first time in a while, I had a smile on my face, and my chest felt light. After wiping away my few remaining tears, I looked over. "Speaking of that guy, uh, thank you, Paul."

"Don't mention it. I was worried about Luxio, too."

"Not just that. You helped me out with that battle when you really didn't have to."

"Come on. I wanted a chance to beat those punks up, too."

"Well, thanks." Then, I held out my hand.

"What?"

"Can I have that now?"

He grinned. "You sure took your time. I was tempted to drink it."

I swiped the bottle from his hand. "Don't push it! I'm thirsty!" I began chugging.

"Yeah. Yeah. So drink up. You worked that bike to death."

"Ah, there you are!"

A familiar health care official hurried over to us.

"Nurse Joy?"

"Is everything alright?"

Taking a second to catch her breath, she beamed, "Luxio's condition has stabilized enough to let you into the room now."

"Really?! That's great news!" I chugged harder, with the Pokémon insisting I slow down.

After Nurse Joy went back inside, Paul rose to his feet. "And once Luxio's all better, let's get back on the road. I'm craving my next gym badge, or at least a battle against someone who's not a bunch of losers."

"Yeah, that'd be nice." As I stood up, my eyes fell to the empty bottle in my hands. A weird feeling came over me that prompted me to act first, think later. "Oh, yeah. Paul? I forgot something."

"What is it?"

As he turned back, I grabbed his arm, leaned forward, and pecked his cheek as quick as possible. Pikachu, Dratini, and Eevee practically screamed. Without saying anything, I threw my bag over my shoulder and continued toward the doors, leaving Paul frozen in place.

I stopped for a brief moment. "Well, come on! Let's go see Luxio."

"What... You..."

"It was a proper thank you." I spotted my beet-red face in the window, making my cheeks burn even more. "Now, hurry up!" After chucking the empty tea bottle into a trash can, I stepped into the Pokémon Center.

Paul remained still for a moment longer.

Something caught his attention, and he turned to stare up at the sky. The clouds had parted, allowing sunshine to pour down and exchange the gloomy atmosphere with a cheerful one.

He smiled and hurried inside.

We followed Nurse Joy to the recovery room. Once inside, she brought us to a small area surrounded by curtains. She pulled them apart and gestured for me to step forward. Upon entering, I spotted Luxio fast asleep on a table.

"Luxio..." I gasped, eyes flickering to the nurse. "Can I?"

She nodded.

My lips sealed shut as I approached the table. I collapsed on my knees, leaned forward, and pressed my forehead against Luxio's fluffy head. My lips remained sealed since there was nothing I could say that would change how much I needed him to wake up that instant.

And he did.

Luxio first stirred to my scent. Blinking open his eyes, he immediately recognized brown hair, and gentle green orbs with a comforting light in them. He made the tiniest mewl before licking my face.

My eyes snapped open, releasing the dam.

"Luxio!" I crushed him against me. "You're awake! You're awake!"

Pikachu, Eevee, and Dratini rushed over to see him. I laughed upon learning of another crybaby in the room. Eevee also burst into tears the instant Luxio woke up. He grinned and flicked his tail to show his current condition.

"Don't worry, Eevee," I choked out through happy tears. "He's back now."

Forcing himself onto all fours, Luxio pressed his forehead against mine and purred.

My tears fell against his face. "I love you, too. Sorry about your fur."

He nuzzled my cheek.

Nearby, Paul and Nurse Joy watched the scene with gentle smiles. The boy looked over his shoulder. "Thank you, Nurse Joy, for your help. And for your advice. It seemed to work."

"Is she not mad at you anymore?"

He grimaced. "Eh, yeah, she still is." His eyes flickered back to me. "But at least she has her pillar back."

Looking between the two of us, Nurse Joy's gaze softened. I suppose neither of them can tell, huh? Ah, the joys of being young! "I think she might have more than one pillar," she giggled.

Paul only heard a mumble. "Huh?"

The phone rang, giving Nurse Joy a great excuse to slip away and avoid Paul's question.

"Paul! Paul, look! He's awake!" I picked Luxio up and held him out. "Isn't it great?!"

He stepped over and crouched a little. "Is that true? Feeling better?"

Luxio responded with a confident growl.

"Glad to hear it. You gotta be in shape for your next gym battle."

"Now, hold on. I can't decide my team roster until I know what kinds of Pokémon the Gym Leader will be using." Luxio chuffed in annoyance. "Hey, don't pout. I mean, if they're a Ground-type user, you're definitely sitting it out. You're not so great against Ground-types." He gave a halfhearted nod. "But, I'd be more than happy to rethink that once you learn Ice Fang."

"Ice Fang?"

"Yeah. Don't you know? When a Luxio evolves into Luxray, they gain access to all sorts of neat attacks. Volt always uses Ice Fang when his Luxray battles Ground-types, which is the only Pokémon that their species has trouble with."

He shot me a disappointed look. "Don't be a know-it-all, now."

I smirked. "Don't be jealous that I know more than you."

"You don't know more than me, Girlie."

"Yes, I do, and don't call me that!"

That's when Nurse Joy returned to the room. "Ah, sorry to interrupt. Rosa, there's a postman outside who says he has a letter for you, and he was requested to hand it over in person."

"In person?" I repeated. "Wonder why? But shouldn't I wait for Luxio to be discharged?"

"I'll stay with him," said Paul. I stared at him in surprise. "You go meet the guy and get your letter. I'll wait here for Luxio to be discharged, and then we'll meet up outside and head for Fuchsia once everything is done."

After a moment, I nodded. "Alright." I rubbed Luxio's head. "Be good to Paul. If he upsets you at all, just give him your best Thunder Bolt. Or Swift. Whatever you prefer." Luxio happily waved his tail.

"Hey! I'm not some lousy caretaker."

I ignored him. "Come on, Pikachu. Dratini, make sure to stay in the bag this time. I promise to let you know when it's safe to pop out." After Dratini situated herself inside, the three of us left the room.

Rushing outside, Pikachu and I found the mailman standing a few feet from the Center's front doors. He approached us and asked, "Are you Rosa?"

"That's me. What's this about a letter?"

He revealed a small envelope from his bag's multitude of pockets. "I have a letter for you from Celadon City. The sender insisted that I deliver it in person and said I could find you here in Sunny Town. Lucky guess on their part, huh?"

"Wow." I took the letter into my hands, giving Pikachu a look. "How the heck did they know I'd be here?" She shrugged before growing curious about the letter. "I'm curious, too. Let's see."

I quickly opened the envelope, finding a paper with lots of scribbles. A few of the words were more defined than others, like they'd been written in sharpie compared to the rest of the ballpoint pen writing:

"Rosa,

I hope this letter gets to you when you're in a safe spot.

How's it going? The weather is nice in Sunny Town this time of year, right? Floppy hat weather? Disc golf weather? Nah, probably not that nice. Summer just ended, so it's onto fall and then winter. Any summer project you started will no doubt have to wait, at least until the rebirth of the calendar year.

Speaking of projects, remember that family heirloom I had you hold onto? I hope it's broken. I hated that thing, and it certainly doesn't do any good in the wrong hands. Destroy it as soon as possible, and don't just sell it on the internet or something. If the information on that heirloom gets shared around, no doubt my family can find you and track you down, and that won't end well. My grandma really loved that thing! Her name is Tera Kemcot. If you see or hear of anyone with that name, make sure to keep your guard up, and be smart.

Well, I leave it in your hands. I won't be sending another letter, as I think you're a smart girl and trust you to do the right thing with that piece of crap. Not to mention that writing more letters is just an unnecessary waste of paper and words.

Take care on your journey. Maybe we'll meet again. Farewell.

...R..."

"What family heirloom? And destroy it?" I muttered to Pikachu.

Ears perking up, she reminded me of the secret item that we received back in Celadon City.

"The floppy disc?" I whispered back before rereading the letter. "Oh, now I get it! It says it all right in writing. How's...the...floppy...disc...project...rebirth? I think this is from that guy we met!"

Pikachu reminded me of the strange 'R' signed at the bottom.

"Yeah, that's probably his name, but not very specific, huh?" I saw the mailman walking away and raced after him. "Ah, sir! Wait a minute!"

He stopped and looked back at me. "Yes? Is something wrong?"

"N-No. I just wanted to ask about the sender. You see, I've never seen him...uh...in person! Yeah! We've only been chatting online. I wanted to know if he did or said anything besides hand over the letter."

The mailman frowned and shook his head. "No, sorry. He only asked me to give this to you in person and then walked away without another word. No name or anything."

"Well, did you see his face?"

"He had a hood up the whole time, and it was dark."

Pikachu quickly brought up one important detail.

"Good point. Did the man have any Pokémon with him? Like a Pikachu, for example?"

Once again, he responded with a frown, "No, none that I saw."

"Darn. Then maybe it isn't him. Well, thank you for listening to my questions."

"It's no problem. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful."

I waved my hand. "Actually, you've been really helpful. You got me my mail." Just then I noticed the Pokémon standing at the man's side: a horse with a flaming mane and tail, and a saddle on its back. "Who's your friend, by the way?"

"Ah, this is Ponyta. He helps me deliver mail all over Kanto. I wouldn't meet my deadlines without him. Isn't that right, pal?" The horse responded with a prideful neigh. "You're welcome to say hi."

I reached a hand out. "Hi, Ponyta. I'm Rosa." The horse pushed its snout into my hand and breathed hot air onto my fingers. "You sure are friendly, and cute, too. Is there somewhere I can catch a Ponyta for myself?"

"Well, if you're heading to Fuchsia City, herds of wild Ponyta and Rapidash roam the outskirts of the city from dusk till dawn. That's where I first met this guy, so I have no doubt you can make a new Fire-type friend there, too."

"Awesome! Thank you."

The mailman tipped his hat before hopping onto Ponyta's back. With a wave, they galloped down the street.

Pikachu and I smiled as he disappeared around some buildings.

"What a respectable career, Pikachu. Guys like him work day and night just to bring us our mail on time, and if you don't appreciate that kind of effort, you really need to rethink your life." She agreed with a nod.

"Rethink your life why?" Paul approached us with Luxio and Eevee at his side.

"Oh, nothing. I was just rambling. Well, are we all ready to go? Luxio, you still feeling good?" He replied with a vigorous nod. "Glad to hear it."

"Just one problem." Paul gestured to the one bike that remained.

I grinned. "Well, I know what that means." The Pokémon all understood my meaning.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

347 11 22
Over these past 10 years since I started developing the characters and stories for my Fanfiction, I've done a ton of research. From the manga & anime...
2.3K 71 21
A Pokémon Legendary Journey Series! Book #1 (COMPLETED) Book #2 http://my.w.tt/UiNb/2bpHiSW59B One day, an adult teenager named Artemis give up her n...
123K 2.1K 46
Let's just get to the point. You go on a Pokemon journey through Kanto region. (Ps. This is a rewrite of my old Pokemon story. I wasn't really happy...
201K 3.1K 88
This is the start of a new journey for our young protagonist. As she obtains new Pokemon, new friends, and new sights, she may find something more be...