Breathe Again

By threetreetown

Used to be titled 'Just Drive' One wedding, one uninvited guest, one summer to finally figure things out. More

INTRO
01: The Wrong Side of Tipsy
02: Answers That Never Arrive
03: You Can't Beat A Man In A Suit
04: Gosh The Anticipation
05: Sometimes Sunshine Makes Things Better
06: New Wife, New Life
07: Ice Cream Makes Everything Better
08: Big Spoon, Little Spoon
09: We Love Lakes
10: You Can't Just Walk Away From Your Problems
11: Girls Just Wanna Have Sun
12: Feelings Are Like Yo-yos, Not That Fun
13: You Get A Question, You Get A Question, Everybody Gets A Question
14: Hello MTV and Welcome to My Cave
15: SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS EVERYBODY
16: Whoever Said You Should Talk About Your Problems was Dumb
18: Everyone Is a Musical Guy at Heart
19: Life is Sad and So Are We
20: We Need To Talk
21: A Car Crash of a Non-Conversation
22: Does Feeling Sorry For Yourself Count As Self Care?
23: A Friendly Chat or An Interrogation?
24: We're Walking Towards Our Problems This Time
25: Heartbreak Isn't A Competition

17: Let's Get Wet

1.6K 144 57
By threetreetown

When they finally emerge from the museum Isaac is surprised by the sunlight and has to squint his eyes to minimise the glare. It appears the downpour has passed and the sun is back out, and instantly Isaac knows what he wants to do this afternoon.

First they have to grab lunch, and Isaac is pleased to find his favourite cafe nearby is still open. Liam seems to be constantly surprised by how well Isaac knows the streets round here, how he can find a cafe in every place they go, or direct Liam without thought to wherever he wants to go. Isaac spent the majority of his childhood here, and more importantly there wasn't much else to do except explore. Isaac associates his childhood with going on adventures, setting out on a journey without much of a plan, and trying to try cake in every single cafe he set his eyes upon. As such Isaac has a definitive ranking of every Victoria Sponge in the local area.

"So," Liam says, "what's the plan for this afternoon."

"It's a surprise."

"Nope. No more surprises, I refuse to be surprised ever again."

"Well aren't you boring," Isaac replies.

"You're one to talk."

"Are you being this grumpy on purpose or is something going on?"

"Sorry," Liam says, "I didn't mean to be grumpy."

"It's okay. Anyway, my plan for this afternoon is paddleboarding."

"Paddleboarding?"

"Yes."

"Why is it always watersports with you?" Liam asks.

"I like the water."

Liam raises his eyebrows but says nothing. Simply sips his tea and keeps quiet.

"Are you down?" Isaac asks after a beat of silence.

"I'm down."

Once lunch is over the two of them catch tbe bus back to the hostel and get changed, Isaac thinks he know's where the place that rents out paddleboards is and hopes that it still exists.

It is the strange thing about being back here, he's finding that things aren't quite the way he remembers. Like everything is the same but ever so subtly different, and Isaac has decided he really does not like it. It's slightly disorienting, and Isaac is worried he is going to lead Liam somewhere and be embarrassed by the fact that it doesn't exist. The one comfort Isaac has found is that the scenery has not changed, and it never will, the lake is still the lake, the hills still stretching high and far beyond around them.

"Take me away," Liam says once he's dressed, "I have no idea where I'm going so I'm going to follow you as per usual."

"Would you follow me if I jumped off a cliff?" Isaac teases.

"I'd probably assume it was some fun new activity you were introducing me to, to be honest. Cliff diving is a thing right?"

"Only if there's water at the bottom."

The paddleboard place is indeed where Isaac remembers it being and he leads Liam down to the lakeshore, attempting to show Liam some semblance of technique. It's harder than Isaac remembers, the last time he did this is years ago now and it turns out he had much better balance back then. Isaac realises that this whole endevaour may end in disaster but he decides it's likely safer not to tell Liam and let him find that out for himself.

Eventually they're heading out into the water, Isaac taking the chance to appreciate the large expanse in front of them. Back when he was younger Isaac used to think that the lake never ended, that because he couldn't see the other end then it couldn't possibly exist. He sometimes still lets himself believe that, that if he set off now and went further and further into the lake it would stretch on forever, and he could spend his whole life exploring and never be done.

The sounds of a splash tears him from his thoughts and he turns around to see Liam is soaked already, in the water next to his board.

"I'm not sure you quite get the idea of staying on your board."

"Why does everything we do together always end with me being soaked?" Liam asks.

"I'm just trying to expand your horizons Liam. Besides, lake water is good for you."

"If you're anything to go by I'm pretty sure that's not true."

"Hey!"

"Sorry," Liam says, but he's smiling and Isaac knows he doesn't really mean it, "I'll be nicer from now on. As long as you tell me how to get back on this board without making a tit of myself."

"I'm not sure I can help you with that one, you tend to make a tit of yourself no matter what I suggest."

"Wow, now who's the rude on."

"You taught me well."

"Oh I see. I'm the master and you are the apprentice."

Isaac shakes his head but he smiles, and paddles over the Liam to help guide him back onto the board.

"Okay," Liam says, "so I literally just kneel on this board and use this paddle to move myself around."

"Pretty much, I mean you could stand up if you felt more confident, but given you've been in the water already today I think we maybe save that for another time."

Liam narrows his eyes slightly but doesn't say anything, instead his expression turns to one of focus and he begins moving slowly yet steadily through the water.

"I still can't get over how different you are here."

"I am?" Isaac asks, he's surprised he doesn't feel any different than when they arrived. "In a good way or a bad way?"

"A good way. I don't know, you seem more yourself, I'm not sure how that works when I've never seen you like this before. You just seem to know exactly where you're at round here, you know the place and it seems to know you."

"Thank you, I think?"

"You're welcome. I'm just saying it's really interesting seeing this side of you, I feel like I only get you around Jonah and Daniel. And then you're not exactly quiet, but you're always kind of reserved, or stressed, or worried. And you're none of those things here."

"That's what a holiday does to you Liam," Isaac replies.

"I guess," Liam says, "but I think it's something to do with this place as well. I would have loved to see you if you'd stayed here, I wonder how different you'd be, but then I'd never have met you and that would have sucked."

"It would have indeed sucked."

"Humour me Isaac, how different do you think you'd have been if you'd never moved?"

"I don't know, I don't think I'd have been that different, growing up has to happen to us all right?"

Liam makes a sound, suggesting he has no comment, but Isaac feels it's more disagreement than it is agreement.

"I guess so," Liam says eventually, "why did you guys ever leave this place anyway?"

Isaac hesitates, tries to find the right words to explain the situation without giving everything away. It's a fine line between honesty and not wanting to let people too close.

"Family stuff." He settles on eventually.

"Ah yes, the most vague of reasons," Liam says, but he doesn't call Isaac out on it anymore than that.

"Come on," Isaac says, desperate for a change of conversation, "you've managed to not fall off for a whole five minutes I think that means it's time for a duel."

"A duel? And you always call me a five year old."

"A duel is a perfectly mature way to pass the time."

Liam looks as if he's about to disagree, like he might tell Isaac exactly how immature it is. But then a smile lights up his face and relief washes over Isaac.

"Oh you're going down Isaac."

"That sounds like a threat."

Before Liam has a chance to respond Isaac is knelt on his board, paddle at the ready, determined to refuse to let Liam show him up. Isaac's balance may not be quite as good as it once, but it's definitely better than Liam's - not that that's a hard achievement.

"I feel like I'm at a slight disadvantage," Liam says, "you have longer arms and therefore you have a reach advantage."

"Ah but your centre of gravity is better because you're closer to the ground."

Isaac is too busy laughing at his own comment that he misses Liam's approaching swipe and only just manages to keep his balance as the paddle catches him on the hip.

"Be prepared to lose Isaac."

"I refuse."

And so begins an exciting battle. Or rather an interesting battle, both of them taking swipes at one another and having to call a timeout when they drift so far apart that they can no longer reach one another. Isaac is pretty impressed that except for Liam's early dip neither of them have made it into the water.

However he clearly thinks things are going well far too soon, and far too late he notices Liam's paddle swinging towards him and he has no chance of avoiding it. Before he knows it Isaac is the water and he's thankful the weather has brightened up as his clothes are quickly soaked and he's shocked by the cold of the water.

"I am victorious," he hears Liam call above him, "the apprentice has beaten the master."

Isaac doesn't necessarily think of himself as a sore loser but there's something about Liam's words, the fact that he is very much rubbing his victory in Isaac's face that makes Isaac think it is an excellent idea to swim under the water and surface underneath Liam's board, tilting it so that Liam has no choice but to fall in the water. He never saw Isaac coming.

"Dick move," Liam splutters when he comes back to the surface.

"You just looked a little hot," Isaac replies, "figure you might appreciate a dip to cool off."

"You know if I didn't know that you were secretly a nice person then I might be tempted to call you a dickhead."

"Only tempted?"

"Well I'm very polite," Liam says, "and my mother always taught me that if I have nothing nice to say then I shouldn't say anything at all."

"And yet you continue to talk."

"Hey!"

Liam has drifted closer to Isaac, and Isaac feels his heart start to race. He hates that he still feels this way every time Liam gets nearer, his body seems like his mind's greatest traitor and Isaac isn't sure how he can ever get away from these feelings. He feels his breathing become a little harder and he finds himself unable to tear his gaze away from Liam's face. Liam's hair is plastered to his forehead, water droplets running down his nose, and Isaac isn't sure he's ever wanted something so much in his life. No, he's wanted lots of things before, he's not sure he's ever needed something like this before.

As Liam comes nearer Isaac allows himself to believe. Maybe Liam will kiss him, maybe everything from last night will suddenly make sense. Maybe they'll never have to drift apart again.

Liam is as close as he can get now and slowly places his hands on Isaac's arms, fingers trailing upwards. Isaac feels his breath hitch. Only a small distance needs to be closed in order for them to kiss, lips hovering a few inches apart and Isaac wonders if this is the moment where everything will change.

"Sucker," Liam shouts.

Isaac barely has any chance to process that before Liam is pushing Isaac firmly down by his shoulders and Isaac is submerged under the water.

"Now who's the dick," he finally says when he surfaces again.

"It was too good an opportunity to resist."

"Dick," Isaac repeats.

Liam just shakes his head and laughs before checking his watch.

"We should maybe start heading back, the rental ends soon."

Isaac just nods in agreement.

"Race you back?" He says.

Liam doesn't have a chance to agree before Isaac has mounted his board again and is paddling back with the kind of determined furiosity that comes with having a point to prove.

"No fair." he hears Liam shout, clearly some distance behind him. "That was a false start if ever I've seen one."

Isaac simply laughs and keeps on paddling. When he finally reaches the shore and turns to see how much of a margin he's won by he's unsurprised to see Liam chasing after him looking marginally pissed off.

"You know it doesn't count as a win when it was an unfair race," Liam tells him with a slight pout.

"Liam baby, all's fair in love and war."

For that Isaac receives a light shove but his smile doesn't dim, and he carries on laughing at Liam's apparent frustration.

"Come on," Liam says, "I need a shower, an ice cream, and a nap. The order of those events is to be determined."

"Definitely an ice cream first."

"You might be right."

Once the paddleboards have been returned the two of them slowly meander their way back to the hostel, Liam has taken his shirt off as he claimed it was too wet to be comfortable and Isaac has to force himself not to let his gaze wander. Isaac is in shape and he knows that, but it doesn't make him any less impressed as other people's bodies, especially Liam's.

In order to distract himself he ducks into an ice cream shop they pass on the way emerging with two loaded cones which they sit on the edge of the jetty and enjoy.

Isaac thinks that this must be what heaven feels like. The two of them sat legs dangling over the open water, sun beating down on their skin, shoulders pressed together, the taste of ice cream on his mouth. He wonders if this an alternate universe, if this is what his life would have been everyday, an easy life, a happy life. Spent basking in the sun with a boy he has a crush on. He wonders if life can ever be uncomplicated, how it must feel to have a life where you can count on getting what you want most of the time. He supposes life can't be wonderful all the time for everyone. But he wishes that this moment could stretch on out into infinity and that life could be wonderful one time for him.

"You look deep in thought," Liam tells him, nudging him with his shoulder.

"Just thinking about life."

"Wow you're so deep Isaac."

"Don't make me push you off of here."

"You wouldn't."

"Oh Liam, you don't know what I'm capable of."

Liam leans in, brings their faces closer once again and Isaac is on edge, half-expecting Liam to send him tumbling into the water again. But despite his suspicions he finds he is still a little breathless, still a little expectant that something might happen. That Liam might lean in and everything okay.

"Isaac, I think I know more about you than you could ever imagine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.5K 934 23
I'm not a professional writer so bare with me but hopefully I'll be writing some semi-readable oneshots about the boys of roadtrip!
23.5K 606 11
"are you coming?" "why are you making this sexual?!" "what do you mean? i just want to know if you're coming!" lowercase intended discontinued. start...
210K 6.4K 11
Struggling with your sexuality? Check. Warped Tour? Check. Drunken parties? Check. Falling in love your best friend? Not on the agenda.
19.4K 491 15
After My Mom married Matthew Reed, my life sort of took on a rollercoaster like path. I mean, my mom was happy, therefor I should be happy, but I was...