Lock and Key

By hayliestapher

"Finn, I really like you. Every time you look at me or touch me, my heart breaks because I know that you can... More

Story Info :)
Accidents and Envelopes
Shopping and Confusion
Pranks and Theater
Gum and Bruises
Car doors and Tears
A Fight and a Window
Locks and Promises
Drama and Evidence
Coffee and A Phone call
Hot chocolate and The Truth
Corey and Sam
Glass and Bandages
Horror Movies and Plans
Basements and Darkness
Distractions and a Recsue
Visions and Group Hugs
A panic attack and the F word
Arguments and Break ups
A Parking Lot and an Ambulance
Hospitals and Confessions

Paper Balls and Detention

114 35 11
By hayliestapher

Cover created by ABrunetteGirl

Lilah

"You want to stay later? Why?" My dad questioned over the phone.

"I already told you. I'm auditioning for a play. It's only like a half hour." I explained for the second time.

I heard a sigh from the other end and then he mumbled an "ok."

I hung up before he could change his mind, and shut my locker, heading towards the auditorium.

It was now after school, and I could officially say that I had a pretty good first day. To be honest, I'd rather be here than at home with my grumpy father all the time.

Kayla and Logan had already left and said goodbye to me. I had no idea where any of my new friends were. I only knew that Isaac was in the auditorium.

When I got there he was already walking towards me.

"Good luck. You're gonna make an awesome Sharpay." He told me, with a heartwarming smile.

"Thanks, and you're going to make an awesome Ryan."

Ms. Linn told us to go wait in the hallway so she can bring students in one at a time.

While waiting in the hallway, I realized how nervous I really was. I'd never auditioned for anything before. I'd never even been on a stage. The nerves caused me to shake and others started to notice. I was getting weird looks and some concerned looks.

Issac, who was behind me in line, put his hand on my shoulder, which made me jump and turn around.

"Are you okay, Lilah?" His kind, blue eyes were filled with concern.

"Yeah." I nodded. "It's just that I've never auditioned for anything before so, I'm a little nervous."

"A little?" He laughed and grabbed my shaking hands. "You're gonna do fine. What's the worst that can happen?"

"I embarrass myself." I told him, avoiding his eyes. I heard him laugh.

"In front of who? Ms. Linn?" He asked.

I laughed a little, realizing he was right. It actually calmed me down a bit. I took my hands out of his and shook them out, letting out a deep breath.

"You got this." He told me.

"I've got this." I repeated, just as it was my turn to audition. He gave me a thumbs up as I headed into the empty auditorium and on to the stage.

I was still nervous at first, but I started reading the lines as she read back to me. As soon as I started, it was like I forgot I was even in an audition.

Like it was just me, in the empty room.

When we finished, I felt so proud of myself that I got through it without any voice cracks, or more shaking.

Then she asked me to sing. I guess this is the easiest part for me, since I do it a lot.

I imagined myself in my own room, with my guitar as I sang to her.

When I finish she clapped for me and had a proud look on her face.

"That was amazing, Delilah!" She had a huge smile on her face. "Can you call in the next auditioner?"

I nodded and left the room.

"How'd it go?" Isaac asked, as soon as I exited through the doors.

"It went amazing! I think I have a pretty good chance!" I smiled, and he hugged me.

"Okay, okay, go on. Good luck." I gave him a light shove towards the doors and waved goodbye. He gave me one last smile before shutting the doors behind him.

I walked out into the parking lot and got into my car. I texted my dad, telling him I was on my way home, and pulled out of the parking lot.

~~~~~~~~~
When I got home it was 4:27. My dad was sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Hey Dad." I say. I threw my bag on the couch and sat next to him.

He nodded at me in response and I sighed. I still had to ask him about Caitlin coming over...

"Dad, I have a project for English class and we're working with partners. Would it be okay if I had someone over after school tomorrow?"

"Why can't you just do it at school?" He argued, right away. Figured.

"Our teacher didn't give us class time. Come on, it's just for a project. Would you rather me go to her house?" I asked him, raising one eyebrow.

He sighed, and finally gave in.

"Fine." He shook his head and walked to his office. I smiled to myself, grabbed my backpack, and ran up to my room.

I read the couple chapters of the book Mrs. Willons assigned to us, and then went back downstairs to make dinner.

Dinner was silent, as usual. After dinner I went back upstairs, and watched Netflix until I fell asleep.

~~~~~
"Isaac!" I waved my hand towards our table. "Over here!" He spotted me and started walking towards us.

"Hey guys!" He greeted as he sat down.

"Isaac, this is Kayla, Logan, and Luca." I pointed to all three of them.

"Nice to meet you!" He said.

"So this is Isaac? We've heard so much about you!" Kayla said.

"Yep." I nodded my head, just as Ms. Linn walked through the doors of the cafeteria.

"It's time!" Both me and Isaac said at the same time. I'm sure we both had the same excited look in our eyes.

She pinned a piece of paper up on the cork board and all the theater students ran to it.

I squeezed in just enough to see that I had gotten Sharpay and Isaac had gotten Ryan.

"No way!" I squealed and ran to Isaac. "We both got the parts we wanted!"

He smiled at the good news and highfived me, and we headed off to go tell the others.

"That's great!" Kayla cheered at the same time Luka and Logan said "Awesome!"

I felt someone poke my ribs behind me, and I spun around quickly.

"Ayy! You got Sharpay!" Finn congratulates, with a proud smile on his face.

"Yeah, I did." I responded to him, trying to turn back around. He grabbed my arm.

"Hey, did I do something? Why do you suddenly hate me?" He asked.

"I don't hate you. I just don't want to get involved in the wrong crowd." I explained nodding my head towards his lunch table, where half of the girls were glaring at me.

"Yeah, of course." He sighed, shaking his head. "Congrats, princess. I'm proud of you" he walked back to his table.

I felt kind of bad, but I am not spending my school year, hanging out with people who only care about their image.

I shook my head and crossed my arms, turning back to my friends. They all looked in shock from our exchange.

"What was that?" Kayla asked. "I don't think I've ever seen a girl reject Finley Price before."

"Well, now you have." I shrugged.

~~~~~
I tried to pay attention to Mr. Carter, but it was kind of hard when you were being pelted with paper balls.

I turned around and glared at Finn.

"Can you stop?" I whispered, as he laughed.

Mr. Carter turns around and looked at me and Finn. "Quiet! I don't suppose you two want lunch detention."

"No, sir." I said, respectfully.

"Honestly, I wouldn't mind it." Finn shrugged and winked at me. What was up with him and winking?

I got more glares from jealous girls from his statement. I groaned and put my head down as Mr. Carter gave Finn a dirty look and continued on with his lesson.

I got hit with yet another paper ball. This time I threw it back. That was a bad idea, because Mr. Carter turned around just as I threw it.

"Bridges, Price, lunch detention tomorrow." he said, handing each of us a pink slip.

I sighed and took it from him, and looked back at Finn, who had a smug grin on his face.

~~~~~~
I wait by my locker for Caitlin. Kayla came up to me and started laughing. "Maddie is so angry."

"Why?" I asked.

"Apparently, Finn purposely got some girl in detention, just so he can spend time with her." She was still laughing.

He did that so he could spend time with me? That's weird. Why would he want that so bad?

I opened my backpack and pulled out my detention slip. I handed it to her and her mouth fell open.

"It was you?!" She asked, shocked.

"Yep." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Wow." She laughed again and gave me the slip back. "What are you waiting here for?"

"Oh, I have a project to work on, so I'm waiting for my partner. My dad actually agreed to let her come over." I explained and she frowned.

"Someone else gets to go to your house before me?" She pouted.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." I said, just as Caitlin walked up with her backpack.

"Ready?" She asked and I nodded.

I gave Kayla a hug and Caitlin and I walked out to her car. She had offered to drive us because I had taken the bus here.

Man, I really hope this is goes well.

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter was a little shorter than normal, I've been pretty busy.

Thanks for your patience, and please vote, comment, and recommend to your friends!

~haylie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.9K 1.9K 34
The past can be haunting. It can be traumatic and for this seventeen year old- life hasn't been on her side. Josie Kingsley had everything, money, ho...
336 27 20
"Yet here I was, sitting down on the cold concrete floor, with the boy from the basement." A dark yet passionate romance between Carly and a boy she...
686K 14.3K 62
Delilah Richards is twenty and definitely not what most people would consider kidnap material. She's sweet, innocent, smart and wouldn't dare of hurt...
6.8K 682 36
Love. Such a delicate thing. And in young teenagers, so fresh and so confusing at the same time. Every person wants to love and feel loved by someone...