Opposites Attract

By fallenxroses

In Khloe King's lame attempt to get over Hayden Ross, her neighbor, she agrees to move away with her mother t... More

opposites attract
01. secret crushes & surprises
02. dinners & discussions
03. apologies & disappointment
04. ex boyfriends & school projects
05. phone numbers & basketball teams
06. jealousy & shame
07. deep convos & decisions
08. parties & surprises
09. sisters & ice cream
10. skipped classes & long lasting smiles
11. hospitals & memories from the past
12. family & the truth
13. cheaters & photos
14. fast paced heart beats & fake smiles
15. drug tests & liars
16. trust issues & boy fights
17. secrets & confessions
18. police stations & complete chaos
19. love & despair
20. criminals & resentment
21. judgemental stares & denial
22. stomach butterflies & temptations
23. sweet nothings & large burgers
24. heartbreak & family arrangements
25. grandmothers & affection
26. hugs & kisses
27. hot boys & jail cells
28. first dates & spaghetti
29. court rooms & girl fights
30. business deals & basketball games
31. blackmail & broken marriages
32. passion & revenge
33. old secrets & new secrets
34. family dinners & stressful situations
36. new beginnings & heartfelt moments
37. missing friends & unforeseen plans 

35. engagement rings & realization

2K 61 6
By fallenxroses

I woke up to the birds chirping outside of my window and I was also wrapped tightly in Hayden's arms. I felt safe, happy, and relaxed, but as soon as I remembered the events that had previously happened yesterday night, I instantly felt panicked and I could feel my heart skipping beats.

I was at dinner with Hayden and his parents having an amazing time when mom calls me in a panic to tell me that Luna could've almost died if she wasn't rushed to the hospital.

Hayden and I went to the hospital, but Luna's surgery took a long time and she wouldn't be conscious for a while. Mom suggested that I go home with my dad, and with some convincing, dad also allowed Hayden to stay the night, while Andrew was at home with Alicia. Obviously, Alicia was not allowed anywhere near Luna, so Andrew was at home taking care of her.

But when I got up and glanced over at Hayden my heartbeat began to slow down, because he looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. His brown curly hair was a mess, sticking up in every direction, but he still managed to look so cute at the same time. It almost made me laugh.

"Khlo, didn't I tell you that staring is rude?" Hayden mumbled, as he sat up in my bed and stretched his shoulders. "Have some manners, babe."

A stupid smile emerged onto my lips as I wrapped my arms around Hayden's shoulders. "Shut up, you love it."

"I guess you're right." I felt Hayden squeeze my body tighter. "You usually have your way with me."

I pushed Hayden off of me and jumped off of my bed. "You're so funny." I laughed as I walked towards the bathroom.

Eventually, Hayden and I got ready for the day, and then we went downstairs to eat breakfast with my dad and Jules.

Jules had moved in with dad a while ago, and I couldn't have been happier for them.

"I see you kids have finally decided to join us." Dad laughed as he glanced over at Hayden and me. "Good morning,"

"Good morning," Hayden and I almost said in unison as we took a seat at the table.

"Don't be so hard on them, Will." Jules laughed as she took a sip from her coffee mug. "I must say, Khloe,  you picked a good one. Hayden is a very handsome young man. I remember the last time that you both came over here, you were pretending to be friends. Your father and I didn't buy it." She laughed, as she shook her head.

My jaw slightly dropped and when I glanced over at Hayden he was laughing. "Thank you, Jules. I do get that very often." Hayden raised his chin and I kicked his leg under the table. "Ouch," He quietly mumbled.

"Thank you, Jules." I smiled, "I am very lucky to have Hayden, but don't you think that he's luckier to have me? I mean, my looks are a killer."

Jules laughed loudly. "My bad, you're right. You are a very stunning girl, Khloe."

I nodded my head as I ate the eggs that were on my plate.

Dad hummed and I glanced over at him. "Now, Koko, don't get so ahead of yourself. Hayden is a very intelligent young man. I've known him since he was ten years old."

I covered my mouth to stop myself from laughing, "So did I, dad—"

"I very much approve of this relationship." Dad cut me off. "Hayden is like the son that I never had," He exclaimed as he patted Hayden on the shoulder.

Hayden started smiling as he mumbled something to my dad and my eyes widened. I then turned to look at Jules. "If I didn't know any better I would say that things are starting to get pretty weird. Since when did my own father start loving my boyfriend more than he loves me?"

Jules smiled at me sweetly. "Your father is something else." She gently touched my hand. "He just loves you, and wants what's best for you."

I glanced down at Jules's hand, not thinking anything of it, but when I saw a big shiny silver ring on her ring finger my jaw dropped and I let out a gasp. "What?" Jules genuinely looked concerned.

"You guys are getting married?" I screamed, and Hayden and my dad immediately stopped talking. "How could you not tell me?" I practically jumped out of my seat to give Jules a big hug. "Wow, congratulations!"

Hayden looked around the room in confusion. "I'm sorry, what's happening?" He questioned and I shook my head.

"I was going to announce it to you soon, Koko. But everything with your sister yesterday, I wasn't sure." Dad sadly smiled at me.

"Oh, wow, congratulations!" Hayden finally realized what was happening. "That's super awesome, man."

"Thanks, buddy." Dad smiled as he looked over at Hayden.

"Well, I get what you mean, but I'm super happy for you guys." I practically ran over towards my dad and wrapped my arms around his body. "I love you so much. You deserve this. I can't believe it."

"Woah, is Khloe getting emotional?" Dad laughed, and I shook my head. "Don't cry, Koko." He said softly, as he wiped the tears that had fallen onto my cheeks.

"I can't help it." I smiled brightly as I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm so happy for you guys."

"Thank you so much, sweetie!" Jules smiled at me. "I'm very happy as well. Willam is an amazing man and I've been very lucky to have found him."

Jules was an insanely beautiful woman and I was beyond happy that she was the lucky lady who would be marrying my father. "I just want to say that you're such a sweet girl, Khloe and so are you, Hayden." Jules glanced over at Hayden and he smiled in response. "I'm so grateful for you, and I would love to spend more time with you!"

"Of course," I smiled brightly at Jules. "I feel the exact same way! The happiness that I feel for you guys is unexplainable."

"So," Hayden clapped his hands together. "When's the wedding?" He smiled.

I laughed as I looked at my boyfriend. "Hayden! You're such an idiot."

"Hey," Hayden chuckled as he grabbed my hand and pulled me closer towards him. "What can I say? I love weddings."

Dad and Jules both laughed.

"I do too, honey." Jules smiled brightly. "I got so excited that I already started planning." She lowered her head. "At our age, time is so important and we don't want to waste any of it, and because Will is going to be my second husband, I'm excited to finally settle down for good. So the wedding will be very soon, within the next couple of months. It's going to be a small but very very special wedding."

"Yes, of course, I understand exactly what you mean." I clapped my hands together. "I'm just so excited for both of you. I'm happy that you know what you want, and the fact that you guys don't want to waste any time."

I remember that my father had told me that Jules was already previously married, and she had a daughter who was a little bit older than me, that I still have yet to meet.

Dad touched my hand softly. "You're my biggest support."

"I love you, Dad," I exclaimed.

✼ ✼ ✼

Later in the day, Hayden had left to go home and I was left alone, watching movies dad and Jules.

Suddenly dad's phone rang. He grabbed his phone off the table and looked concerned when he saw who was calling him. "Khloe," He said and I nodded my head quickly. "It's your mother. This is probably about Luna, I'll be in the other room." He got up and started to walk into the next room. "I'll tell you if there are any updates."

"Okay," I mumbled.

"I'm so sorry about your sister." Jules suddenly spoke and I glanced over at her. "When I first met your father, he told me all about Luna and my heart broke for her. I know that she's done some pretty terrible things, but please try to understand her pain." Jules said softly. "Your father is also taking this whole situation very hard. He feels insanely guilty and like he didn't do enough to help her." Jules paused. "He doesn't want anyone to know, but I just think that he would appreciate it if you came and visited him more often."

My lips turned down into a frown and I instantly felt horrible. "I had no idea, I'm sorry." I lowered my chin. "I really wish that he would've said something to me. It makes me feel worse that he felt like I wasn't making enough effort."

Jules quickly shook her head. "Oh, sweetie please, in no way did I mean to make you feel bad. I just meant that he knows that you're practically an adult, and he doesn't want to bother you or anything like that. You know what I mean, he feels like he already lost one daughter because Luna will be locked up for a very long time, so he doesn't want to miss any more time with you."

I swallowed hard to prevent myself from crying on the spot. "Of course, I know what you mean, and I know that you weren't trying to make me feel bad either. Thank you so much for being honest with me. I do agree with what you're saying and I would honestly love to spend more time with you guys, but so much is going on." I shook my head. "I'm trying the best that I can."

"Of course you are!" Jules exclaimed, "You're doing an amazing job, and I know that you're a very strong girl. I'm sure many people have told you this but you need to believe it. Things will always get better. No matter how hard everything seems right now, there is always a rainbow at the end of the storm, so trust me. Even if you have nothing else right now, the best thing to have is faith."

At this point, my emotions were beyond me and I could feel the tears slowly running down my cheeks. "Thank you so much, Jules, I needed that. I feel so safe here." I smiled softly at her.

Jules's warm blue eyes looked at me with compassion. "Come here, sweetheart." She wrapped her arms around my body in a tight hug. "You can always come to me with anything."

I nodded my head. "Thank you so much, I appreciate that."

"I have some news." Dad suddenly walked back into the room.

"What is it?" Jules and I both looked up at him. "Is it about Luna?" I questioned, quickly wiping my cheeks.

Dad nodded his head. "Yes, your mother just told me that Luna is now conscious, but still in a lot of pain. She'll have to stay in the hospital for a few days before she goes back to the psychiatric hospital, but it'll take two to four weeks for her to feel completely normal."

I raised my chin. "That's good to hear. I'm happy that she's okay."

Dad tilted his head. "She's now allowed to have visitors and she asked to see you." My jaw slightly dropped as I heard my dad's words. "Would you be willing to see her right now?"

I wanted to speak but every time that I opened my mouth, I couldn't find the right words to say.

"No pressure, Khloe." Jules quickly spoke. "Your father and I have kept in touch with her and your father has been watching her progress closely. Mental health is nowhere near easy, and everything takes time, but she has been doing a little bit better. Not as cold as she used to be, and we finally got her to admit that she knows what she did to Alicia was wrong. The next step is to help her to try and feel at least a little bit of empathy, although it is very hard for people with her disorder to feel that emotion."

"Okay," I shrugged my shoulders. "If she wants to see me I'll go see her."

Dad nodded his head, "Okay, I'm ready to leave now if you are."

"Sure," I got up and grabbed my phone.

Eventually, we were all in the car and on our way to the hospital.

"Hey, dad," I suddenly spoke and my dad glanced at me through the mirror that allowed him to see the back seat. "I was wondering if I could stay with you guys for a few days? I'll have to go home and pack some more clothes and get my car, but it would be awesome to spend more time with you and Jules. Maybe I can even help Jules plan some of your wedding?"

"Really?" Dad questioned, "You would want to do that?"

"Of course!" I nodded my head. "Don't sound so surprised." I laughed. "I love spending time with you guys so much, and I wish things weren't so crazy so we could do it even more."

Jules turned around from the passenger seat and smiled at me. "You're so sweet. I'm sure your father would love that." She then winked at me and I nodded my head in an understanding manner.

"That would be awesome!" My dad exclaimed, "I'm so happy that you asked. I'm sure your mother won't have a problem with it."

"Yes," I agreed, "I know that your house is a little farther from school but that's okay. As long as I go to all my classes she will be very happy." I said shoving my hands into my pockets. "Education is the key to a life she always says."

"Oh, she's right about that." Jules laughed.

Usually, if I did stay at my dad's house it was just for a weekend, but I would love to spend more time with him, and especially now after everything that Jules has told me.

Even though the drive to school would be longer, I didn't mind it at all. I was actually good at waking up early if I really needed to.

Eventually, we got to the hospital, and once we all got out of the car dad walked up to me. "I'm very excited to spend more time with you."

I wrapped my arms around dad's shoulders. "I love you."

My dad's warm hazel eyes looked up at me with happiness. "I love you too, Koko."

Once we got into the hospital, we went up to Luna's room, and we were met by my mom, who looked less stressed than yesterday but still stressed, to say the least.

"Mom, I feel horrible that you're here all alone." I gave her a quick and tight hug. "I could've stayed if you needed to."

Mom shook her head. "No, you don't need to worry about anything sweetie. Last night I went back home, and then I came back early this morning."

I nodded my head. "How is Alicia?" I questioned.

"She's doing the best that she can." Mom smiled sadly. "You know, this whole situation sucks."

I rubbed mom's shoulder gently. "We're going to get through this together."

Mom smiled at me and then her eyes shifted towards dad and Jules. "It's very great to see you both. Thank you for coming."

I wouldn't say that my parents were best friends, but they had an amazing relationship even after everything that happened during their marriage.

"Did dad tell you that they're getting married! I couldn't believe it, I'm so happy for them."

At first, mom looked surprised and then she smiled as she clapped her hands together. "Wow, that's amazing!" She exclaimed, "I'm really happy for the both of you, truly."

I could tell that mom's smile was so genuine because she truly did look happy for them. I love the fact that mom only wishes the best for my dad.

"Thank you so much!" Dad and Jules almost exclaimed at the same time.

"Wow," Mom gushed, "You guys must be so happy, let me hug you!" She walked towards Jules and gave her a hug and then the same to the dad.

They all started talking but I tuned out and my eyes travelled towards the end of the hall, where Luna's room was located.

Without saying anything, I walked towards her room and slowly entered it, not knowing exactly what I was doing or expecting.

Once I walked into Luna's room, my eyes almost immediately landed on her.

She was laying down on the hospital bed, with her eyes closed. She truly did look sick, with her already light skin, looking paler than usual, her once beautiful curly hair was a mess, and she even looked like she lost about ten pounds. I could feel the rate of my heart speeding up when I realized that my sister was slipping away right in front of my eyes.

I looked down and a gasp left my mouth when I noticed that her feet were chained to the hospital bed. It was almost like I forgot that she was sentenced to stay at the psychiatric hospital.

Luna then opened her eyes when she heard me gasp.

At first, she looked around the room and then her eyes landed on me standing by the door, looking like I had just seen a ghost.

"Khloe?" She called out and my eyes widened. "Come on, I'm chained to this bed, stop acting like I'm going to hurt you. I already did some convincing to get them to uncuff my hands, so they clearly trust me." She rolled her eyes.

I nodded my head as I walked more into her room. "I never know with you, Luna," I uttered.

Luna rolled her eyes again. "So, dad told you that I wanted to see you?"

I nodded my head. "He did."

Luna stared at me for a few seconds and I wasn't sure what she was looking for exactly, but then she suddenly spoke. "Why are you scared of me, Khloe? I never hurt you on purpose. I know that you don't believe it, but deep down I'm not a monster. I just can't feel emotions like normal people do." Luna mumbled frantically. "I'm in therapy and I'm trying, but I mentally feel pain every day."

I rubbed my face to stop myself from breaking down. "I know," I nodded my head. "I hate seeing you like this, honestly. I'm happy that you're going to recover, but I just don't understand why you didn't tell anyone that you were feeling pain in your appendix?"

"Because, Khloe, don't you see? It was God's punishment for everything that I've done. I think that I was supposed to die, but my therapist saw me collapse, and then she called 911."

My jaw dropped. "What are you talking about, Luna? You weren't supposed to—"

"I don't know, Khloe." Luna shook her head. "It's hard, you know. Everyone hates me because they know that I'm a narcissist, but this disorder isn't about loving myself at all. I actually don't love myself." Luna paused. "I have all these thoughts and ideas in my head and that's why I use and manipulate people for my own personal gain. And no, I really can't feel empathy, so it's really hard to feel bad for pathetic people. I know it's wrong but I can't stop it on my own."

At this point, I couldn't control the tears that were falling on my cheeks. "My whole life, you've hurt me and done many terrible things that I cannot support or forgive, but I'm sorry, honestly I really am. I wish the pain would go away." I wept, "My whole life I always wondered why you were trying to ruin my life, without thinking that you might be struggling with a mental disorder."

"Well, how were you suppose to know if mom and dad didn't tell you?" Luna questioned and I shrugged my shoulders. "I blame mom, she always wanted to keep it a secret and look where we are now? She wanted to believe that I was okay when she really knew that I never was. It's all too late. She failed me. They all did."

I didn't know if it was possible, but it felt like I could feel my heart breaking in my chest.

• • •
hey guys, i just wanted to spread awareness regarding mental illness, especially with luna's character. i'm not saying that anyone should forgive her for what she has done in this story, i just simply wanted to shine a different light and show people that she's also struggling and feeling the pain of dealing with a mental disorder!! thank you all so much for reading hehe. and y'all are probably shocked that i updated three times in one month lol.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

223K 7.9K 64
"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to see you with him or that I'm still not cra...
6.7K 474 59
He froze me with a dark half smile. "Oh, but I don't threaten, sweetheart. I just give warnings." .............................. Arielle Steelver has...
324 2 15
Maddison's life as a 22 year old, conquering New York, is the most ideal life you could see in a magazine. Possibly even mistaken her for a runway mo...
10M 517K 43
|| Featured FREE story with exclusive paid chapters - previously a paid story || When Haley discovers the truth behind Xavier, whose silence holds a...