A carriage ride trough Willin...

By AmandaBecker4933

Sanditon Fanfiction; Another story of my "What if?" series. What if Sidney Parker was in the crashed carriage... More

The accident
injured
smoothly shaved
the cool morning by the river
either side of the path
promise at the picnic
Grumpy
A carriage ride to Sanditon
A new houseguest
The ball
insightful dream
Aletheia
coolness of the heart
London
intensity of feelings
be alone together
I am happy

confession

512 9 4
By AmandaBecker4933

Grumpy leaned his head towards Charlotte and looked at her with his knowing eyes as Sidney walked out with him. He muttered something about washing the dirty dog and said his goodbye. 

All day long they did not see each other again, until later that afternoon he announced he had to go to London. Charlotte was incredibly disappointed, but tried not to show it. Only in the evening, when the family went for a short walk on the beach, he spoke to her again.

"Miss Heywood." She looked at him expectantly.

"May I ask you to keep an eye on Grumpy while I'm in London?"

"Of course."

Their eyes got entangled and it was as if a whole conversation was going on between them, although they both remained silent. Grumpy between their feet and they both laughed. Then he wanted to play catch and jumped up on Sidney until he ran after him.

The days passed and Charlotte distracted herself with visits to Georgiana, the beach and with the children. But she realized there was something missing. Missing someone. She was so used to having Sidney around that she only now realized how much he had become part of her life. He was her connection to Willingden and although there were moments when he confused her and she found him strange, she did not want to miss him. She wondered what that meant. Perhaps she was homesick?

Sidney did his business within the first two days in London. The third day he spent with his lawyer. On his way back to Sanditon, he put another plan into action.

Two days later Sidney arrived at Trafalgar House and met only Mary. He asked, casually to find out where Charlotte was and learned that she was with Georgina. But when he found his ward alone at Mrs Griffith's, he was filled with worry.

"We split up to look for Grumpy, we just lost track for a moment." Georgiana seemed genuinely worried.

"Where have you been?"

"Everywhere. We took a big walk by the river and then he was gone. She wanted to search the river one way and I wanted to search the other. But then Mrs Griffiths insisted on going back to town."

"Alright."

After searching everywhere he had been with Grumpy before, he ran into town to ask if anyone had seen a dog and Charlotte. Half an hour later, he found Charlotte outside the hotel. She was holding Grumpy on a leash that she had apparently made from her hatband. She froze for a moment as she felt him coming closer, but then relaxed as soon as she recognized him.

"Hadn't we agreed you would look after him?" He asked in a teasing tone.

But Charlotte was not in the mood and took it the wrong way.

"He does what he wants and just runs away." 

She was furious, he could tell. The little line between her eyebrows deepened when she gave him a nasty look and he suddenly wasn't convinced it was a good way to say hello.

"And this is my fault?" He mumbled.

"Yes of course, you spoiled him."

"Me?"

"Yeah. You ....you hang out here" she points to the entrance of the hotel, "and...your swimming... and..."

"And you always just sit home and be good?"

"Oh, is that what you want?"

"What?" Surprised by the turn of events in this conversation, or rather argument, he fell silent.

"You want me to sit here and wait for you and take care of him by myself..."

"This is complete nonsense."

"Nonsense? So I'm talking nonsense?" She burned with excitement and he had to admit to himself that he found it incredibly appealing.

"What's wrong?" He asked, trying to stay calm.

Charlotte stared at him. She didn't know. What was wrong with her? Why did she yell at him in the middle of the street, no matter that people heard her? She was breathing heavily. Looking around, then running towards Trafalgar house, dragging Grumpy behind her. Sidney was furious. What was that? What was wrong with her? What had he done? She was not herself. At Trafalgar House, he could still hear her scolding herself as she ran up the stairs. Confused as he was, he didn't think and followed her.

"What is this all about?" He grumbled.

"What?" She was a little surprised to see him in her room, but that didn't stop her from attacking him.

"You want me to take care of your dog, and the minute you come back, you give me a yelp that I didn't take care of him properly." She shouted.

"First of all, it wasn't serious and you know it."

"How should I know?" Charlotte cried.

"You know me well enough by now!" He yelled back.

Unfortunately, he was right. She knew he wasn't serious. She bit her lip, but kept staring at him. Sidney slowly came a step closer and said in a calm voice.

"And it's your dog."

"He's not."

"Yes, he is. He finally snuck in the carriage to be with you."

"He did that because of you."

"Ha, why would he do that?"

"He wants to be with you."

"But why?"

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Love."

And as this word left her lips, she suddenly became very calm. Although her heart was pounding violently in her chest. Her stomach turned a few times in all directions. But...?

As this word slowly crept around his heart, Sidney gasped for breath. He lowered his eyes to Grumpy who had unnoticed take place on Charlotte's bed, looking at him with his faithful eyes. Sidney stroked him just behind his left ear and then pointed his head to leave the bed and although no word was spoken, Grumpy obeyed immediately.

Sidney cleared his throat.

"He loves you too," he murmured and turned to go.

"Mr Parker," surprised, he looked at her, "I'm sorry."

He nodded.

"I don't know what's wrong with me." She honestly admitted and stroked her hair.

"Maybe I'm homesick...and." But luckily the rest of the explanation stuck in her throat, she could hardly tell him that she had missed him.

"Ah, yes...then I have something for you." He explained and reached into the inside pocket of his jacket. She looked at him in amazement.

"You've been home?" Her voice took on a strange tone.

She had a lump in her throat and tears welling up in her eyes. Reaching for the bundle of letters in his hand and their hands touched slightly. But no one pulled the hand away and when they looked into each other's eyes again it was as if the room was expanding. The setting sun made little golden mica shine in her hair. The air flickered.

"Yes."

"What were you doing there?" Her voice could hardly be heard if they weren't so close.

Sidney remembered how warmly he was welcomed there and how everything became clear to him as he walked with Mr Heywood over his estate.

"My boy! I'm glad to see you."

"Thank you, Mr Heywood."

"I hope everything is fine with Charlotte?"

"When I left Sanditon, she was fine."

"You're on your way back?"

"Yes."

"We're not exactly on your way, so I guess you have a particular concern?"

"Yes, I have."

"Well, tell me."

With her big doe eyes she looked at him expectantly.

"Well I... erm... I was so comfortable with you..." 

She got all warm.

"...with your family...that I wanted to relax and think clearly for a day."

"Do you have so much on your mind?"

He nodded and looked at her embarrassed. One could almost think he looked a little shy.

"What kind of thoughts?"

"What happened in the last few days." Sidney avoided her gaze.

"What exactly do you mean, Mr Parker?" Her heart lifted for a moment.

Exhausted and lost in thoughts, he sat down on her bed where Grumpy had sat before and buried his face in his hands. He moaned and then reached into his inside pocket again and pulled out a small package. Charlotte thought it was a small gift from her parents, so she opened it and was gasping for air when she saw what it was.

"What...?"

Charlotte respectfully stroked his mother's amulet. Freshly polished it shone in the last rays of the sun that danced through her room. Charlotte noticed that the engraving on the back was renewed and admired the filigree writing.

"It looks as good as new," she murmured. Sidney didn't answer, just took a few deep breaths before he looked up at her. Smiling, she handed it back to him.

"Keep it." His voice was a rasping sound that tickled down her back.

"But it's yours." Her eyebrows tightened insecurely.

"You found it."

"Yes, but it means so much to you..."

Sidney closed her fingers around the amulet and she stopped breathing for a moment.

"It's yours if you want it." He whispered.

"Your heart can never be mine." She breathed.

"...it is already yours, Charlotte."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 125 44
Sidney's train to Sanditon is delayed, and when it finally arrives, he is annoyed to find his reserved seat occupied. Who is this girl that has stole...
138K 1.3K 36
A fan fiction written for those of us who endured the heart wrenching ending to the final episode of Sanditon (ITV, 2019). [As a possible Season 2] ...
32.6K 475 16
Winner of the Austen Writers' Awards 2020 - Sanditon category. Sidney Parker is set on never marrying, but when it is the only way to save a young l...
225 6 1
What if Sidney and Charlotte were a little closer in age? What if they met as teenagers? What if instead of Eliza, Sidney lost Charlotte as a young m...