Star Wars, The Cooper Chronic...

By Goldengun2002

On a backwater world in the fringes of Republic space lives a young man. Living alone sense he was ten, his f... More

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings
Chapter 2: Hell on Reach
Chapter 3: 717th
Chapter 4: Duel
Chapter 5: Welcome to the Republic
Chapter 7: Training
Chapter 8: First battle
Chapter 9: Christophsis
Chapter 10: 'Negotiations'
Chapter 11: Padawans
Chapter 12: Rockjumpers
Chapter 13: Temple Raider
Chapter 14: We Meet Agian
Chapter 15: Recovery
Chapter 16: Malevolence
Chapter 17: Flying Lessons
Chapter 18: Senatorial Rescue
Chapter 19: Reshie Moon
Chapter 20: Destress call
Chapter 21: Hiigaran Assault
Chapter 22: Senatorial Rescue

Chapter 6: Rally the men

3.4K 83 16
By Goldengun2002

Narrator: After the council meeting, a new Padawan has been appointed. The now Jedi Padawan Jerome Cooper must carry out his first set of orders. To prepare his new force for their new command.

Jerome strolled under the massive shadow of the Liberation's keel, the size of the capital ship blocking out the sun, leaving it cooler for the various crew and personnel loading aboard the vessel's provisions. The young man was still amazed that such a large vessel could even settle on a planet's surface, gawking at the massive clamps the ship sat in before moving to the side as a transport bound for the loading ramp lumbered by. Shaking his head, Jerome quickly returned to his task and headed towards the massive ramps leading into the belly of the beast. Striding up the incline, he smiled upon hearing a string of familiar whistles and beeps from above.

Jerome: Well, it seems you're being helpful, aren't you R4?

The young man said upon spotting R4 speeding to his side and shaking happily, a small hover pad trailing behind the droid, attached by a magnetic device connected to the chassis. Chuckling softly, Jerome patted the top of its head before spotting Niner and Taylor walking over. The Twi'lek face brightening upon spotting him. 

Tayler: I didn't expect to see you back so soon. How'd the meeting go kid?

She asked as Jerome shifted the data pad previously tucked under his arm into his free hand before shrugging nonchalantly.

Jerome: Eh, better than I expected, I'm a Padawan now.

Jerome said as Taylor's eyes widened before a joyful grin spread across her dark blue lips.

Tayler: Well, good for you kid. Did you come to pick up your stuff then? Given that you're joining the space monks, would it be more prompt to get rid of all your stuff? Eh, the whole thing doesn't make much sense to me.

She said, rubbing the back of her neck, stepping aside as another transport passed. The young Force user shaking his head and lifting the pad for them to see once he gained her attention again.

Jerome: It'll take more than that to get rid of me. I just came here to give orders to Captain Gallan and Commander James.

He relayed, perking up with a raised brow, Tayler went to say something before stopping and just shook her head.

Tayler: Well, that's good to hear. I've started to like having you around. You certainly are more helpful than some other greenhorns were when they started.

Tayler said as Jerome did a mock bow. The women rolling her eyes upon the gesture. 

Jerome: Aw, I'm honored you think so highly of me.

He said, straightening up and looking at both his droids.

Jerome: But in the meantime, you two keep lending aid till I get back, ok?

The young man stated, after which Niner stood rigid and saluted his master.

Niner: Orders received. I will provide assistance where I can.

Niner said while R4 released a high-pitched whistle, Jerome patting his droids head again, closed his eyes for a moment and nodded, then opening them again as he looked between the metallic entities.

Jerome: That's what I like to hear. Take care of them Taylor.

Jerome said to the Twi'lek, leaving them be while making his way into the ship again. The starship buzzing with activity, though not as much as when the 717th were retrieved aboard. The most notably difference being displayed by the massive cargo crates littering the hangar floor. Giant lift droids shepherded them about down below the main flight deck. Having to squeeze by a squad of clones, Jerome made his way through the halls and up the lift in good time. Upon the doors opening, Jerome spotted Captain Gallan and Commander James talking with a holographic figure. The two looked over at Jerome soon after the figure disappeared, the young man unable to recognize them before the Liberation's captain spoke.

Gallan: Ah, if it isn't the newly appointed commander. How's the promotion feel, kid?

The captain said to Jerome, blinking a bit; the new padawan strode to the opposing side of the senior officers before clearing his throat and meeting their gazes.

Jerome: Frankly, I don't know why on Terra they would ever give me that position, but it's nice, I think? I assume that was what the call was.

Jerome asked while James nodded, taking off his helmet and setting it on the holo-table.

James: It was, but don't worry too much about the responsibility; you'll grow into it.

The more experienced man said as Jerome nodded, slowly leaning against the table as he spoke.

Jerome: Alright, that helps a little, but do the rest know yet?

He asked James. The clone commander shook his head as he typed a few things into the holo table before holding out his hand. Jerome, blinking for a second, quickly scrambled and handed his new comrade the holo pad he had tucked under his arm. Captain Gallan chuckled softly at the boy's sudden jolt as James hooked up the tablet to the console as he spoke.

James: Not yet. I've called the command staff to inform them that you're here. You can do the honors now that you're here.

James said with a slight grin as Jerome went a bit stiff, the young man stuttering a little as the Liberation's captain walked around and patted the young man on the shoulder.

Gallan: Well, I have matters to attend to now. Good luck, Commander Cooper.

He said, giving the young man a curt nod before leaving. Meanwhile, Jerome shifted his weight back on his left leg while crossing his arms, his eyes glancing back to the turbo lift every so often as time passed. After a while, with his foot bouncing against the metallic floor, he turned towards James with a thin smile.

Jerome: Should I be this nervous? Cause I'm starting to get a clammy feeling.

James: You've been suddenly thrust into a position you weren't prepared to take up, to take command of a unit you met a few days ago and asked to lead them in a war you never trained for. I think you're warranted more stress than you think you do.

He replied to Jerome, the young man nodding as he tried to keep his foot planted on the floor.

Jerome: Yeah, I guess it's still sinking in. However, I'm still surprised the order came in quickly, a little too quickly.

He muttered, looking down at his sabers before turning back as the doors to the turbo lift opened. From it came the familiar helmeted figures of Liz, Barrage, Titan, Owl, and the last to meet the young force user, Midnight. They all formed a line before their commander and Jerome, hands clasped behind their backs.

Midnight: Sir, you called us?

James: I did; there's some news you may feel conflicted about.

He said, the clone officers glancing among themselves before looking back at their CO.

Titan: Are we being redeployed already?

James: No, it's not that.

James shook his head and walked around to stand next to Jerome. Placing his hand upon the force user's shoulder, the clone's gaze met the boys for a moment, then looked back at his comrades.

James: I believe our friend here can say it better than I can.

Barrage: Ah, the 'totally not a Jedi' returns. What's the news, kid? Are you in command of us or something?

He said with a chuckle, though the humor slowly faded as Jerome gulped and nodded, the clone captain going silent as Jerome breathed heavily before he spoke.

Jerome: As of today, I am a Padawan under Jedi Master Obi-wan Kenobi. Along with that title is a promotion to the rank of commander, with the 717th under my command. So, yeah...

He looked up at the helmeted clones, though even with their faces were hidden, their stances told the young man everything. Most of all out of them, the sudden anger permeated off the major as she took off her helmet and stared down at Jerome with a growing deathly stare.

Liz: James, please tell me this is a joke. There's no way this pipsqueak is our new commander!

Carter: Liz-

Liz: A Civilian as our commander James!? He has no experience leading troops! He's not a Jedi! He's a child with a fancy title! James, he's going to get us all killed! It's going to be-

She yelled, marching a few steps towards Jerome before James moved between them with a stern glare of his own.

James: Major, stand down. That's an order.

He stated, the bridge going silent as Jerome caught Gallan's gaze. The older captain gave him a slight nod as he looked back at his crew. Jerome, meanwhile, looked down after that, his gaze only lifting as he felt Titan's massive hand gently rest on his shoulder.

Titan: Kid, don't let her words get to you.

The large man stated, but Jerome still shook his head as he looked up.

Jerome: She's not wrong. I wasn't even a padawan for a day before becoming a commander.

He said, tightening his fists as he watched Liz let out a small, confident chuckle.

Liz: See, he even agrees with me. Why the hell should we stand for this order, sir?

She said confidently before catching Jerome's look before it shifted between the clones.

Jerome: Liz might be correct, but that doesn't mean I'm just going to sit around twiddling my thumbs. I want you all to teach me what you know. How to fly a fighter, shoot a blaster, and command. Each of you is in your position for a reason. You know what you are doing. With your help, one day, you can trust my judgment without worry.

He said, his gaze last landing upon Liz as James nodded. However, Liz's expression dropped as Midnight started slowly clapping.

Midnight: That drive will get you places. I like this kid already.

Barrage: Hehe, hear that Liz? The kid's sticking around.

Barrage said, the major just giving him a death glare before putting on her helmet and turning away from her new CO. James glanced at her before he looked among his men.

Jerome: Well, seeing as that's all I have, is the meeting concluded?

Nervously chuckling, the young man looked up at his fellow commander. The clone sighed softly before patting the boy on the back.

James: Not exactly how we usually end these, but good first try, Barrage, Titan, Midnight, you're dismissed. Owl, set up a range, and get a blaster in the kid's hands.

Owl: Yes sir. Let's go kid.

He said, the new commander pushing off the holo table as the duo left with the others. James and Liz stood alone in the command room; the clone commander shut both sets of blast doors to the room as he took off his helmet.

James: That was out of line.

He said, his major taking a defensive stance while looking away from him.

Liz: James, you can't be ok with this order, can you?

She said as she crossed her arms, though the female shuttered under her CO's cold expression as he stared into her soul beyond the helmet's visor.

James: Liz, like it or not, orders are orders. Either we can get him up to snuff, or it IS going to be a reenactment of our first deployment.

Liz: Then why the hell are you accepting this?!

She slammed her fist against the table, the screen scrambling till it reformed a second later, the major's breathing having quickened before she stepped back in a dejected stance as James's face remained stone cold.

Liz: I...James, how do we know if we even train him that, it won't end up like Genoisis?

She asked, her voice getting stuck in the back of her throat as James sighed and shrugged.

James: I trust you and the others to help me mold him. Do you want some random Jedi coming in if he doesn't want this command? Or do you want this kid to learn our way of fighting? You don't have to like this, Liz, I can't blame you for being hesitant, but this is how things will be. You are dismissed.

He said, tapping the table a few times as the blast doors opened. A small wave of personnel from both sides hurried across, Liz being lost among them as she headed for the lift. James stayed over by the table, lost in thought, till a set of footsteps came up behind him, and he looked at Captain Gallan.

Gallan: Next time, I'd like a warning when you lock me in with my command crew.

James: My apologies, captain. I just had to sort some things out with her.

He said, his voice growing tired as Gallan nodded and looked towards where she had left.

Gallan: I see... she's wounded. I can already tell. We all lose people, but she can't focus on her past.

James: I know, sir, I know. Both of them could learn from each other.

Gallan: Agreed. Do you think the kid is up for this?

He asked. James turned to face the captain with a nod.

James: He's a good kid. Not many his age would do what he's attempting now. That takes a resolve that makes good leaders.

Gallan: That's for sure. Experience may be valuable, but so is new blood with drive. But, I do worry if we came across Zar, what she did, he isn't going to forget that.

James gave him a look and put his helmet back.

James: Agreed, but let's hope he doesn't let it consume him.

Gallan sighed as he straightened his cap, and both went off to ready their men. James headed off to where Jerome and Owl would likely be set up, the hanger. For which the aforementioned men, Jerome let out a frustrated growl as he set down the DC-15. The targets sat burned by blaster bolts, though not a single one was remotely near the center. Owl just let out a sigh as he stepped up next to the force user, the clone captain having watched from the side before he spoke.

Owl: You need to focus more.

Jerome: And what do you think I've been trying?

He snapped a bit before picking up the blaster rifle again, bracing it against his shoulder as he aimed. Keeping as steady as the novice could, lining up on the center with the iron sights, he pulled the trigger. A blue bolt left the barrel and flew through the air before implanting against the outer edge of the target. Jerome let out another growl and dug the stock into his shoulder before Owl put a hand on his shoulder.

Owl: Why don't we change blasters before you hit someone with your aim?

He suggested while stepping away from the new commander as he lowered the blaster with a harsh exhale.

Jerome: Fine, you'd think working on blasters for so long that I could at least shoot one.

Owl: Logistics and combat are separate things; why don't we try something smaller?

He said, taking the blaster rifle from Jerome's hands before switching it out for the DC-17. The young man took it, looking over the blaster pistol and then glancing back at the target. Taking a deep breath, he squared his stance, firmly griped, and aimed down the sight like before. Owl smiled from under his helmet as he watched from over his shoulder.

Owl: Breath, take your aim, and pull the trigger on the exhale.

He instructed Jerome, nodding as the young man let out his breath before sending off another bolt, the ionized plasma nailing the target much closer to the center than before. Smiling, Jerome glanced back at Owl as the clone nodded.

Owl: Again, and loosen your shoulders a little this time.

Jerome: Right.

Jerome said as he breathed in, closing his eyes for a second, but he did not open them as something changed. A feeling started to permeate from his shoulders and down to his fingertips. Slightly adjusting the grip and lowering his arms, Jerome pulled the trigger. Upon the force user's exhale, his eyes opened, and he was surprised as a sizzle from the bolt sounded as smoke rose from the direct center of the target. Lowering the weapon, Jerome looked back to his teacher. Owl stood still, his visor staring directly at the dispersing smoke before slowly moving to meet his CO's eyes.

Owl: I don't know what you did, but...again.

He said with some disbelief. Jerome nodded and aimed, keeping his eyes open and firing a few bolts off. Unlike the prior shot, each hit the target around the bullseye; though not the same, his aim had improved as he kept firing from the same stance, the young lad even closing his eyes again but felt nothing to those moments before.

Jerome: Huh, these didn't feel tingly.

Owl: What?

The clone said as Jerome shrugged and relaxed while looking over the firearm again.

Jerome: When I focused last time, my arms felt tingly. Is that normal?

Owl: No, I've never felt anything similar. It could be something with those Jedi powers of yours.

The clone said as Jerome hummed as he looked up at Owl.

Jerome: Maybe. At least we found something I can shoot.

Owl: Agreed, you hang onto that one.

He said, shifting over to one of the creates and pulling out the holster. The clone tossed it over to Jerome, who grabbed it out of the air. However, the young man struggled to attach the new addition under his coat. Owl, shaking his head, pulled the boy's coat flap aside and adjusted the holster for him.

Owl: There, that's how you do it. Now find Jorge. He should be around here somewhere; we'll pick this up again later. For the first day, you weren't bad, but practice will hone that aim. Once you have that down, we can move on to more complex training.

Jerome: Yeah, thanks, Owl.

Jerome said, holstering the new weapon as the scout nodded.

Owl: Anytime kid.

He said, stepping back before giving him a salute, which Jerome reciprocated before walking off to find Jorge. However, he nearly ran into his fellow commander as James rounded a stack of crates. Jerome almost fell into said crates as he moved out of the clone's way.

Jerome: Ah?! O-oh, sorry, commander!

He said, catching himself before awkwardly leaning against them with a fake smirk.

Jerome: I, ah, didn't see you there. Funny running into you.

James sighs under his helmet before shaking his head.

James: It's ok, seeing as I was looking for you.

Jerome: R-really now, something the matter, sir?

The young commander asked while James shook his head again.

James: Not at all; it's quite the opposite. Before I leave, how was training with Owl?

He asked, gesturing for the young man to follow as he strode across the hanger. Jerome was quickly shooting up, followed on the clone's heels, passing by the last of the crew loading aboard the supplies for the day. Jerome ended up in stride with his new co-leader as the sounds of loud thumps drew them both to their target. The duo found Titan placing down several large crates from a hovering cart. The big man whipped his brow and turned towards the new arrivals.

Titan: Commander's, what do I owe the pleasure?

He asked, setting himself down on a crate that groaned under the man as he shifted. Jerome raised his brow before looking at James. The senior commander gestured to an AT-TE that stood empty alongside the others of the battalion, not even answering the young man's question.

James: Would you help me look over the data from our last engagement?

Titan: Sure, but wouldn't this typically be done with you and Liz-...Oh, I take it she didn't like what you had to say?

He said, having stopped midway through as both he and Jerome could feel the sudden shift in his mood. The captain quickly rose to his feet and headed over to the loading door of the walker with Jerome and James on the man's heels. All three entered the metallic beast as Jerome tapped his co-commander on the shoulder.

Jerome: Um, James, I have a question.

James: Yes?

The clone replied as he stood next to a holo table. Titan walked past, moving further up to the cockpit to start up the walker and leaving Jerome alone with James as he took off his helmet and got his first good look at the clone. Rugged jawline, short black buzz-cut hair, and dark hazel eyes. Honestly, he would have looked like any other soldier if not for the large burn scar that ran from below the undersuit lining to just under his chin on the left side. Resisting an urge to redirect his question, Jerome gulped before speaking.

Jerome: So, not to disrespect her, but is the major always so...bitchy?

He said, sweat slowly dripping down his brow as James looked down at him. The man stayed quiet for a bit before speaking, his eyes giving away the pain that carried along with his speech.

James: No, she usually isn't. Liz is a complicated woman. She can lead as well or better than I do when put in the right circumstances. However, Liz has never taken failure that well. Thus, the tendency to avidly avoid any events that remotely signal a similar outcome to any past defeats, with one in particular with the last CO she had before me.

He said, Jerome slowly nodding as he digested everything, then moving on with the topic.

Jerome: Ok, was a Jedi commanding the 717th before me?

Jerome asked as the holo table lit up, and the thundering steps drew his attention to Titan as he appeared from the front cabin of the walker and spoke.

Titan: Let's say there wasn't always just one experimental battalion kid, but for the sake of time and your worries, you're already doing better than they ever could.

The big man said as James nodded, the commander starting to type away on the table before holograms of different sections of Jerome's home city and the orbit of Reach itself appeared before the three.

James: I agree. Now then, listen up. This will be your first post-operational breakdown. If you want to learn anything other than practical skills, it's here.

Jerome: Yes sir.

He said, settling in on his side of the table as the three began to look over the actions that day, though, for the new commander, he knew not what lay before him the next few hours. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 4K 35
When your planet comes under invasion from the Separatists, a small force of clones from the Republic helps. Captain Rex leads a small group of his 5...
244K 6K 41
The Galactic Republic is in grave danger. Since the dramatic death of the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, the Senate believed the Republic was in no ha...
Runaway By ct8924

Fanfiction

330 27 14
CT-8924 is a clone trooper serving in the great army of the Republic. But he feels like he doesn't belong to the battle field. So he decides to run a...
238 19 6
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... War has stretched across the Galaxy! Peaceful systems are plunged into the heat of battle, with many be...