Rags to Riches

By FictionalCasualtiez

Teagan Carter was going to wait it out until Oliver Bartholomew, one of the richest men in America, stopped s... More

Part One: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Billion Dollar Dance
Chapter 3: Take Cover
Chapter 4: The Montage
Chapter 5: Do We Have A Deal?
Chapter 6: The Tale of Erin and Oliver
Chapter 7: Dessert Asile
Chapter 8: Catch Me If You Can
Chapter 9: The Insider
Chapter 10: The One and Only
Part Two: Chapter 11
Chapter 13: The Ball
Chapter 14: Unlimited Bank Account
Chapter 15: Make Good Decisions
Chapter 16: Dress To Impress
Chapter 17: The Asylum
Chapter 18: Beacon of Hope
Chapter 19: Hypocrites
Chapter 20: Let It Go
Chapter 21: You're Grounded
Chapter 22: Financially Unattractive
Chapter 23: Final Finale
Chapter 24: Handling The Truth
Chapter 25: He Bites The Dust
Part Three: Chapter 26
Chapter 27: Mr. Tall Mysterious and Handsome
Chapter 28: Spring Break
Chapter 29: Focus
Chapter 30: Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 31: Brotherly Love
Chapter 32: The Price To Pay
Chapter 33: Peace Treaty
Chapter 34: Kidnapped
Chapter 35: Don't Forget
Epilogue
Author's Note (New Updates)
Interesting Info (updated)

Chapter 12: Dream Team

9.3K 403 88
By FictionalCasualtiez

"There is a big fundraiser next wednesday Oliver can't stop talking about." Theo tells us as we sit at a small table in the coffee shop. "I know about it because it's been planned for months and he's looking forward to it."

"Yeah, I know what that is. But one tiny problem," Julia says and sips her cold drink. "Gavin said he wasn't able to go to it because him and my mom would still be in Peru."

Theo just gives her an annoyed look. "Then call them back up and say you are going."

"I need a date, moron. I can't just go by myself." Julia snaps. "Gavin would never let that happen in the first place. It would ruin his image."

"I already have that handled." Theo waves off. "I'll be your date. It won't even look that suspicious. Perfect plan."

I watch them battle it out, sitting here helpless. Now that Julia has joined our little team, Theo didn't really need me anymore. Erin and I were on weird grounds and she was hanging out with Julia more than she was hanging out with me lately. It would probably be easier on both of them if I just left. It would sure be easier on me.

I stand up and pull on my sweatshirt.

Theo stops talking and looks up at me. "Where are you going, princess?"

I sigh and pull my bag over my shoulder. "I think I'm just going to go home. I'm not really needed anymore." I don't say it with self pity or bitterness. It's just the truth.

Theo frowns and stands up with me. "What are you talking about? Of course I need you."

Something about the way he said that made me intrigued. "For what, Theo? It's not like Erin and I are close anymore. Julia is probably closer with her than I am."

Theo continues to frown. "How else would we have an escape plan if we ever needed one? Who is even going to be the one to come up with the plans in the first place?"

I pat his chest. "You're smart enough, you'll figure it out."

Theo is still frowning down at me and I had no idea why. I honestly thought he would be happy to get rid of me, it's not like I'm the nicest to him.

"Bye Theo, see you around... Well actually, probably not." I say and walk around him and out the door.

Just as I'm walking toward the school, where my car is parked, it dawned on me why what he said sounded strange. He didn't say we need you.

He said I need you.

***

I did something shocking that night. I actually studied for calculous. I was re-taking that test tomorrow, so I was glad I actually studied this time.

I slipped on my tank and sleeping shorts just as I heard something small smack my window. At first I assumed something fell from a tree and hit my window, possibly a branch. That was the reasonable thing to think of. The conclusion I didn't come to, after the third time, was that someone was actually throwing something purposely at my window.

"What the hell.." I mutter to myself as I open the window and look around. That's when a pebble hit my forehead. Then I assumed it was Alec's attempt at being romantic.

"Ouch," I rub my forehead and look down to see who it was. I was expecting Alec, but who I actually sad had me practically almost falling out my window. "Theo," I say with pure shock.

"Shh!" He says with a grin. "You'll wake up your parents, my love!"

"Shut up!" I whisper back quietly, but loudly enough for him to hear. "This isn't funny!"

"Is this not how teenagers communicate?" Theo asks and I run a hand through my hair in frustration. "Theo, you are four years older than me. Stop acting like you're a mature adult who doesn't understand adolescence."

"It's more fun that way though." He says with a smile.

"What are you doing here? It's one in the morning. Do you really have nothing else better to do? Are you really this bored?"

"No." Theo says. "I have plenty of things I could be doing. But. I wanted to show you something."

I give him an annoyed look. "Is this another one of your midnight snack runs? Because after last time I'm really not in the mood."

"Jeez, most girls would love to have a man as attractive as myself throwing rocks at their windows." He says.

I shake my head, but I can't help but laugh. "There is something seriously wrong with you."

"Which is exactly the reason you should come with me. I have proof why you are liable to my dream team."

"Theo, we were business partners." I sigh. "Why do you care so much that I continue to help you bust your brother?"

"We are business partners, correct. But I find you like kind of... A friend."

I raise an eyebrow. "A friend? Theo, what is your perception of friendship exactly? Do you not have any friends?"

His smile dropped away and I suddenly felt bad. I met the last part as a joke. "Actually no." Theo says shortly. "I don't have any friends."

"So you want me to come with you? In my pajamas. At one in the morning so you can show me something?" I ask with an exasperated sigh.

Theo grins again. "Correct. Now hurry up I'm not getting any younger."

"Ha. Ha." I say sarcastically with a smile before shutting my window and grabbing my sweatshirt.

I slip on my converse and sneak out the door without my parents noticing. Theo is already in the car waiting for me, so I just hop into the passenger side of his sports car.

"Nice car." I comment and quickly switch on my seat warmer.

"I didn't think you would actually come out here in your pajamas." Theo says and I look over to see he's staring at my legs. What is it with boys and my legs? Jeez, everyone has them.

"Theo! Where exactly are we going?" I snap him out of his staring and he looks back up at me with a smirk. "You'll know it when you see it."

I cross my arms and look out the window as he drives.

"So you really have no friends?" I ask, still unable to process that. He's a young, rich, successful man. How could he not have any friends?

"I used to have friends. After a while though, you start to see they only hang around you for your money. There is no point in befriending people on the same boat as I am either. That's not friendship, that's keeping your enemies closer."

I frown. "So you're absolutely positive they only liked you for your money?"

"I'm absolutely positive." Theo says in a tight voice, indicating I should probably drop the subject.

After a few minutes of silence, Theo pulls into a very familiar food store.

"Theo what the hell are you doing?" I say as he parks his car.

"We are going to go for another food run."

"You said we weren't!" I argue and Theo shrugs.

"I said no such thing. You said you weren't in the mood."

"Whatever, but can we at least go to a different food store? Are you crazy?" At this point, I was afraid of his answer.

Theo gets out of the car and saunters over toward the entrance.

I groan loudly and jump out of the car and rush over to him. "Theo, what are you doing? What are you trying to prove?"

He holds up his hand. "Shh." he continues to walk toward the sliding door we nearly escaped through the other night.

"Theo, this is stupid. We are going to get in trouble, who knows if that guy is working tonight?"

"Oh he is." Theo says matter a fact.

I stop asking questions because I know he isn't answering any of them and follow him inside. Theo looks around the food store and I'm afraid of who he was looking for.

"Sir!" Theo suddenly says and walks up to an older man placing food items on a shelf.

Oh god, that's the same clerk from Friday morning.

"Excuse me, sir." Theo says and the clerk turns around.

"Can I help-" the clerk begins to say but his eyes go wide. "YOU TWO-"

"Shh! Sir, I know you are probably very upset about the events that happened Friday morning." Theo says. "But that is why my friend and I are here tonight. My friend is going to explain the reason for what we did and why it was a misunderstanding."

"Uh, I am?" I look over at him and Theo nods. "Yes. You are. Go on, tell the nice man what happened. Surely he won't report us after he hears our story."

What was Theo doing? How is this proving a point? Did he only need me here tonight to save his own skin? Well technically, it would be saving both our skins. And the tone in his voice suggests I need to lie.

"You see," I say and clasp my hands together. "My friend was just finished with a ball, but his car broke down in a bad neighborhood. So he called me and I went to come pick him up. It turns out he was really drunk. Like completely wasted." I hug myself, a little cold from the chilly air of the food store. "I stopped here to get some Aspirin to help him with his horrible headache. He came in with me for some reason, I don't question a drunk person." I was stalling, trying to come up with a good enough lie so he would believe me. "He heard his brother come in," I continue. "If his brother caught him drunk, he would tell their father and my friend over here, would have gotten grounded for like, ever." I add the last part in a little ditzy voice. "So while we were keeping an eye on his brother, you came to ask us if we needed any help, if you recall. I was startled and as you remember we fell. His brother knew we were there so the only other option was to run. That's exactly what we did and we tried to be as discreet as possible. I am sorry for any, uh," I look around the empty food store. "disturbances it may have caused the other costumers. But you see, we are only teenagers. We were just trying not to get caught. We didn't mean any harm."

That was the worst lie I could have ever come up with. So when I saw sympathy in the clerk's eyes I was a little surprised.

"Ah, I see. I was a teenager once." He looks at something behind us. "I can see how not getting caught can be a big deal." He looks back at us. "It was very mature of you two to come clean about all of that to me. I wasn't going to report you or anything, but I'm glad you had the decency to apologize. You two are good kids. But you should head home, it's late."

I nod and smile at him. "Thank you so much, have a good night Sir." I say and the store clerk smiles genuinely then winks. "You two kids don't have too much fun tonight. You make a cute couple."

My cheeks flare up. "Oh, uh, we aren't-"

"I'll try," Theo throws an arm around me and pulls me to his side. "But she can get demanding. Isn't that right, princess?" He looks down at me and I'm at a loss for words. If he calls me princess one more time...

The man laughs. "Have a good night, you two." He says and Theo nods before steering me away.

Once we are outside of the store and in the empty parking lot I push him off. "What the hell was that?" I ask.

"I was trying to play along." Theo rolls his eyes. "You're the one who made up the lie about-"

"Not that." I glare at him. "Why did you have me make up such a ridiculous lie? The better question is..." I trail off, not talking to him anymore. "why did he even believe it?"

"You just proved my entire point tonight, Teagan." Theo says and walks up to me so we are standing very close. "That may have been a horrible lie, but you knew how to tell it. The way you talk? Hell, I almost believed it. You are a wonderful actress, let me just say. Not only that, that lie may have been a little off your game, but you still thought of it spur the moment. We need you Teagan." Theo says. "This whole operation? It will fall into pieces without the brains. The brains is the most important part of a dream team. Do you get what I'm saying?"

I nod and just look at him.

I need you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 105 35
No copying! I have full credit to this story, all rights reserved! Please, don't copy and paste this. It's okay if you use some stuff, everyone does...
539 15 5
Successful attorney, Steven Carter, is not looking for love; he already has it with his doctor-boyfriend. Coming out of the closet to his family is s...
126K 3.6K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
491K 8.1K 26
Athena can't have him. He's her brother's best friend who has a tainted past. She hasn't seen him in over four years all because of a drama that she...