Getting The Guy

By Fetish-for-melody

Meet Vannessa Walters, a teenager who lives a lavish lifestyle. She has things that most teenagers can only d... More

🍂INTRODUCTION🍂
Chapter 1: The Truth Hurts
Chapter 2: The Change
Chapter 3: The Unbreakable Bond
Chapter 5: The Agreement
Chapter 6: The First Step
Chapter 7: The Attitude
Chapter 8: The Insecurities We Feel
Chapter 9: The Things We Hope For
Chapter 10: The Thoughts Of You
Chapter 11: Who Knew?
Chapter 12: The Start Of Something New
Chapter 13: The Butterflies
Chapter 14: What Do You Mean?
Chapter 15: The Thoughts I Face
Chapter 16: The Nerves
Chapter 17: New Friends?
Chapter 18: The Road Trip
Chapter 19: The Beautiful Mistake
Chapter 20: The Confrontation
Chapter 21: The Master Plan
Chapter 22: The Pain You Give Me
Chapter 23: These Flaws Of Mine
Chapter 24: The Concert
Chapter 25: The Aftermath
Chapter 26: The Final Step
Chapter 27: The Beginning Of The End
Chapter 28: The Fit Of Rage
Chapter 29: The Great Disregard
Chapter 30: The First Downfall
Chapter 31: The Things You Do
Chapter 32: The Indecisive Heart
Chapter 33: The Step Up
Chapter 34: The Sleepover

Chapter 4: The Gala

31 5 3
By Fetish-for-melody

Song: Find You Again

Artistes: Martin Garrix ft. Camila Cabello 

-

***_***_***_***

The cool breeze took control of my dark curls, dictating their every move.

The silence was deafening and I tried my best to steady my increasingly growing nerves as my heart palpitated behind my ribcage.

My breathing became shallow, and with much hesitancy, I turned back around to face him.

“W-what?”

The porch light flicked on as the sun began to kiss the day goodbye. I watched as the cloudy sky behind the sluggishly disappearing sun decorated the sky with a colour scope of peach, passion fruit yellow, neon pink and small hints of grey.

Dontae's eyes squinted as he studied me. I could see the ripening of anger before a match struck and ignited it in hot flames. 

He moved a few steps towards me and my heartbeat hammered violently against my ribs like a sledgehammer murdering a brick. The dull pounding was overwhelming and I braced myself for whatever was to come.

“You heard me.”

I breathed out slowly, trying to still my emotions that were currently residing in different continents.

“Dontae pleas—”

“Please what?” He snapped.

I jumped as he ambled closer, his arms still tightly crossed against his chest. 

It was intimidating. 

“Please don't talk about how you shut me out? Please don't talk about how every time I tried to talk to you at home you're too busy to talk or please don't talk about the way you turn away from me whenever you see me at school like a complete stranger?”

Ok. Maybe I did deserve his anger. He did have a point.

He continued.

“Do you have any idea how you hurt me Vannessa?”

He wasn't shouting but the authority was still very present in his voice. His narrowed gaze made me squirm uncomfortably.

“I didn't mean to hurt you, Dontae. It was for the best with everything that had happened. 

I turned my head to look at the sun which was now halfway through the sky. The colourful hues were now dulling as night creeped in slowly but surely. 

“So hurting and ghosting your best friend was the best way to go?”

“Dontae, it's not like that.”

He rolled his eyes.

“It… was the best way to deal with everything back then. It was my way of coping. Please understand.”

I turned my eyes in his direction. Silently pleading for him to stop digging up old wounds.

It seemed he got the message because his features softened. And he strolled down the stairs. His hands fell lazily into the pockets of his denim pants.

“You could have talked to me, you know. You didn't have to throw me out of your life like an old broken disc.”

I studied his dark eyes. 

There was something present in them. So inconspicuous it was hard to crack the code and bring forth the emotions that played behind the beautiful impenetrable chocolate brown of his eyes. 

He was always so good at masking his emotions. And it made me want to scream at the top of my lungs because as cruel as it may sound, part of me wanted to see just how much I hurt him.

A part of me longed to see how my absence had affected him. 

But I inhaled deeply and discarded that notion.

I don't have a right to know his thoughts or his feelings after the way I treated him.

He should hate me.

“I'm really sorry, Dontae.” 

He exhaled loudly and looked off to the side at the sun that had now disappeared from the sky.

The evening was now darker than before and he turned back to me.

“I should probably go and give that file to my parents.” He scratched his head. “It might be something important.”

"Um… y-yeah, right. I'll see you around I guess?" I stammered awkwardly.

He nodded with pursed lips and before it could get even more weird, I left the Wilson's house as fast as I could.

-

***_***_***_***

When I was inside my house, I leaned against the door and shut my eyes. I couldn't help thinking about the interaction that I just had with Dontae a few minutes ago.

It confused me why he was so interested to know why I had cut him off so many years ago. 

It was true that I didn't stop talking to him because I wanted to hurt him. 

But that was only half the truth.

The truth is, I was so caught up in my own world and my own feelings at the time that I didn't want to drag Dontae into my mess. 

He deserved better than anything I could ever give him.

As my best friend, he was always there for me. He was my rock, my shield and my shoulder to lean on whenever life got too hard. 

But when that incident happened, it was during the time when Dontae had begun rising in popularity. So I stepped back and let him take the spotlight. 

And maybe, just maybe, there was a part of me that hated the way I pushed him out of my life and disappeared with obscurity into the background.

I think I did have one or two classes with Dontae here and there over the years. But even if I did, I think I had hid in the furthest corner of the classrooms to avoid attention. 

Yes, I was known at school as being the smart girl who had skipped a grade in middle school. But I wasn't big on socializing. Unless I had to or if I had to complete assignments in groups. Or if I wanted to tutor someone. 

Whenever I had seen him in the hallways at school whether with his friends or if he was alone, I would disappear from his view as quickly as I could before he could say a word to me.

Eventually, I think he just gave up.

Until today apparently.

And today it was like I got a harsh slap across my face, reminding me that it isn't easy to run from the past.

Especially if a huge part of that past happens to live right next door.

I sighed heavily and in that moment, my dad appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

“Oh, honey! I was beginning to wonder if the Wilson's had adopted you.”

My eyes flashed open and I don't know why, but I blushed when the memory of how Dontae had held me gently resurfaced. 

It was… weird.

I cleared my throat and stepped away from the door. 

“No, dad. They didn't kidnap me, I actually got distracted on the way, but I gave them the file.” I said quickly. 

“Distracted?” He questioned with a tilt of his head to the side. 

“Yeah. You know, distracted by the trees and the sunset outside. “

He jutted his bottom lip and shrugged easily while I tried to silence the turmoil inside me.

“Ok great.” 

He spun around with his arms spread wide. 

“How do I look?”

“You look great dad,” I complimented.

And he did look great. The well fitted charcoal grey suit was neatly buttoned. A white shirt laid underneath his black and white tie. And the colours he wore matched perfectly with his shiny pair of black formal shoes.

“Awww thanks darling.” 

He pulled his phone from his front pocket and his fingers began to tap swiftly across the screen. 

“Let's go.” Dad said. “We're leaving now. Our driver is waiting outside and we need to get there before seven.”

-

***_***_***_***

The atmosphere was cramped with an endless feel of awkwardness. And I felt uncomfortable. 

Dontae sat next to me.

I had no idea that my dad had invited the Wilson's to carpool with us to the gala.

Dontae sat next to me and his parents along with my dad, sat across from us.

For the past few minutes, my dad and Dontae's parents had been on their phones, coercing back and forth about straight business.

It honestly began to sound like gibberish to me after a while and I glanced out the window at the cars and houses that wisped by. Tuning out my surroundings. 

But that was short-lived as Mrs. Wilson called my name.

“Vannessa honey, it's so nice to see you again. You are gorgeous dear. Very sexy and your hair and your entire outfit is to die for. You're like a fierce cat,” she surprised me by lifting one side of her mouth into a growl and I couldn't do anything but blush profusely as I mumbled a meek little ‘thank you’.

Mr. Wilson slapped her arm lightly and sent her a look which I suppose she understood and her eyes widened slightly before they went back to their talks of business. Just like my dad, who was too immersed in his phone call to even notice anyone else in the room.

But someone who I wish didn't hear the brief conversation did. And I wanted to crawl into the nearest hole from embarrassment. 

"That conversation was worth listening to," Dontae whispered for my ears only.

And I felt my cheeks burning red. Again.

Luckily, the limo came to an abrupt halt outside the venue in that instant and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Perfect timing!

Pattrick, our driver, opened the door and the adults stepped out of the limo then Dontae and I followed afterwards.

I remembered the distinct flashing of lights. The continuous sounds of enormous cameras as they clicked away relentlessly. And loud voices screaming like they were in the midst of a third world war.

I remember hearing ridiculous questions which made me have sudden sympathy for celebrities. 

“Are you Tom Walters' daughter?”

“How old are you?” 

And…

“When did you two start dating?”

Were some of the questions that were thrown my way.

I had stared at Dontae wide eyed when an unhinged reporter shouted the question at me with his microphone held out expectantly.

Dontae had dismissed them with a stoic expression and an uninterested ‘no comment’.

In that moment, I was grateful that Dontae and my dad had held my arms supportingly as we hurried to the large, see-through glass doors of the fancy looking hotel.

I fully expected Dontae to just walk ahead and catch up with his parents, but instead, he stood by me.

And something weird happened to my stomach at his beautiful gesture.

We reached the inside of the hotel and the two males who had guided me through the swamp of people outside had now released both my arms.

Dontae disappeared somewhere inside the hotel and my dad pulled me away to an empty corner.

“If anyone asks you anything just ignore them.” He says sternly. “You don't have to answer anyone and if anyone asks you personal questions, redirect that question to them because the people here are sharks in expensive clothing. They'll do anything to get dirt from you. Ok?”

I nodded in understanding. 

“Alright pumpkin. Have fun, alright?” Dad kissed my forehead and looked at me expectantly. Smiling like he was waiting for a response.

I smiled lightly. “Yeah. Got it.”

He led me through people adorned by expensive looking ballroom dresses, fancy hairstyles, elegant suits, rare looking jewelry and shoes worn with unfiltered finesse.

We stopped at the refreshments table and my dad disappeared to mingle with people who are, without a doubt, clients or potential clients for his business. 

My dad, along with Dontae's parents, owned a chain of hotels in a few countries and meddled in the production of music here and there. Sometimes they work together to benefit both of their empire.

My dad was the epitome of a businessman and I could see why. He travels a lot and often gets really immersed in his work that he forgets about the rest of the world.

Sometimes, even his family.

I grabbed a piece of cake from a plate on the large table. The table was stacked to the brim with food and drinks and I grabbed a piece of cake from a nearby tray. 

I gobbled it down and poured a sparkling blue liquid into a fancy flute. I washed the delightful dessert down with the sweet, tangy blueberry tasting liquid and licked my lips in satisfaction. 

“Are you even old enough to drink?” An amused voice spoke, almost causing my drink to topple over.

My eyes flit to the person who was addressing me and I blushed. 

Oh. My. Gosh.

It's—

“It's rude to stare you know?”

Mirth still lurked inside the voice and I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ears nervously, suddenly feeling embarrassed. 

“You're Quincy Fouse,” I mumbled, stating the obvious.

I was surprised that the excitement bubbling inside me wasn't the least bit evident on my face. I had no idea I could be this calm in front of a celebrity. 

But I had a feeling that I would have probably scared him off if I released a scream resembling something that a cat being dragged across pointed blades of rocks would emit from the depths of its soul. So I kept the excitement at bay.

“Yes. I'm glad we both came to that realization.” He chuckled and I smiled a little. 

He was really handsome. That gorgeous dark head of curls along with his attractive facial features and deep brown eyes was the epitome of beauty. His body didn't disappoint either.

I cleared my throat. 

“Are you always this cocky,” I asked genuinely. 

A round of sweet, straight from the depths of the tummy laughter, filled my ears like a lovely lullaby.

I sipped the blue liquid again and this time when he asked if I was allowed to drink the liquid, I replied with, “it's champagne. So for a sixteen year old, I think I'm allowed to drink it.”

He laughed again and I couldn't help admiring his sweet baritone.

Light, comfortable music engulfed the room and couples began making their way to the middle of the room which was suddenly transformed into a dance floor. People grabbed their partners affectionately and I watched as they swayed left and right to the waves of the soft ballad.

“Could you do me the honor of this dance?” Quincy asked out of the blue. 

My eyes widened at his bold and sudden query and I stood frozen. Sputtering, “you…” I pointed the flute in his direction. Then I pointed it back to me. “Would like a dance with me?”

“Yes…” He said slowly. 

“That is unless you find me incredibly repulsive.”

My eyes widened even more and I downed the rest of the champagne in one swift gulp and grabbed his outstretched hand.

“No. Of course not.”

He looked at me teasingly and i quickly elaborated. 

“I mean, yes. I'd love to dance with you.”

He led me towards the dance floor and I shyly rested my hand on his shoulder as we readied ourselves to perform the custom dance that most people were doing in the large area of the fancy hotel.

As we got comfortable, talking, laughing and swaying, I boldly placed my head on his shoulder and sighed contently.

Maybe we are going to be really good friends.

-

-

___________________________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about Quincy?

There is a lot more in store so keep reading and thank you for taking the time to read this chapter. Vote and comment...or choose one if you like this chapter. 

I will post chapter five soon so look out for it. Until next time…

Your amateur author,
Fetish_For_Melody 💞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478K 20.8K 37
He scowled, she smiled. He's rude, she's polite. He's rich, she's not. He's a loner, she's friendly. He's the storm, she's the sunshine. Meet Mason...
584 0 40
Sebastian Walters. He is someone who has everything: ladies, fame, music gifts, good looks, wealth, seriously everything. But there is one thing: he'...
25.5K 500 59
Vanessa, has now grown up and moved on with her life but she has never gotten over her first love. When she receives a 20 year high school reunion in...
13.8K 1.3K 45
📖Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list📖 Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...