Not Her

Por dieFabuliererin

Ahsoka takes the shot that Hardeen fires instead of Obi-Wan. Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 10

3.6K 124 142
Por dieFabuliererin

Anakin severely underestimated how long the process would take to get the new leg attached. Whilst it wasn't a major op, Ahsoka needed a heavy dose of anaesthesia to get through the pain of the procedure.

As a result, an hour after the leg is secured, Ahsoka's just laid lazily on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

"I don't remember the process being so long when I lost my arm." Anakin mutters, fiddling with his own cybernetic.

"She's younger than you were, and she's a Togruta." Tyson explains, "She has another five to six years of growing left to do; that's why we secured the prosthetic like this instead of like yours which is entirely detachable."

Anakin briefly smiles at the memory of taking his hand off in front of Ahsoka for the first time. She nearly threw up.

Then, he realises her injury is something she'll live with for the rest of her life. He'll need to teach her how to fix her cybernetic leg should it short-circuit or break like his hand constantly does.

He remembers being pulled to the ceiling by his forearm at the Citadel, imagines Ahsoka beside him, hanging upside down by her leg whilst she gets electrocuted. He shudders.

He really needs to find out who hired Hardeen to harm his Padawan.

"Epidurals wear off quickly on Togrutas, so it's nearly out of her system." Tyson says, typing on a datapad, "I can give her a drug to make her more alert, but the cool packs will need to stay on until the swelling comes down."

Anakin glances at her new knee, piled high with cool packs. Having a foreign object secured to the bottom of her thigh brought about a lot of inflammation and looks immensely sore. She could probably use the pain relief.

She is calm, Chosen One, and not in any pain. Is that not what you want?

"Let her float." He says, unlocking his own datapad. "I'll wait."

Anakin searches Hardeen on the GAR database. He wants to find out who hired the scumbag to target them and be the cause of Ahsoka's current condition.

Sure, he got to enforce some of his anger on Hardeen when he arrested him, but nothing will beat the satisfaction of making someone know they should never mess with Ahsoka Tano as long as Anakin Skywalker is alive.

Even after he's dead, he'll haunt whoever dares harm his student.

He clicks on the name of the Hardeen's most recent employer- finds an empty file.

Odd.

A trip to the Archives it is. Tyson says he understands and will comm if necessary before Anakin leaves the Halls of Healing to find the one person who he thinks will be able to help.

///

"A blank criminal file in the GAR database? How peculiar." Jocasta Nu says, leading the young Skywalker to a computer terminal. "I am sure we will be able to find more information about this employer through our archival system."

"Yes, Master." Skywalker says, sounding distracted as he leans over the back of the chair she's sitting in. "The name is Lux Usor."

She pauses, her fingers resting on the keypad, "Lux Usor?"

"Yes," She can hear Skywalker frown, "Do you know who that is?"

"More like I know what that is." She turns to look at the Knight. "It is a codename."

His frown deepens, "What does it mean?"

"I believe it means 'light user' by definition." Jocasta folds her hands over each other on her lap. "I have not heard that codename be used in many years. In fact, I believe that the last time it was used was during the Mandalorian-Jedi war."

Skywalker looks perplexed, "That was so long ago though. Is it a Mandalorian terrorist group or something?"

"Quite the opposite." Jocasta shakes her head, "Lux Usor is a codename for the Jedi Order. Specifically, the Jedi Council."

In the dim lighting, Skywalker goes pale, and Jocasta nearly offers him the chair before he collapses. "Why was the codename used in the Mandalorian-Jedi war?"

"Hm." She turns to the computers, tries not to focus on the distressed Knight as she accesses a handful of files. "The Archives say that the Council used this codename to hire terrorists to sneak behind Mandalorian lines and take out command posts, communication towers and strategy bunkers."

"So, the codename was used to hire people to sneak behind enemy lines to dismantle plots?" Skywalker asks.

"I believe so, yes." Jocasta can't help but smile, remembers how reluctant young Skywalker used to be to learning when he was a young Padawan.

"I think I have everything I need." Skywalker stands, "Thank you, Master."

"My pleasure, young one." She has a feeling the information she just gave him has somehow provided him with a sense of relief.

///

He's caught off guard to see Hardeen's most recent employer is the Jedi Council, but on the walk back to the Halls of Healing, Anakin realises what exactly has occurred.

For all he disagrees with the Council, they're a smart bunch.

After hearing Obi-Wan's report about Hardeen shooting Ahsoka, they probably realised he was the perfect bounty hunter to go behind enemy lines and dismantle the plan to kidnap the Chancellor.

Quite smart when he thinks about it. He wonders how much the Council's paying Hardeen to do their dirty work.

Sometimes, the almighty Jedi are genuinely no better than the criminals they're trying to stop.

The sun is just setting when Ahsoka starts to return to normal. She's tired, and Tyson offers to wait another day to try the new leg, so she feels more energetic, but his Snips isn't going to give up that easily.

"Take your time." Anakin says, making sure his grip on Ahsoka is completely secure as she places her bare feet on the ground. "I've got you, okay? I'm not going to let you go."

When he lost his forearm, he remembers Obi-Wan repeating the same words as he tried lifting a jug of water for the first time. He knows exactly how Ahsoka feels, and she's taking everything in her stride.

"The floor's cold." She says, her sharp nails digging through his tunic. "I can feel it in the prosthetic."

"That's your Master's fancy altercations." Tyson says from where he is leaning over the bed, helping Ahsoka stand with some gentle support on her lower back.

"We should really get a name for that new leg of yours; I'm sure the boys can come up with something." Anakin says, keeping the atmosphere relaxed as Ahsoka rises off the edge of the bed with support from both men.

She jolts in his grip, "I've got you, Snips."

"It feels strange, I don't like it." Already, she's trying to sit back down, and Anakin helps lower her until Tyson shakes his head at him.

"Look at me." He says quietly, waiting until her eyes lift to his. She looks like she's about to burst into tears. "Do you trust me?" She nods, "Then trust that I won't let you fall, okay?"

"I can't hold onto you properly with this useless arm." She whines, frustration seeping into her tone as she aimlessly shakes her left arm.

"I'll hold your waist then." Anakin shifts his arm from her elbow to her waist, "Better?" He waits until she nods, "Good, we're going to take a step now. Remember, I've got you and I promise you won't fall. All you need to do is trust yourself."

"Okay." She blows out a long breath and leans closer to his chest before he feels her lift her prosthetic leg.

With her eyes clenched tight, she takes a step forward.

She nearly buckles as she puts her weight onto the prosthetic, but Anakin doesn't let her fall. Supporting her physically and through their bond, he waits until she finds her feet and moves the prosthetic as if it's her own leg.

"There you go!" Tyson praises once she joins her feet together again. "Nice work, Ahsoka."

She opens her eyes and looks up at Anakin as if she's unsure if she had managed it or not. Anakin smiles proudly down at her, "Great job, Snips. See? Not so hard. Ready for a few more?"

Taking another deep breath, Ahsoka nods and a fresh flame of determination ignites in her eyes. She's a stubborn thing- just like him- and no amputated leg is going to get in her way.

///

"Coric, come on!" Fives shouts behind him, laughter heavy in his tone. "No need to be so dramatic!"

The medic says nothing, gritting his teeth together and opening the door to Rex's office. Rarely used, every surface is covered by a thick sheet of dust and the trash can is over-spilling.

The mess stresses him out, but cleaning can wait.

"Sit down, Fives." Coric says, going to lean against the back wall.

The ARC ignores him, standing near the door with his arms crossed over his chest. "Are you actually going to discipline me?"

"Don't tempt me." The Sergeant warns, "What you said back there was completely inappropriate."

"It was a joke!" Fives laughs, leaning against the opposite wall.

Coric takes a few deep breaths. Medics have unmeasurable amounts of patience, but this is testing his limits.

Really, Rex should be the one dealing with this, but the Captain was called to an emergency meeting, putting his Second in charge of supervising the clones whilst they chose a name for Commander Tano's new prosthetic leg,

Naming a fake limb has to be one of the most pathetic things Coric has ever heard of, but if the General thinks it'll cheer Ahsoka up, then he'll hold his tongue about how silly it is to get emotionally attached to a metal prosthetic.

Some of the men gave alright suggestions, and Coric was starting to enjoy their discussion about the gender of the Commander's new leg until Fives opened his mouth to give his own propose his own idea.

Now, the shinies are bombarding every veteran in the Legion with one question: who's Melody Amitrix?

"You compared our underage Commander to a sex worker who had her leg cut off due to an STD, Fives." Coric snaps, his left eye twitching. "Imagine what the General would do if he heard you say that."

Before 79s became the hotspot for clones on Coruscant, there was a slightly more promiscuous club. Coric can't remember the name of it- he tries to block the memories of that place out. Generally, medics steered away for that place due to the number of germs and diseases being passed around.

A disease was the reason why Melody Amitrix- an exotic dancer in this establishment- made it to the front page of the HoloNet following a steamy night with a clone officer who is now 'officially discharged from duty'. Amitrix picked up a rather nasty infection from this officer, and less than a week later was admitted to hospital to have her leg amputated.

That is why Coric doesn't go within six feet of strippers.

"Skywalker would have your head." He barks, "I never want to hear you calling the Commander that!"

The ARC looks amused, "I wouldn't actually call her that, Coric. Even if I did, Ahsoka and I are close." He lifts up his hand and crosses two fingers, giving the Sergeant a visual representation of their friendship. "She'd get the joke."

"That's Commander Tano to you, trooper." Ahsoka may not mind the clones dropping her title, but Coric does.

A sly smirk climbs onto Fives' face, "You mustn't have heard how the General and Healer Che found the Commander and I this morning. It certainly wasn't very professional."

"Oh, I know about your little strip show." Rex steps into the room, making Fives jump out of his skin at the sight of their Captain. He looks knackered; dark stubble lining his face and huge bags under his eyes.

Coric frowns, he's tempted to admit the Captain to the medbay until he starts taking care of himself again.

"Sir, you-"

"Coric," Rex cuts him off, already knowing what he's about to say. "Thank you, I'll take it from here."

///

Coric hesitantly leaves the office, glaring at Fives as he closes the door behind him. Rex takes a long, hard look at the ARC.

He can't believe he gets back from one of the most dragged-out meetings he's ever witnessed to find two shinies at the door, nervously asking who Melody Amitrix is and why Ahsoka's leg will be named after her.

Saying he's unimpressed with Fives; recent behaviour is putting it nicely.

"You do know the Commander's a teenager, right?"

Fives raises his hands defensively, "Hey, I'm younger than she is. It's not like she saw any of the goods."

Rex shakes his head, "Do you know how humiliating it is to hear that one of my men- an ARC trooper- has been behaving inappropriately in the kriffing Jedi Temple?!" He crosses his arms over his chest, "Is it true that you brought up Melody Amitrix in a discussion about Commander Tano's amputated leg?"

Fives rolls his eyes, and Rex genuinely feels like he's dealing with a cocky shiny, not one of his best friends and most loyal soldiers. "I only brought Melody up to make the vets laugh, Rex. I wasn't being serious."

"I don't think any of the vets found it very funny." Yes, Melody Amitrix is a big joke in the GAR and amongst the 501st veterans, but comparing their Commander to a stripper probably get a laugh out of any of them. "Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time for joking around whilst you're on dish duty."

"Dish duty as a punishment for making a joke? You're not the boss of me anymore, Rex." Fives argues.

"No," Rex replies smoothly, "Dish duty as a punishment for getting us all banned from visiting the Commander."

The ARC's face falls, "What do you mean?"

"Healer Che said that we are no longer permitted to visit the Commander following this morning's incident. The General told me earlier- he can't do anything about it."

Fives' eyes widen, "Because I dressed in front of Ahsoka? Kriff, you can tell that woman has never spent a day on the battlefield if she thinks clone nudity is the same as actual nudity."

"You should've known better, Fives." Rex scolds.

"I didn't know she would ban the whole kriffing Legion from visiting Ahsoka!" Fives exclaims, throwing his arms in the air.

Rex's heart suddenly aches for the kid. He remembers how Fives' voice went shaky when he told him over the comm that Ahsoka had been injured in the first place. Out of all his men, Fives took the news worse than anyone else.

"Healer Che was getting sick of us being there anyways. If she could, I reckon she would ban the General too." Rex says, hoping to make the ARC feel less guilty. It may be his fault, but he'll be his Captain through and through. Sometimes, that means taking accountability.

"So, nobody can visit her?" Fives asks, "What about Sergeant Coric or Kix? Can you visit her?"

He shakes his head, walking over to the ARC, "Not for a while." He squeezes Fives' shoulder when his head drops. "We can talk to her over the comm, and she's close to being discharged anyways."

"But..." The ARC straightens, defensively pulling out of Rex's grip, "she's lonely. She hates in there."

"I know." The Captain smiles sadly, "Skywalker's back now, so he can stay with her. Kenobi too, and Senator Amidala."

"They aren't us." Fives says lowly, "They can't make her laugh like we can- well, maybe Skywalker can." He shakes his head, "she needs her brothers, Rex."

"We'll be there for her," Rex promises, "we're only a call away."

Fives sinks back further, distancing himself from Rex. It's a natural reflex many ARCs have- brought on by so much isolation whilst on missions. Fives' forgotten what it's like to trust his vode with his emotions.

As if on cue, Fives' pager goes off on his belt, "ARC-5555, you are required in briefing room S2. ARC-5555, you are required in briefing room S2."

The ARC groans, "Well, I guess that's it for my leave."

Rex presses his lips together. The poor kid is burning the candle at both ends. Half a day is hardly enough time to unwind from his last mission. He wishes he could give Fives a pass, but his rank isn't high enough to keep an ARC trooper on Coruscant when they're needed in the field.

"I'll update you if anything changes with Ahsoka."

"You better." Fives says, and he tries to use a teasing tone, but it just comes out as aggressive. The atmosphere in the room is too tense- it's suffocating. "I better get going."

Rex nods, watching the ARC move towards the door, "Take it easy, vod. Hopefully, when you get back, everything will be normal again."

"I hope so." Fives says before pulling on his helmet. "Goodnight, Captain."

///

By the time Obi-Wan mentally prepares himself for the conversation he's about to have with Anakin, it's nearly midnight.

Better late than never, wise one.

He pokes his head inside Ahsoka's room to see Anakin pulling a sheet over her sleeping form. There's an outline of the prosthetic leg beneath the thin blanket, and he can only hope it hadn't been too overwhelming for her.

Force knows, Anakin struggled when he first got his prosthetic.

"Obi-Wan." Anakin greets him as he exits the room- his voice gruff from exhaustion and stress.

"Anakin." He matches the younger Knight's low tone and catches up with him, "How did she get on?"

His former student's lips flicker into a smile, "Great, actually. She was walking up and down this corridor until 1130."

"Wow," Obi-Wan can't help but express his shock at how quickly she's adjusted, "that's impressive."

"That's Ahsoka- always impressing us." Anakin sighs, exiting the Halls of Healing and immediately starting towards his quarters.

"Anakin, I need to speak to you." Obi-Wan trails behind him, his nerves building.

"What about?" The Knight asks, entering his quarters and kicking off his boots by the door. "If this is about Rako Hardeen being hired by the Council, then I already know."

Obi-Wan pauses, feels himself lick his lips, "You do?"

"Honestly, Obi-Wan, you think I'm stupid." Anakin chuckles dryly, "Is this a new tradition that the Council have adopted? Hiring Jedi killers to do their dirty work?"

He frowns, "I'm not sure if you really know what's going on here."

"Oh, I do." Anakin spins around to face him, eyes narrowing. "The Council saw Hardeen was a capable bounty hunter after he shot Ahsoka. When did they recruit him? After I arrested him?"

He has this all wrong, wise one.

Obi-Wan's half-tempted to go along with this false truth Anakin has come to believe in, but he can't.

"Hardeen was hired before we were attacked that night." Obi-Wan prepares himself to be thrown against the wall as soon as the truth leaves his lips. "You noticed I was wearing a bulletproof vest, right?"

Anakin's hands come up to pull at his hair, "I don't understand-"

"We- the Council- needed a Jedi on the inside to uncover the plot to kidnap the Chancellor on Naboo. I-" for a moment, he considers lying and saying that he had been assigned the mission without any choice, "I volunteered to go on the inside."

His former student's face is skewed with confusion.

Obi-Wan sighs heavily, "Hardeen was supposed to shoot me, Anakin. I was going to be proclaimed dead and go undercover as Hardeen."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.6K 48 13
Shot down on Ryloth by rebels, Vader and Sidious quickly discover a far more serious threat than the other insurgents: a Fallen Obi-Wan, determined t...
1.9K 55 12
An ordinary battle in the Clone Wars becomes complicated when, out of nowhere, a group of Sith appear from an alternate reality. The Sith want only o...
850 48 11
Killed on Mustafar by Sidious while attempting to rescue Vader, Ahsoka is reborn as Luke's adopted younger sister. She struggles with constantly reme...
31.8K 1.1K 102
This is a Star Wars fanfic where instead of Yoda assigning Ahsoka as Anakin's Padawan, he breaks the Jedi code and gives him an additional one. This...