The Perfect Partner

By batmanluvva13

Katherine "Kitty" Hughes has given up on romance after a terrible experience with her last boyfriend. With wh... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Epilogue

12

3.8K 88 33
By batmanluvva13

Kitty's p.o.v

"Are you... is this for real? Are you being serious right now?" Chris' eyes held a glimmer of hope. "What-why did you change your mind?"

I picked up the letter and handed it to him, watching his facial expressions change as he read it. Confusion. Anger. Fear. Understanding. He knew that this was the only way to insure Cason didn't get any sort of custody to Jaylee.

"I don't know what to do boss. An adoption is going to take too long and we technically have to get Cason's consent to do it. It's illegal for you to sign the birth certificate since you aren't her biological father, but even then it takes at least a month for it to be revised in the system."

"He can't get rights to her. He's horrible." I nodded, trying to think of any possible way to avoid this. Court was hell, and I didn't want Jay to have to experience that before she even turns three. She deserves better. An idea began forming in my head, and I turned to Chris, looking at him as if he held all the answers.

"If I could get some sort of case going on all of the illegal things he's involved in... could that delay our case? At least long enough for us to figure out what we need to do?" 

"That could work, but Kitty... are you ready for that?" No, I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with telling people all the shit I went through, but that doesn't matter.

"I have to be."

~~~~

*September 29*

"All rise." I stood from my seat, wiping my sweaty palms on the skirt of my dress. This was the moment where I found out if I had created a substantial enough case for the judge to delay the custody hearing. Her honor herself walked into the courtroom soon after the cop spoke, the calm, collected mask all judges wear sculpted on her face.

"We are here to discuss the Hughes v Whitaker custody battle." Everybody sat back down when she spoke, my heart palpitating when I saw her pick up the paper that no doubt held my statement. "Miss Hughes, are these claims true?"

"Yes your honor, every word of them." I could feel Cason's eyes burning a hole into my skull, his mind probably racing with the amount of illegal things I could sell him out for.

"And is it true that you are working to establish legal fatherhood to a man that is neither your daughter's legal father nor your husband?"

"That is also correct, your honor." Cason scoffed in disbelief while she looked over the statement one more time.

"In light of these claims it is my rule that we look further into the defendant. Case dismissed until further investigation has been performed." I'd never been happier to hear the sound of a gavel smacking the judges desk. 

~~~~~

*Three days later*

"Hello Miss Hughes, Mr. Evans, how are you both today?" Chris and I were currently sitting across from a child custody attorney.

"We're pretty good, all things considered." Chris answered for us. I was so nervous it had become hard for me to form coherent sentences.

"That's wonderful. My name is Holly Jackson, and I specialize in circumstances like the one you're describing. I do have some questions for clarification purposes, is that okay?" We glanced at each other before nodding our consent. "Perfect. First question, how long have you two been seeing each other?"

"Um, I don't... we've known each other for about five months now." How are you supposed to explain that you live together and your child calls him daddy, but you aren't technically labeled? It's harder than one might think.

"Okay, does Jaylee agree with this decision?"

"Yes definitely, she's attached to him." She smiled and jotted down some notes in her file.

"That's cute. What would you say the nature of your relationship is? For example, are you friends and Mr. Evans is just your child's father figure? Are you engaged in sexual activity only? Is there a romantic relationship?" A blush coated my cheeks at the mention of sexual activity and I felt like I was a schoolgirl getting asked by her mom if I liked a boy.

"I, we, it's complicated. I'd like to think we're at least working toward a romantic relationship with one another, if not there. We just haven't put a label on it." I looked to Chris, asking silently if he had anything to add.

"Yeah, that's... that's probably the most apt description of our relationship. Nothing, uh, nothing past kissing though to answer your other question." Ha! I wasn't the only one embarrassed by the question.

"Alright, so I'm not going to lie and say this will be easy, because it won't be. Unless your claims against Mr. Whitaker hold up in court, he's going to be a formidable force to be reckoned with. His paternity test coming back positive alone is enough to make our lives a living hell. Chris cannot legally sign the birth certificate, and you have to get consent from the biological father to do a, for all intents and purposes, step parent adoption. Your limited time together will also more than likely work against us.

"On a brighter note, if what your saying is true and Chris has a good bond with Jaylee, the court won't look over that. Also, even if these allegations don't pull through, him being put under investigation at all will make the judge hesitate. So, I must ask before we take any steps further, do you want this Mr. Evans? Because if you don't, you need to walk out of this office right now so none of us waste our time." Well, here it comes, the moment of truth. I looked at Chris who was already staring intently at me.

"Mrs. Jackson, I want this more than I've ever wanted anything in my life."

~~~~

*One week later*

"Chris! Chris, the mail is here." I flipped through the many envelopes, looking for two in particular. Both Mrs. Jackson's solution to our problem, and the police's findings in their investigation were supposed to be coming anytime now, so Chris and I had been watching the mail like hawks.

"Are they here?" No, no, no, no, bingo.

"The investigation results are here!" The sound of his feet hitting the floor greeted my ears just before he rounded the corner, coming just behind me to read over my shoulder. With bated breath, I ripped open the envelope to partake of its contents.

Dear Miss Katherine Hughes,

The Gene Snyder U.S Courthouse has written you in regards to the investigation of your allegations of Mr. Cason Whitaker. The Louisville Metro Police Department asked us to inform you that the investigation is still ongoing. No concrete evidence has come forward, but the men and women of the police department are not taking this case lightly. The Gene Snyder U.S Courthouse will keep you informed as the investigation proceeds.

Respectively, Gene Snyder U.S Courthouse

"We have more time." I turned to Chris with a large grin on my face, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him hard.

"We might actually pull this off." He wrapped his arms around me to deepen the kiss, pushing me against the nearest wall.

"Of course we will, you're Captain America, and I'm Kitty Hughes. Together, we're unstoppable." He lifted me off the ground, carrying me to the couch and laying me back. His hands traveled under my shirt, the pads of his fingers brushing my bra. I let my own hands wander down to the hem of his shorts, tugging on them teasingly.

"Ewwww." Chris and I jumped apart, poor little Jaylee covering her eyes where she stood at the entrance of the living room. "Daddy no kiss mommy!"

"Why not?" He leaned forward like he was going to kiss me again, and she squealed in protest. 

"Tis her daddy." He chuckled and leaned forward, planting a soft kiss to my lips. "Eww."

"You told me to!" She giggled and pointed at me again, Chris leaning in and capturing my lips once more. She covered her eyes, but continued to laugh. "Come here silly girl."

"Otay!" She ran and jumped on his lap, a small 'oof' coming from Chris. "I wuv you Daddy."

"I-I love you too Jay babe." I could see the tears in Chris' eyes as he snuggled her to his chest, and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was making the right decision.

~~~~~

*Two months later*

"Mr. Evans, if you could sign your name here for me please." His hand shook as he signed his name, both of us sweating bullets. Holly Jackson had made true on her word, so here we were signing documents that would make Chris Jaylee's father.

"Alright, I think your part is done. The only thing that could present problems now is your case being reopened before this has had time to process. In the event of that happening we will discuss a temporary document of some sort to give the judge. Congratulations Mr. Evans, you're a father." Chris jumped out of his seat to hug me, spinning us around.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Jackson, we never would've been able to do this without you." 

"It was my pleasure helping you, you seem to really care about these girls." He looked me in the eyes, a small smile gracing his beautiful face.

"I do care about them, very much." 

After thanking her a few more times we left the building, heading towards Chris' car. I swear Chris was practically skipping in his excitement, the large grin he'd gotten when Holly said it was done never leaving his face.

"Well, what do you want to do to celebrate becoming a father?" He gave me a very mischievous look, a nervous pit forming in my stomach at the sight of it.

"I can think of a few things. Jay is staying with Chelsea tonight, right?"

"Y-yeah."

"Perfect."

~~~~~

Chris and I laid on his bed, sweat still glistening on our bodies. My head was rested on his bare chest, his thumb tracing circles on my arm. This moment, this day, had been pure bliss. I heard him let out an amused huff out of nowhere, and resituated so I could look at him.

"What's going through that head of yours?" He reached up and brushed a stray piece of hair behind my ear, leaving his hand on my cheek.

"I'm a dad, I have a daughter." I smiled at, pecking his lips. "Not only that, but I have the most beautiful woman in the world laying on top of me. How did I get so lucky? Is this even real?"

"It's real, I'm real, so is Jaylee." He shook his head in disbelief still staring at me.

"You're amazing, move in with me."

"I already moved in with you goober." He flipped me onto my back, hovering over me.

"For real. Stop looking at other places, and stay. Jaylee is my daughter, and surely by now you're my girlfriend. We've known each other for over seven months which is hardly strangers, not to mention you've lived with me for basically half of that. Make this, us, permanent." 

Maybe I should've thought it through more, but laying here now I couldn't imagine anywhere else I could ever want to be. His arms had become the feeling of home I'd searched for for as long as I can remember. He loves Jaylee as if she were is own, enough so that she is his now. Just like me. So that's why, without a second thought, I knew what I should say.

"Okay." I whispered, lacing my fingers through his hair.

"Okay? Just like that?"

"Okay. I'll stop looking for other places. Jay and I are her to stay. Just like that." He slammed his mouth into mine, our bare skin heating up immediately.

"Share a bed with me?" 

"Are you asking me all this stuff while I'm distracted so I'm more likely to say yes?" His teeth pulled on my lower lip, while his hands wrapped my legs around his waist.

"Maybe. Is it working?" Our heavy breathing mingled, my hands running down his toned back.

"A little, yeah." He looked at me deeply, all movement ceasing.

"Yes?" I couldn't help but giggle at the hopeful look in his eyes.

"Yes, I'll share a bed with you." He bit his own lip this time, eyes trailing down my naked body.

"Meet my family?" 

"No." He groaned and collapsed on me, the tips of his fingers going up and down my sides.

"Why not?" He whined. This was something he'd been trying to get me to do for a while now, but it was one of the bigger steps in a relationship. I know I've met Carly and Lisa before, but I wasn't fucking their brother/son then, now I am.

"That's a serious decision. Besides, people fall in love with me instantly, I'd hate for something to happen between us and your family be pissed at you for losing me." He tittered despite himself and the situation.

"Jaylee loves them." Chris had brought her over there several times now, and she always comes back gushing about what an amazing time she had.

"Yes, and Jaylee is your daughter." That word never failed to make him smile.

"You're my girlfriend. Please." He begged, kissing down my stomach and back up before looking at me from under his lashes. "Please?"

"Ugh, fine, but not until everything with Cason is settled, and you owe me. Got it?" He kissed me passionately, arms caging my head in.

"Got it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.5K 1.2K 37
*~COMPLETE~* Lorelai Channels has just moved to Boston 6 months ago from LA in hopes of having a better chance at making the Olympics again. Tryouts...
70.9K 2.1K 37
Ellie just moved to Boston looking for a fresh start at a new Real Estate firm. She becomes fast friends with her new co-worker Tara who introduces h...
35.1K 1.3K 26
~~Complete~~ Chris meets a girl on vacation who has her own past she's trying to deal with and move on from. What happens when he starts to fall for...
36.3K 1.4K 20
*~COMPLETE~* Paisley has a 16-year-old son Logan who is starting to look at colleges and the only one holding his interest is University of Massachu...