Ice.

By engelix

"It's kind of ironic, you know? My life has always revolved around being on ice. It only makes sense that I m... More

Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Chapter Twenty-Nine.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty-One.
Chapter Thirty-Two.
Chapter Thirty-Three.
Chapter Thirty-Four.
Chapter Thirty-Five.
Chapter Thirty-Six.
Chapter Thirty-Seven.
Chapter Thirty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty-Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Chapter Forty-One.
Chapter Forty-Two.
Chapter Forty-Three.
Chapter Forty-Four.
Chapter Forty-Six.
Off Ice - The Sequel

Chapter Forty-Five.

53.3K 971 1.4K
By engelix

Avery

Prom is overrated anyway.

The only thing I was really looking forward too with prom was going to that cabin to stay with my friends afterwards. But honestly, it wouldn't of been the same without Finn. Not to mention that I would of felt incredibly guilty missing the game altogether and would of just watched the livestream on my phone the whole night anyway.

I was just going to wear the black gown I wore to that Thunderbirds press dinner all those months ago, the one where Finn introduced me as his girlfriend for the first time and everything with Jack went down, so it's not even like I went out of my way to do anything for prom anyway.

After I got off the phone with Finn, Grace had come in and asked if I was alright. I had told her that I had an idea but didn't know if it was dumb because of how impulsive it was. But of course she encouraged it. Not only was she still pretty drunk, but she's also up there with the top supporters of our relationship.

After talking, and apologizing profusely, to Cam as well as making sure my mother wouldn't disown me, I bought a ticket for the morning. Grace and I slept for a few hours, sobered up, and then she took me back to my house the next morning, helped me pack, and took me to the airport.

I'm going to buy her so much coffee and chocolate when I get back. I owe her so much.

I was fully expecting to knock out when we got to the room because of how exhausted I was, but I definitely liked the alternative better.

Shower sex is fun as hell.

I did end up sleeping like a baby last night anyway.

It's the next morning now, but neither of us are making any notion to move from our position. We woke up about an hour ago, his head on my chest and his arm wrapped tightly around me, our legs tangled. He said he missed his favorite pillows.

Cheeky.

We're having light conversations every now and then, but our time this morning has mainly consisted of me running my hand through his hair while his traces words on my stomach that he has me guess.

Some included, but were not limited too: Casey. Puck (got confused on that one). Mop (?). Ollie. Kelso. Shower. Aves.

Needless to say, a lot of these lead into fits of laughter when I would guess something waaaaay off. I really could of sworn that shower was elephant. Would of bet a lot of money on it.

Although today is the day of the game, there seems to be a lightness in the air. He doesn't seem overly anxious, which I'm really relieved about. He seems happy. All I ever want him to be is happy.

"I was thinking," he starts suddenly, which makes me smile and interrupt, "Uh oh."

He squeezes my side, making me jolt and let out a loud laugh. "Don't be mean to me."

"Oh, yes. I'm always so cruel," I say sarcastically, settling back down. He nuzzles his face into my chest again like the little shit he is, wrapping his arm back around me.

"Anyway," he continues dramatically, slipping his hand under my shirt again to run his bare fingers over my skin. My eyes close briefly at the feeling, but I open them again to look down at him.

His hair is pulled back in a bun and I've been pushing the fly always back with every stroke. I love the feeling of running my fingers through his hair and against his head, just feeling him with me.

"The last game of the round is on the 23rd, if the series even goes to game 7. If the team makes it to the second round, it wouldn't start until the 28th."

My brows are furrowed as I watch him speak, confused as to where he's going with this. "...Okay?"

He shifts a bit so he's no longer laying on my chest and lays on his side to face me. I turn as well, my expression still dipped in confusion as he tucks my hair behind my ear.

"Well, I was thinking that maybe I could get home for graduation," he shrugs, rolling his lips into his mouth. My brows shoot up in surprise as he continues and I try not to get my hopes up. "I'd have to talk to my agent and the staff, but I'd need to go home and pack some things anyway. Maybe the day I go down could be the day of graduation, and then I'd leave the next morning."

"Okay," I say softly and with a small smile, trying not to get myself excited over a huge hypothetical. It seems doable, but I already feel like we're on borrowed time and that just seems to good to be true. "We can figure that out later. You've got enough on your plate with the game today."

He just gives me a small smile and nod, continuing to run his fingers through the hair behind my ear. I might as well talk to him about today.

"How are you feeling, baby?" I ask softly, placing my hand on his chest to try and keep him calm. But honestly, I feel his heart start to jump as soon as I do.

"M'Nervous," he pretty much mumbles, his eyes darting around my face as he scans it. The way he just said that was fucking adorable. "Don't want to fuck it up. I'm excited too, though."

"It's good to be nervous," I assure him, still keeping my tone light. "You won't fuck it up, though. You could never fuck anything up."

"Everyone has too much faith in me," he shakes his head, looking away from me. "Everyone needs to lower their expectations."

"As the leading figure in underestimating themselves," I start, raising my eyebrows with a playful smile. "Don't."

He lets out a light laugh at that, and I secretly pat myself on the back from eliciting my favorite sound. I slip my hand up his neck until my knuckle is gliding along his cheek gently; along his dimple. I really love those things. "Don't let the nerves take over, Finn." I say seriously, noticing how he's leaning into my touch subtly. It makes my tummy do somersaults like it's fucking Simone Biles. "You're going to have the time of your life. You know that once you get on that ice, everything will disappear, like it always does. You're going to be a superstar, even if you don't believe it yet. But let me just say," I lean forward, dropping my voice into a whisper, "I'm so fucking excited to scream like a fucking Wild woman."

I wink at him, absolutely intending the pun and his face lights up, his lip coming between his teeth before he says, "I'm just excited for you to become a Wild woman."

That's it. I'm going to lose my MIND.

My mouth snaps closed and my eyes widen as I try to slow my fucking heart rate down before I go into cardiac arrest. He just gets a goofy smile on his face and leans forward, giving me a quick, yet somehow deep kiss, while muttering against me, "Looks like someone else is going to need the defibrillator."

I roll my eyes as I pull away, pressing my hand to his chest again before pressing my lips to the same spot, feeling it literally beat twice as fast as mine. I pull away and put my cheek there instead. "Nah, you're still the Code Blue."

"If you're so in love with my heart, then why are you so insistent on getting it to stop?" he asks, wrapping his arms around me and lacing his hand through my hair. He holds me close and I close my eyes to savor the feeling, something I've been doing a lot since I came here yesterday. Unless he does get to come back for graduation, this is going to be the last time we're going to be together until August and I think we're both trying to not waste a single second of it.

"Your heart is to strong to stop," I tell him honestly, digging my face even deeper into his bare chest. The smell that is inherently Finn clouds my senses and all I want to do is bottle it up and make it into a candle. "It can handle more than you know."

"And how do you know that?" he questions.

"Because it belongs to me, remember?" I smile, looking up at him. He looks down when he realizes my gaze has shifted to him and gives me a small smile before he dips his head down and presses his lips right under my eye, before nuzzling his face there. He does this a lot, where he presses his cheek to mine, where I can feel his eyelashes brushing against the side of my nose and feel his breath come out in puffs from his. It's not a position I would normally think of, but he loves it and it melts every fiber in me every time he does it.

"You know we can do this, eh?" Finn asks softly and I can feel his words turn to air on my face as we stay impossibly close. "We can handle the distance?"

Although I always have the bit of doubt that something will happen that will make us split, or that pretty much my worst fear of him getting bored and just leaving may happen, I do have hope. I have hope that we will figure out a routine that works for us, that allows us to see each other and get used to the weird circumstances. I have hope in us.

"I know," I respond, pressing my lips to his cheek now. We're just both feeling really affectionate, I guess. Shocker. "Honestly, Finn. I know that we can do anything we put our minds too. And our hearts."

"I love you so much, Aves." He's speaking so quietly right now, like if he was to talk to loudly he would shatter all the windows and glass in here. He's being so gentle as he scratches my scalp, his hand still tangled in the mess of hair on my head. It's hard to believe he's such a tough hockey player when he's so soft with me.

I feel like I could cry at his words, at his actions. He means so much to me. I have never, ever, felt like this with anyone before, and I really don't think I could feel it with anyone else. I've never been so drowned in love. Not just the love that I have for him; the adoration and devotion that I feel like is just overflowing from me. I'm also drowned in his love. I can feel it, every bit of it, and it's the most rewarding and satisfying feeling in the world.

I can feel it radiating off of him. Every ounce of it. He doesn't need to say it for me to feel it, but it's stronger when he does. I was thinking about this the other day when we said goodbye before he left for Bakersfield, and he reminded me that he loved me. I was thinking about why it feels so good to hear the words come from him when actually feeling it is other worldly. I think it's because it shows me that he's not afraid to say it; that he's confident in his words towards me. They have weight behind them, they're not empty. I feel the same amount of affection from them no matter how much he says them.

I pull back a bit so that I can get a good look at him. His hair is just as messy as mine, that and his swollen eyes and pink cheeks showing me that he had a good sleep last night. His dimples are prominent right now with every expression that passes his sharp features. His eyes are bright, the green in them shinning and just proving more and more to be my favorite color.

We're quiet for a moment as we both observe the other, one of these moments being the kind where we don't need to say anything to feel the love. But I want to tell him. I want him to hear the words fall from my lips because I mean them more than any promise I've ever given.

I lift my hand to push his hair back and he leans into my touch again, a small smile playing at his lips. My throat gets dry as I open up a little bit more to him, knowing that it's a safe space but still feeling that bit of vulnerability that I think I always will feel. "You're incredible, Finn. I really believe that you are the best thing that's happened to me. I just want to make you happy, I just want you to be happy all the time. You deserve to be happy all the time."

His brows twitch together for a moment and he seems a little bit surprised at my words, which I can't understand for the life of me. I'm definitely experiencing an extreme case of word vomit right now. "You wanna know why I think we're going to be okay?"

He just nods, seeming like he can't think of his own words. But that's okay. I'll just give him mine. He deserves them anyway. "Because of the feeling you give me, even when you're not around. When you're on trips, sure I miss you like crazy, but I still feel it. I still feel how much you love me even when you're gone. Whether it's from a small text letting me know what you're doing or a random call when you're thinking of me." 

"I feel that too," he responds, taking my hand from his face and pressing his lips to each individual knuckle. "I'm crazy about you, Aves. Sometimes I just look at you and wonder how the fuck you're actually here, how you're actually mine. I know we get shit on by our friends for being so cheesy, but I can't help it when it comes to you. I don't care. I'm just- I'm just really happy I know you, and that I have you."

I huff out a breath and lean forward, pressing my lips to his. He opens his mouth to capture mine, neither of us having a care about morning breath. That's why you brush your teeth before you go to sleep, kids. Makes it much more bearable.

He grasps my jaw, pulling me even closer until there's no visible space between us anymore. His other arm squeezes between me and the mattress, his hand traveling under the shirt I'm wearing. His warm palm presses against the skin on my lower back and I shudder at the feeling. I wrap my arms around his neck and wrap my leg around his waist to try to get him even closer, the small act of desperation resonating with him.

He pulls at me while going to lay on his back, so I take the hint and follow him while never disconnecting our lips. Our tongues glide together as I move over him, my legs being stationed on each side of him as I let myself relax against his lap, my chest pressed against his as my arms rest on the sides of his head.

His laces through my hair again as he directs my head to the side, his lips leaving mine to trail down my neck with sweet kisses and love bites. My eyes flutter shut at the feeling and I let out the soft moan that's asking to be released. His hand travels down and grips my behind and pushes me against the thin material of his briefs.

My LORD.

"I'm so fucking in love with you, Finnegan," I tell him again breathlessly, which causes his grip to tighten on me even more. His fingers dig into my skin but it feels good, it feels so fucking good.

He sits us up and my legs fold behind his back, my arms wrapping around his neck again as I grind myself against him. I feel like my whole body is on fire.

"What time is it?" he asks against my skin, so I look over to see the clock on the beside table.

"Ten past eight," I answer.

"Told my family we'd meet them at 9," he informs me, his hands gripping the hem of my shirt. He pulls back for a moment, but it's just so that he can pull it over my head quickly, leaving me in just my underwear. His hand grasps at my bare breast while his lips hover over my neck as he says, "Give me thirty minutes, tops."

"You won't need thirty minutes," I promise him, feeling his lips attach to my neck again.

Hell, not sure he'll even need twenty.

*

I'm so excited. I honestly don't even have many nerves right now, but maybe that's because the game isn't for a few more hours.

After Finn and I were.. finished.. this morning, we met up with Morgan and Ms. Wilder for breakfast. His mom jumped on him as soon as she saw him, which was fucking adorable, and squeezed him so tightly that his face started to go a bit red.

It's so pure, seeing how happy and proud she is. He's still her little boy, even though he's playing in the National Hockey League today. She raised him, alone for the last five years, and she's done one hell of a job. I know that his biggest goal in life is to take care of his mom so that she doesn't have to worry about anything when she gets older, and I'm positive he's going to do that. He's got a long and bright career ahead of him.

Morgan gave me a big hug when she saw me, gushing about how she was so happy I decided to come. I'm really going to miss her once I move, because I know that I won't really be seeing her often. Maybe on holidays, whatever those entail when they come, or if we're both in San Jose at the same time. But I won't be going back to Seattle often, really. My family will be in New York, and I'll be in California. My time in Seattle is officially coming to a complete end.

Now we're back in the room. He went to the gym for a bit before coming back up and showering, and then the two of us went out for a walk around the city. He was showing me around the places he's been when traveling here throughout the season, and I'm honestly a bit surprised at how well he knows his way around. The city reminds me of Toronto a bit, but it's still has its own quirks that make it new. I can see why he likes it here, and I can definitely see him living here.

He also got me flowers while we were out, which melted my fucking heart. Roses. My favorite.

After we came back, we kind of just laid around and gave each other kisses and cuddles, which is just our favorite pass time. But Finn is in the bathroom now, finishing getting himself together and I'm packing some things up so I don't have to do it later tonight or early before I leave tomorrow. I wish I could stay longer, but I have to get back home. I have to finish packing up our house and spend as much time with Cam and my friends as I can.

My mom wasn't the happiest when I told her I wanted to come down here. We still have a lot to do before we leave, and although I've spent pretty much every minute of the day packing all our stuff and doing almost everything, she's still on back about it. I understand why, though. Moving across the country is stressful and I know she's emotional right now. I'm trying not to get frustrated with her. I'm really trying.

I sit on the edge of the bed and put my head in my hands as my mind starts to wander back home. I don't regret coming here. I don't regret it at all. But now I'm feeling guilty. I left her alone, even if it was only for a few days. I'm not being a good daughter. She needs my help and I'm not helping.

I'm going to cancel my plans with Cam when I get back and finish packing up her office for her. She's got a lot to do with her bedroom and I know it's taking its toll on her. I have to finish my room too, but that's okay.

"What wrong, baby?"

I sit up abruptly, looking at my beautiful boy. I give him a smile, standing as I walk up to him, "Nothing, love. I'm fine."

He's about to push again so I change the subject. "Look at you! You look incredible," I smile, taking a step back to look at him. He's wearing a black suit with a dark green shirt and tie, his hair tied back into a bun at the base of his neck. He really takes my breath away every time I see him.

"I wore it to the last game in Bakersfield, but I didn't have another suit," he says, an insecure tone to his voice as he looks down at his attire. I cup his cheeks in my hands and press my lips to his deeply for a few moments before pulling back. "It doesn't matter. You look fantastic. I have a hot ass boyfriend."

He gives me a small smile now as he keeps his hands stationed on my hips, but there's still concern in his eyes. "Baby, please tell me if there's something wrong. I can tell you're sad or upset, or something."

"I'm not upset," I assure him, shaking my head as I rest my hands on his shoulders. "I'm just a little stressed over packing when I get back, is all. Nothing to worry about, though. I'm okay."

"You being stressed is something to worry about," he shuts me down. "Come here."

He circles his arms around my shoulders and pulls me into him, embracing my whole body fully. I wrap my arms around his torso now, holding onto him with my eyes closed and forehead pressed to his shoulder.

He runs his hands and knuckles down my back and along my arms, occasionally going into my hair to scratch at my scalp while he presses continuous kisses to my temple and cheek. He's trying to soothe me, and it's definitely helping. I didn't realize how tense I was.

We stay like that for close to five minutes, neither of us wanting to move from our position. But we end up having to when my phone starts to ring from the bedside table.

When I pull away, I go to my toes to press a grateful kiss to his lips, before leaving one on his cheek as well. He gives my bum a pat as I break away and I narrow my eyes at him, but my cheeks go red hot at the same time.

I let out a breath as I get my phone, definitely feeling lighter when I didn't even realize that I had felt weight on my shoulders to begin with.

I pick up the phone and see that Cam is FaceTiming me, so I answer it instantly.

I'm suddenly met by not just his face, but Sophie, Nya, and Lindsey's too. They all chorus together loudly, "Ayyyeee!"

Finn spins around to face me, his eyebrows raised high in confusion. I let out a laugh as I signal to my phone, "Hey, guys! What's going on?"

"Getting ready for prom!" Sophie says excitedly, holding up her curling wand. It looks like everyone is about half ready; Nya's hair still in a scarf, Lindsey's makeup only half done, and Sophie's hair half curled. I do feel a twinge if FOMO when I see them all together, but I wouldn't switch positions for the world. I'm right where I need to be.

Finn rounds the bed and moves to behind me, slinking his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder.

They all cheer again when he does and I move my head to the side a bit so I can look at him. He grins at them, his arms staying locked around me. "Hey, guys. You good, eh?"

"We're fantastic!" Lindsey exclaims, "But how about you?! How you feeling?!"

"I'm feeling good. Ready to play," he confirms, but I can tell it's not the entire truth. His nerves are getting to him a bit more now.

I'm not going to call him out on it though, obviously. So instead, I turn my head again and press a kiss to his temple as he stays with his chin on my shoulder.

"I'm bringing my laptop to prom," Cam says seriously. Finn's arms tighten around me as Cam speaks, and he kisses my cheek too. I lean my head against his while Cam continues. "I already called the venue to explain why I need the wifi password and they gave it to me. So you bet your ass we'll be watching the game."

"Oh my God," I laugh as Finn shakes his head. "You really don't need to do that, eh? Enjoy prom-"

"We will enjoy it.. By watching you play in the NHL," Lindsey shuts him down. He chuckles at that and stands up straight, shaking his head again as he does. I have to hold the phone back a bit more so they can see him still.

He rests his cheek against the side of my head now, and I lean back into his chest as I say, "The chaperons are going to go crazy over that."

"I don't care," Cam shrugs. "We're not missing it."

We talk to them for about five more minutes before we part ways, all of them wishing Finn and abundance of luck. Once we hang up, I toss the phone to the bed and turn around in his arms.

He pecks my lips before he says, "I feel awful that you're not there with them."

My brows twitch together as I give him a pointed look, "I don't know why, since it was my decision to be here.. And I want to be here."

"I know. Just feel bad you're missing it," he sighs, and I know it's probably just a combination of everything he's feeling right now.

I'm not able to do or say anything though, because his eyes light up and he breaks away from me the next second. I watch as snatches three of the roses from the bouquet that I had put in a glass of water, because I'm classy, and dig through his bag.

"What are you doing?" I ask confused, but he just takes them into the bathroom with whatever he had in his bag and closes the door without a word.

...Uh?

I stay still in my spot, not knowing if I should move or not. I genuinely have no idea what he could be doing right now.

He comes back out with something being held behind his back, a grin on his face. I watch him with unsure eyes as he approaches me. He looks at the floor for a moment, before he clears his throat and says, "So um.. I was obviously going to get you a nice one when I got home.. And I was going to go all out for tonight. I wanted you to feel special."

I have no idea what he's referring too, but I assure him anyway, "You always make me feel special, Finn."

"Yeah, but I wanted tonight to be different," he shrugs, as if everything he does isn't more than enough. Even him going and making my coffee this morning while I was talking to Morgan made me feel like a fucking princess.

Before I can question him anymore, he pulls the object from behind his back. It's a makeshift corsage.

My hand goes to my mouth as I look at it in his hands. He took a couple of his hair ties and taped them together so it's a bigger band. The roses are cut from their stems and held to the hair bands with his hockey tape. I could fucking cry.

My eye well up as I look back at him, seeing him watching me carefully, studying my reaction. How is this man so caring? So thoughtful?

I basically jump on him, latching my arms around his neck. He stumbles for a moment and lets out a light laugh, his arm hooking around me as he holds onto me tightly. "I love you so much, my sweet boy. You're just- God. What the fuck?"

"I know it's shitty, and I really wish I could of gotten you a nicer one or-"

"Shut up!" I exclaim, pulling away from him to grip onto his cheeks. "I love it, Finn. It's- It's perfect. It's absolutely perfect. And it means the world to me that you even thought about doing it. Here, put it on me."

I take a step back and hold my wrist out, waiting for him to slide it on. He does carefully, a proud smile on his face as he does. "I tried to cut off all the thorns so that they wouldn't hurt you. You're not getting pricked, eh?"

"No, I'm not. It's seriously perfect, Finn," I say, wiping the dumb stray tear that fell onto my cheek. This is just the sweetest thing that anyone has ever done for me. Between it being my favorite flower and the hockey tape holding it all together - I can't. It's everything I love. He's everything I love.

I admire it on my wrist as he slides his phone from his pants pocket, but I'm not even really paying attention to what he's doing. I'm too busy staring at my corsage. I couldn't picture anything better, and I truly mean that.

He catches my attention when a song starts playing from his phone, so I look up at him with confused eyes. I know the song, but I'm shocked he does. It's called She by Jake Scott.

I give him a weary look, and he's back to looking insecure and embarrassed. "You know this song?"

"I heard you listening to it when you were getting ready once. It stuck out because it's exactly how I feel about you," he shrugs shyly. Well, here come the tears again. "And since we aren't going to be able to in a sticky room filled with teenagers at prom.. I'm going to ask you now. Will you dance with me?"

"Oh, this is so cliche," I grin. I'm so fucking overwhelmed right now.

"Never stopped us before," he shrugs, before taking my arms and placing them around his neck. "No, but it definitely tops everything we've ever done."

He just smiles as his hands go to my waist and he pulls me in, keeping me close as we start to sway to the song I've listened to a hundred times, but it now has a deeper meaning. He's really thinks of me when he hears this song?

She's a bullet that's about to fire, she's the steady that'll keep you sane.
If love's a fool then I'm a liar, I know she's the only way.

She sees colors that I can't see
And she knows me, even when I don't
She knows where she goes
I will go because I'm home, where she's

Fuck, I'm crying again.

I sniffle as I press my cheek to his chest by his shoulder, feeling the coarse material of his suit jacket and keeping my arms around his neck loosely as we continue to dance lightly. My eyes are closed as we sway in the hotel room, neither of us saying a word as we listen to the lyrics of the song. This is so much better than any slow dance at a stupid prom.

She's the wild wood leaves in autumn
The look toward home you forgot
She's on her side you're never letting go
She has the power to save you
The only one who's got enough of you to break you
When she fights with fire she wraps around your soul, cause

I've never heard this touch before
The kind that taught me what my eyes were for
Every piece of her I just want more
She's the one I can't ignore

My arms tighten around his neck as I try to get him closer, trying to get him to know how much this means to me; how much he means to me. This is by far the sweetest thing anyone has ever done and hearing the song that makes him think of me is making me feel like I'm going to just break down.

Just as the bridge of the song is about to come on, he pulls me away from him and grips his hand onto my jaw like he's done since the first time we kissed. His eyes meet mine and the weight behind them is suffocating. He looks so free, so happy, so loving. He can tell a fucking novel with those green bad boys he has, and it's one I'd read a hundred times through.

His forehead presses to mine before our cheeks do the same, our noses brushing as both of our eyes flutter shut. "I love you," he whispers once again, but just like always, it never gets old. I'm pretty positive we could be wrinkly and gray at the age of 96 and it would still not feel old. "I love you, Finnegan. So fucking much."

He captures my lips before the last word could even leave my lips and it's so full of love of adoration that it knocks the wind out of me. Between his lips moving against mine and the song that I'm going to listen to everyday now playing, I think it's safe to say that I am going to be the one who needs the defibrillator after all.

Ooh
You showed me lovely
Ooh
You showed me lovely
You showed me lovely, o-oh

She sees colors that I can't see
And she knows me, even when I don't
She knows where she goes
I will go because I'm home, where she's

*

Finn is all over the NHL's social media right now.

It's not everyday that a rookie's first game is in the playoffs, especially someone who hasn't even played a full season in the minors. I know that he probably feels a lot of the pressure and I'm hoping for his sake he's stayed off socials for the time being.

After our little slow dance, it was time for him to head to the arena. Although we were making out for at least half of the song we danced too, I gave him a huge kiss and the tightest hug I could, reminding him to stay grounded during the game and to just focus on the task at hand. I'm just glad that this is a home game for the Sharks because Finn definitely feeds off the crowd well, as does most players.

I know he's going to do great, he just has to believe it too.

It's been years since I've been to an NHL game and although AHL ones are pretty close, nothing is better than being here. Especially for a playoff game. I'm sitting in the stands, up in the high 100s with Morgan and Ms. Wilder. We're waiting for them to come on for warm ups and the three of us are just gushing with excitement.

I'm wearing Finn's San Jose jersey again, which I brought with me since it was still hanging in my room from the playoff game. Morgan is wearing one of Finn's Thunderbirds jerseys while Ms. Wilder is wearing one of his sweatshirts and a San Jose hat. I can't believe we're here. I can't believe how things worked out.

Cam sent me a picture of the computer he literally has set up at their table at prom. He said that people in our grade keep coming up to him and asking if they can join in and watch, to which he's obviously saying sure too. It's nice to know that people back home want to watch Finn and want him to succeed.

He also told me that he was the one who had counted the votes for Prom King and Queen, which happened at the last day of school and is being announced tonight. He said that Finn won by an landslide, but since he's not there they're giving it to the guy who was runner up, which is unfortunately Colin. He said he was going to let Colin know that Finn won though. I love him so much and his petty ass.

He told me that Sophie won Queen, but he hasn't told her obviously. In a selfish way, I'm kind of glad that Finn and I aren't there, because now I'm the one with the jealousy issues and I'm not sure how fun it would be to watch him slow dance with another girl, even though it'd be Sophie. I love Sophie and she's pretty much dating Cam, but still. I'm allowing myself to be a bit possessive over Finn lately.

The warm up song starts to blare through the arena and the crowd starts to go nuts, the atmosphere in here a thousand times louder than back at the T-Birds game, which I didn't even think was possible. I get goosebumps up my arms as I move to the edge of my seat, waiting to see my boy skate onto NHL ice for the first time. There are fans crowded around the glass with signs and cheers, excited to see their favorite team play for the Cup and I just can't wait for him to see how crazy it is out here.

A few moments later the crowd erupts by the tunnel and not even a second later, Finn emerges and takes a jump onto the ice alone, the teal Sharks jersey adoring his body. The three of us stand up with loud and obnoxious shouts as he does his solo lap for his first game, a tradition that has happened in the NHL for as long as I can personally remember.

The crowd is going crazy for him and it warms my heart to see him looking around as he nears the tunnel again, shaking his head as he takes it in. He looks so good in his San Jose gear. He looks like he's exactly where he belongs.

Once he's finished his lap, the rest of the team comes out and the crowd goes even crazier. It's so weird not seeing him with the Thunderbirds, without Casey and Jack. I've become so accustomed to seeing him in his blue, grey, green Thunderbirds ensemble but I have to admit, the black and teal suits him much more.

I take a video of him doing drills on the ice to post on my Instagram story, purely because of how proud I am of him and I want to show him off. I have a pretty awesome boyfriend.

He's definitely getting more relaxed as he's warming up and it makes me really happy to see the other guys talking to him and practicing with him. He told me that they were all very welcoming from the second he walked into the dressing room for the first time yesterday, but still. He doesn't feel like an outsider and that's really, really important.

My eyes don't leave him the entire time he's out there for warmups and I just can't wait for the game to start once he's back down the tunnel.

"I don't think I'm going to have a voice tomorrow," I tell Morgan after I clear my throat. It feels scratchy already and he's only just come out for warmups.

"Screaming like a lunatic is easy when you're here," she tells me, her smile that looks just like Finn's lighting up her face. "I'd be embarrassed if you weren't."

I offer up my hand with a goofy smile, to which she takes and I lock our fingers together. "It's a good thing that we're in this together, then."

She nods with a grin before Ms. Wilder leans over Morgan. "Serious question.. If I pass out, do you think you guys can handle carrying me out to the car?"

We laugh at her while she looks at us with an elated smile, her head shaking in disbelief. "I'm not sure I can handle this. Just seeing him on the ice in that jersey did me in more than I can handle."

"They're going to need to bring us out on the stretchers they have," I respond. "I feel like my heart is going to give out."

About a half hour later, the players come out again and my eyes once again go to Finn. He looks much more relaxed, although I don't think anyone who doesn't know him would of thought he never was. But now I can just tell his confidence has skyrocketed. Now he's ready to play.

Everyone stands for the anthem and he's at the bench, his head hung low as he grips onto the top of his stick and shifts on his skates. He's probably really in his head now. He just wants to do well. I know he will, though. And just like at the first playoff game for the T-Birds, I wish I could just tell him that he's going to be great. But I think he knows that's what I'm thinking right now. I hope he can feel it.

We all sit once the song is finished and Finn sits on the bench, one of his teammates bumping his shoulder and giving him an excited smile. Seeing him with players that I've watched on TV playing is surreal in itself.

This place is booming with how loud the crowd is and I really don't think there's anything I love more than playoff hockey. Everyone is so enthralled in the game and we're all here to celebrate a sport we all love so dearly. The only difference now is that I'm here to watch someone I love even more.

After about two minutes of play, his coach taps his shoulder a few times and I hit Morgan, "He's going in!"

He told me that his coach was telling him that on his first shift, his job is to get himself involved and make his presence known. Throw a couple hits, even though that's really not the kind of identity he has as a player, and just keep up with the game play, maybe even throw a shot at the net if he has one. I know that that's what's on his mind as he hops over the ledge to get into the game.

He joins his line and the crowd cheers him on encouragingly, us obviously doing the same. I feel like a ball full of pride while watching him.

If he's nervous, he's fucking phenomenal at hiding it because he is very calm and collected right now. He's scanning the play and jumps into a full skate across the blue line. I'm confused as to where he's going until I see one of the Golden Knights, the team they're competing against, pass the puck. Finn had anticipated it and throws the hardest check I've ever seen him throw at the guy who just received the puck into the boards, causing him tumble to the ice. The crowd goes absolutely insane and the three of us jump to our feet, cheering and clapping as he grabs the puck and passes it to his teammate.

He goes back to the bench shortly after and is pretty out of breath but he looks to be in pretty good shape as his teammates start bumping into him while they sit. He definitely made an impression during his first shift, that's for sure.

"I genuinely didn't even know he was that strong," Morgan says next to me, her head shaking.

...I did.

I keep the comment to myself but have to roll my lips into my mouth to stop myself from smiling.

It's a really fun game, and Finn is doing fantastic. He's creating chances and getting involved, doing all of the really important things that don't make it on the score sheet. I still can't believe how consistently loud it's been for the entire duration of the game, even after the Knights scored. The score is 3-2 now and the Sharks are winning. 

The third period started a few minutes ago and the Knights are picking up some speed. The Sharks are giving the puck away a lot and there are a stupid amount of turnovers happening. And to make things worse, one of the forwards for the Sharks just received a high sticking penalty, so now they're down a man. The Knights have an outstanding power play so needless to say, the next two minutes could really change the course of the entire game.

About forty seconds of the play goes by and the same line, including Finn, is still stuck on the ice. They're definitely getting extremely tired and I have an awful feeling that Vegas is going to score right now, but the Sharks keep throwing themselves in front of the puck each time it's shot at the net in a desperate attempt to keep it out.

The puck is fumbled a bit in a cluster that's right in front of the net, before all of a sudden Finn emerges from it with the puck cradled in his stick. I have no fucking idea how he got it, but he has it and now he's heading towards the other end of the ice.

We all stand as he races down at an obnoxious speed, attracting three of the Vegas players to him like he's a magnet. I think he's going to drive straight towards the net to shoot, but he doesn't and just skates along the entire length of the boards, around the net and all, causing the Knights to chase after him. The rest of the Sharks that are exhausted from their long shift get to change, a fresh group coming out as Finn holds the puck to the boards with his stick and keeping himself planted as the Knights kick at it and try to knock him down.

I'm screaming at the top of my fucking lungs with everyone around me as Finn single handedly kills this penalty off, the three of us losing our God damn minds over how well he's handling the now four guys who are trying to get the puck from him.

It's kicked from his stick, but he somehow turns over the guy to his right and gets the puck again, continuing to skate circles around the guys as they literally have to chase after him. He's stopping short and dekeing out of the way when they have him surrounded, just narrowly slipping past them right when they're about to get to him. He's so fucking fast.

Finn finally is able to pass it to a teammate who is fresh on the ice and makes his way to the bench, where the rest of his team is banging their sticks roughly against the boards to cheer for him along with all of the fans.

There's not one person sitting down as he collapses onto the bench in pure exhaustion, his arms hanging over the ledge of the boards as he desperately tries to catch his breath. The crowd is roaring with excitement as the chant starts, and Morgan, Ms. Wilder, and I don't miss a beat to join in.

"Wi-ld! Wi-ld! Wi-ld!"

The power play is only seconds from being over, and Finn just saved the fucking game. He held his own against four professional NHL players and literally out skated all of them for a full minute.

I mean, I know I've experienced his stamina first hand but yeesh.

His team is roughing him around as he still tries to catch his breath, even his coach coming over and giving him a slap on the back, and I wonder if he can even hears the crowd chanting his name right now, or if he's still disassociated. It's pretty hard to miss considering how fucking loud it is but he seems pretty out of it and like he can't breathe at the moment.

Jesus Christ, I'm crying again.

The three of us are holding hands as we continue to cheer along with the crowd for our boy, who finally looks like he's not going to just pass out.

He's a fucking superstar.

He's not just living his dream. He's making it his fucking bitch.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

157K 2K 69
Dog park love connection (This started as a one shot but has turned into a story)
32K 131 34
what happens when a girl bumps into a famous hockey player? Will she fall in love just like every other love story or just stay friends?
20K 370 31
Since they were kids Everly and Ryot have been best friends, but as they got older Everly fell in love with him, and she couldn't take the pain of se...
652 5 30
"The water hears and understands. The ice does not forgive." They met age five, tiny, stumbling to pull the weight of tiny hockey bags stuffed full...