The Tides That Bind Us [AfroF...

IntoTheTempest tarafından

The year is 2163, and the 700 Isles drift along seas blackened with secrets and scandals and the souls of me... Daha Fazla

Pixelated Reality
My Old Friend
Giants And Ants
Where The Heart Is
Coincidences
Smoke
Fire
Soot
Ash
Life's A Chore
Charm and Good Looks
Outside
Black Seas
Like I GAF
Coffins
Uprooted
Defiance
Collateral Damage
Lost Time
Borrowed Time
In Time
The Last Time
Parting Shot
Liar Liar
A Way Out
Unlikely Allies
Hindsight
Escape
Nostalgia
Out of Options
Cammi
Out Of Bad Luck
Homestead
Alone Together
A Memory
Not All Family Is Blood
Stronger
Life and Death
Merry Christmas [Epilogue]
Neon Wishes
Adolescent Stupidity

Standoff

179 26 2
IntoTheTempest tarafından

Zaharah clenched her fists until her nails dug into her skin. Her eyes roamed over the room from the Director to Elliot and to the creepers. These were smaller than she remembered, maybe twice her height or less. But everything else was the same six legs, white plated armour, guns mounted on their shoulders and piercing red lasers for eyes.

Numbness tingled her fingers and toes, climbed up her limbs, and her heart rattled in her chest. All she could see was her world awash in red while a heap of metal came crashing down on top of her. All she could feel was gravity pulling her face-first toward the—

Someone yanked her by the arm, away from the creepers and out of her own head. Markus stood in front of her, an impenetrable wall, one hand on the strap of his bag and the other reaching into his belt. He pulled out what looked like a wrapped up boomerang and pressed it into Zaharah's hands. "Stay behind me."

She gave a nod and tucked the boomerang into her pocket with Skorpi. After a few breaths, her heart slowed from a full sprint to a jog, and she took a moment to assess their situation. To their left was a set of steps going up to the ventilation access, behind them was the dead-end hallway and in front, the Director, Elliot and the creepers.

Her heart rattled around in her chest like a caged animal. She'd expected the Director to be angry, but not to go this far. Giants care nothing for the ants they step on. No shit, dad. She took a step back and bump into Jade, who stood between Pharah and Roddi. Shala had moved from Roddi's head to his hood, pink eyes peeking over the rim of fabric. Not so keen on the violence now.

A thick cloud of fear descended over the group, making the air hot and cold at the same time. Clothes rustled, feet shuffled, and they exchanged glances. Zaharah had expected opposition, but she had not expected force.

Meanwhile, Director Sanders quietly scrolled through her phone, her expression as blank as a statue's. She looked as powerful as she always did, in her crisp burgundy pant suit. On an ordinary day, when she wasn't scared shitless and running for her life, Zaharah would have complimented the Director on her choice of colour.

"Really Aleesha?" Markus asked. "Don't you think this is a bit excessive? These are children."

The Director breathed a laugh and passed her phone off to Elliot. "Children? I only see one child here and even she is old enough to know better. And you, Markus," she added as she paced closer to him. "You're their caretaker, and yet you're here leading them astray."

Markus snorted. "I'm protecting them from a monster."

"Director Sanders," Pharah said, taking a tentative step forward into the crossfire. "Please, can we just talk? I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding."

The Director arched a brow. "Is that why you were advocating so hard on Zaharah's behalf? Is that why you and your band of misfits were sneaking them into this building through the service door? I told you not to get involve, but it seems Zaharah has corrupted you."

"Director—"

She held up a hand. "I don't want to hear any excuses. Zaharah, come quietly. Now," she added when Zaharah didn't budge.

"I'm not going anywhere with you." Zaharah said, her voice steady in spite of her fear. She looked past Markus at the creepers and an icy jolt shot down her spine. "If it's the micro metal you want. Fine. You can take it. But I'm done with Denden and I'm done with you."

Director Sanders held her gaze as she waved Elliot off. The android gave a deferent bow and climbed the steps behind the creepers to the second floor before disappearing into one of the doors.

For a moment the Director remained silent, and a buzzing tension filled the room. "If circumstances were different, I'd have no qualms with letting you go. But Zaharah, you are far too valuable. Not just to me, but to humanity. Think of all the people we could help. All the people you could help."

"I want to help people." Zaharah shook her head and clutched the strap of her bag. "But not like this. You stole my memories and made me your fucking lab rat for two years. You've been lying to me, and manipulating me, and you're going to stand there and act as though you did nothing wrong."

"You really think you know everything. Well then, do you know that what happened to your family that night was no accident? Do you know that they still haven't found the culprit? Do you know that they person who's been sweet talking you this whole time was one of the prime suspects?"

Each statement hit Zaharah over the head, bore down on her shoulders along with everything else she had to endure over the past forty-eight hours. She felt like a child again, small and ignorant to the ways of the world. She didn't have answers for the Director. It could all be lies for all she knew, but even if Cam was a criminal, the Director was not better. The only people she could trust were standing around her.

"Denden was the safest place for you and your sister," Director Sanders continued. "I brought you here, gave you everything you could ever need or want. I saved your life. You should be thanking me."

Zaharah scoffed. "You used me. My father warned me about you. He said you don't care about anything or anyone that doesn't advance your agenda."

She laughed. "Zander was a disgrace. A hackneyed excuse for a scientist, too weak to push boundaries."

"You fucking bitch!" Zaharah lunged forward, anger clouding her better judgment, and the micro metal bumped and clinked against her hip. The creepers faded away as her vision tunnelled on Director Sanders, her hands clenched into fists.

Someone grabbed her, held her back. "Calm down. It's not worth it," Roddi said.

The Director remained unphased in the face of Zaharah's outburst; by the glint in her eye, she almost seemed amused. Easy when one had two killing machines to back them up.

Devin kissed his teeth and stepped in front of his sister with hands in his pockets and a scowl on his lips. "Fine, you caught us, we're all guilty. We're fucking criminals. What are you gonna do, kill us?"

"Now there's a thought." The Director snapped a finger, and the creepers stood at attention, their guns swivelling towards the group. "I've wasted enough time trying to reason. I will only ask once more. Come quietly, Zaharah, or this will get bloody."

Zaharah shrugged Roddi off and straightened her hoodie. The after-burn of anger and adrenaline still coursed through her, and she took a breath to cool her head. Markus gazed at her over his shoulder, but she didn't know what to tell him. The Director had given them no wiggle room, in the literal and figurative sense.

She looked back at her sister, who shook her head vigorously enough to make her braids whip back and forth. There was no fear in Jade's eyes, only defiance, proving once again, that she was the braver one. The thought of giving up here and now made Zaharah's stomach turn, but she couldn't risk the lives of everyone else. Especially not Jade. Her sister could go on. She was strong enough to brave the 700 on her own. For Zaharah, her fight ended here.

"Fine," Zaharah conceded. "But you have to let everyone else go."

Director Sanders made a tsking noise and waved at one of the creepers. The creeper on the left swivelled its gun around so fast, it was almost a blur and a single, deafening bang filled the room.

As the echo ricocheted off the walls, Devin crumpled, eyes wide and mouth agape. He seemed to move in slow motion as his body folded in on itself, and he hit the ground with a fleshy thud.

Pharah screamed, a haunted, hollow sound, like a ghost's wail. She stumbled to her brother's side. "Devin." She helped him to a sitting position, and her hands came away coated in blood.

Zaharah froze, her heart blaring in her ears. Terror set its frosty hands on her shoulders, and its chill seeped through her flesh and into bones, squeezing them until they ached. Again, more collateral damage. She'd underestimated her opponent, assumed the Director wouldn't go that far. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, her mother would say.

"This is not a negotiation anymore," Director Sanders said. She pointed to the ground next to her. "Come. Now."

"Okay." Zahrah put her hands up and took a step forward, but Markus threw out a hand to stop her. He pulled the strap on his case, and the world became a blur. She only caught a glimpse of the spear gun emerging from the leather, then he pushed her back into Jade before chaos descended. Two gunshots and a loud pang rang through the room, and a spear tore through the left creeper's head.

"Run!" Markus yelled. "Get out of here!"

Jade grabbed her by the elbow and pulled her towards the steps as more gunshots rang through the room. Roddi and Pharah each took one of Devin's arms and carried him up.

The clanging of metal and their panting breaths back-dropped the bangs and pops of the gunfight in their wake. Zaharah allowed herself to be dragged along through the chaos, up the metal step to the vent access. Just as she crossed over the threshold, she glanced over her shoulder and saw the creeper smash Markus against the wall like a fly. Instinctively she skidded to a stop to go back, to help him, but someone yanked her into the corridor.

"No wait!" she screamed as the door swung shut in her face. "Markus!" She beat her fists against the metal, hot tears stinging her eyes. "Shit!" Her knees grew weak, and she crumpled like burning paper. This was her fault. She should've complied.

"You can't save him," Roddi said. "Come, we gotta move."

Zaharah ground her teeth, bitterness making her chest burn, and stood on wobbly legs. Jade threw an arm over her shoulder and steered her away from the door, her eyes glassy and jaw set. Neither said anything to the other, but Zaharah knew just what her sister was thinking.

They'd lost their family all over again.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

130K 5.4K 24
In the last few centuries, humans have pushed themselves almost to the brink of extinction with wars, famine, and disease. But we have managed to sur...
39.8K 1.2K 45
It was a normal day for Y/N.. until you agree to help run a test that scientist are trying to do. They tell you that it's a new teleporting device. I...
27 5 10
In the year 2150, emotions are a forgotten language. Feelings, outlawed. Humanity, reduced to an unfeeling, cold existence under the iron rule of The...
941 144 75
Abel, Tsuki and Keisha search for meaning in a dystopian world. These three individuals' paths cross, birthing an unlikely friendship over a shared d...