Fantasy/Fairy Lore

By NydiaSRobles

All stories that have to do with fantasy or fairies will be posted here. More

A Rescue of Magical Proportions.
My Fantastical Dream - sort of... not really.

Careful What You Wish For...

23 0 0
By NydiaSRobles

 Cast of Characters: 

Dark Queen of the Fairies, Lady Luck: Luck is ageless and mischievous. In addition to this, she has red eyes, long black hair that’s usually tied back for the most part, but lets loose her bangs in front of her left red eye, Fair skin, slender, and a height of 5’3. Has an enchanting voice to cast spells. Can shrink in size or grow to human size at will. Has glitter glow emanating from skin in the night. 

Alaina Osmond: Her physical characteristics include green eyes, brown hair, 4’9 in height, white skin, 21 years old and still unmarried. 

Alan Osmond: Step-brother to Alaina. He’s 6’4 in height, athletic, and intelligent. Alan is 18 years old. 

Lord Bourne Osmond: He owns the family business, and is the head of the Osmond family, he is Alaina’s father. 5’4 in height, 42 years old. 

Melody Wright: Friend to Alaina and Alan but she lives somewhat in poverty. She is 25 years old, Black hair, brown eyes, fair complexion. She is married and has 2 kids. 

Brandon: Friend to Alaina 

Beth: Friend of the Osmonds, wife to Brandon. 

Jones Mcguire: 20 years old, handsome, lives in poverty, a thief. 

Christopher Mahoon: 22 years old. 

Jenny Mcquire: 21 years old in all scenes except Act 5, last scene. She is Jones’s wife. 

Fairies: The faithful minions and partners in mischief with Lady Luck. They are dressed fancifully, with pixie-like appearances and with a glitter glow that emanates from their skin at night. Also, like lady luck, they can change their size at will. 

Setting: 

Time: 1601 A.D. Place: London Countryside, Great Britain. 3 

ACT 1, SCENE 1: AT A FORMAL CHRISTMAS PARTY AT THE OSMONDS 

MANSION, SEATED AT A TABLE. 

BRANDON:Alaina, at least consider his offer. Think of how this arrangement could be benefit you as well as your family! 

ALAINA:Ha! Are you hearing yourself? Arrangement, you say! A marriage proposal is hardly ever as simple as that! Marriage is a matter of love, and I do not love the man. 

BETH:But there are many admirable traits about him! I really can’t comprehend why your dislike for him is so great. Why, what more could a woman ask for than for a husband to be a complete gentleman and for his love to be pure? He reminds me much of Brandon when I first met him. 

BRANDON: You flatter me, Beth! But when you say ‘when I first met him’, do you mean that I am not a gentleman to you even now as I speak? 

BETH: Oh heavens no, Brandon. You misunderstand! I mean that you are that in the present as well. 

Brandon: Ah, but of course. Speaking of which, here he comes now. Alaina, do try to be civil around him. I believe he has genuine interest in you. 

ALAINA: His interest in me won’t be reciprocated. He should run off with his tail between his legs like a mongrel from the streets before I beat him off with a stick. 

BRANDON: How very cruel you are! Keep up that attitude and no one will even come close to you. Very well, it’s getting late and time for us to go. Beth, I’ll be waiting for you outside in the carriage. Alaina, please give my regards to your brother when he returns. (Puts on coat and leaves)

BETH:Oh Alaina, you’re quite impossible. 

ALAINA:Whose side are you on, Beth? 

BETH:On yours, of course! Do you doubt me? I’m only thinking of your well being… but Brandon’s right, it’s your choice to make. 

CHRISTOPHER:Alaina, my sweet! (APPROACHES HER AND TAKES A BOW) 

BETH:Farewell Alaina, until we meet again. Think about what we’ve told you. (EMBRACES ALAINA AND THEN LEAVES.) 

CHRISTOPHER:Dear lady, as elegant as roses seem, they pale and dwindle in comparison to your beauty. (TAKES HER HAND TO KISS IT) 

ALAINA:You don’t seem to take a hint. Wasn’t it enough that I threw the ring you offered me into the lake? (SNATCHES HER HAND BACK FROM HIM) 

CHRISTOPHER:Your curt responses cut my heart in two, but my love for you mends it whole again. 

ALAINA: And you sir, disgust me with this unrelenting devotion of yours. 

CHRISTOPHER:Alas, you slay me with your words. 

ALAINA:And so you should consider your love slain, for if you give it to me I’ll slay it once more. 

CHRISTOPHER:What have I done to make you so bitter? 

ALAINA:Tis’ nothing you’ve done, and it’s not your concern. 

BOURNE: 5 

You bitter girl, does the sun not yet shine upon you? 

ALAN:The moon has even yet to rise, for I see no light in her. 

ALAINA:Alan, how pleasant that you’ve arrived! Had you arrived here a moment ago, Brandon would have greeted you. He’s sent you his regards. 

ALAN: As I send him mine, for I’ll be returning to the battlefield once more. The French are advancing and they have called me into battle. 

ALAINA:Surely you jest! You’ve only narrowly escaped death. They could not expect you to return. 

CHRISTOPHER: Alaina, I’ll lend you my shoulder if you need to cry. 

ALAINA:Why would I cry? Only a fool would cry. Tears solve nothing. 

BOURNE: Parliament has given him the title of general. This is an honor for our family. 

ALAINA:Honor means nothing in death! How foolish the both of you are! 

MORKT: You’re a woman. You wouldn’t understand. 

ALAINA: Hmph! Of course, you would approve of this, father. Only a complete brute would allow his only wounded son back to war. 

BOURNE:Enough. I won’t stand for this insolence! What arrogant words come from your mouth! An eyesore, that’s what you are. 

ALAN:Alaina, you’ve said too much. 

ALAINA:No, Alan. In fact, I’ve think I’ve said more than enough. (LETS HER TEA CUP DROP AND SHATTER, LEAVES THE ROOM)  

ACT 2, SCENE 1 OUTSIDE OF MANSION, ALAINA IS IN THE EMERALD FOREST, A SUPPOSEDLY FOREST OF MAGICAL CREATURES 

ALAINA:What folly this life of mine leads… to be born a woman should consider me cursed enough, but to think that wealth imprisons me further-! What choice have I in marriage? None, so it seems, if I am then despised by my family. The one thing I as a woman had control over now also controlled by men’s bigotry! Alas, even that was an illusion, a trick of the mind. 

MELODY: A trick of the mind? Why do you say that? 

ALAINA: Melody, just how long had you been standing there? 

MELODY: Enough to hear your angry mumbling. 

ALAINA: I suppose you think I must be mad for cursing my privileged life… well, if you were in my place, you would feel the same. 

MELODY: I can’t pretend to understand how you feel, but I certainly wouldn’t mind to take your place if you wished it. Wealth wouldn’t mean imprisonment to me. 

ALAINA: I wouldn’t mind to have nothing at all, if I could have the freedom to choose my path in life. 

MELODY: One day, women like us will gather and of one mind protest against men’s power over women. That’s what I am earnestly praying will happen. But for now women in your social standing have the best chance of a better life. You must thank God and count your blessings. 

ALAINA: Count my blessings? Ha! What blessings? This dress? Having servants tend to my every need? No, what I want and what I have are two different things. I can’t stand that my opinion is disregarded just because I’m a woman, and I’m not given a chance to use my social standing to try and gain equality. I want to do more than just live prettily and have children. I’d rather have nothing at all, live in poverty. 

MELODY: I admire your ambition, Alaina. But you cannot wish for such things. You have no idea of the hardships I face. I can only wish to have the things you have, to live the life you live. At the very least you may be able to rise above those expectations and argue your case, while I cannot.

LADY LUCK: I admire her ambition as well, and though her wish is a bit odd, I agree with the spoiled girl. Wealth won’t bring happiness. 

ALAINA: And who would you be? 

MELODY: From where did you appear? 

LADY LUCK: I apologize for my intrusion… I couldn’t help but listen in. You are… unhappy with your life, yes? 

ALAINA: Aren’t we all? 

LADY LUCK: I may have a way to help you… 

ALAINA: How so? 

MELODY: Don’t listen to her, alaina. She looks suspicious. And look at the atrocious way she dresses! With that skirt and short shirt, she may as well be a savage! A well-mannered woman wouldn’t dress this way. 

LADY LUCK: I am but a humble fairy, but lady is my first name. 

ALAINA: A fairy! How amusing. The existences of fairies are only of a mythological kind. 

LADY LUCK: 8 

My appearance here proves I am no myth. Come close and listen carefully, for I have a 

favorable offer to make to you. 

MELODY: She will do no such thing, she cannot trust you. 

ALAINA: How dare you tell me who I can or cannot trust? 

MELODY: I beg you, alaina, do not go! Her words are the words of a witch, this will not end well! 

ALAINA: I appreciate your concern, but it is not needed. If by morning you do not see me well, then you may ring the bell in alarm. 

MELODY: You do as you see fit. I’ll take no part in this! 

ALAINA: Come hither, fairy, tell me your plan. 

LADY LUCK: It requires a bit of magic, and a bit of my luck. You’ll need to swear you won’t turn back to your old life again. 

ALAINA: If I am unhappy with the results, I cannot return to this life again? What witchcraft is this? 

LADY LUCK: The magic can’t be undone, for this reason you must be sure, that you truly despise, abhor, the life you hold now. Your life will be exchanged with a less fortunate soul. She will have been born into your place, and you into hers. 

ALAINA: Now I truly, clearly, understand. And will she know of the switch beforehand? 

LADY LUCK: No notification, only you and I will know. She will think she is the girl born into the life you now know. Your friends and family, will be hers. The wealth and servants tending to you hand and foot, will be hers. 

ALAINA: I’d give anything to have more freedom. She can have my place, and everything that comes with it. I do believe I’m better off without it. I swear I won’t look back. 9 

LADY LUCK: Very well, then... COME, COME, FAIRIES, LET US DANCE, COME, COME, BRING YOUR MAGIC, HER WISH LET HER HAVE IT. 

FAIRIES: MAY THE RICH BE POOR, THE POOR BE RICH. MAY HAPPINESS COME TO THOSE WHO WISH IT. 

ALAINA:Alas have I stepped into the fairy circle? Was this a snare to trap me? (Says to self) 

FAIRIES: SLEEP, SLEEP, DEAR GIRL CLOSE YOUR EYES, YOUR WISH WILL SOON BE REALIZED, FAIRY QUEEN LUCK SINGS HERE TONIGHT. 

LADY LUCK: UPON THE RISE OF THE SUN YOU SHALL AWAKEN, YOUR NEW LIFE YOU WILL EMBRACE IT. 

ALAINA: My head spins. I feel weak. (Collapses

FAIRIES: Sleep, sleep, fall asleep, your new life awaits you. 

LADY LUCK: Sleep, sleep, you shall be content then. (FAIRY DUST THAT THE FAIRIES SPRINKLE FROM THEIR WINGS SURROUNDS ALAINA AND SHE DISAPPEARS, FAIRIES DISPERSE) Sleep; sleep, yes, that’s right. Thanks to you, we’ll be entertained tonight. In despair you’ll live, you’ll regret what you wished for. But nothing can you do, for what’s wished can’t be undone. (LADY LUCK DISAPPEARS WHEN SHE SNAPS HER FINGERS) 10 

ACT 2, SCENE 2. IN A SHACK IN THE WOODS 

JONES: Alaina, get up. 

ALAINA: (MUMBLES IN SLEEP) 

JONES: Alaina, you lazy woman, get up this instant! 

ALAINA: (SHUFFLES UNDERNEATH THE ROUGH BLANKETS) 

JONES: Alaina- why you…(KICKS HER IN THE STOMACH) 

 ALAINA: (COUGHS AND GASPS IN PAIN) What in blazes… 

JONES: Are you finally up, Alaina? (SPITS ON THE FLOOR) 

ALAINA: What on earth are you doing spitting on the ground like that? Absolutely disgusting! 

JONES: Stop talking nonsense. You’re late for your mornin’ chores. Get up and do em’ before I beat you again. 

ALAINA: Chores? 

JONES: Don’t pretend not to know what I’m talkin’ bout. (TOSSES OLD WOODEN BUCKET WITH RUSTY HANDLE TO HER) 

ALAINA: (PICKS UP THE BUCKET AND STANDS IN PAIN)

JONES: Jenson said he’d be by to see you later. Somethin’ bout offerin’ you a job at the tavern. 

ALAINA:Ha! I’d never participate in such a filthy occupation like that! 

JONES: You will do as yer told. Now, when the man stops by, thank him and take the job. But ye’ better not laze around in the mornin’ again, or I’ll beat ye’ with a stick like a proper mongrel. 

ALAINA:You have no right to speak to me in this manner. (PUTS BUCKET DOWN AND CROSSES ARMS) 

JONES: I’m your husband. I’ll speak to you any way I want to speak to ye’. Now get to workin. I expect food on the table before I come back. (LEAVES, SLAMMING THE DOOR BEHIND HIM) 

LADY LUCK: Well, well, seems you’ve been accommodated nicely into your new life. (IS SITTING ON THE PORCH WHEN ALAINA WALKS OUTSIDE) 

ALAINA: This isn’t what I wanted. 

LADY LUCK: It’s exactly what you wanted… and more. Of course, I suppose the word more isn’t meant in a pleasant way. 

ALAINA: I couldn’t possibly stay here. That man is cruel and abusive. 

LADY LUCK: Oh, but don’t you remember, you have the freedom to leave now, dear ALAINA. No one will care if you run off. 

ALAINA: I suppose you’re right. I’ll start out a life on my own. 

LADY LUCK: Except… no man in their right mind would give a woman like you a chance to earn money modestly… your past lifestyle required you to let others do the work for you so your skills are minimal. 12 

ALAINA: Oh, you fiend! I should have listened to melody! If they won’t hire me, I’ll find a way to earn their respect and earn wages decently. In this day and age, a woman in the lower class can't even consider the possibility.

LADY LUCK: Relax; I didn’t come here to harass you. 

ALAINA: Then, why did you come here? 

LADY LUCK: Oh, only to wish you luck. Why, Dear jenny is going to be married to Christopher today. 

ALAINA: Well, I’m sure she’s living in misery as I was. 

LADY LUCK: No, as a matter of fact, she’s quite content. Jenny and I used to be quite the pair of friends, and I’ve not seen her so content in all the times we spoke. 

ALAINA: Christopher is a bore and a weakling, there’s no way she could be content with him! 

LADY LUCK: Why don’t you go see for yourself and find out? 

ALAINA: As a matter of fact I will! Where exactly am I to begin with? 

LADY LUCK: Deep within the emerald forest. You are currently the wife of an abusive husband who steals for a living. 

ALAINA: Splendid. Just Splendid… I’ll be taking my leave then, and speedily. 

LADY LUCK: Farewell, dear girl. My kingdom calls for me. 

ALAINA: You’re not leaving, are you? After all you caused this mess!LADY LUCK: Why, of course I am. My business here is finished. And I’m not the one who made the wish… It was you. (A SNICKER IS HEARD IN THE WIND AS SHE DISAPPEARS WITH A MISCHIEVOUS LOOK ON HER FACE.) 13 

ACT 3, SCENE 1. 

MARRIAGE OF CHRISTOPHER AND JENNY AT THE MANSION’S GARDEN ACRE. 

ALAINA:I have to find melody… perhaps she can help me find a way out of this. But, if it’s as the fairy told, she’ll hardly remember me if at all. Why, there she is now speaking to a girl in white. Could it be? This… so called jenny? And look at that, they’re conversing casually as if they’ve known each other since childhood! Well, I’ll have none of that; she is my friend and my friend alone! (BEGINS TO APPROACH THEM) 

MELODY:Oh, jenny! How wonderfully blessed you are! You look absolutely stunning in that dress! Christopher will be baffled when he sees you! 

JENNY: I can hardly wait to be married to Chris! He’s so sweet and such a gentleman! 

BETH: Melody, Jenny, how wonderful to see you both again! 

JENNY:Beth, you’re here! Did Brandon come with you? 

BETH: No, no, I’m afraid he’s gone out of town for the week. He sends you and your brother Alan his regards. 

JENNY: How could he be absent on my wedding day? Does he not have a conscience? 

BETH: Parliament was called upon; it was his duty to go. However, he said he’d arrive to congratulate you two later throughout the week. 

ALAINA: Melody, I need to speak with you. (WALKS UP TO THEM) 

MELODY: Do I know you? 

ALAINA: We knew each other once. Just yesterday you spoke with me. But because of that fairy’s magic you don’t remember. 

JENNY: Fairy magic? How absurd! And how did you get in here without an invitation? Neither Christopher nor I know who you are. 

MELODY: I don’t know why, but she does seem familiar, although I don’t think we’ve ever met. What is your name? 

ALAINA: My name is Alaina, we’re best friends, don’t you remember? 

MELODY: I thought I had recognized you! Alaina, the thief’s wife! Didn’t your husband try to rob us last week? How dare you show your face here! When have we ever been friends? 

ALAINA: I understand your confusion, but I beg you, please listen to me! I need your assistance! 

BETH: I heard they caught her husband in a fight at the tavern this morning. He’s going to be hanged for murder; perhaps she has come to plead for his life. 

ALAINA: No, you misunderstand! 

JENNY: No, you misunderstood your position. You don’t belong here, and you’re causing a disturbance of the peace with your shouting. I suggest you leave before the guards come and find you. 

ALAN: Jenny, is something the matter? (WALKS OVER TO THEM AND GLARES AT ALAINA, HIS ARM IS STILL WOUNDED AND IN A SLING) 

JENNY: No brother, nothing’s the matter. This peasant was just on her way out. 15 

ALAINA: (GRITS HER TEETH, ROLLS HER HANDS INTO FISTS) So it’s true, you really don’t remember me. What a mess I’ve made of things. Don’t bother escorting me out the gates, I know my way out. (IS PAST THE MAIN GATE) What a Fool I’ve been about all this! Whether I’m rich or poor it’s the same thing. I’m not respected in any class, and when I’m poor they treat me like some thing rather than even someone. I won’t stand for this; I’ll go to the fairies. Then, I’ll demand they reverse their magic on me. 16 

ACT 3, SCENE 2: AT THE EMERALD FOREST, WHERE SHE FIRST FOUND THE FAIRIES. 

ALAINA: Come out, fairies, I know you’re here! I demand to speak with your leader! 

LADY LUCK: (USING HER WINGS, FLIES DOWN FROM THE TREE) Ah, you’ve returned, I can’t say I’m surprised. I was wondering for how long you would withstand that life… 

ALAINA: I demand you give me my life back! At least then, I was better off. I may have gone through hardships, but I would have overcome them soon enough! 

LADY LUCK: Me thinks you’re jealous that Jenny’s happy with what she has… if you loved that life so much, why wish it was something you never had? 

ALAINA: I was wrong, I didn’t think, I was a fool, and what more could I say? Couldn’t you reverse it, return it to what it was anyway? 

LADY LUCK: I’m afraid I can’t, but I’ll extend to you my condolences…(SMIRKS AND LEANS ONTO THE TREE TRUNK, TILTS HER HEAD.) 

ALAINA: What do you mean you can’t reverse this? 

LADY LUCK: FAIRY FRIENDS, GATHER ROUND, LET US TELL OF A TALE TO THIS GAL, 

FAIRIES: TIS THE LIARS TONGUE THAT DIES, DOTH NOT A SNAKE HISS, AND ON IT’S BELLY IT SLIDES? WHEN THE SNAKE BEARS Its FANGS, AND DEVOURS THE RABBIT, THE HAWK DOTH STRETCH OUT IT’S TALONS. 

ALAINA: What nonsense is this? 

LADY LUCK: Why, tis’ only the circle of life. Have you not heard of it? The snake devours the rabbit, the hawk devours the snake-

ALAINA: What do you intend to say? 

LADY LUCK: Why, that was nothing but madness. Come, come, and sing with us. Smile a little more. 

ALAINA: Enough of your bantering, Will you reverse your magic or not? 

LADY LUCK: Tis’ will be bad luck if we do so! Magic we will able to use no longer… Tis’ something we cannot afford! 

ALAINA: You will reverse this! I demand it! 

FAIRIES: Flee; flee, this human is mad! 

LADY LUCK: Worry not friends, this day will be ours. Tis’ only one way to reverse the spell! You must destroy Jenny, Then time will return to its present station, This will never have happened and we would never have met then. 

ALAINA: But to destroy her, that’s murder! There’s no other way? 

LADY LUCK: You are out of luck, for there is none. 18 

ALAINA: So be it then, it will have to be done. Then, she’ll live again when this mess is undone. (Leaves)  

ACT 3, SCENE 5: IN THE OSMOND MANSION, THE DINING ROOM. 

ALAINA:The poison is set in her cup of wine, and If all goes well-, by God I hope it does. T’was I a fool to give away what I had so hastily. Alas this method doth sicken me, but I will do what I must to reverse things to what once more must be. (SAYS QUIETLY WHILE IN HIDING) 

ALAN: (ENTERS THE DINING ROOM WITH JENNY AND GUESTS, THEY SIT DOWN, ALAN STANDS TO MAKES A TOAST) A toast to my dearest sister Jenny, and my new brother Christopher! I wish them both happiness in married life. Jenny is the sweetest girl anyone could have known… it makes us happy that she and Chris love each other so. 

JENNY: Alan you flatter me, I really am lucky to have a brother so kind. 

CHRISTOPHER: And I a brother have gained as well. 

MELODY: What cheerful smiles surround this room? Not a one in dismay! This means good luck for you, Jenny. And for Chris too, in whom I’ve gained new friendship. You’d better treat her well, or I swear I will harm you. 

BOURNE: Hear, hear, everyone. A toast to Jenny, and to Christopher as well. I hope for many grandchildren one day! 

BETH:(STANDS AND LIFTS GLASS) To Jenny! 

GUESTS: To Chris! (EVERYONE LIFTS THEIR GLASS AND TAKES A SIP)

ALAINA: Splendid… just splendid, everyone’s getting along without me. Well, it is I who’ll have the last laugh. (Mutters to self and watches through the crack of a door to see if Jenny collapses dead) 

JENNY: (Screams as Melody’s head collapses onto the table after drinking the wine, foam spews from her mouth) 

Melody! What’s happened to you? Someone help her! 

ALAN: I’ll go fetch a doctor! 

(Throws on his coat and runs out the dining room, Alaina hides in a closet.) 

GUESTS: (Gasps and murmurs as they stand horrified at the scene before them.) 

CHRISTOPHER: What a scandal, this! Poison, I declare, she’s been poisoned! 

BETH: How can this be! Poison? Why, who would do such a thing? 

BOURNE:Christopher, tell the guards to let no one out. Not until we find the villain out! 

CHRISTOPHER: Understood sir, I’ll tell them quickly! 

GUEST: Villain? How dare you? You think it’s one of us? 

ALAINA: (Speaking to self has left the closet and is peeking inside dining hall.) W-What… what have I done? My friend’s blood… it’s on my hands now? 

BETH: I hear a voice! 

BOURNE: I hear it as well! It comes from the hall!I heard it murmur of blood! 

JENNY: Beast most foul, I’ll catch you swiftly! 

ALAINA: (Runs) 

BOURNE: No, Jenny! I’ll take chase. I’ll not lose you also. (Leaves the dining room and starts searching)

ACT 4, SCENE 1LOCATED IN THE MANSION GARDENS DURING THE NIGHT. WEDDING DECORATIONS AND FLOWER PETALS STILL SHOWER THE GROUND. 

ALAINA: (Makes it outside the mansion in time, is in the mansion gardens, it begins to rain.) I’ll go into hiding, up into the mountains. The mark of shed blood doth stain my soul; will the rain not wash it? … I’ve committed an unforgivable sin, murder, despicable murder! Melody, oh melody, oh how I’ve wrong you! What of your children? What of your family? Why didn’t I listen when you still knew me? Villain, damned fiend, that fairy Luck! Had I misplaced the poison cup? No, tis’ the fault of the fairy witch! My dear friend melody, She more than I deserved to live! (She falls onto her knees and shouts in agony, punching the ground, tears fall from her face.) 

LADY LUCK: (Is sitting up in a tree in the garden, eating the wedding’s leftover fruits, tosses an apple up into the air and tosses it at Alaina’s head, smirking.) My, my… what profane words come from those pretty lips! No, no, dear girl, the fault is thine! 

ALAINA: W-What have I done to have you plot against me? What have I said to make you hate me? Didn’t you say you admired my ambition? Didn’t you say that you would help me! 

LADY LUCK: Ah, this question I may answer quickly! Fairies are dishonest, or didn’t you know this? Tis’ our fun to mess with humans, And T’was your father’s sin,Ruined jenny’s life, Tis’ only revenge received on your part.  

ALAINA: I’m not at fault for whatever you accuse me! You have me mistaken for another lady! 

LADY LUCK: You remember a child of the forest? When you were young, a hatchling even? You stumbled upon a cabin in the woods, Come, come, you must remember… 

ALAINA: I don’t remember what you speak of, Tis’ no matter, though, For you, unspeakable things have done! You switched the cups when they weren’t looking, And now melody is dead for all eternity! 

LADY LUCK: I’ve done what now? You’ve left me baffled! (TILTS HEAD) I only grant wishes, on my magic I swear it. My minions cause mischief, I merely jest and giggle. For this one occasion only, Action have I taken. Your father’s sins, you have repaid, Whatever I told you would break my magic, T’was all a lie, Nothing may change your actions today. 

ALAINA: My father’s sins? For an excuse as that… My friend melody was killed, for something he’d done? Melody was kind, my only friend! Let this feud be between you and him! 

LADY LUCK: So you really don’t remember! Oh, it’s a pity… For your sake, your father sent away Jenny. 

ALAINA: Away? 

LADY LUCK: Yes, away. She was the child his mistress had given birth to. 24 

ALAINA: Essentially, my sister in part… but why does this matter? Why have me suffer when the sinner lives happy? 

LADY LUCK: Because of him, many hardships she faced. Yet he favored you, the child he later defames. Thus, mercy have I administered, I have spared him the dissapointment. 

BOURNE: (GETS CLOSER TO WHERE SHE IS) Come out, damned villain! I know you’re near. Guards surround the garden, so there’s no way out. 

ALAINA: You’ll reverse this now! I swear I’ll end this wrong! I’ll have my father repay Jenny for what he’s done to her! 

LADY LUCK: Why would I do that? When she’s alive and well here now? Don’t you remember? You’re the illegitimate child now. (SPOTS GUARDS) Now’s my cue,I must quickly go,Before I’m seen by another soul. 

ALAINA:Oh no, you won’t! I’ll not let this pass! 

LADY LUCK: I’m afraid you will. There will be no end to your plight… Such is the wish that has turned into curses, As the next day begins, thorns become roses. But for those who have wished it, And wished it poorly, This will not end well, And whom I speak of is you. 25 

ALAINA: (GRABS HOLD OF THE FAIRY’S ANKLE) I’ll not let you get away! Return my friend you insolent swine! 

LADY LUCK: For your own sake, let me go! My bark is not bigger than my bite! 

ALAINA: I’m already cursed, What more can be done? The worst is still yet to come! But if I go down, you go down with me! 

BOURNE: There! I hear the voice from before! 

 (THEY ARE NEARING, FROM BEHIND TALL BUSHES) 

LADY LUCK: Unhand me now! 

ALAINA: Why are you so fearful? 

LADY LUCK: I had nothing to do with your friend’s death! Accept your faults! You made a mistake and will pay the full price! (SHRINKS IN SIZE TO ESCAPE) 

ALAINA: No, don’t go! You fiend, stay with me! 

BOURNE: (SPOTS HER) A woman? Is this to whom my sword will be pointed? 

ALAINA: Please don’t harm me! I surrender! (STANDS) 

BOURNE: Are you the one who placed the poison? You villain, how dare you do that to melody? I’ll kill you before they throw you in prison! 

ALAINA: I beg you, Please forgive me! The poison was not intended, For the victim fallen! 

BOURNE: Art not thou the wife of the man hanged this morning? Whether or not it was intended for her, The fault is thine, and you shall atone for it! 

ALAINA: I will take any punishment, for I deserve it. If only death were fit enough a retaliation! May I burn in hell for what I have done!For I have caused the death of a dear friend. Bind my arms, quickly, before my I lose my reason. Have mercy, do not kill me, But drag me away to your prisons. 

(Gets on knees and holds arms out together, silent tears slide down her face.) 

ACT 5, SCENE 1:In the Osmond’s dungeon 

ALAINA: Water I thirst, but I cannot drink, Food is offered, yet I cannot eat. What is this atrocious feeling that grips my soul… Death is close; I can feel it approaching me. Never had I thought I would end up in the dungeon. Oh that death would come swiftly by the noose and to be hung, Then to be tortured till I scream and my voice unheard. 

ALAN: (ENTERS CELL WITH FOOD AND WATER) Your sentencing will be tomorrow in front of judge and jury. If you do not eat, you won’t have strength for the trial. 

ALAINA: Leave me to die in peace. 

ALAN: At least have something to drink. 

ALAINA: Is this sympathy you’re showing? Ha, how very foolish!Do you not know that my hands are stained with your friend’s blood? Go far from me, leave me be. 

ALAN: It’s not sympathy, but mere pity. But since you’ve requested it,I suppose I’ll leave you. (LEAVES) 

ALAINA:To sleep, yes, that’s it, that’s what I need to be at ease. To sleep, to dream, and perhaps to die! What bliss that would feel like. (CLOSES EYES AND SLEEPS)

ACT 5, SCENE 2: OSMONDS MANSION, ALAINA’S ROOM. A WELL-SPACED ROOM WITH LAVISH FURNITURE. ALAINA IS LAID ASLEEP IN THE BED. 

ALAN: It’s been two days… she’s not yet awakened? 

BOURNE: I worry she may not recover very well. 

BETH:Oh, I hope she’ll be all right. The poor dear looked so frightened! 

ALAINA: (STIRS AWAKE) W-what is all this noise? Can I not even die in peace then? 

BETH: Alaina, thank God you’re all right! (EMBRACES HER) 

ALAN: You frightened us for a minute, We feared you may not return to us after the wounds you suffered from falling down a ledge! 

ALAINA: Alan, Beth! You both remember me? 

ALAN:Why of course we do, why on earth wouldn’t we? 

ALAINA: But… you were keeping me in the dungeon for the murder of melody, I remember, I lived it, and I remember the suffering! 

BOURNE: You hit your head when the carriage drifted downhill, You fell out of it and then fell down a short ledge. 30 

ALAINA: The fairy… dark magic… I remember it clearly!How is it possible that it was all but a nightmare? And melody- where’s melody? Is she still alive? (SITS UP AND FEELS THE BANDAGE AROUND HER FOREHEAD) 

ALAN: Dear sister, your imagination fascinates us. No fairy enchanted you, and yes, of course Melody is alive. You must rest, remain still, and recover. 

ALAINA: No, I must speak to her! And to Christopher- where did that man go, I owe him an apology. 

BOURNE: You’re getting carried away, don’t you think? You’re not well at all, you should be resting. You worry me with your scurrying around, It’s because of it that you were in the condition you were found. 

ALAINA: Father, you underestimate me! Well, I’ll have you know-

BOURNE: You’re right,Sometimes I do,For you are a strong girl. It’s just a father’s worry, And also my plea, Sit down and rest a while, If you please. 

ALAINA: I apologize father, For worrying you so. 

BOURNE: As for the other night,I owe you apology. I forgot you were not only a woman, But my daughter as well. As expected, like your mother, You are headstrong and determined. I shouldn't have treated you so, for you made a valid point. I truly felt that I had treated you too cruelly. 

ALAINA: I don’t know what to say… 

BOURNE: Say nothing, if possible. No response is needed, for I only wanted you to listen. 

BETH: Oh, isn’t this remarkable? Reconciliation, how divine! 

ALAN: Well, everyone, I must take my leave. 

ALAINA: Are you off to war? 

ALAN: I will leave to battle, and swiftly. I’ve stayed here to see if you were going to be well. But now that you’re awake, nothing you say can will stop me now. 

ALAINA: I know. But if there’s one favor I could ask of you… 

ALAN: I’m not staying here-

ALAINA: No, not that. Please, dear brother, do be careful. I won’t forgive you if you don’t return to us. 

ALAN: Is this girl before me really my sister? 

ALAINA: I know how it feels when others want to make your decisions for you.I will respect yours, but you must return safely. 

ALAN: Why of course, I won’t let a blade touch me. I’ll even bring you back souvenirs from the French army. 

ALAINA: Is that so? I’ll be looking forward to it. 

ACT 5, SCENE 3: IN THE EMERALD FOREST, WHERE SHE HAD FOUND THE FAIRIES IN THE FIRST PLACE. ONE WEEK LATER AFTER THE FAIRIES MISCHIEF. THEY RIDE THEIR HORSES INTO THE FOREST. 

ALAINA:This is the location where the fairies appeared. (GETS OFF HER HORSE) 

MELODY: Yet now it remains void of life… how strange? 

ALAINA: I should have listened when you told me not to go with her… 

MELODY: Sometimes I wonder if what you had was really a nightmare. 

ALAINA: Who knows if it was true or not? It doesn’t particularly matter to me. 

MELODY: There is one way to test the theory-That girl whom took your place, wasn’t her name Jenny? 

ALAINA: Yes, she lived in these woods, Or so the nightmare showed. I don’t clearly remember the way, though. 

MELODY: Whatever memory you retained, Let’s try and follow it. I want to put an end to this mystery. 

ALAINA: T’was just along this path, to the left. 33 

A cabin is left there in a shabby mess. 

MELODY: By God, the cabin exists! But it looks abandoned. 

ALAINA: The condition of the cabin wasn’t so bad when I had left it… 

MELODY: Let’s go see if Jenny lives there. (KNOCKS ON THE DOOR, THEN LOOKS THROUGH THE BROKEN WINDOW. COBWEBS AND DUST MAKE HER COUGH) 

ALAINA: The cabin exists, but no one can possibly live here. Alas, as I expected, the spell she put me under was merely mischief. 

MELODY: Neither the fairy nor Jenny appears in the woods. Perhaps it is that the fairy has moved. Jenny must have been a fabrication she created in your mind. What other explanation can we possibly provide? 

ALAINA: It’ll be too soon if I ever see that fairy again! Let us leave this place; I don’t want to be put under spells ever again. Today Christopher and I are going for a walk in the garden, I must hurry or I’ll be late to meet him. 

MELODY: Oh, I swear, you’ve changed so drastically! Didn’t you say before that you despised him? 

ALAINA: I despised my father for making the arrangement. I wanted freedom of choice and I thought he had taken it from me. 

MELODY: And now, you’ve decided to give Christopher a chance? 

ALAINA: Well- yes, I suppose, It won’t hurt to get to know him first. He has been kind to me since the day we met, I owe him that much, but if it does not work, I won’t marry him, at best. 

MELODY: As cold and calculating as ever, aren’t you? In this, you haven’t changed. Of course, I suppose that can be a good thing in some way. 

ALAINA and MELODY: (ALAINA MOUNTS HER HORSE AND THEY BOTH RIDE OUT OF THE FOREST) 

LADY LUCK: (FLIES ALONG OLD JENNY’S SIDE WHILE THEY WALK PAST HER OLD SHACK HOME) What a wonderful day for a walk! Jenny, old gal, join me for a song! 

JENNY: I’d really rather not, luck. I feel rather weak. My old age keeps me from such things. 

LADY LUCK: I’ve missed you for some time, where on earth have you been? Since you married that Lord, I’ve not seen a hair of you since. 

JENNY: (FEEBLE SMILE) I’ve traveled the to foreign places, seen magnificent creatures, and along with my husband, who’s so sweetly taken care of me. I’ve not recalled Jones at all, while I was with him. But he’s died just last month, and I’m now a widow… so I’ve come to visit you in hopes you’d lift my spirits from my sorrows. And what of you, my youth-blessed fairy? What have you been up to while I was traveling? 

LADY LUCK: (GIGGLES AND SMIRKS) Why, nothing, nothing at all. At least, nothing important. I played a few tricks, And my minions and I did a bit of singing. 

JENNY: (RAISES BROW) You naughty, naughty fairy! Are you at it again? Off scaring some poor youth for your own entertainment? 

LADY LUCK: Well, no… I believe I did teach her a lesson. 35 

JENNY: (LAUGHS SKEPTICALLY) And what would that be? 

LADY LUCK: Always, Always, be careful what you wish for. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16 0 4
Changes devour aggressively.
47.8K 954 80
NO ONE IN MY FAMILY READ THIS I might add some Darcy X reader And some Anne X reader ;) *REQUESTS ARE CLOSED*
994 115 30
About a girls life how everything changed for the worse.
276K 5K 65
The tittle is pretty explanatory itself ;)