Zain's choice ✔️

By Zeeemibs

Zain only wants the best of everything. So when his mom forces him to take Mira to wife, he refuses to even g... More

Preface
1. The fairytale
2. Wake up call
3: Them numbers
4: Does he know?
5: Broken pieces
6: overzealous
7: Cured
8: Big Madame
9: Not the proper way
10: His move
12: Marrying Zain
13: So not savvy
14: In his mind
15: Recourse
16: Duende
17: Adventure
18: Devious maid
19: Gymming
20: Overt conclusion
21: Counterpoint hair trigger
22: One hellish month
23: His quirk
24: From different sides of a coin
25: Vengeance or life!
26: Freak show
27: Budding ties
28: Destiny writes
29: Wrapping up
30: An old flame
31: The missing 'I'
32: Runaway
33: Marmie's predicament!
34: The key
35: Youngest daughter
36: Strategy
37: Benazir 1
38: Benazir 2
39: Barack's claim
40: North trouble
41: Saad's fate
42: The clown saga
43: Moving Key
44: Her will is his
45: That strange emotion
46: Eclipsing the doldrums
47: Bedeviling solution 1
48: Bedeviling solution 2
49: Bedeviling solution 3
50: Bedeviling solution 4
51: Bedeviling solution 5
52: A tiny spark of hope
53: Her state of mind
54:
55: A seal of fate 1
56: A seal of fate 2
57: A seal of fate 3
58: A seal of fate 4
59: Another puzzle
60: A tale of keys
61: Dry eyed
62: Will of nature
63: Oblivious
64: One wish
65: Hakuna matata
66: The heir of king
67: Not red
68: Rescuing the damsel
69: Kamkam bros
70: The Alero
71: Poor daddy
72: All about family
73: What they thought
74: Anhedonia 1
75: Anhedonia 2
76: A quiet ending 1
77: A quiet ending 2
Epilogue
Author's note

11: corporate bankruptcy

1K 238 33
By Zeeemibs

Pappy

I return from China and what I came back to meet is not very encouraging.

"You must let Zain Marry Mira" I advised.

Pops is already looking angry at my utterances.

"Calm down my brother! Let us make him think he won. We can make sure this never happens again. We will make him sign the papers" I explain.

Pops glares at me. "How dare you! Isn't it you, Saminu and Mufeed who had gone to him for help?! Did you not sell half of the company to him? And you have the mouth to tell me it will all be over using one single signature? Does he look dumb to you?" Pops rages.

"You are just being stubborn because of your stupid pride! Times are no longer favoring us! We must do something before we are fully bankrupt!" I sneered.

"Who is the reason we are facing this problem?! How many times had Zan come to our rescue? We rise once and fall twice over! It can't go on like this forever! I am tired of your excesses! All of you!" He glared at me.

"If you were a better business man, this would never have happened!" I retort.

"So now it's my fault? I have been trying to keep this family together!" Pops looks so red in his black outburst.

"Yes I know! You like to act like you are the good one in this family! You have practically turned everyone against me! Do you think I didn't know? Yakumbo is gobbling up more money than any of us because of her so called treatment! And we have to watch you spend the money righteously even though it belongs to all of us!" I raged too.

"How dare you! After all I have done for you!" Pops is breathing hard. His blood pressure must be high right now. So I quickly held him. But he pushed me away.

He had to sit down on his own and breath for some time before he could finally get ahold of himself.

He looks so old and sickly right now.

I must take the family reigns no matter what pops will say!

We can't go on like this forever!

Honest is dead! In the business world, you sell anything to make money!

And wallahi Mira will marry this Zain whether anyone likes it or not.

After all, the brights have nothing to give us compared to Zain!

Zain

Pappy reaches out to me to tell me that pops isn't feeling well.

"I hope he gets well soon" I reply genuinely concerned.

"Ameen Zain" is all that he said before we hung up.

So I called Eman there after. Pappy isn't the type to worry about others. He is selfish and opportunistic. I will know!

"What is going on? Pappy called to tell me that pops is not doing fine" I ask him.

"I don't know. But I think they fought" Eman explains.

"Go and speak to pops. I have a message for him" I tell him.

"What is it?" Eman is curious.

"Tell him that I want to talk whenever he is ready"

Eman doesn't understand why he should be the one to tell pops since I am perfectly capable of texting the old man myself. But he knows better than to ask why.

Actually, like the brights, the Gaddos are facing corporate bankruptcy.

For the Gaddos, it's not easily explainable. To suddenly loose billions is definitely irresponsible of them.

But as it turns out, the family are using more money than they can currently afford to. Pops panicked. He isn't a very good business man to start with. So when it became apparent to him that things were going south, his panic had put the final nail in their coffin.

How?

Instead of him to keep a cool head and plan ahead like any strong company does, pops allowed himself to give up hope.

The company had this big project going on. Since there is no longer any crude oil to be had in their wells, they needed to move into buying from others. The problem is, pops had unwisely ventured to stake it out with the Brights who were internally facing a bigger issue.

When a company is facing bankruptcy, they either declare chapter 7 or chapter 11 bankruptcy.

For the chapter seven type, they will have to turn over the company to a trustee so they can liquidate their assets to pay off 'priority clients' before shareholders or bond holders in the company.

The chapter eleven though, allows the company to reorganize themselves and plan for the future while they are still going on with trying to recoup their losses and maybe launch a good plan on how to start operating again.

Here is Pops's big mistake!

He isn't in such dire straits that he had to declare chapter seven immediately. He did not trust his ability to bring the company out of its trying times though. So he allowed himself to turn over the oil company to a board of trustee in which the company assets were sold as junk.

They could barely pay their priority clients not to talk of bondholders or share holders!

The brights immediately bought some of the assets though. And pops has Pappy and the others use their stock to buy shares from the brights so they don't lose everything. Which is a good plan initially. But the Brights are new in the business. They used to only own clothing companies and agricultural lands.

But now they are trying to go into the oil business.

Unfortunately, silly mistakes on who they aligned with had succeeded in bringing them down.

Very soon, if they don't recoup their losses to keep their clients calm, they will have to declare corporate bankruptcy too.

It would look like their stocks are steady, albeit low. But soon, everything will crash and both the Brights and the Gaddos will be on their knees.

Truth is, pops did not tell me all these. They didn't trust me with it, which is another character flaw. If they had asked for my help, the Gaddos will be thriving right now.

Marwan had intel on the details because one of his friends had lost a lot of money in the venture and so he had investigated the cause to help his friend out.

Who knew it will end up helping me instead?

Right now, it's either Pops put his pride aside or he would have to watch everything else come to ruin! Their oil company is their biggest profit. And now it's gone!

They will need money to keep contracts, deals, their many houses all over the world, the grand lifestyle, children abroad and what not.

Pops can no longer afford to be so high handed. He either allows me to help him or he loses all of his dignity along with his money. It is that simple!

Mira

I can see it all play out. But it's not in my favor.

The way Zain works, he makes others feel as if they need him too much to let him go. He is good at what he does. Which is practically get anything he wants!

Why does he want me now? Is it because he thinks I am Jas?

The moment I heard that Pappy is back and Pops was transported to a hospital, I just know things will never be in my favor.

Pappy isn't sentimental. Nope! He is deicisive and ruthless when he needs to be. What are my feelings? Nothing!

What he would see is what pleasing Zain will bring to the whole family at large.

At first, I am going to refuse the marriage by leaving the house to seek protection under Baba Murtala.

But then Kashim came to me and asked for a word.

I never trust Zain's grown brothers. They are always on his side! I repeat, always!

Still, I need to show that I am amicable to hear what other tales they are weaving to make it all seem righteous.

He looks grave though. And I feel apprehension. My instincts are telling me he is going to attack my vulnerable side. But since I don't love brother, I don't see what vulnerable side I could have right now.

"The Brights are going to declare bankruptcy. Like us" he state sullenly.

My eyes widens at that. A lot of things suddenly makes sense!

My uncles accepting huge amounts from Zain when I was married to him. Pops having his HBP suddenly shooting high after Zain makes an appearance!

What is next?

"So what does that have to do with me?" I ask him.

"Pops has a big regret. He couldn't forgive himself for not keeping the business sound. Pappy is taking over. But the problem is that your Aman might be the reason his family sinks with us" he explains.

I shake my head subtly. They are a band of hooligans! Zain and his brothers are all the same. Thank God Umar and Huzaifah did not grow up in this cold mansion!

The way Kashim is acting ko, it speaks to my pride, my one weakness I hadn't even considered.

My father.

If Baba suffers, Marmie will suffer with him and My little brother's future will be affected too.

I won't ask myself if Zain is ruthless enough to do it. I guess he would do anything to get Jas back safely in his clutches!

"Why will his family sink with us Ya Kashim?" I ask.

"Because we are in this together. We had hoped with your union to Aman, we would be family!" He explains.

I pushed back a feeling of helplessness and say calmly "why are you really here ya Kashim?" I ask him.

"To plead with you. Please don't ask Momsie to interfere when Pappy apologizes to the Brights. We will all sink without Ya Zain. Can you live with yourself if we all go under because you cannot marry him?" He asks beseechingly.

I have the sudden impulse to kick him. If only I could!

His plan is coming out little by little. He is going to strangle me from all sides.

It's either I cave or I drown!

So like Zain!

I told Ya Kashim I will think about it. In my mind, I know it's all over.

I will never be happy. It's as simple as that.

But wallahi, it's not only my life that will be ruined! My vengeance will be slow in coming because right now, I am empty and he has all the cards.

I shouldn't have allowed myself to think that Aman could be mine. He is too good for me. I have a vengeful heart.

And I can't seem to forgive tyranny.

If only I can do something before I am casted off like dormant cargo off to Lagos state!

Zain

I am in Abuja, trying to take stock of the remaining Gaddos assets.

It's worse than I originally thought.

But then Hassa turns up on my doorstep and I had to turn her away.

I remember what Hassa did for me. I could never really forget it. Which is why I tolerate most of her attitude really.

I was facing ruin. My first company did not make it. It was the worst year of my life.

I developed a software but I need to have my own world to operate it. But I don't have cash. And I don't want to sell it.

Hassan sold her car and some of her jewelry to help me out even though she fought badly with her brother over it.

Later, I made it. But then I realized she got into trouble for me. She has no way of knowing how valuable the software was or if I will make it. And despite having so much, the money she gave to me is more than she could afford to give anyone.

I was touched.

So I don't mind anything I could spend on her. And even though she makes is clear she wants us to get married, something always stops me.

A variety of reasons take claim each time. But the truth is, it's something else. An intuition. Hassa will not make a good wife.

But who am I to judge? I married Ali too and she was worse! She pretended to be good and that is unforgivable!

Anyways, I am getting Mira back. So all will be well.

I was so tired and I began to doze off on a love seat I had been sitting on watching news.

But then my other friend, Hamid Sarki makes his appearance. I swear they are popping up everyday now!

And I know why he is here. He thinks I need help to keep Mira this time around.

He is the hopeless romantic of all my friends. Heartbreak or failure doesn't stop him from looking for his lady love. Funny, she hasn't turned up yet!

We shook hands and Hamid and I sit.

"This house is so nice!" He smiles.

"No you can't buy it from me" I declare.

Hamid grins. "Not even at a twenty five percent increment?" He asks temptingly.

"You crazy idiot! I am not selling!" I laugh. Too much money is making Hamid quite loony.

He buys anything he loves no matter the cost. In fact, he loves to increase the money just to watch others struggle with indecision.

"Is she here yet?" He asks me looking around the house.

"Who?" I pretend ignorance.

"Your Mira mana!" He exasperates.

I smile at him. "You shouldn't ask for other people's wife" i chide.

"She is now my sister though isn't she?" He smiles back. I can see he is taking real care of his beard these days. It's not only shining, it's practically glowing!

"Depends on the approach" I retort.

"Seriously, is she in the bag yet?" He asks me.

"Why are you pestering me!" I shake my head.

"Saad came to see me" he confesses.

"Gossiping like a damn girl!" I complain.

"He is only worried about you" Hamid denies.

"So what will you do? Advise me on how to handle Mira with care?" I ask skeptically.

"No. Find out what plans you have to change her mind drastically about hating your guts" he grins.

"Save your trouble. I won't divorce her this time. Rest assured Cupid!" I know I sound sarcastic but it's a little annoying when others make my business their business!

Mira is becoming a celebrity to my friends! Damn it, I keep good relationships or I won't have any friends!

"But I remember how Mira was. Stubborn and opinionated! Will she accept your dictate you stupid tyrant?" He challenges.

"If she doesn't, what will she do?" I challenged back.

"Make your life hell!" He declares.

That makes me laugh wallahi. A simple girl making my life hell! Not even Jas did! Thought she is constantly in my mind every second of every day. But I have risen above her too. She is just a girl!

"You really don't believe me?" He looks astonished.

"Save your drama Hamid. I don't need it" I frown.

Hamid sighs exaggeratedly. "I swear Zain, when you are about to die from frustration, and you come to me for my kind of drama, I will snub you!" He threatens.

"Good! I don't need it anyway" I remain exempt from his type of polishing. I really don't need this!

"Answer me one question" he asks.

I shrug.

"What do you think Mira will require from you?" He asks.

The question honestly disturbs me a lot. I didn't think of what she will need! I simply assumed it will all fall into place.

What will she need though?

What a question!

"You don't know!" He shakes his head.

"Look! My marriage is my concern. Stop bugging me!" I took offense.

"I hope I bug some sense into your fish brain! Women are complex concepts. Unfortunately for you, you are less than a singular concept!" He derides.

"At least I am not going around disturbing people. In my opinion, that is a singular concept!" I retort.

"I almost pity you!" He sighs.

I glare at him. "Back off man! Not everyone needs to know the complex concept of romance!" I bellow.

"You are so dead!" He drags it in a sing-sang voice while he shakes his head. You can literally feel the irony in his words!

"Please let me die in peace" I beg him.

"Die in peace" were his last words on the topic.

And we began to discuss business and life.

Much to my relief!

"So you couldn't keep the beard? Want some pointers?" Hamid though, isn't done being an annoying fly!

A/N

I am trying to revise the chapters to what the story needs. I hope it's all good.

I had to wave off a chapter and more than half of the last two!

I really hope you are enjoying it.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

It helps to know what you wrote is good enough or not. Cox it's all in my head and I wouldn't know how it looks to others without feedback!

Again, I welcome criticism. Fire away. I don't mind.

Bye for now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Destiny By AishaUmarYau

General Fiction

266K 29.2K 35
Ameena had not planned on getting her world turned upside down when she agreed to attend her college best friend's wedding on the other side of the c...
24K 1.7K 34
A beautiful and forever pretty girl Zaynab ,who has everything she ever wanted handed to her on a silver plate finds herself in a dilemma when her fa...
106K 18.3K 54
Copyright© 2020. All rights reserved. Completed! ~•BOOK 2 IN THE ROYAL SERIES•~ Perhaps it was the fact that despite the inner turmoil she has, some...
117K 18.8K 65
~BOOK 2 IN THE DESIRES SERIES~ STARTED ON 27-AUGUST-2020 FINISHED ON 14-OCTOBER-2020 Completed. #1 Nigerian On 05-Sept-2021 #18 Africa...