𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

lxxvi. hail !

334 15 0
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑺𝑰𝑿
❝ 𝒉𝒂𝒊𝒍 ! ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

THE CELEBRATION DIDN'T START UNTIL LATE at night.

After Neptune's embarrassing moment that night, Legolas had been confused about what to do for a moment before ultimately deciding to help his friend — ish — up and on a chair until he awoke. The man didn't wake up the whole time that Legolas assisted him onto a chair, merely giggling and slurring through dazed words half-asleep. This would be the second time that Legolas had helped Neptune in his drunken state but he had a feeling that this wouldn't be the last, considering he had just blurted out his desire to spend the rest of his life with Neptune's sister. He didn't realize he had said it but the elf knew that he meant it wholeheartedly; he really did want to spend the rest of his life with Vera, and she may have not known it but by the way that her spirit hummed with his through the healer's bond at the mention of his words, he knew that she wanted it too.

They have yet to actually talk about, seeing as Neptune had interrupted their conversation before he could actually articulate words that are not pure stammering and confused excuses. Vera didn't seem that upset that the conversation ended, anyway, as she had quickly departed from the trio of her mortifying brother and her confused beloved, leaving said beloved to experience the hardships of having a drunk mermaid in his hands. As Legolas looks at her now, he notices that she is laughing happily with Corin as they started to greet the many guests and people of Rohan passing through the entrance. They are situated at the doorway, ready to greet anyone that passed through those doors while holding small conversations among themselves. Sometimes, some of Vera's subjects would pass by and greet their Queen with praise and delight over her recovery. 

Vera didn't want to admit it — and she would never say it aloud — but Neptune is practically nothing compared to the other drunken mermaids that Vera has encountered under the sea. She didn't know if it was because the intakes are different or if their systems just don't work the same as the other free races of Middle Earth but she knew that she definitely didn't want to get drunk. 

But it was sometimes inevitable.

As the people of Rohan slowly crowd the room with the passing of the moon at the sky, the last-minute preparations have been sorted out and organized by the graceful hand of the organized Mother Èowyn and Grandmother Trewyn, who had been stuck with the overstressing task after being assigned by Thèoden in the hopes that she would move away from Elfswith's side and have some time for herself, followed by the supporting argument that he wouldn't have wanted her to live so lifelessly. The two women are now standing with one another, drinks in hand as they conversed among themselves. To their right stood Aldwin overlooking the number of guests and to their far left, nearer to the middle of the room, Gandalf and Hope were talking too. 

Grimmund and Edgar had been stationed as half-time guards to ensure that nothing bad happened, though they highly doubted it, they couldn't be too sure. The men were rather content with being reunited after the battle and the long journey of overcoming their grief, and even from Vera's position at the doors, she could see Edgar eyeing Èowyn carefully from across the room. Gimli is occupying himself with Èomer and Thèoden while Aragorn talked to Haleth. Vera didn't know where Neptune and Legolas are, as they have disappeared from where she last left them and had enlisted the help of Corin to search for the two idiots. 

The last people of Rohan and Atlantis pass through, greeting Vera and Corin with bright smiles and half-bows before entering the large Hall, giving Vera and Corin the courtesy of closing the doors behind them, and officially starting the celebration. 

The crowded hall of Meduseld soon began to occupy the entire area with talks and conversations among themselves, drinks, and food being shared from the long table consisting of an assortment of different cuisines and meals meant for the guests attending the occasion. There are several groups assembling themselves onto the tables and seats respectively, letting the harmony of the place float through the room as the joyous event continued through the night. After losing Corin in the crowd of people ambling around the room, and inevitably giving up her search for Legolas and her brother, knowing that one of them will find her eventually as they always did, Vera had soon decided to stand by her grandmother and her cousin as they are the only people she can see that seem to be in a happy conversation. 

Thèoden was also in her line of sight but she didn't want to interfere with whatever he was talking about to an interested Edmund and a heavily bored Èmiliya, who is just about to run away if not for the presence of her King. 

Weaving through the tough crowds while greeting and apologizing to anyone she bumped into, Vera carefully arrived beside Èowyn and Trewyn, just about hearing the end of their conversation and a bundle of laughter before she appeared by their side. 

Trewyn beamed at her granddaughter immediately, appreciating the way that she pulled herself together. "Hello, Vera. You look good," Trewyn complimented kindly.

Vera smiled back at her grandmother. "Thank you, Grams, but this is all Èowyn's doing. That woman wouldn't let me eat until she was done with me. I think she purposely took a long time with Hope just to spite me. Though, she did do a fantastic job. But, to the important matters; I am hungry. When can I eat?" Vera asks, peering at Èowyn to glare at her as she stuck her tongue out before turning to an amused Trewyn to ask her last questions.

As she had asked her last question, a clinking sound resonated through the room, alerting the people of Rohan that the King would like to make an announcement and that their attention should be brought to him. Trewyn and Èowyn grinned at Vera as the mermaid groaned, alongside her desperate stomach, before Èowyn begins to disperse to be with her uncle as per the tradition of the people of Rohan. She could see the people begin to move and bustle around the room as they obeyed their King's order. Grimmund and Aldwin are now approaching the higher platform with the King's throne sitting atop of it proudly, along with Èomer and Èowyn as the family of King Thèoden began to stand by the King. Trewyn turns to Vera as the crowds began to clear. "Well, it seems that your moment has come. Soon after the speech, we will be able to eat and drink our hearts out. Though, as your grandmother, I wouldn't want you to drink too much...I have experienced a drunk mermaid before, Vera. Now, you can stand by Thèoden as per family tradition or disperse elsewhere. Your choice."

Vera practically danced in excitement at the thought of getting her food after a prolonged, despairing wait. "No, thank you, Grams. I'll be by the food if you need me. They are calling my name and I am not one to ignore one's call. And don't worry...I am definitely not planning on drinking tonight," Vera tells her, beginning to back away as a silence began to settle but turned around to face Trewyn again, whispering this time, "does Thèoden make long speeches?"

Trewyn whispered back, "don't worry. The worst kind of person to make a speech...I would know. Don't ever ask him to make a speech for your wedding."

"Noted."

Vera quickly moves away from Trewyn as the granddaughter-grandmother duo separated. Trewyn had gone to stand beside her son as Thèoden and Èowyn conversed after he had dismissed Èmiliya and Edmund, who were both more than happy to run off and cause more trouble, despite Èmiliya's aunt — Èothain and Freda's mother — scolding her for causing more ruckus. Vera, on the other hand, is now approaching the food table, passing by Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas with a smile on her face as she nodded towards them before making a bee-line for the long table by the back consisting of an assortment of meals. 

She decided to stand by the delights situated at the far end of the table, closer to the throne than the other side as she inconspicuously gazed longingly at the different pastries laid out for them to eat. Her stomach rumbled in greed but she tried her best to ignore it, turning her head to the front of the Hall as she watches Èowyn and Thèoden talking quietly, her cousin holding onto a wine glass. Suddenly, her throat begins to feel dry and her eyes flickered to the wine bottle standing closer to the pastries. She promises herself that she wouldn't drink as she certainly didn't want to embarrass herself but she needed something to stop the burning of her wounds. Thankfully, something had distracted her. 

Her mind, admittedly, isn't circulating around the little children but they are quickly brought back to them as she catches sight of the tiny devils. She could hear restrained giggles and stifled laughter emitting from under the covered table, behind the white cloth put onto the wooden table as a form of decoration and eye-pleasing. Confused, she furrowed her brows before crouching carefully down to investigate who could be causing some mischief but she had a feeling that she knew exactly who is under that table. She hasn't seen her little friends since she was unconscious and she felt rather guilty about that.

A grin slips onto her face, however, as all thoughts disappeared in her head. She had moved the ivory cover up to witness the troublemakers exchanging their favorite honey breads, different delights sprawled onto the floor, half-eaten, and messily misplaced. Vera chuckled and raised an eyebrow as she watched Èmiliya stop mid-exchange, looking at Vera like a deer caught in headlights while Edmund put a hand over his mouth in shock, an apologetic look covering his face but Vera didn't know if he was being sincere or doing it just to escape her supposed anger. In truth, she wasn't that angry about the delinquents as she knew that they needed to cope somehow with everything that is happening around Middle Earth. 

"Sorry?" Èmiliya offers, shrugging her shoulders while flashing Vera an innocent smile.

"What are you two doing down here, huh?" Vera asks, putting her hand out to bring Edmund and Èmiliya out, who both accepted her offer and began to crawl out from under the table. 

"Well, we were hungry—" Edmund started as he brushed his robes after standing up carefully with Vera and Èmiliya. 

"—I can relate to that—" Vera mumbles to herself.

"—and no one was looking so we took advantage of the situation. Is that bad?"

Vera thought for a moment. "Well, I suppose not. But under different circumstances, you mustn't do that again."

She turned around to face the front Hall again, waiting for Thèoden's speech to start but halted as she faced Èmiliya putting her arms out with an innocent smile, cake in hand. "Cake?"

Vera chuckled. "Later. Now, be quiet and listen to your King."

She didn't miss Èmiliya complaining about listening to Thèoden before and muttering about how boring he can be. She only smiled but focused on said King as he called for everyone's attention once more. Silence settled onto the Hall as attention is brought to the King, everyone watching in complete stillness as Èowyn gracefully approached her uncle, who looked down at her with a softened gaze, as she bowed her head respectfully and offered the King a goblet of wine, letting him graciously take it from her hands and present it to his people. Èowyn ascended the steps like a princess would, her back straight and her footsteps practiced as if they have done this a hundred times and Vera has a feeling that that is the case. Thèoden held his goblet out to let everyone see before beginning his short speech.

"Tonight, we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country," Thèoden started, raising the goblet up as an offer of toast to the dead soldiers of his realm. Vera hastily pours herself some wine in another goblet, telling herself that she will not drink this later on as she prepares for the toast. "Hail the victorious dead!" Thèoden cheered before raising his glass for the others to follow. Vera watches as Aragorn stands first before he is swiftly followed by the rest of the Hall, raising their goblets up to toast to the dead while repeating the words.

"Hail!" 

Vera quickly grinned at Thèoden, winking at her cousin from behind him before turning to a bored Èmiliya and Edmund, who are just inching towards running about and causing more trouble. "He really does suck at making toasts," Vera mumbled to herself before unintentionally taking a sip of her goblet. Her eyes widened comically as she realized what she did, feeling her taste buds tingle in pleasure at the taste before spitting the drink into her goblet inconspicuously. Èmiliya and Edmund watch her in confusion. "Don't say a word," Vera ordered before walking off, giving them the okay to leave and wander off as the celebration began. 

She leaned against one of the pillars by the back, observing the crowds and the people of Rohan interacting with one another before finally catching sight of her brother, unconscious and smiling at one chair in the far distance. She shook her head in disappointment. "Amateur." She unconsciously took a sip of her tainted wine, an idea settling onto her head as she did so, rendering her unaware of her actions.

An excited spunk settles onto her chest as she grins mischievously. Soon, she is making her way towards her unconscious brother, trying hard to hide her mischievous grin. Carefully, she takes the glass of water in his hands — and wonders how someone could be so drunk yet be able to hold onto a glass of water — before attempting to wake him up as she called out his name. When he didn't reply, she began to fill the glass of water before setting it onto the table and carefully leaving the crime scene. From her farther spot by the table of food, which is mostly crowded and provided the perfect escape for her, she discretely used what little energy she has to bring the water from the goblet up and towards Neptune's face, finally accomplishing the payback that she had been waiting for, ever since he dumped water on her while she was asleep.

Much to her delight, Neptune had quickly awakened in shock before proceeding to fall off the chair.

In order to remain innocent in all this, Vera quickly directs her attention to getting herself the long-awaited food that she has always wanted, perfectly concealing the grin on her face as she filled her plate up with as much food as she possibly could. Her stomach would truly be happy about that. She knew her brother would be searching for her as she is the only person able to make such magic from a distance but she has certainly bought herself some time to evade his accusations while creating the perfect excuse for her plan. As she takes a bite of her meal, she gracefully moves further away from Neptune without looking suspicious or catching attention to herself, trying to find the perfect accomplice for her. 

Her gaze finally fixates on Corin, who is talking quite happily to Coral, someone that Vera had seen when greeting the guests and someone that the mermaid Queen misses terribly. She didn't want to intrude and goes to find someone else for her perfect alibi but her breath catches in her throat as she sees Èmiliya and Edmund talking to a drenched Neptune, perfectly coming up with excuses and stalls for Vera to make her swift runaway. With no other option, Vera hurriedly waves her way through the crowds towards Corin and Coral, who — thankfully — appear to be done with their conversation as Coral grins before taking a sip of her drink. They seem to notice the arrival of their Queen as they completely halt their previous discussion to greet the seemingly suspicious mermaid.

"Hi," Vera greets shortly, situating herself beside Corin as she watches out for her raging brother, who seems to be talking rather heatedly to Èmiliya and Edmund while the two angels innocently argue back without losing their voice or breaking a sweat. Bless them, Vera thinks. 

Corin and Coral exchange confused glances before Corin decides to speak up as he is closer to their Queen, despite Coral raising Vera since she was a child — err, merling. "Any reason why you look rather...distressed, Queen Vera?"

"Oh, stop with the titles. Tonight is supposed to be fun! I am one of you, tonight," Vera dismisses before turning back to searching for her brother, widening her eyes as she sees her brother approaching the trio ragingly, "and I am not that distressed, in fact, I am rather relax— oh! Okay, Corin, I need an alibi. I may have done something to Neptune as retaliation from before in Rivendell but I don't want him causing a scene — drunk Neptune isn't exactly the best thing for the night so, please, go along. He's coming rather quickly." 

As Vera informed them of her plan, Neptune had finally managed to reach them still dripping and still fuming as he eyed his sister. He pointed his finger up at her warningly, glowering at Vera through blurry eyes. The woman only smiles innocently, turning to face her brother in faux confusion as she holds her wine goblet after seemingly conversing with the lovely Coral and Corin. She plants a feigned concern look. "Brother, what can I do for you? Why are you wet?" She tries not to laugh at the inappropriate sentencing. 

"Because of you!" Neptune exclaimed angrily, not realizing how inappropriate his words were as Coral drank her wine to avoid laughing at the Prince.

"What? What do you mean? Neptune, do you know how absurd that sounds, honestly?" Vera asks questioningly, her voice feigning in astonishment. 

Neptune glares at her as his sister took a sip of her wine in amusement when an idea flicked inside his mind. Like a light bulb, he straightens his back. "I know what you did, Vera! You don't need to lie to me. We all know that you are the only one able to do so. Otherwise, who else would do it?"

Vera dismissed his assumptions. "Pfft. Neptune, you were drunk and I was nowhere near you. Besides, you were unconscious. Anything could've happened and you would have no idea about it."

Neptune looked at her. She certainly took a few more sips than she wanted. "How did you know I was unconscious?"

Vera was silent. "Because...I saw you. Now, go get redressed. I would like to dance with Corin. Coral, you don't mind, right?" When the mermaid smirked at her Queen before shaking her head, Vera began to lead Corin to the floor with every intention of dancing with her friend.

Corin, however, was stopped by Neptune before he could leave. "I know what she did and I know you're helping her. I'm not mad but I have a proposition..."

Needless to say, whatever Neptune offered, Corin was happy to accept as he led Vera to the floor.

With a goblet of wine in hand.

By the time Vera and Corin were done talking and dancing, it was good late at night. She is practically swaying in her steps as she laughs at something Corin said for about the hundredth time as he carefully led her to where Gandalf and Aragorn are sitting. She didn't drink as much as Corin hoped but it did do something to her as her toes began to become numb and her mind began to grow fuzzled. She is laughing at essentially everything that she sees, causing human tears to erupt in her eyes as she giggled uncontrollably at Corin's shoes, which is the normal shoes meant for men. He didn't understand what she is laughing about but tries to laugh along with her before catching sight of Gandalf and beginning to lead her to them. 

Her eyes are considerably lighter, and her mind is certainly more relaxed than before as she slowly approached her two friends. As Corin began to leave her side after setting her down on the chair, Vera turns to an amused Aragorn and Gandalf as she lights up visibly and claps her hand in excitement. "Gandalf! I thought you were dead! Oh, this is exciting, you're alive, after all! And, you, Aragorn, you cheeky bastard! Did you know all this time and decided to keep it a secret? How rude!" Vera exclaimed as she clapped.

Gandalf took the job of nodding in agreement with Vera as Aragorn turned to Corin in confusion. The merman only shook his head, offering them a sorry look before disappearing into the crowd, leaving a tipsy Vera in Gandalf and Aragorn's hands. "Good luck."

Aragorn took note of his tone before facing Vera once more, quickly holding his hand out for Legolas and Gimli to join the group in their secluded table. Vera is now chortling at a crease in the table, mumbling to herself about something that Gandalf is suddenly interested in but Aragorn could barely bring himself to bother her about it while Legolas and Gimli approached the group after they conversed among each other. Legolas decides to sit next to Vera while Gimli occupied the seat beside Aragorn as they all started a conversation about something that Vera can't keep up with. As Legolas and Gimli sat down, Vera swiveled in her seat to greet the newcomers with an overly excited grin. "Legolas! Gimli! I've missed you both!" Vera squeals before pointing at Gandalf happily, "look! Gandalf's alive! And Aragorn has been keeping it a secret but I found out!"

She looked rather proud of herself. Legolas raises an eyebrow, exchanging a glance with the Ranger as they both smiled in amusement. "Really, now? Well, that must have been exciting."

Gimli, on the other hand, didn't understand. "This lassie must be out of her mind! Gandalf has always been alive! We all found out months ago! Someone has had too much to drink!" Gimli sniffs. 

Vera turns to glare at the dwarf. "I did not drink a sip since the beginning of the night! If anyone has been drinking, it's you, ginger!" 

"Ginger? What offensive term is this now?" Gimli slurs back, both of them obviously drunk off their asses. 

Before anyone sober among the group could interfere, they suddenly found themselves with two new members as they arrived with a plop and an excited shout. "Well, Gimli, ginger is merely a term for those who are red-headed, such as yourself," Pippin informs the man in a matter-of-factly tone. 

"But you can be considered a brunette, as well, like our dear friend, Princess Vera," Merry adds, telling Gimli. 

Vera furrows her brows. She leans closer to Legolas. "Is that Sam and Frodo?" she whispers but her voice can be heard throughout the group as they chuckle in amusement. She obviously didn't understand.

The elf places a chaste kiss on her head as she pouts in confusion. Merry and Pippin exchange glances. "I will never get used to that," Merry mutters. 

Pippin merely grins. "Please, Merry, I've been imagining that since Legolas ignored her because she was spending too much time with Boromir because he was jealous."

"I was not jealous," Legolas mumbles while rolling his eyes. 

Vera ignores their statements, simply taking another long sip of her never-ending wine before Legolas takes it from her. With the loss of her drink, Vera instead focuses on the crowds as a small smile fills her face, sobering up slightly. She leans her head onto Legolas' shoulder comfortably as her eyes twinkle warmly at the sight of Edgar asking Èowyn for a dance. Corin and Coral are on the floor as well, enjoying the time they have together as they danced in tune with one another. She felt something settle onto her chest, a content and blissful sensation filling her happy heart with more light and euphoria. That same glee is extended to her eyes as it glazed over, momentarily sobering up as a mood registers in the group. She glances at her friends. 

They have all been through so much, together and individually. They have each grown into something, completely different from when they first met one another long before. It felt like years have passed but it's only been a few months, and Vera didn't regret leaving her home one bit. She went on land for the right reasons and the right motives, to protect her people and assist in the journey of bringing light back to the world of Middle Earth for the future awaiting them all. However, during her journey, she has done so much more than that. For one, she found a friendship in each and every one of them, while also discovering who she is as a person and as a Queen first and foremost. They have a bond with one another that will be there till the end of time after laughing together, crying together, loving together, and fighting together. They may have lost one member but his death is not in vain.

Everything they have fought for and will continue fighting for is for this moment. She fiddles with the ring given to her from Boromir in thought and remembrance for the man. Somewhere in Vera's tipsy mind, she made herself another promise that she intended to never break. She will fight and fight to the death as long as this moment remained as it was; Èowyn and Edgar laughing as he tried to balance himself on his feet, Corin and Coral staring lovingly at one another with underlying happiness that blossomed as their spirits connected, Neptune laughing with his new friends as they enjoyed the feeling of being somewhere so joyous, her family talking among themselves with bright smiles as they reminisce as one, and Èmiliya and Edmund causing trouble with each like lifelong friends. And her friends...her friends just sitting with her in silence, probably thinking about the same thing as she is with the company of one another, peace inside their hearts and love emitting through the air.

Vera decides to take her drink from Legolas's hand, holding it up to the air as she greeted her friends sadly. "I would like to make a toast," she declared, bringing their attention to her as Merry mumbled something about being too drunk to even form sentences but Vera ignores it. "To everyone that has fought for this moment, died for this moment, lost for this moment, and lived for this moment. To the victorious dead, and to my friends. Because without you all, I would be nothing like the woman I am now. I would not have experienced the pain and grief of losing someone, nor would I have experienced the unconditional love of friendship. Because without you all, I would be lost in a dark path. You are my light. So, thank you. To the Fellowship...for there is still hope."

Aragorn smiled. "Cheers."

In unison, the Fellowship — minus two members — raised their glasses to meet in the middle, officially establishing their toast as they all took a drink, a new sort of happiness settling onto their hearts and spirits as they slowly began to depart, their bond renewed and thankfully stronger. Gandalf had gone off to be with Hope and Edmund, who seemed to have been arguing with another young man while Aragorn walked off to Èowyn. Merry and Pippin have disappeared to cause mischief while Gimli and Legolas walked away to get a drink after the latter placed a kiss on Vera's wine-tasting lips. Soon, the mermaid herself is being escorted to another dance as Grimmund courteously suggests a dance.

So, with a wide beam, Vera left the ghost of their moment to dance with her cousin, her family, who she would have never found without her friends. 

Vera felt like she was on cloud nine. She had been passed off from her drunk cousin Grimmund to giggling best friend Edgar, all the way to her reminiscing Uncle Aldwin and her rather drunk grandmother Trewyn. She has yet to dance with Èowyn or Hope, nor is she yet to dance with Thèoden or any of her Fellowship friends — particularly, Legolas — but the night is rather young and Vera is just getting started. After her dance with Uncle Aldwin where he mostly talked about Adelaide, which made the mood a whole lot gloomy but Vera cannot blame him, she had gone off to get another drink, surrendering to the effects of alcohol and giving herself the release she needed relentlessly. She is going to get shit-faced, whether she liked it or not as she downed yet another drink before letting Edmund and Haleth lead her to the dance floor.

As they laughed and talked among one another, Vera enjoys the time she has with the little children before she is being dragged away from the duo by the strong hand of Èmiliya, who is determined to dance with her friend before anyone else could steal her away. The women duo enjoyed their time with one another, finding it far better than trying to dance with the others as they are both rather high. Èmiliya is dangerously close to crashing because of the amount of intake of sugar she had before while Vera is bordering full-on shit-faced. Just like that, the two had the most joyous time with one another, leaving the worries behind as they hopped and laughed, providing quite a show for everyone to watch. 

Soon, though, Èmiliya had been forced to surrender to rest as she fainted in the middle of their dance. Edmund and his brother, Henry, arrived shortly after seeing the little girl faint, offering to bring her to a room to rest as Vera carefully handed her friend off to them, slurring through her words as she warned them not to lose her. They didn't see how but Vera must've been drunk off her ass, leaving her to wander off once more and for the trio to retire to their chambers. Vera had caught sight of Èowyn looking longingly at Aragorn but decided to ignore it as her mind couldn't entirely register it. 

Èowyn turned to her cousin in surprise. "Vera," she said before widening her eyes and holding onto her as Vera threatened to fall over, emitting a laugh from the shieldmaiden, "Woah! Are you drunk? Oh, you certainly have had too much drink. Perhaps you should retire?"

"No!" Vera shrieked loudly, nearly causing Èowyn to let her go as she flinched. "I want to stay!"

"Okay, okay," Èowyn complied before her eyes widened once more as she caught sight of Thèoden approaching them, "but you must remain normal. I wouldn't want uncle finding out that you are quite...tipsy?"

Vera giggled before attempting to compose herself, raising her hand up to her forehead and flicking it in the way that a soldier would to a general, her voice deepening seriously, "Sir, yes, sir!" Èowyn rolled her eyes but before they could say anything else, Thèoden had approached them. Vera smiled at her relative. "King Uncle." Èowyn nudged her, making her correct herself, "King Thèoden, I meant."

The man raised a brow to Vera, who looked away like a child being punished, before turning to Èowyn, deciding not to ask why she was holding onto Vera so tightly but he could guess. "I saw Aragorn a moment ago. I am very happy for you. He is an honorable man. Unlike your cousin, may I add."

Èowyn beamed. "You are both honorable men. Don't let Grimmund hear you say that, uncle, he may be drunk but he certainly isn't without his honor."

Thèoden shook his head, eyeing Vera who began to clap and giggle as she saw Gandalf scrunch his face after downing something disgusting. "I was speaking about her, your other cousin. Though Grimmund truly isn't an honorless man. As is his cousin. After all, it was not Thèoden of Rohan who led our people to victory." Thèoden had said the last claim a little half-heartedly and dazedly but after seeing Èowyn glance at him in concern, and Vera momentarily looking at him blankly, he shook his head again. "Ah. Don't listen to me. You are young and tonight is for you. Look at your cousin, she is surely taking advantage of the limitless barrels, aren't you, dear?"

Vera nodded though she didn't know what he was talking about. "Yes...of course, I will help with taking advantage."

Thèoden and Èowyn shook their heads at the woman and laugh before they bid one another farewell with a wish of enjoying the night before the women walked off to another guest, Vera practically dragging Èowyn to get a drink. Meanwhile, soon after Èomer took a tranced Èowyn from an equally drunk Vera, she had wandered off once more, returning from a short dance with Aragorn and Gandalf before trying to find Legolas, noting that she hasn't danced with him since. And she definitely wanted to dance with her elf. So, she embarked on the journey of trying to find her best friend and her beloved, and luck seemed to be on her side as she swiftly spotted him staring at his fingers in confusion. The woman grinned before bouncing off toward him, passing Èomer once more as she approached the situation.

Before Vera can release a word from her mouth, Gimli had mumbled something about handling liquor before he proceeded to fall back and render unconscious. She giggles once more, clapping her hands slightly before letting Èomer lead her towards the triumphant and arrogant elf that she loved. He did need that win, considering he lost to his beloved earlier that morning. Speaking of beloveds, his just so happened to land next to him, slithering her hands to link with his as he turns to her with a raised eyebrow. She grinned at him before leaning forward to whisper in his ear through her drunken mind. "I'd like to dance with the elf I want to spend the rest of my life with, please."

And with a matching grin, Legolas obeyed, letting her steal him away from the others as they entered the floor and danced closely with one another, enjoying the presence of being with each other as they silently danced. They were in a comfortable silence and Vera felt herself sigh blissfully as she leans her head on his chest. Legolas's hands have connected with Vera's, lifting it up as they swayed while his other wrapped around her waist. She felt something bloom inside her, reminding her of the matter at hand concerning their faer. "Legolas," she says quietly calling his name out as he hums in response. "Did you...did you heal me?"

The way that Vera said 'heal' made Legolas stop breathing for a moment. 

"Y—yeah, I did," Legolas quietly replied. "Why?"

"W—well...I just— I don't know. I supposed that the first time our spirits were to intertwine would be during...something...special," Vera mumbled, her cheeks flaming at the last sentence as she ducks her head. Legolas' chest rumbles as he chuckled amusedly. "You know..."

"Don't worry about it, Vera...I will have to cut the bond between us after some time. Healer's bonds aren't meant to remain so prolonged and I only had to connect because of...your time at the Healing Halls," Legolas told her before letting silence remain. "You really did scare me. You scared us all. We thought you wouldn't be coming back."

Vera was quick to reassure him, "but I am. I am here and I am not going anywhere. I will never do that to you again, I promise." 

Legolas smiled. "Good because I don't know what I would have done without you. And we will be able to connect our spirits...I am sure." Vera didn't understand half his sentence as her drunk spell came back, making her hum in response. Legolas peered down at her. "Are you drunk?"

Vera opened her eyes and stopped swaying, freezing as she felt like a child once more. "...No."

"Vera..."

"A little," Vera admitted. 

"Vera!" Legolas scolded gently but couldn't contain his laugh as she sounded so innocent.

"It was only a little sip, that's it," Vera defended.

"Well," Legolas chuckled, "as long as you don't leave my sight. Wouldn't want your brother to kill me if I'll be spending the rest of my life with you. Though, you should sober up."

Vera groaned. "Just let me stay like this for a while." Legolas didn't want to but agreed, knowing that she'll need it. 

Vera turns her head, still laying it on his chest as her eyes caught Merry and Pippin dancing but her eyes narrow as she sees Pippin looking at Gandalf strangely before Merry brings his attention back. She feels something unsettling in her chest and is suddenly sobered up as she realizes that her happiness is going to be short-lived. With that thought, she turned to stare up at Legolas before leaning forward to kiss him.

Pulling away, she murmurs, "I love you."

Legolas smiled. "And I love you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8K 1.3K 23
Old summary: Sauron tries to summon another wizard from another dimension, to help him win but instead he summons a fangirl who gets turned into an E...
75.6K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...
17.9K 658 31
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second or third book then I would recommen...
87K 2.7K 33
Y/n Blackblade. A name given to her because of the powerful sword she carries around, is one of the closest and most loyal friends of the infamous Ca...