The Children of Nihon (BOOK T...

By Sunken_City

[COMPLETED] Book TWO of the magical Nihon Series follows Sofia and Orì, as the abducted children are being br... More

Chapter 1 - The Prison Caravan
Chapter 2 - Just a Game
Chapter 3 - Master Zbgi
Chapter 4 - The Banquet
Chapter 5 - The Mask Makers
Chapter 6 - The Boy with the Magical Hands
Chapter 7 - Secrets Revealed
Chapter 8 - A Lesson in Magic
Chapter 9 - An Audience with Mother
Chapter 10 - Mirror Image
Chapter 11 - A Very Long Day
Chapter 12 - The Escape
Chapter 13 - The First Night
Chapter 14 - A Dangerous Crossing
Chapter 15 - The Bayla
Chapter 16 - A Band of Four
Chapter 17 - The Forgotten Kingdom
Chapter 18 - The Islanders' Tavern
Chapter 19 - A Curious Invitation
Chapter 20 - Inaan and the Sailors
Chapter 21 - The Invisible Island
Chapter 22 - Antibe's Story
Chapter 23 - Sorceress
Chapter 24 - Three Conversations
Chapter 25 - Ami's Gift
Chapter 26 - The Magic Garden
Chapter 27 - The Attack
Chapter 28 - The Masters' Revolt
BOOK THREE - Sneak Preview

Chapter 29 - Sofia's Decision

822 98 19
By Sunken_City

From the moment Sofia had stepped into Nihon, her sense of reality had become somewhat ambiguous. She had soon realized that she couldn't trust the tapestry of people and landscapes any longer, that what her senses perceived was not necessarily that which was. But on the other hand, there were underlying truths that had become easier for her to grasp, even, or sometimes especially, if they contradicted what she beheld. Looks were deceiving, but the reason for the deceit - be it vanity, fear, or conformity, or only mere playfulness - became all the more obvious, and it told her something that she might not have known otherwise.

She had come to understand that for some people, or in some situations, deceit became a necessity, and by now, she couldn't imagine that this had not also been the case at her old home, on the Other Side. But the unadorned lack of varnish, the very plainness, had been a more effective hiding tool than anything the people from Nihon had at their disposition. Here, the possibilities were endless, and that could be limiting.

For example, Orì's appearance told her something about her friend that she might not have known otherwise, or wouldn't have recognized so quickly. But what she also knew was that it only solved a fraction of Orì's sadness and of the loneliness that came with being Mother's daughter. Even though Sofia didn't know her own parents and had often longed for them, and for a mother especially, she did not envy Orì.

Orì, who was usually boastful and defiant, became a shadow of herself in Mother's presence, and what was worse, Sofia found, was that Mother played on it. She therefore resolved to make up for a friend's sudden timidity with her own courage. She didn't feel courageous, but if she had learned one thing in Nihon, it was that she could just make herself that which she wanted to be, even if her insides didn't match up.

She held Mother's stare without even trying to mimic her false friendliness. It was easier than she had expected. She had considered making herself taller, but she found that she didn't need it.

"What do you want?" she asked.

Mother smiled.

"You're awake, now. That's good."

"I always was," Sofia replied, though she knew that it wasn't true.

"If you say so," Mother said softly. "Well, Sofia, I need a delegation to pay tribute to the other courts before the games begin. To prepare the terrain, if you like. It needs to be a royal delegation, but I am afraid that some of the other rulers feel, well, uncomfortable around me. They don't trust me, even though there is nobody more well-meaning than myself. And dear Orì's brother, I cannot spare him at the moment."

At the mention of her brother, Orì turned pale beneath her blue glow.

"Does he -," she muttered, "does he know -"

Mother turned to her. She looked sad and resigned, as if something unavoidable but tragic had happened.

"I had to tell him where I was going, dear. And he was terribly upset when you had not come back with me. He was quite angry at me. You know how he always says I am being too lenient with you."

"He's a brute!" Orì exclaimed.

Mother laughed.

"He is a little rough around the edges. That is another reason why it is best not to send him."

"So, you want to send Orì instead?" Sofia asked.

"Isn't that dangerous?" Ami interjected.

He was trying to match Sofia's fearless attitude, but was falling a little short. It didn't matter though. Mother was clearly impressed, or maybe only amused, by their show of solidarity.

"It would be the height of stupidity and recklessness for anyone to threaten my daughter. And anyway, you would not be travelling alone. I will not make the mistake again to let you run off. You will be accompanied by a few of my trusted guards."

Sofia was trying to get a sense of what Mother's words were doing to Orì, and how Ami was reacting. Yet, Orì was quite lost. She stood there as if she was expecting to be bundled up and carried away any moment.

"Why would we do that?" Sofia asked. "For you of all people?"

Mother opened her eyes wide.

"Me of all people? How you make me out to be... You really are making me the villain in your story, but I promise you, once you have seen more of Nihon's hidden places, you will come to think differently about me."

"Not about your methods though."

"Ah, methods are another thing altogether. What counts is the result. And I firmly plan on Shazar winning the games, and the Masters' revolt to be squashed. There is not much I won't do."

"Not even using your own daughter?" Antibe interjected.

She had been listening quietly, with a growing despair on her face that didn't bide well to Sofia. She did not feel like much help would come from her, nor even what such help could look like. Antibe was a sorceress, and powerful too. But what could she do against Mother and Master Zbgi and his disciples? Whatever she chose, her loyalties lay with the people who had come to find refuge on her island. And not with them.

"My daughter," Mother replied, "knows very well the responsibilities that come with her title and her lineage. And not long ago, she was proud of it. She has been led astray, but she will return to her family's fold." She turned towards Orì. "Won't you, darling?"

Sofia observed her friend's reaction. She resolved that whatever she would do or say, she would back her up. And she was little surprised when Orì nodded.

"Yes, Mother," Orì said.

Mother smiled brightly.

"What about you, Sofia?"

Sofia looked straight into her eyes to let her know that her words were not everything, that she had still a mind and thoughts of her own.

"Yes, Mother," she said.

Mother clasped her hands together.

"Wonderful. And you, Ami? Will you come back with me to Shazar? You could study there, you could teach the others how to make masks, and you could be in charge of our own atelier."

For a moment, Ami could see clearly what this would mean for him. His own place, his new home. He could even see that, after an initial time of unhappiness and regret, he would in fact become very happy. He would have a simple, good life, and it would be all he had ever wanted.

"No, Mother," he said after gulping down a big breath. "I will go with Orì and Sofia."

"Very well," Mother said. "I am sure they will be happy to have you."

*

They went back to the room where they had only spent one night, to gather their few belongings. They weren't sure what they would need, probably Mother would provide them with every necessity for their travels. But they didn't want to leave anything behind. Probably, they would never come back to the island.

On their way, they passed Sofia's garden. It was still there, just as they had left it, even though Sofia hadn't spared it a single thought. It made her stop in her tracks.

"So, it is true," she said. "I am a -"

Again, she couldn't say the word. Again, Orì said it for her.

"Sorceress."

Sofia nodded.

"It's nothing to be ashamed about, Sofia," Ami said. "You can be ashamed of what you do, but not of who you are. It wasn't your choice."

"But what if I do the wrong things?"

"You won't," Ami said.

Sofia looked doubtful.

"We won't let you," Orì said. "As long as we're together, we will be fine."

Ami agreed.

"As long as we're together."

The Bayla stuck its head out of Ami's pocket. After having patrolled around them during the thunderstorm, it had become tiny again as soon as Mother's foot had touched the island, and had hidden away. There had been something about her that had made the Bayla's courage become non-existent, almost as if he knew her, and as if he had good reason to be scared of her.

Now, it hopped out of its hiding place, and for a moment, all three of them thought that it would leave them, that it would run or fly away. Instead, it morphed into a large, slender cat, striding next to them.

"As long as we're together," Sofia repeated.

The thought calmed her fears. And her excitement, too.

Because now, finally, she would get to know all about Nihon.

End of Book 2 - Thank you for reading, voting & commenting!!!

Book 3 is already up...

"The Games For Nihon"

Turn to the next part for a little sneak preview and follow my Profile to be the first to know :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.3K 895 46
(Y/N) is the older sister of Princess Sofia. She is a hardworking girl from the village trying to work her way to become a sorceress. But when her mo...
3.4K 360 58
{Book 2. Sequel to Into Narnia. PLEASE READ THAT FIRST! This book will not make sense if you don't. Also this is basically a sequel to ever chapter e...
57 6 49
Summary: Magic! Monsters! Spirits! Bandits! Warlords! Odd couple friendships! Falcon mascot! The Empire broke the world when they betrayed the elemen...
107K 6K 32
Highest Rank #1 Fantasy - Bridges are meant to be crossed, aren't they? And yet, Sofia doesn't know of anybody who has ever crossed into Nihon, the...