Deeper

By anya_jayvyn

In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." Hi... More

1 | Encounter
2 | Vaughn's Effect
3 | The Bad Boy
4 | First Day
5 | The Best Friend
6 | The Beginning
7 | Tutor
9 | Sushi Date
10 | The Alley
11 | Breaking
12 | Safe Haven
13 | Heartbeat
14 | First Kiss
15 | The Ex
16 | Gossip Girl
17 | Denial
18 | Desire
19 | Stranger
20 | Escaping
21 | Wild
22 | Possessive
23 | What the Heart Wants
24 | First Time
25 | Breakfast
26 | The Shadow
27 | Another Breakfast
28 | Breaking In
29 | In the Dark
30 | The Bodyguard
31 | Confession
32 | Submission
33 | Little Treasure
34 | Past and Present
35 | Bloodshot Eyes
36 | Cold Heart
37 | I Trusted You
38 | Broken
39 | Stay
40 | Gone
41 | I Miss You
42 | The Painful Truth
43 | Crumbling
44 | Your Lies
45 | Blind
46 | The Player
47 | Kidnapped
48 | Silent Cry
49 | Forgive Me
50 | The Other Half
51 | Not Today
52 | The Killer in Me
53 | Don't Go
54 | New Beginning
55 | Don't Look Back
56 | Moving On
57 | Chasing Her
58 | No More Us
59 | In Your Arms
60 | Regrets
61 | Here With You
62 | Gravity
63 | Nightmare
64 | My Everything
65 | I Love You
66 | Back to You
67 | All That Matters
68 | Farewell
69 | Always
Epilogue
Spin-off Story | Broken Sky
Special Chapter
Spin-off Story | Luna
Story Copyright
Casts & Mood Boards

8 | Rush Hour

597K 18K 6.4K
By anya_jayvyn

I get up from the couch, and my gaze darts on the thing lying on the armchair. It's Vaughn's notebook.

Wondering if it's something important that he forgot to bring, I walk closer to it. I feel guilty for looking into other people's stuff, but there's something urgent kicking inside me. I take the book and flip through the pages. Then my eyes widen.

It's all about the presentation to get into the internship. He's written the notes here and there. The important points, the conclusions and what he has to say to convince the company.

No. No. No.

I gulp, and even my hand starts to shake. This can't be happening.

He forgot to bring it with him. How could he? He must have been in a hurry.

I snap my head towards the clock. I have less than an hour until the presentation. Without thinking further, I decide to bring the book to him.

My hand grips the steering wheel so hard that my knuckles turn white. The traffic lights change to red, and I curse, beating the steering wheel again for God knows how many times. I shoot a glance at the google maps on my phone. The GPS shows that I'll be reaching the office in less than five minutes.

I never thought that it would be such a hassle to find Pearl Oil R&D Center.

I take a few wrong turns, but thanks to the GPS, I come back into the right road. I'm not familiar with Boston. Geez. I'm a newbie here. It's not like I know it like the back of my hand.

No, I'm not in my sleeping outfits. I've changed into more presentable clothes. A white blouse and a striped blue pencil skirt. All because I'm going into the workplace of a well-known company, for God's sake.

I wanted to leave the house without washing up, but then I managed to take a very quick shower.

It was the quickest shower I've ever taken in my entire life.

After a few more turns, I finally pull in at the building and get out of my car. The security protocols make me growl with impatience before I can finally enter the main lobby. It's huge and such a grand entrance, with glass windows standing tall until the ceiling. The scent of formal workplace attacks my nostrils, and it always makes me somehow nervous.

I rush to the receptionist with such urgency, startling the lady behind the counter. "Excuse me." I pant. "I need to..." I don't even know what I'm talking about. I don't know which person I should meet or which department I should go into. The only thing in my mind is to bring the book to Vaughn no matter what.

The watch on my wrist indicates that it's already 8.45.

I called Vaughn on the way here, but he didn't pick up. I stopped calling after 8 AM because I was afraid that he was already presenting.

"Did you have an appointment?" the lady asks. "Which floor are you going to? Please fill the logbook and hand us your ID card."

I stiffen. "I'm sorry," I stutter. "I'll just wait in here."

I walk to one of the sofas and sit down. Trying to calm down, I take out my phone and type a message to Vaughn in a fast mode.

Vaughn, you forgot your notebook. I'm at the lobby, if you need it.

I bury my eyes in my hand. The chance of him reading my message is low. It's already started.

I can't help but send another text.

I'm sorry.

It's all because he helped me with my research. We've both lost track of time.

A sigh leaves my lips before I let out a soft chuckle of desperation. I dart my gaze on the surroundings, people in formal attires passing by, some of whom greeting each other and shaking hands before joining the same meeting later.

I feel so small and out of place.

My heart sinks as what I saw on Vaughn's notebook cross my mind again. Judging by what I've read, he has put so many thoughts on his presentations. So many ideas that make me wonder with awe how the hell he even managed to invent all of those things.

What if he fails because of me? I sincerely wish he won't, because, come on, he's Vaughn Cooper. He's so smart and invincible.

But at this moment, that fact can't wash away my worries for him.

By the time my watch indicates 10.30 AM, I'm still glued to the same spot. Here, settling in my seat at the sofa, waiting for Vaughn.

I just can't leave even though I have no idea how long the presentation and interview will take. I need to see Vaughn.

"Melanie?" a voice calls, startling me.

I turn my head and find Vaughn standing a few feet away from me, looking at me in surprise.

And oh, I freeze at the sight of him looking so dashing. He wears a navy suit, without a tie, his chestnut brown hair styled in a slicked-back.

He approaches me, and the words slip out from my lips before I can remember moving them. "Wow, you look good," I say.

He stares at me for a while, as if still absorbing my words, then a soft smile tugs at his lips, his eyes glinting with amusement. "What are you doing here?" he asks.

"Did you not get my texts?" I ask, dying to know how the presentation was.

"I'm sorry, it was quite hectic that I--" he stops in mid-sentence when his eyes fall on the notebook I've been gripping in my hand the entire time.

"I'm sorry. You left this at my house," I explain, handing the book back to him, guilt present in my voice. "I've tried to contact you, but I've failed miserably."

He looks lost as he takes the notebook back. Then he shifts his attention back to me. "You came all the way here for this?"

My mouth drops open. Why did he speak like the notes mean nothing for him?

"Yeah?" I echo, suddenly feeling stupid.

He laughs, making me almost die. From his handsomeness, as usual. Just when I think he couldn't be more charming.

"Come on, I had it all in my head." He smirks, cocking his head.

"How was the presentation?" I ask with urgency, anticipation building up inside me.

I can see that he's getting more amused by the way he stares at me.

"Did you..." I gasp. "Did you get in?" I look for an answer, and his eyes tell it all. "But... Your notes--"

He chuckles. "Come on, Mel. I don't need the notes. I had to plant it in my head. Otherwise, I wouldn't have nailed it."

"You nailed it?" I almost scream.

"I'm pretty sure I did," he says. "The boards of directors were happy. And yes, for your question, I got the internship." He smirks.

"The boards of directors?" I squeak.

They were there? For an intern? Who is this man, really? Tony Stark?

But the tension in my body finally eases.

He did great. I was worried for nothing.

"Oh, God." I sigh, placing my hand on my chest. "That's a relief." I close my eyes.

"I should treat you then," he says, and my eyes snap open as I look up at him. "How about some brunch?" A smile forms on his lips.

"Treat me?" I gawk.

"Yeah. It's a celebration," he says. "And you came all the way here for me. I can't be more flattered," he teases playfully, making me blush.

Well. I don't have any classes until this afternoon.

But still... Look at him. I feel so underdressed if we go out together like this.

"Come on," he growls. "I'm starving. I haven't got any breakfast."

Oh. I totally forgot about that.

Guilt starts to fill me again. My stomach agrees to whatever he says because I didn't get myself any breakfast either.

"There's a good sushi restaurant just a few blocks away," he says.

Damn. Now that he said it, I'm craving for it. I can never resist sushi. I fucking love sushi. Jake loves it as much as I do. Hell. The whole family loves sushi.

"Sushi will do," I say quietly.

But how did he know it?

I scowl at myself after realising that I forgot one little fact. That he's my brother's best friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

652K 15.5K 61
August & Colin | WRU series | book 1 We take risks. We make mistakes. We lie. We love. We hurt. We lose total control. I took a risk. I paid the pri...
2.2M 61.9K 42
"I need to talk to you Elly" "Why?!" "I know that you're my mate" I laughed sarcastically. "What?! Are you trying to make fun of me again like you di...
2.9K 405 35
After my escape, and yet another but brutal last year at the same high school, my school sent me their condolences and made sure to inform my future...
19K 1.4K 106
⚠️ Warning!!⚠️ ⚠️ Contains mature content such as smut, violence, language and drug use⚠️ Completed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^* " Bad things happen to everyone a...