Play No More (Player Next Doo...

By BabyInACorner

Sequel to Player Next Door. Millie Ripley is in too deep. Her relationship with the Dawson brothers is crea... More

01 | Criminal
02 | Trademark
03 | Handshake
04 | Bartender
05 | Bad boy gone
06 | More than friends
07 | Wrong Romeo
08 | Who's Millie?
09 | Crush Not Crushed
10 | Queasy
11 | Sock
12 | Funeral
13 | Back Up
14 | First Time
15 | All On Me
16 | Boombox
17 | We Don't Play
18 | Want a ride?
19 | Everyone Knows
20 | Fortune Teller
21 | Dysfunctional
22 | Jake House
23 | Your Selfish Jerk
24 | Might be Missing
25 | Bridal Style
26 | Experiment
27 | Winnifred
28 | Ghost of ex-boyfriends past
29 | Play-doh
30 | Drama, not theater
31 | Smile and Scowl
32 | Personal
33 | Dislocate
35 | Miss Bo Peep
36 | Luke's POV
37 | Butterflies
38 | No Trophy
39 | This far before
40 | Eye Contact
41 | Pass the torch
42 | Trending
43 | Past, Present and Future
44 | Single pringle
45 | Wrong drawer
46 | Too young, too fast
47 | Dreamlike
48 | Fallen
49 | It's cold
50 | Bake, not roast
51 | Which way's up?
52 | My Party
53 | Round two
54 | Looney
55 | My helicopter license
56 | All Things Luke
57 | Dinner from hell
58 | Compass
59 | Slow down
60 | He said we
61 | Siren Call
62 | Stargaze
63 | ONE
64 | Shakespeare
65 | Pass Him By
66 | Symbol of urgency
67 | He Said
68 | Reaction
69 | In Bed
70 | Nine Chances
71 | Small Town
72 | Thief to his clothes
73 | Peas in a pod
74 | Home run
75 | First Last Day
76 | Change It
77 | Morning person
78 | Fairy Godmother
79 | Abandoned
80 | Curiosity
81 | A happy place
82 | Therapy
83 | Two instead of one
84 | Aftermath
85 | Cherry on top
86 | Spirit
87 | Too Strong
88 | Twilight zone
89 | Prove yourself
90 | Anonymous
91 | Sucked in
92 | Long List
93 | Lost your head
94 | A burden
95 | A nano-second
96 | Haggler
97 | Still Here
98 | Oud
99 | Lucky
100 | Lost boy
101 | Stoke the fire
102 | Tremble
103 | Mildred
What's next

34 | Glue

147K 7.3K 9.1K
By BabyInACorner

Such a cute moment in the poster above. Thank you @Jasminflowerjeni!

I saw in the comments that you liked Luke's POV.  So I switched it up again later in this chapter and I think you're going to like whose POV it is...  

The chapter starts in Millie's POV.

Chapter 33: Glue

It was 3AM on a Monday and I was at the hospital.

Luke really knows how to start the week with a bang. A fist shaped bang straight into his brother's jaw.

"Eat baby food for a few days and you'll be fine," he offered his brother some expert medical advice.

I rolled my eyes at him and he caught it. Luke arched a brow, as if taunting me to try again. And I couldn't help but get distracted by his eyes that were a forget-me-not blue.

I was about to mock his 'be tough' attitude, when a nurse walked in. She started to wrap a bandage around Jake's head.

"This will not be good for my music career," Jake muttered sourly.

"Don't move your mouth," the nurse told him.

We watched her wrap the gray bandage around his jaw and over the top of his head. She did it again and again and it left us speechless. No one expected that.

I caught Luke smirking and glared at him. 

He raised his hands helplessly, like this wasn't his fault. "Look at the guy. How is this not funny?"

Jake's face looked like a watermelon wrapped in a bowtie. And his expression was far from amused.

There was no way this was going to end up a secret hospital visit if Jake had to walk around with half a zombie costume on his face tomorrow.

"Are you going to press charges, Jake? This was assault," Annika reminded us.

The nurse looked disapprovingly between the two brothers. I didn't blame her. The moment we made sure Jake was OK, I was going to lead the disapproval train straight into Luke.

"We've been told that the next available doctor's slot is at 10AM today," I said, "Is there anyone Jake could see earlier?"

Waiting in a hospital for another seven hours did not sound like fun.

The nurse explained, "He hasn't broken his jaw so this isn't an emergency. The bandage may be overkill but it's good to limit movement until the doctor sees him. You're welcome to stay in the waiting room or go home for a few hours."

"But the bleeding has stopped, right?" Annika asked, "Maybe we should stay here just in case."

"That's up to you, but I'll ask that you wait in the waiting room," she told us, putting the rest of the bandage roll away before leaving to see her next patient.

There was a very tense silence as Jake sat in the center of the room with half his head wrapped in what looked like toilet paper.

Luke told his brother, "You look good, Jake. You got a Little Miss Bo Peep vibe going on. It suits you."

When I thought Jake looked like a watermelon before, he really looked it now. His face became an even brighter red as it took all his willpower not to attack his half-brother in the hospital.

"Can you try to care, Luke?" I asked my boyfriend, "Try harder?"

"You're acting like he's seriously injured. He's fine and brothers fight," Luke said, checking his phone, "Excuse me one second."

"What?" I exclaimed, raising my hands in the air as he walked by.

He smirked again – that damn smirk – and kissed me on the forehead before he walked out of the room.

Annika watched him leave before she commented, "How can he look like an angel but be so much trouble?"

I wasn't aware he looked like an angel.

**

Luke Dawson is a handful, but without him, the mood in the room dampened. We were all exhausted and emotionally drained. The clock was ticking past 4AM. 

Jake insisted he didn't need the bandage and that we should go home.

But now we had to wait for Luke.

They expected me to know where he went and who he was calling at this hour. As if I would know. I'm his girlfriend, not telepathic.

A few minutes later, the door opened, and Luke reappeared with an explanation, "I was on the phone with Austin."

"Did that have to happen right now?" Annika asked, stressed and frustrated by his lack of attention, "Jake is injured and I'm guessing Austin's not a doctor?"

No. Austin is not a doctor.

I told Annika, "It's his best friend. Let's calm down on all the anger between-"

Luke kept the door open for someone behind him. He said, "Austin's not a doctor, but his mom is."

**

In walked Dr. Taylor. In my mind, she's a supermom.

Austin has casually mentioned how his mom resuscitated a boy in the Maldives after he almost drowned. Or how she works here in the ER, saving people before coming home at all hours of the night.

Not to mention the grotto she built in the basement of her house.

"It's an honor," I curtsied.

What is wrong with me?

I saw Luke standing behind Dr Taylor and shake his head. 

Dr Taylor simply smiled and turned to meet Jake and Annika. Maybe she was used to it?

Annika nervously curtsied, copying me, "Is this how you greet doctors in this country?"

"No, but it makes us feel great," Dr Taylor joked, "Luke called my son to say you were here. I don't have long but I thought I'd come by to make sure you're OK."

"Thanks," Jake nodded.

She started to undo the bandage around his head to better inspect his jaw. She was asking him questions about what happened, while I walked up to Luke and gave him a kiss on his cheek.

"You look pretty pleased with yourself," I grinned, sliding my arm around to squeeze him.

He smirked, turning his attention fully on me, "It's better than hanging out here for another seven hours."

"Come on," I laughed, "You were never going to wait here."

"I would if you were."

My little heart fluttered at that.

"So this is your brother, Luke?" Dr Taylor asked, while she was inspecting the coloration on Jake's jaw, "I never realized there were more than the two of you."

She was referring to Charlotte and Luke. Mr and Mrs Dawson had known Austin's mom for most of Luke's life and never once mentioned his first family.

"Half brother," Luke answered curtly, and I felt his hand tense up over my body. 

The door opened again, and a second doctor walked in, dressed in pale green scrubs, with a clipboard and a white lab coat.

Dr Taylor stepped away from Jake and placed her hands on her waist. "Austin, you're my son. You don't need to wear a disguise to get into the hospital."

"I do if I want to get past reception and into this room," Austin answered, peeling the lab coat off him.

He closed the door and bumped fists with Luke in greeting. Luke must've given him the room number and, for some reason, Austin decided to dress in scrubs.

"You're not allowed in this room," she told him, like it wasn't the first time.

I could see the family resemblance. They both had a mischievous air to them because Dr Taylor was scolding her son as if she secretly would've done the exact same thing at our age.

"But I'm family," Austin said.

"When we say only family is allowed, we mean the patient's family," Dr Taylor answered.

"He is family," Luke said, his arms still wrapped around me.

Dr Tayor exhaled and gave up, "Of course you'd say that. The two of you are as tight as glue."

**

A bruised Jake emerged from the patient's room with a prescription and some pain relief. He touched the side of his face, not able to move it comfortably yet.

"You're going to need a legal guardian to sign you out," Dr Taylor informed us.

"That's obviously you," Austin told his mom.

"No Austin, I can't do that. I'm your legal guardian, not theirs."

So we were left in a pickle. Neither Mr nor Mrs Dawson knew what happened tonight and the original plan was that they would never find out. The original plan was fading fast.

Annika's suggestion was futile, "Can we pretend like I'm the patient? I'm over eighteen."

Jake waved the paperwork, "It's all in my name."

There was a tense pause in the waiting room as we realized what needed to be done.

Jake sighed, and painfully removed his phone from his jacket pocket. "I'll take the hit."

"Wait," Luke ordered, stepping towards me.

He glanced at Austin who nodded. Then he turned towards me and I could see the concern in his eyes.

His expression was softer as he gazed at me, "Austin will take you home, Minnie. You shouldn't be here when my mom comes. I don't want her to associate this with you."

I slipped my hands into his and he closed his fingers around mine. I didn't argue with him, but I still found it a very thoughtful gesture.

"Uh..." Annika interrupted the romantic moment, "Can I go with her?"

**

~Austin's POV~

These scrubs were itchy.

I had taken them from my mom's room when I got the call. I don't know what the hell led to this, but Jake looked like a golf ball got stuck inside his cheek.

I was still half-asleep when I showed up, so it took me a while to realize that there was a redheaded girl I hadn't met. Aside from the usuals, she was new.

"In all the chaos, we haven't properly met yet," she introduced herself, offering her hand for me to shake.

It was a formal greeting, but I shook her hand anyway. "I'm Austin."

"You made an unforgettable entrance," she told me, "I take it you go to school with the others?"

I nodded, "And you?"

"I'm visiting Jake for a couple weeks. I model in New York but I'm originally from South Africa." 

She definitely seemed older than us. 

Millie and Luke were sitting next to each other in the hospital waiting room, their heads almost touching.  Jake was at the reception, trying to sign himself out. 

We watched him glare at Luke before turning around to respond to the receptionist.

"Imagine Jake and Luke getting along," Annika mused.

"Hmm," I said, looking around the waiting room for a vending machine.

There had to be something to eat around her.

Annika still didn't give up on a conversation.  She switched subjects, "I don't know if you got the full story, but Jake and Luke fought earlier tonight."

"Luke did that?" I asked, pointing at Jake's golf ball.

Of course Luke did that. I already knew, but I didn't want her asking me more questions.

"Yes, it was a crazy fight. They left blood on the living room. Do you think Luke's..." she trailed off and switched up the question, "You seem like you're very close to him?"

"Ya."

She waited for me to say something else. There was nothing else I had to say about it though.

"Like he has your back and you have his type thing?" she clarified.

"Luke's been there for me during some very dark times. He's like a brother to me."

I could tell she was fishing, but she wasn't going to catch much.

"Oh, OK," she frowned, scratching her head, "I found it hard to connect with him this weekend at the lake house. He's not hugely talkative to me and he didn't really seem to care much about... most things."

"He does care," I said, "Haven't you figured that one out yet? He only really cares when something happens to her."

I pointed at Millie.

A/N: Next chapter will be out in a couple days - sooner if this chapter racks up the votes!!  Follow me on Instagram @NatalieInACorner for more updates in the meantime :) 

I'll peace out now like Austin in his Annika conversation.  Hope you have a relaxed evening :)

Natalie <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

343K 8.8K 39
I never cared about the tattoo on your forearm until your arms were wrapped around me. And maybe it was by my own naivety that I never saw your scar...
2.1K 248 4
When the story of two lovers haunts the town of Marine Bay, Violet doesn't think much of it. _________________________________________ Violet Marine...
531K 1.1K 3
Throughout the entire span of my life, I had been forced to accept it wasn't going to be much better than the frequent hospital visits, long lasting...
2.5M 49.6K 36
Work hard, play hard, protect what you love at all costs... For Eamon and Rachel, friendship has always had to be good enough. A safe distance, a gua...