SHE-WOLF | BJORN IRONSIDE

By arios2004

In which Ylva Sigefridsdottir, also known as Ylva the Dread, had been an earl since she was a young girl, des... More

SHE WOLF
PROLOGUE
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29

5

11.2K 330 36
By arios2004

SHE WOLF
— 5. Family and Duty

In Kattegat, outside near the water, Ylva was standing with Lagertha, King Horik, and his son Erlendur while Bjorn stood nearby. "We must prepare to go to Wessex," King Horik spoke up in a calm tone as he glanced between Ylva and Lagertha, "Obviously, we must leave soon."

"I have to return to my territories. I have to prepare my ships," Lagertha informed the group in a calm tone and Ylva nodded, "It will take some time."

"I do as well," She replied, agreeing with the woman.

"How much time?" Horik asked Ylva, looking directly at her.

"Just enough time," Bjorn spoke up, causing Horik to turn to look at the boy while Ylva exchanged a smile with Bjorn, "No more, no less, King Horik."

"Your father has a new child!" A servant woman announced as she walked over to the group.

"A son?" Bjorn asked in concern as he and Ylva walked closer to the girl.

"Yes," She answered, causing even Ylva to smile.

"I must congratulate your father," Horik spoke up as he walked closer to them, "It is never a bad day to have a son. The Gods cannot stop offering him their blessings."

"I, too, am happy for Earl Ragnar," Erlendur told Bjorn before walking in the same direction as his father and the servant girl who had first given them the news.

Once they were gone, Bjorn and Ylva turned to each other, both of them smiling. Ylva playfully nudged him and Bjorn wrapped his arm around her. They were on the verge of walking away together when Lagertha spoke up. "And when did this happen?" She suddenly asked, realizing the duo was together.

They both stopped and turned to Lagertha, smiling slightly. "Not too long ago," Bjorn confessed, grabbing ahold of Ylva's hand, "But I am in love with her."

Since Bjorn had never admitted that, Ylva turned to Bjorn, her eyes widening in shock. Her lips parted, surprised by his words.

Lagertha smiled, glancing between the duo. "Well, I couldn't be happier that my son found someone like you to be with."

____

That afternoon, on the shores of the beach at Kattegat, Ylva stood with Bjorn, who was shirtless. They both carried shields while Bjorn carried an ax while Ylva held a sword as they fought against each other.

"Don't die stupidly," She told him as she swung at him with her sword.

"I'm not going to die," Bjorn argued and swung his ax at her, but Ylva was quick to duck.

Ylva spun and lunged her blade in his direction, but Bjorn quickly blocked her with his shield.

Bjorn swung and she stepped out of the way before shoving him. He stumbled but was quick to regain balance. "Yes, you are!" Ylva shouted at him in a stern tone, "If you keep fighting the way you are right now."

The duo walked around each other and Bjorn yelled out, swing his ax at Ylva. She quickly lifted her shield, causing his ax to hit her shield instead.

Bjorn continued to swing at Ylva, but she continued to avoid him and counter attacks as if it were the easiest thing to do in the world. "By the Gods, I cannot understand how you manage to be so strong, even while being so much shorter than me!" He complained, quick duck out of the way when her sword came in his direction.

"I am small, which means I am fast," She told him as Bjorn went to lunge at her. She stepped out of the way and tripped him, causing him to fall straight into the water.

She moved toward him and lifted her sword, causing Bjorn's eyes to widen. She drove it downwards and Bjorn flinched, only to watch as it embedded itself in the sand right next to his head.

He shivered from how cold the water was and Ylva sighed, tossing her shield down. She extended her hand out, offering to help Bjorn up. "You must show no mercy. That is how I survived so long," She informed him and instead of grabbing her hand to stand up, he pulled her down with him.

She laughed, finding herself straddling him as Bjorn smiled and placed his hands on her thighs. "What are you doing?" She asked, playfully rolling her eyes as Bjorn sat up with her still in his lap.

"It's always duty and sparring when it comes to spending time with you," He informed her as he began to kiss her neck, "Let us do something else for a change."

Ylva sighed softly and closed her eyes. She let out a shaky breath as he continued to kiss down her neck. However, her eyes shot open the moment she felt Bjorn dip his hand into her pants.

Without thinking, she slapped him and stood up, causing Bjorn to yelp in pain as he placed a hand on his aching cheek. "Ow! What was that for!"

"You put your hand in my pants," She snapped at him as she gave him a look of disbelief, "You should ask before doing such a thing."

"I thought you would want to!" He complained, only to notice the look on her face, which caused him to come to the realization of what was going on, "You've never been with a man before, have you?"

Ylva remained silent, looking down at the ground as she shook her head. "As you've said, duty has always come first for me. I never..." She trailed off as she sighed deeply, "I never even kissed a man before you."

Bjorn stood up and moved closer to Ylva with a surprised expression on his face. "You never told me that," He told her and Ylva sighed in defeat.

"I'm sorry," She told him and Bjorn smiled, shaking his head.

"Why are saying sorry? It's fine," He assured her as he grabbed ahold of her hand, "We'll take it slow, if that is what you want."

Ylva smiled slightly and nodded her head. Bjorn wrapped his arms and pulled her closer to him, hugging her as he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

____

With a group of the men and shieldmaidens she had brought with her to Kattegat, Ylva walked toward the horses that she would ride back home.

"Don't be too long," Horik spoke up as he walked closer to Ylva, who immediately turned to him, "I need you and Lagertha. If the four of us are equals, we need each other. But one cannot be more equal than the other."

"You mean Ragnar, don't you?" Ylva questioned, raising a brow at the man.

"The three of us are at least his equal, and Ragnar must come to understand this," He reminded her and Ylva nodded in agreement.

"Ylva!" A voice called out, causing Ylva to smile as she turned to see Bjorn making his way over to her.

He stopped when he was standing in front of her. He cupped her face in his hands and smiled down at her. "Come back to me in one piece, alright?"

"I'll try my best," Ylva teased him, causing Bjorn to smile before he kissed her goodbye.

___

Ylva rode through the woods with her men and soon enough, she arrived at Ashton. She rode through the city and people cheered happily for her return.

She walked into the Great Hall, where the people cheered and applauded for her. Sihtric greeted her as she walked in, wasting no time hugging her.

"Welcome back, little sister," He told her with a smile on his face, "We've all missed your presence."

"I'm glad to hear that," Ylva replied, smiling back at her brother as she took a seat on her throne, "But you will have to do without my presence for a bit longer. I am to raid the English Kingdom of Wessex with King Horik, Earl Ingstad, and Earl Ragnar."

Hearing the news, the men shouted in excitement, as did Sihtric. Ylva smiled, standing up before she moved closer to Sihtric, "I would like my ships to be ready by the next full moon and all my warriors to be armed and prepared," She explained and Sihtric wasted no time nodding in agreement.

___

That evening, Ylva was sitting in her bath in her room. Sihtric sat across the room, tossing a ball in his hand. "I would like to come with you," He told his sister, who turned to look at him.

"But then who would I leave in charge?" Ylva questioned, turning to him as she raised a brow, "I trust no one else."

"What about Tormund?" Sihtric suggested and Ylva sighed when she noticed the persistent look on his face.

"Fine," She replied, hesitantly nodding her head. There was a moment of silence and Ylva turned, only to groan when she noticed the look on her brother's face, "There's something you're keeping from me. What is it?"

"We have a problem and you're not going to like it," He informed her, causing Ylva to give him a concerned look.

____

After dressing, Sihtric led her to a barn in Ashton. They walked in and immediately after entering, Ylva's eyes widened at the sight of a young girl in chains. "Who is she?"

"Erik's bastard daughter," Sihtric replied, causing Ylva to turn to her brother with wide eyes.

"No, no, it can't be," She argued, shaking her head in disapproval.

"It is," Sihtric argued back as he moved closer to Ylva, "Born from a slave girl here in the city. She died from the plague a month ago. He kept her hidden from us."

Ylva turned to glance at the young girl, who was glaring at them. "How many secrets did he have?" She asked in a whisper as she tried to contain her uneasiness.

"She's nine, Ylva," Sihtric replied, a serious look on his face, "And she has nowhere to go. I thought—"

"You thought what?" Ylva asked her brother coldly as she let out a large scoff.

"That you'd take her in," Sihtric answered as if it were obvious.

"And why would I do that?" She asked him, letting out a large scoff.

"She's family, Ylva. Our niece. We must take her in," Sihtric demanded in a stern tone.

"I killed her father," Ylva growled lowly as she moved closer to him.

"She is family," Sihtric asked back as he glared at Ylva, "It is our duty to take her in. Or does family mean nothing to you anymore?"

Ylva's face fell and she glared at Sihtric, knowing he had said that on purpose. "Fine," She replied and Sihtric smiled slightly in relief.

He walked to unchain the girl, only to have Ylva grab him by the arm. "No, I'll do it. Leave me with her," She insisted and Sihtric turned to her, a hesitant look on his face, "I wish to speak to her alone."

He sighed in defeat. He turned to face her, nodding her head before he hesitantly left.

Once he was gone, Ylva took a deep breath, just before she walked over to the girl who happened to be her niece. She knelt in front of her and began to unchain her. As she did so, the girl hatefully glared at her.

"What is your name?" She asked the girl, who remained silent and didn't answer, "I said—"

"I heard you the first time," The girl snapped at Ylva coldly as she glared at her, "It doesn't mean I'm going to answer you."

Hearing the girl's words, Ylva loudly scoffed. "Why am I not surprised? My brother fathered a brat."

"I am no brat," She replied as she continued to glare at Ylva.

"From the looks of it, you are," Ylva retorted with an attitude, "But what can I expect from the daughter of Erik?"

"At least my father cared about me," The girl commented and Ylva smiled slightly, unfazed by her comment.

"I doubt it. Your father cared about no one but himself," Ylva informed the girl, who immediately looked offended.

"You can't say shit about my dad—" The girl began to shout at Ylva, who was quick to cut her off.

"I can—!"

"You can't!" She screamed at Ylva, causing the latter to groan loudly in frustration.

"Why must you be so loud and annoying?!" She asked the girl in annoyance.

"I will kill you!" The young girl growled as she lunged for Ylva, despite being chained up.

"I will kill you!" Ylva argued back as she pointed a finger at her.

"You will die!"

"What will make you stop shouting?" Ylva practically cried out, deeply aggravated.

"Food," She suddenly answered, much to Ylva's shock.

"What?" She asked her, a deeply confused look on her face.

"Food. I'm hungry," She told Ylva in a calm tone, causing Ylva to give her a puzzled look.

"And people ask me why I don't want kids," Ylva muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes and unchained the girl, "You're all insufferable."

____

That evening, Ylva sat with her niece at a table. She learned that the girl's name was Freya, like the Goddess. She expected nothing less from the daughter of her oldest brother. Freya sat in front of her, practically shoving the food placed in front of her down her throat as if she had never eaten before.

"Was my father a bad person?" Freya asked Ylva, who rolled her eyes and nodded.

"Yes, he was the worst," She answered without a care in the world, seeing no point in lying to the girl.

"Is that why you killed him?"

"He didn't much like the idea of having to bow down to his younger sister," Ylva replied in a calm tone, "Who was your mother?"

"A slave he raped. I only saw him every few months," She informed Ylva as she turned to her with a curious look on her face, "Are you going to kill me?"

"No, why would I kill you?" Ylva frowned and gave Freya a weird look.

"I'm the daughter of the brother you killed," Freya answered as if it obvious.

"Yes, but you're a child. I would never kill a child," Ylva informed her as she frowned in concern.

"Even if I was a threat?" Freya questioned as she raised a brow at Ylva.

"Is that your way of saying you're a threat?" Ylva leaned closer to Freya with a suspicious look on her face.

"I haven't figured that out yet," Freya admitted as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Why's that?"

Freya turned to Ylva, smiling slightly. "It depends on how you treat me."

"You think you'd be able to kill me?" Ylva asked the girl as she scoffed loudly.

"Maybe," Freya replied, a mischievous look on her face, "You have no idea what I'm capable of."

"The fact that you had to say that just proves you don't have what it takes," Ylva rolled her eyes, only to watch as Freya stood up with a determined look on her face.

"I'll prove it," Freya answered as she turned to Ylva.

"Will you now?" Ylva smirked, leaning forward in her seat.

Freya nodded, smiling as she wore a confident expression.

Ylva smiled slightly, turning to address some guards. "Get us some staffs."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.5K 308 29
Freya Ironside grows up in the family of Ragnar Lothbrok. Her father is Bjorn Ironside and from an early age he keeps her hidden and protects her and...
200K 4.2K 46
"ѕнe waѕ тнe ғιre тнaт ĸepт тнe world вυrnιng." She was a girl, outcast by her home in England and imprisoned for her crimes. That is until Earl Ings...
24.7K 550 12
Ivar/OC **I own only the storyline && OCs**
303K 7.1K 47
Halfrid was different, maybe that's why she got along with Ivar The Boneless. She couldn't feel fear, making her family having to protect her from ha...