The Heirs

De shruthii

"Do you have a death wish? You cannot seriously be thinking of going there? That place, those people... they... Mais

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 01 - RUNAWAY BRIDE
CHAPTER 02 - LIES
CHAPTER 03 - ARCTIC BLUE EYES
CHAPTER 04 - KING'S PET
CHAPTER 05 - KIDNAPPED
CHAPTER 06 - STAR ESSENCE
CHAPTER 07 - VENGEFUL PREDATOR
CHAPTER 08 - DECISIONS
CHAPTER 09 - HOUND
CHAPTER 10 - MISLEAD
CHAPTER 11 - THE GRANDPARENTS
CHAPTER 12 - THE CHILDREN
CHAPTER 13 - LIGHTNING BOLT
CHAPTER 15 - SHE IS MINE
CHAPTER 16 - HER NAME
CHAPTER 17 - LYCORIANS
CHAPTER 18 - PURE SOUL
CHAPTER 19 - REGRETS
CHAPTER 20 - PLANS
CHAPTER 21 - MR BLACK
CHAPTER 22 - SECRETS
CHAPTER 23 - FRENEMIES
CHAPTER 24 - TRUST
CHAPTER 25 - BOON
CHAPTER 26 - HOUSE OF CARDS
CHAPTER 27 - COLLATERAL DAMAGE
CHAPTER 28 - DISRESPECT
CHAPTER 29 - CHOICE
CHAPTER 30 - CONTROL
CHAPTER 31 - GAMES
CHAPTER 32 - FOCUSED
CHAPTER 33 - TWO MOTHER'S TALES
CHAPTER 34 - REASON WITH
CHAPTER 35 - LIBERI
CHAPTER 36 - WHO PLAYED WHOM?

CHAPTER 14 - ESCAPE

2.1K 136 121
De shruthii

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY :D:D

And you must know that I love posting on my birthday. So, here is a very long chapter and it is dedicated to @bloomai245

****

SESAME SEEDS AND OIL:

It's called 'Til' in Hindi & 'Ellu' in Kannada. The laddu (ellu unde) made out of this is my all-time favourite! Sesame seeds are very rich in protein and iron, especially the black ones and rich in iron means it is recommended for those suffering from anemia. It's also good for oral health as sesame oil helps removing dental plaque and helps whiten your teeth.

The sesame seed oil has anti-inflammatory properties that are vital in healing redness, sores and other skin issues like cracked heels. On a lazy weekend, just massage your whole body with sesame oil, leave it for an hour and then take a shower, it feels awesome!

One more benefit of sesame seed oil is that it encourages hair growth by combatting dryness and flakiness of scalp while also restoring the moisture. Also, it's known to prevent premature greying of hair.

____

"That's the funny thing about trying to escape. You never really can. Maybe temporarily, but not completely."
Jennifer L. Armentrout, Onyx

____

CHAPTER 14 – ESCAPE

Cyane couldn't sleep.

After a simple dinner, she had been trying to fall asleep when she was woken up by the boisterous roar of thunder. It was so loud and angry that she had immediately rushed towards the window. She regretted missing the lightning cracks on the sky and had patiently waited for another roar of thunder, but it never happened.

With a pout, she had climbed back to bed and had tried in vain for the past two hours to try to sleep. She couldn't sleep and she knew it was so because she had slept for three hours in the afternoon.

She couldn't help herself. It was so boring here that she had immediately fallen asleep after lunch. Even after waking up, she had tried to entertain herself by watching television in Xan's house but that too got boring after a point.

Grayson's younger brother had come in the evening to entertain her and that boy liked to talk a lot. Cyane smiled when she thought about him because she liked him. He was sweet and kind and very considerate. He even brought her an ice-cream tub.

Her mouth watered when she recalled the fig flavoured ice-cream tub. It was still in the refrigerator. Maybe after having it, she could try to sleep.

Pushing off the covers, she got up from the bed but paused before setting her foot on the floor. Brody, who was watching over her, was fast asleep in the Xanthos's other room and she didn't want to wake him up. Which is why, she levitated before moving towards the door and after opening the locks, she slowly pushed it open to peep outside.

It was completely dark and her night vision wasn't as great as wolves, but the only scent she could catch in the house was that of Brody's. Her lips compressed to form a thin line when she grasped that Xanthos hadn't returned yet. Through Brody and Jayson's conversation, she had come to know that the king had sent Xanthos and Grayson to Crescere, to the abandoned factory, to find some proofs about the recent attack on Crown Prince Saint.

It had taken great effort to feign ignorance when Brody shared that the king had asked them to find clues about the girl who had been with Saint. It shook her to know that the king had been aware that his son was with some girl. How long before they get to her? Xanthos had been in the building that day and eventually, he too would realize that she was the one he is looking for.

That was the moment she had decided to escape from this place tomorrow and go back to Yolanda's house. It was safer and nicer there. She just needed confirmation from Minerva and then she would leave.

It had been more than a week since the attack and she highly doubted her scent would still be in the air, but she still prayed Xanthos wouldn't figure out the truth, just yet! Though Grayson had been asked to go along, he hadn't gone with him, instead, Jayson had revealed that his brother had gone to South Coast as he had some work there.

Pushing the door, a bit further, Cyane glided out and then drifted towards the refrigerator. Back in the palace, she just had to call her maid and then, a tub of ice-cream would have been brought into the dining room in her wing. It would have been neatly set in a ceramic bowl for her to eat.

Sighing, she pulled the fridge door and after picking up the ice-cream tub, she closed it quietly and looked towards the other room. There was no light coming from there and neither could she hear Brody snoring but she was glad Brody wasn't awake yet.

She hesitated while picking up a spoon from the spoon holder. However, was relieved to see that it was stainless steel. Iron in raw or rusted form was fatal to fairies but steel they could handle easily.

Holding the tub in her arms, she glided towards the round table and sat atop it, while her feet rested on the chair. Through the floor-length window, she looked outside and noticed that the moon was high up in the sky along with countless stars. Then why that out of blue thunder?

Shrugging, she opened the lid and beamed when she saw the buttery ice-cream with finely chopped and roasted fig slices in it. Heaven!

Digging in her spoon, she collected a golf ball-sized scoop and opening her mouth wide, took in a bite. She tried not to moan as she closed her eyes and delighted in the cold, natural flavour of the ice-cream.

As she ate the ice-cream in the silence of the living room, she could hear the sounds of people laughing and fighting in the street below. She didn't know what was going on and she wasn't in the mood to go and inspect because they all sounded drunk. People in this street were... weird. Though they kept to themselves, they still made her uncomfortable. Maybe it's because she was new or maybe it's all in her head, Cyane wasn't sure but she was sure that she didn't feel at home in a place like this.

Lysander's place was quiet and peaceful and she had liked it there. Here, there was noise 24x7 and it was not something she was used to or could get used to.

Suddenly, all the laughing and chattering came to an abrupt stop and Cyane frowned, wondering what happened. As she continued to bite on her ice-cream, she tried to focus but couldn't guess anything.

She dug in her spoon again and tried to collect as big a scoop as possible when the door to the apartment opened. Cyane stiffened and sat up straight, tense and ready to attack, until the door was pushed open and Xanthos stepped into the room, looking tired and angry.

He paused when he saw her and Cyane relaxed until Xanthos switched on the light. She blinked, taking time to adjust to the bright light and noticed that he was watching her with furrowed brows. He was wearing the same clothes as earlier in the day and was holding the now crumpled jacket in a fist.

It was at that moment, she realized she was wearing one of his grey coloured t-shirts. After showering in the evening, Cyane felt uncomfortable to wear the same top which Minerva had given her the previous day and so, she had picked up one of his t-shirts from the closet and it hung loose on her skinny frame. Of course, he noticed what she was wearing and Cyane could have sworn, she saw his eyes turning almost black. Thankfully, she had the sense to wear the same jeans even though she thoroughly disliked jeans.

She gulped the moment their eyes clashed and as he walked towards her, her heart thumped wildly in her chest. When she ducked her head to avoid his gaze and calm herself, she noticed the ice-cream tub and the spoon in her hand. Holding up the spoon, she raised her head when he stopped right in front of the chair, she had leaned on. It stood as a barrier between them and she was grateful for the distance because sitting atop the table, she came on an eye-level with him.

His scent was exquisite and it was driving her crazy, tingling every nerve in her body.

He looked at the ice-cream scoop and then raised his lashes to look at her with a questioning brow. Extending her arm towards his mouth, she smiled but felt it came out more like a grimace.

What was he doing to her? What kind of magic was this?

He stared at her for a long time, in which she felt her cheeks heating up. Leaning forward and without taking his eyes off her, he took a large bite of the ice-cream from the spoon she had extended towards him. Cyane inhaled sharply and it was a miracle she didn't drop the spoon then and there!

Instead, she pressed her thumb harder on the spoon as she put it back in the tub all the while trying to remind herself to breathe normally.

He ate from the spoon. He ate from the same spoon while watching me! Why did I extend the spoon?

That thought alone paused all further thoughts. When she noticed a small drop of cream on his lips, she raised her hand.

Xanthos didn't rear back but stiffened when he noticed her fingers mere inches from his lips. It was enough to get her brain back to function and when she dropped her hand, he licked the cream from his lips.

Cyane almost groaned when she saw that, however, she held herself back and then shaking her head, she kept the tub back on the table and ran into her room.

___

The next morning, Cyane was woken up by a loud knock and once again, she scowled when she saw Miki's grinning face. Theos! This would be another bad day.

Miki's grin turned to a frown when he noticed she was wearing Xanthos's shirt.

"Why the hell is she wearing your shirt?" he demanded from Xanthos who was sitting on the couch and watching T.V with Brody.

"In case you forgot, do I need to remind you how she ended up here?" Brody countered and Miki walked away, not bothering to reply.

"Well, she does need clothes" Brody murmured as he watched her and Cyane flushed even though she knew there was nothing sexual in his gaze. He was a big guy and he probably thought of her as a bug.

Her flush deepened when she met Xanthos's heated gaze. With a hesitant smile, she nodded and then closed the door and went back in to freshen up.

When she stepped out again, she was surprised to see that all of Xanthos's friends were in the living room. Grayson and his brother were already seated on the round table along with Brody, while Miki and Xanthos were sitting on the couch and having breakfast.

"Hi" Jayson waved at her and she noticed he was wearing his school uniform. She smiled at him but was hesitant to go near. She didn't want to sit next to Xanthos in the couch because he made her feel strange things.

"Your breakfast is here" Miki pointed at two paper bags and Cyane narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Why were they having breakfast here?

Her stomach growled at that moment and hesitantly Cyane walked towards the couch and sat at the other end, far from Xanthos. She felt his gaze on her but feigned ignorance as she picked up the paper bag. Inside it was chickpea scramble. The other bag had fruits. It was a vegan breakfast and Cyane loved the chickpea scramble.

"Why did you get the breakfast here?" Grayson asked Miki while eating his scrambled eggs.

Miki took a sip of his juice and then answered, "Guys were all staring at her... so I thought it's better—"

"Since when do you care?" Brody interrupted and it was exactly what Cyane wanted to ask.

"I don't" Miki shrugged. "I just thought this is a better option than answering questions about the new girl."

"They are asking about her?" Xanthos questioned tersely and something in his voice, spiked Cyane's interest.

"Yes. They all want to know about your new girl" Miki smirked looking at her and she didn't like what he implied with that one sentence. While Xanthos growled, Miki rolled his eyes but Cyane watched as he stabbed his fork a bit forcefully on his eggs.

"Speaking of girls, did you find about anything about the girl King asked for?" Brody questioned Xanthos and Cyane turned rigid in her seat. She had a hard time swallowing the papaya slices.

"Nothing. The place was completely clean. It looked new" Xanthos replied. Cyane was glad to hear that bit.

"Ash" Brody said flatly and Xanthos nodded. "Why is the king targeting a girl? What would she know? For all of Saint's track record, I believe he had dumped the girl near some street."

"She was with Saint when he was kidnapped by Ash" Grayson shared as Cyane continued eating. "The king is just amazed her body wasn't in the building. However, I believe she has taken her chance and escaped during the fight."

"Possible" Miki murmured and Cyane closed her eyes as she recalled how much wolves she had brought down before being forcefully asked to leave.

"If she had escaped, someone must have seen her, right?" Brody asked.

"Xanthos and Karl hadn't and there are no other survivors, except for Saint who is..." Grayson trailed off.

"I hope the brat doesn't wake up for a year or two" Miki murmured and Cyane was surprised to hear that come from Miki of all the people. He didn't like Saint!

"Miki" Xanthos warned.

"What? Can you imagine what is going to happen if that little fucker sits on the throne?" Miki demanded. "He is going to have us executed each other just for sport."

"He is still a better option than Sage, who must never be brought out of asylum" Brody stated with a frown in his face and Cyane furrowed her brows.

Sage— The king and queen's youngest son. Mad. Evil. Psychopath. That's the word Minerva had used to describe him. While Saint is a womanizer, Sage is an absolute lunatic. He is someone who enjoys killing puppies.

Minerva had told her that Sage had first killed the palace nanny when he was just eight years old. A problematic child right from the start, he has been a danger to his own family, when he had once pushed Saint from the stairs for stealing his chocolates.

By the time he was fifteen, he had killed twice as much as his age. It was partly because of him that the king's reputation in the kingdom had begun to ruin. When Sage's murders couldn't be covered up anymore— mostly because wolves refused to work in the palace where he was around— the king had tearfully admitted to the citizens that his psychotic son was about to undergo treatment in an asylum far away from the kingdom and since then, Sage was locked up in the asylum.

No one had visited him in the asylum and those who work there, are the loyalists to the throne. At the moment he is not a threat, but that doesn't mean he must be spared. When we take over the kingdom, papa had specifically mentioned that it's Sage who must be killed first, then Saint.

Cyane remembered seeing his photo. There was something dead in his eyes. Something so dark and gloomy that showed there was no hope for anything more. Lost cause— that's what Sage Winthrop was and those who tried to show him the way, would end up dead.

"That royal family is so messed up," Miki said shaking his head. "Please don't talk about them during breakfast. You will ruin my whole day and I have great plans to make this an awesome day."

"It's a Monday" Jayson deadpanned. "Monday's can never be awesome."

"I have worked hard to make today awesome" Miki smirked and as Cyane looked up, she noticed that his carnelian eyes were fixed on her. She had a bad feeling about it...

Xanthos's phone ran at the moment and keeping his plate on the coffee table, he went into the kitchen to take the call.

Miki pulled his phone out and typed something before dropping his phone on the table. When he looked up, his eyes darkened mischievously and Cyane furrowed her brows. He has done something or he was planning to do something bad, she was sure of it.

Her heart thudded in her chest and she felt uneasy... like something bad was about to happen.

Jayson who had already finished his breakfast left to his school after waving goodbye to her. Soon after Grayson too went downstairs. Brody stood up and said something but Cyane was too lost to hear it.

Someone snapped their fingers in front of her face and blinking, Cyane looked up to see at Xanthos who was staring at her questioningly. When her eyes met his, colour framed her cheeks and her heart thudded. He just... he was there with her and somehow, he made her feel better.

Yesterday, when he had been away, she had felt weird the whole day like she was missing something and when he had returned home late at night, she had been relieved to see that he was alright. Maybe that's why I offered him my ice-cream...

As she recalled the way he had eaten the ice-cream from her spoon, something stirred low in her belly and Cyane shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Inappropriate thoughts.

Shaking her head, she picked up the glass of water and drank it, while Xanthos picked up his plate and went to sit on the table.

He was about to take a bite, but stopped and stood up tersely. Miki did too and Brody who was about to leave, rushed out, ready to attack.

Heated arguments could be heard from downstairs and Cyane furrowed her brows, wondering if it was any of the couple living in the building.

Brody returned immediately and called for Xan through gritted teeth. However, his eyes kept drifting towards her.

When Xanthos walked towards the door, Cyane stood up as well.

"What the hell? How did she—" Xanthos paused and then turned to glare at someone behind her. Cyane followed his gaze to Miki, who was calmly enjoying his breakfast.

Who is she?

There was a click-clack sound of heels followed by loud footsteps.

"I told you, you are not welcome here" Grayson was growling when he reached the top of the stairs, near Xan's apartment. The footsteps stopped all of a sudden.

"Xan," a feminine voice said in a sigh and Cyane moved towards the door, where Xanthos's large frame was blocking her view.

It was the way the woman said Xanthos's name— like it was very personal— that instantly irked Cyane. She wanted to see the woman's face but Brody and Xan were both blocking her view.

"Why are you here?" Xan demanded in an unfriendly voice.

"I had been looking for you for months. You just left—" there was a wobbly note in that voice and Cyane furrowed her brows in anger.

"We were not a couple. You knew the rules, Everly. It was just a one-time thing" Xanthos reminded coldly and Cyane sucked in a breath as if she had been sucker-punched, by an angry, powerful fist.

She felt the blood draining away from her body onto the floor and every nerve in her body hurt as if poked by needles. Her heart was breaking but it shouldn't have happened because she didn't know Xanthos at all. How could she be attached to Xanthos when she has never even had a proper conversation with him? What does she know about him? She had been only attracted to him by his looks... yet, how did he get the power to hurt her like this? He was a stranger to her and yet, she felt like he had betrayed her in some way.

That was wrong. So wrong. She had no right to feel like that. Yet, her heart refused to listen to the sensible advice of her brain.

When she had come to know Gian was in love with Lucy, she had been relieved not heartbroken like this. The strange thing she was feeling that had her shaking and her eyes feeling scratchy disconcerted her.

However, she refused to give in to her urge to curl up into a ball and cry. She was better than that! Her grandmamma had taught her to be better than that.

It took all the energy left in her to maintain a straight, impassive face especially when she could feel several pairs of eyes on her.

"But we were so good and I thought what we had was special" Everly whined and Miki scoffed, while Cyane's throat convulsed. She was certain she was going to puke all over the house.

She didn't want to hear this and she didn't want to see the woman's face. Xanthos had a past and she would rather it was out of her sight, so it would be out of her mind for she knew, if she saw the woman's face, she would be haunted.

"Get out" Xanthos hissed.

"Please" Brody sneered, "Last week, I saw how eager you were to spread your legs for Finch."

"No. That meant nothing" the Everly character cried defensively. "I was drunk and thought it was you."

Xanthos laughed and so did his friends. Blinking and shaking her head in disgust, Cyane turned away only to look at Miki who was watching her carefully. He had set this up and he had hit the mark. Cyane was too deflated to be confident.

All the feelings she was going through was so wrong. She had no right, none-so-ever over Xanthos and she knew that. Yet, she couldn't stop feeling like she had been wronged in some way.

Stupid. Stupid Cyane. How could you do this to yourself? Xanthos, his messed-up life choices and his equally messed-up friends have nothing to do with you. Remember, you are here only to distract them from going after Minerva. Even more than that... remember, you have a goal to get the star essence out. So, focus on that!

"I swear, it meant nothing to me. But you do... I love you" Everly cried and Cyane gritted her teeth. If that woman said it one more time...

"Leave, before you are forcefully escorted out," Xanthos said and then turned.

"Xan, listen to me—" Everly paused and wondering why, Cyane raised her head to look up and then, she saw her.

She was tall, beautiful, curvy and blonde. Everything Cyane was not. Clad in plaid leggings and a halter neck crop top, she swept into the room and fixed angry brown eyes on Xanthos before looking at Cyane.

"Who is she?" Everly demanded, pointing an accusing finger at Cyane.

"None of your business" Xanthos hissed, clearly pissed off.

"So, this is the skank you ditched me for?" Everly asked in a shrill voice, running her eyes distastefully over Cyane's slender frame and Cyane frowned, disliking being called that.

How is she a skank? Why is she a skank?

"If you call her that one more time, I will wrap that chameleon tongue of yours around your pencil neck" Xanthos threatened as Grayson held Everly's arm and tried to drag her away.

"Leave me" She freed herself from Grayson's hold and then, glared at Cyane again. "You brought her into your house, she is that important? You wouldn't even give me your number or address."

"Leave Everly. You are only embarrassing yourself" Brody said sharply as Grayson once again tried to hold her.

"Don't touch me" she shouted as she stepped away from Grayson and whirled to face Cyane. "Are you into skin sticks now? What has this skank got that I haven't?"

And to everyone's surprise, Everly pushed past Xanthos and then roughly shoved Cyane against the nearest wall. When her long fingers, with their sharp nails, were mere inches from Cyane's face, she was yanked back by Xanthos, who held her wrist and pulled her away.

Stunned by the sudden, unexpected feral attack, Cyane blinked and her eyes flashed dangerously as she felt anger bubbling up inside her.

Who was this woman? How dare the woman attack her?

She was a princess and people thought twice before even talking to her.

"Get. Out" Xanthos said in an animalistic voice, while Grayson stood protectively in front of Cyane. As Cyane watched Everly sobbing against Xanthos's chest and begging him to take her back, she felt her every skin cell in her body warming up in rage.

She didn't want to see this... and now, that she did. She wanted to smash. Break. Burn!

"I will take care of her" Brody said, standing behind Everly who was trying her best to cling to Xanthos.

When Brody tried to drag Everly away she began screaming abuses at Cyane and furious, Cyane pushed herself off the wall and glared at her. Clenching her fists, she walked in a slow, threatening pace to Everly who immediately stopped fighting Brody.

Brody gaped at Cyane while she stared down the other woman.

Cyane had some very cutting words at the edge of her tongue. Words, she knew would destroy the self-confidence of Everly, but she wasn't brought up to behave that way and so she glared at Everly until she visibly shrank from the ferocity of her gaze.

Everly paled and gulped while Cyane looked at her in disdain. Her amethyst eyes conveying her message loud and clear- Behave! You are only embarrassing yourself.

Lowering her head, Everly let Brody drag her out.

When they were out of the room, Xanthos glared at Miki who slowly moved away from the bedroom door.

Cyane's hands were burning up uncontrollably and the energy flaming inside her was becoming harder and harder to be pushed inside. She was furious. How dare the woman attack her? How dare she call her names? And how dare she hug Xanthos?

Her hands were trembling and it was becoming harder to hold back the energy that was threatening to burst out. She tucked her hands behind her back and took a deep breath to calm herself but it was not working.

The veins in her neck hurt and so did her shoulder blades. It was a sign that her wings would come out on their own and she needed to get away before she could harm these wolves.

There was an uneasy silence in the room and Grayson chuckled nervously, to break it. "She is crazy" Grayson circled his fingers near his temple so that his message could come across Cyane.

It was very hard— especially when she could feel icy blue eyes on her— and so, Cyane did not smile when she looked at Grayson. It would have been fake. Grayson smiled sadly and it felt like a kick in the teeth.

She didn't want to look at Xanthos but it was inevitable and so, with supreme strength, she forced herself to meet his gaze. His face betrayed nothing, which is why neither did she show her anger or sadness.

He had hurt her and the worst part was Cyane knew she had no right to feel like that. Her anger was completely misplaced but the fact that she had to witness what happened today was like a much-needed wake-up call. The wolves here were completely different from her kind and it would do her good if she stayed away from their claws.

It's okay. Lesson learnt... she tried to soothe herself. Remember why you are here. Remember why you are here. Remember why you are here. She kept chanting in her head.

Though Xanthos's face revealed no secrets, his posture was rigid and he kept clenching and unclenching his fists, a sign that he what happened just now had made him angry. Very angry.

It did the same to her too and when she felt the energy spread all over her body, she looked away from Xanthos and her eyes met Miki's. The always confident carnelian eyes now looked unsure. Shooting him a bitter smile and hiding her hand away from their gaze, Cyane quietly walked into the bedroom.

Slamming the door would have been a waste and so she quietly locked it from the inside.

Once there, she noticed that her trembling hands were glowing a bright purple. Staring at them, she took a few cautious steps into the room and stood near the bed. Xanthos's bed. He had slept here. Alone? Or with many other Everly's?

That thought alone made her bare her teeth like an animal. She curled her fingers to form a fist and then dropped them to her sides. As she straightened her spine, she took a deep breath in and closed her eyes. When she exhaled through her mouth, with a little gasp, and set loose her fingers from the tight fist, her wings came out on their own accord and a gush of air spread in her radius, while she stood quietly, indifferently.

As she felt blood trailing down her forehead towards her eyebrows, she raised her lashes. With eyes devoid of any emotion, Cyane watched the destruction before her and then, slowly pulled out the tiny wooden piece that struck her forehead.

She stared at it for a few seconds and then with a cold smile on her face, flicked it off her fingers.

___

For the next two hours, Cyane did not step out of the room. The first thirty minutes, she had tried to mitigate the damage she had done to the furniture but it was just something that couldn't be fixed. Then, for the next thirty minutes, she had been wondering on how to cover it up, until she had eventually concluded that this was not something she could cover-up. So, she spent the next hour in the room, simply because she was scared of what is going to happen if one of the guys come into the room.

Her fears came true when there was a knock on the door. She stiffened in her seat near the balcony and turned to look towards the door, afraid one of them had barged in. Noting with relief that there was no one else, she got up from her seat on the floor and rose high from the floor because she just did not want to hop around the mess in the room.

When she was near the door, she lowered herself to the floor and slowly peeked out of the door. Grayson smiled at her and then gave her his phone. Contact your brother, it said and grateful, she took the phone from his hand and closed the door before he could peep inside.

She immediately called Yolanda but there was no response. Frowning, she called again. When the call went unanswered after her fourth attempt, Cyane began to grow anxious.

What had happened? Why wasn't Yolanda answering?

There was another knock at the door and Cyane placed her palms across her temple, not knowing what else to do. I just need a moment...

When she bent double, her hair fell forward and the torn fabric from Xanthos's t-shirt clung tighter on her back. She straightened immediately and took off the t-shirt to inspect it. The cloth was ripped apart from the shoulders to mid-waist on the backside where her wings had stretched out.

An idea popped into her head and so, opening the closet door— the only furniture other than the bedroom door that was still intact— Cyane picked out another shirt. This time, a black and grey t-shirt with full sleeves.

After putting it on, she deleted Yolanda's number from the phone and then wrote something in Norwegian for Xan and his friends to read.

___

"Of course, we should have thought about it. She needs things.... she is a girl" Brody whispered the last bit.

"Why are you whispering?" Miki asked him.

"Because girls need... stuff" Brody whispered again, watching Cyane and flushing uncomfortably. Cyane raised an amused brow because she understood what he was trying to tell his friend, but failing badly.

They were all in the living room. When she had stepped out of the room to give back Grayson's phone, she had been careful not to open the door wide and once she was out, she had shut the bedroom door immediately before anyone could peek inside.

Nobody had been suspicious of her behaviour and Cyane was relieved to note that. However, she still stood closest to the door, to be ready for any untoward situation.

Xanthos was sitting in the couch but she hadn't once looked at him because she simply couldn't without bursting into tears. She could feel his eyes on her every passing second, but she refused to give in to the temptation.

Instead, she kept worrying about Minerva and Yolanda. Was she safe? Why wasn't Yolanda answering her calls?

"What would she need other than clothes?" Grayson asked with a frown.

"Well... different kinds of stuff.... You know, woman stuffs" Brody emphasized and when Grayson understood what his friend was trying to tell him, his cheeks turned red too.

"Oh! Well... if she needs it then we have to give it to her" Grayson said simply and Brody nodded.

"Seriously... this is getting too far. When will her brother be back?" Miki demanded angrily.

"You do not get to complain after bringing us into this situation" Brody warned him.

"I am going to add that to her rent bill" Miki liked to have the last word and everyone let him have it.

"Someone has to go with her" Grayson suggested. "Xan?"

"We'll all go. After lunch, you get her back here. I have to report to the king" he said standing up.

"About Crescere? Shit! I forgot about that. Don't tell him I hadn't gone with you yesterday" Grayson pleaded and Xanthos nodded.

"Why do we all have to go?" Miki demanded angrily.

"Because I told you to," Xanthos said flatly and Cyane was surprised when Miki agreed almost immediately to that order.

Brody and Miki went downstairs but Cyane hesitated to move from the door. What if Xanthos wants to go to the bathroom and checks the room?

"Let's go" Grayson gestured to her and hesitantly, Cyane moved from her protective stance in front of the bedroom door. She was relieved to see Xanthos follow her and not go into the room.

As she descended the stairs beside Grayson, she was aware of Xanthos's eyes on her back. It took effort, but straightening her spine she plastered a smile on her face for Grayson.

Miki was already sitting in the front seat of the SUV and Brody had kept open the backseat door for her. She followed in after Grayson and closed the door, while Xanthos got into the driver's seat.

"Xan's car" Grayson pointed and Cyane nodded. "It's a new one."

"What?" Miki asked when Xanthos kept frowning at him instead of starting the engine. "I apologized. What else do you want me to do? I just told her where you might be, I didn't give her your actual address. Whatever else she did, she did it on her own."

They were talking about Everly and Cyane inhaled sharply. She wanted to forget and they kept reminding her and it was ticking all the wrong nerves.

"Couldn't you sit in the backseat just this once?" Brody hissed at Miki, who gaped offensively. Grayson chuckled, while Xanthos continued to glare at his friend.

Growling, Xanthos turned on the engine and Cyane looked out of the window because the other option was to pay attention to their conversation.

___

The mall they entered was large and not so crowded since it was only eleven in the morning. While Miki chased after a girl, Brody went to a gym wear stores.

A guy was distributing flyers and handed one to Cyane. It was of an upcoming football match and when Cyane stopped to read it, Xanthos and Grayson stared at her.

Right! No English.

Smiling sheepishly, she passed on the flyer to Grayson.

"Uh... I need to buy new shoes for Jayson. You guys go up, I will meet you there" Grayson said and Cyane almost protested until she realized she had to continue with her act.

With no other option left, she finally turned to face Xanthos and sucked in a breath when her eyes clashed with his. He was so beautiful to look at... no wonder women fell all over him.

I did too....

His blue eyes were blank and she hated that she couldn't read anything in them.

What was he feeling? Was he angry? Ashamed? He didn't have anything to be ashamed of.

He nodded towards the escalator and sighing Cyane stepped in. He moved towards a popular woman's clothing store and Cyane paused just before entering in.

Her cheeks turned red in mortification because she hated this. When she had to explain this to Yolanda, it hadn't been so bad because Yolanda was a woman, but with Xanthos.... She couldn't look him in the eye.

"What?" Xanthos asked when she refused to enter.

She shook her head and he furrowed his brows in confusion. Gulping, she compressed her lips as she turned scarlet to the roots of her hair.

"You do need clothes, right?" he asked her.

Yes, she did. But her size wouldn't be available here. Back at home, her clothes were brought for her by staff who knew all about the latest fashion. The clothes she wore had been carefully hand-stitched just for her and Cyane hadn't had to care about the size of the clothing. However, the first time Yolanda had taken her to the mall, Cyane had been mortified to find out that the clothes that fit her perfectly were not of an average woman's size.

Gulping once again, Cyane turned and quietly walked away, knowing he would follow her. She went around until she found a children's clothing store.

Lowering her head, she entered the shop and then turned to look at Xanthos, who was still standing outside and watching her in astonishment. Closing her eyes and moaning softly, Cyane went towards the girl's section.

In the normal world, the clothes that fit her came from the children's department because of her slim and dainty frame. Xanthos's face was a mixture of shock and bewilderment and as Cyane recalled his astonished expression, she cringed.

How would he react when he found out that she never wore a bra because she simply never needed to? Minerva had compared her non-existent breasts to mosquito bites and Cyane grimaced when she thought of it. In the castle, her designers would always make sure her dresses were beautifully fit for her and she had never really cared how her breasts looked or didn't look.

No one in her family did because it was the same for the majority of the woman in her family. Their body was just built that way.

She had never been embarrassed about her body until she had stepped into Aelius and seen several women in the area. The she-wolves were all tall and curvy and Cyane had felt inadequate in front of them.

But then, she shook her head and stiffened. Why should she be embarrassed? What was her fault if her body was just not what is considered perfect? And why should she worry what Xanthos thought of her not wearing a bra? It's not like he is ever going to get a chance.... She thought angrily.

When Xanthos strode in, people stared and that was because he looked completely out of place. He was taking each step carefully, unsurely. When a couple of little boys ran past him, he stared at them with a frown. A toddler chasing after the boys stumbled and burst into a flood of tears when he got left behind. Xanthos stared at the kid with a horrified expression until the mother came and retrieved the child.

He was already spooked and to spook him some more, Cyane kicked the ball lying near her feet. Still staring at the crying child, he took his next step and when his foot touched the ball, he stumbled. Quickly managing to compose himself, he looked up and when he saw her amused expression, his eyes narrowed.

Her eyes gleamed and tucking her lips into her mouth, Cyane turned away as her body shook with suppressed laughter.

She felt his eyes on her as she picked up a couple of dresses. There were more adults in this part of the shop and Xanthos relaxed a bit when he saw them.

When she saw a cute baby pink dress, she picked it up and held it in front of her, so that she could have a clear look. Nodding in approval, she placed it in her arm and then when she looked up, icy blue eyes met her and he was watching her with a barely-there smile in his face.

Her heart thumped wickedly and she inhaled sharply. Theos! He made her heart go mad.

A woman placed her hand on her his arm and Xanthos turned to her. Cyane blinked because she felt like someone had poured ice-cold water on her.

How could she forget what happened just this morning?

Shaking her head, she rushed into the changing room. The staff there was mopping the floor and as Cyane waited along with another woman, she realized she could use this chance to contact Minerva. She peeped outside and found Xanthos to be standing awkwardly against a mirror on the far side. He was alone and it pleased her a little.

Clearing her throat, she requested the other woman for her phone so that she could make a call. Once the woman handed it to her, she called Yolanda.

This time, the call was answered after a couple of rings, "Hello?" Yolanda said unsurely.

"Yolanda. It's me, Cyane."

"Yes... I recognized your voice"

"What happened? Did Minerva go last night?" Cyane asked at the same time Minerva spoke.

Smiling, Cyane was about to ask again, until she heard Minerva's voice. "It's Cyane? I want to talk to her."

"Min... what happened? Did you go last night?"

"Yes... yes, I did. I met Gideon" Minerva cried his name and Cyane tensed because Minerva did not sound happy.

"That's great to hear. I don't understand why you are so upset? Didn't you rescue him?"

"He didn't want to be rescued" Minerva sniffed and Cyane furrowed her brows.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh. Never mind me. I know you have your problems with your fiancée. I am sorry for worrying you. I wanted to call you in the morning but you told me not to and here I am, worrying you—"

"Min, seriously, tell me what happened?"

"Later... call me when you are free to talk. I will explain everything" with that said, Minerva cut the call.

As Cyane handed the other woman her phone back, she realized Minerva was so upset that she couldn't talk in the phone. What happened last night? Why didn't Gideon want to be rescued?

She had so many questions and as Cyane stared at her reflection in the changing room mirror, she realized that those questions would never be answered if she stayed with these men, whose sole aim in life was to please the king.

Min needed someone to talk to and Cyane wanted to go to her. The only reason that she had stayed with these guys was so that they wouldn't come in Minerva's way while she went to rescue Gideon.

Now that Min had gone and has failed to bring back her mate, Cyane knew she did not need to stay with these men. She could warn Lysander and he would keep a watch on them, while she would warn Minerva so that she never comes across their path again.

She had to go... leave now! She thought firmly.

The very same moment, icy blue eyes came into her mind and Cyane paused. Leave Xanthos? Her heart thumped again, but this time it was in agitation and her violet eyes reflected the pain she felt at that thought.

Clenching a fistful of her shirt across her chest, Cyane groaned softly. Leave Xanthos? She would never see him again....

Her eyes felt scratchy but she quickly wiped them, refusing to let any tears flow.

No. This wasn't right. She wasn't here for Xanthos. She was here for Minerva and now that Minerva needed her again, she had to go back to her friend.

It was the right thing to do. She shouldn't be wasting her time with Xanthos or his friends when her greater purpose was something else altogether.

She couldn't get attached to Xanthos. He was not for her. He was for Everly or someone else like her. That thought alone made her clench her teeth, but it also was a cruel reminder and quickly taking off her dress, she changed into a short black skort and a black-and-white striped pullover. The layered fabric at the top made it look more like a skirt.

She hurried to get outside, but when she saw Xanthos, she jumped back into the room and leaned against the wall. She had to get past him unnoticed.

Her eyes flickered around the room and when she saw the mop and the wash bucket, she smiled.

Immediately, she changed her skin to that of the woman who had been cleaning the floor earlier. The woman was mopping another room, but Cyane quietly picked up the bucket and stepped out of the room.

She paused when she saw Xanthos coming towards the room. He spared her new appearance a glance before looking ahead.

When he walked past her, Cyane huffed and rushed out. The alarms blared as she walked through the metal door but the security ignored it when they noticed it was one of their staff. While she hurried down the stairs, she riveted back to herself and once she reached the ground floor, she rushed towards the entrance.

Another guy passed her the same flyer and folding the paper, she pocketed it.

As she stood at the sidewalk in front of the mall, she spread an arm, hoping any taxi would stop for her. Since it was a two-lane road, the street looked very busy and she had a hard time looking for cabs.

She stomped her foot on the ground when she noticed that none of them was for hire. She looked right at the mall building and was relieved to notice that Xanthos and his friends weren't around.

A waft of breeze blew her way, causing the hem of the overlay fabric of her skort to fly upwards. Cyane tugged it back into its place, grateful that the short beneath concealed everything.

Immediately a navy-blue car stopped in front of her and the driver lowered the windowpane with a smirk in his face. "Want a ride?" he asked lowering his sunglasses.

"No thanks," Cyane muttered when she saw the creepy smile on his friend's face.

"We can take you for a good ride," he said in a suggestive tone and after shooting daggers at them, Cyane walked away. However, the idiot put his car into reverse gear and stopped in front of her again.

"It won't charge you anything" he grinned.

Cyane paused and through gritted teeth, forced a smile on her face and looked at the guy again. "It's going to charge you though," she said and bit her lip.

"Oh yeah? How much?" he asked watching her lips.

"A rear-view mirror" she hissed and then slamming her fist against the adjustable mirror frame, she broke it from its attachment.

"Bitch" the guy shouted and when he tried to step out, Cyane pushed the door back and since he was a human and no match for her, he failed to open the door.

"Drive before she creates a scene" his friend screamed and muttering filthy words at her, the guy kicked the accelerator.

"You better pray that you never see me again" Cyane hissed while their car drove off.

As she looked away, her eyes rounded in horror and her whole frame turned rigid when she found icy blue eyes fixed on her.

"Theos" she breathed out as Xanthos narrowed his eyes.

Footsteps rang out and Cyane gasped when she saw Brody and Miki rushing towards Xanthos. "I told you that girl was a snake," Miki said breathlessly when he stood beside Xanthos. Brody too was frowning at her.

Cyane took a small step back, then another, before taking a larger step back and then turning and sprinting for her life.

"CATCH HER" Miki shouted and when Cyane heard footsteps behind her, she crossed the street. A car came to an abrupt halt and Cyane apologized without looking their way.

Once she crossed the road, she ran across the sidewalk but she could hear the footsteps closer again.

Wolves are fast on the ground, but you have wings and they cannot catch you as long you do not set your foot on the ground... she could hear her bodyguard Sijo telling her.

Which is why, the moment she saw a lamppost, she clutched it with an arm and twirled around it, before leaping and landing on a hood of a moving car. Miki, who had been inches away from her, stumbled and when he looked up again, he was shocked to see her on the hood of a moving car.

The driver of the car slammed the break, but Cyane climbed over the top and then ran across the hoods of several cars in the opposite direction.

She looked to her left and saw Brody running on the sidewalk in the same direction as her. To distract him, she jumped atop a sedan car that was moving in the other direction. Crouching on the trunk cover, she watched Brody come to an abrupt halt and try to regain balance.

Knowing Miki was coming to her, she looked around and jumped onto the divider. As she ran the length of the divider, she heard footsteps and she was shocked when she noticed it was Xanthos on the sidewalk.

"Xan! Catch her" Miki, who was running on the left sidewalk, shouted.

Judging the way, the divider was getting narrower, Cyane knew it was coming to an end for a U-turn. Holding another lamppost, she twirled around it and leaping, she landed on the trunk of a sedan and then jumped to the hood of an SUV.

A van was parked in front of a shop and she landed on the bonnet before climbing atop it. Miki slammed his hands on the bonnet when he noticed her standing on the roof. When he growled at her, she smirked.

They were faster than her but they couldn't run using their inhumane speed because there were many humans around.

The stone railings on the balcony of the same building were close and clutching on to it, Cyane climbed up and hurdled over. She looked down and when she saw Miki climbing up the same way, she ran across the balcony and leapt on the next nearest one.

Thus, began the parkour race.

Cyane wasn't an expert in parkour but she could do it well only because she was a fairy and wasn't scared of falling and hurting herself. Her hair flew behind her as she raced through several balconies, hurdled through railings and climbed several walls. Eventually, Miki failed in catching up to her but Xanthos didn't. While she ran through the balconies, he ran across the road, never missing her.

Throughout the whole time, he kept running on the opposite sidewalk.

When there was a crossroad in the street, Cyane paused because there was no way she could leap that far without revealing her true self. She looked down and saw the compound wall. Xanthos did too and she knew she had time before he crossed the road and hurried this side.

Hurdling over the railing, she landed on the compound wall and then ran across the length of it. When she came across the windows and pipes of the next building, she used them to climb up to the top. At the end of the terrace, she noticed a tiny gap between the two wings of the building and she slid over that gap to land onto the ground.

She leaned against the wall to catch a breath but when she noticed Xanthos walk past, she gasped and ran away. That got his attention and he came back to inspect. When he saw her, he came through the same path but it was too narrow for him to walk comfortably.

Cyane ran through the parking lot and came across a set of stairways that led into the building. However, the problem was the old rusty sliding iron gates that were locked from the inside.

When she heard Xanthos's footsteps, she inhaled sharply. Like a burglar dancing through laser beams, Cyane slid in slowly and carefully between the iron bars. She did injure her knees in the process and bending over at the foot of the stair, she inspected them with a grimace.

The skin there was burnt and it would take about an hour or two for her to heal.

The iron gates rattled and gasping, Cyane fell on to her butt when she saw Xanthos on the other side of the locked gates. Breathing heavily, she watched as he growled loudly and tried to get in.

Relieved to see that the gates weren't moving, Cyane stood up and took a step back. "Go away" she made shooing gestures and when he saw that, he shot her an offensive glare.

Gulping, she took one more step back and watched Xanthos break the lock with a feral snarl. There wasn't any good security in the building because no alarms blared when he did that. Well aware that no one would come to help her if he manages to catch her, Cyane ran up the stairs.

When she was at the top end of the first set of stairways, she looked back and saw Xanthos pushing apart the iron gates. The fabric of his t-shirt stretched across his chest and his jaw hardened as he spread his arms wide. However, his cold eyes were fixed on her.

How could she ever forget him?

Wiping off such thoughts from her head, Cyane continued upstairs. Kicking open the terrace doors, she walked out and looked at her surroundings.

To get away from here, she had to go through the building across the street and for that she had to use her supernatural ability but she couldn't let them know.

She had to create a distraction before leaving.

___

Xanthos breathed heavily when he reached the last step and noticed that the terrace door was already broken.

He looked around and then saw that she was running on the terrace wall of a building on the other side of the street.

With a frown on his face, he wondered how the hell did she get to that side of the street, so quickly? It was then he saw cable wires hanging loosely across the buildings.

When she reached the edge, she paused and turned to look at him. Her dark brown hair flew around her face and her unusual purple eyes were shining as one corner of her bow-shaped lips tilted upwards.

That moment, she stole his breath away, just like she had done from the moment he had first seen her in the woods.

His wolf growled within him, furious that she had run away from him, again, but he soothed himself by telling that he would find her soon.

Placing both his arm over the terrace wall, he watched with her with firm determination as she jumped from building to building until she vanished from his view.

Miki burst into the terrace, forcing him to look away. "You lost her?"

Xanthos nodded and Miki growled, "I told you not to trust her. I told all of you but no one listened to me."

"Yeah! She is not a camper alright. She seemed more like a circus artist" Brody panted walking into the terrace.

Xanthos smirked. Her jumps didn't look practised but she was good... very good.

"Did you see where she went?" Brody asked and Xanthos turned his head to look in the direction where Cyane has escaped.

"Should we go after her?" Brody asked him.

"No. Why should we? I am just glad to be rid of her" Miki heaved and then grinned because that thought just occurred to him.

Xanthos's wolf snapped his jaws in protest but he did not want to start an argument with Miki now. 

"Also, I am pretty sure her name isn't Cookie" Miki added as an after-thought.

"No. It isn't" Xanthos agreed confidently. But the next time he meets her, he is going to have her reveal her true name to him.

****

I really, really hope you like this chapter :D The chase scene is one of the earliest scenes that I have planned for this story.

Cyane has finally escaped. Do you think Xan will catch her? :P

I know Cyane hasn't yet realized Xan is her mate and that's partly because they haven't touched each other yet! I have intentionally avoided that until now...

Next update on 8th August! Please vote and comment.

Love you all and remember, Stay safe!

- Shruthi Prabhanandh Suvarna :-*

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

7M 269K 64
"Come here" he said motioning for me to step closer. I knew that I had to obey his every word. It was just that my body decided not to move. "I will...
64.1K 4K 42
Secrets...in every family,friendship and relationship exists some kind of secret. They always find a way to exist,to manipulate and control someone's...
14.2M 80.9K 9
Only sample chps. Annabelle finds out that she is not the real daughter of the Alpha at her werewolf pack. As the world she knows comes collapsing d...
3.2M 76.1K 38
"I said look at me," he growled as he grabbed my arm from the Gamma in a vice grip. I winced and finally looked up to his stunning grey eyes. 'Mate...