The Tragic Hum Of A Fairy (Na...

melodyelaine द्वारा

Natsu and Lucy have been friends since the middle of kindergarten when Lucy moved into the town of Magnolia w... अधिक

Prologue
Chapter 1 - A New Enviroment
Chapter 2 ~ More Than Lunch
Chapter 3 ~ Walking and Running
Chapter 4 ~ Fights and Encounters
Chapter 5 ~ Talks
Chapter 6 ~ Locked Together
Chapter Seven ~ Backstory
Chapter 8 ~ Backstory (pt.2)
Chapter 9 ~ General Confusion
Chapter 10 ~ Feelings with a Touch of Dinner
Chapter 11 ~ Change of Plans
Chapter 12 ~ Just a Game
Chapter 13 ~ Danger, Plans Revealed
Chapter 14~ Gone
Chapter 15 ~ A Bad Day
Chapter 16 ~ Expect the Unexpected
Chapter 17 ~ The Dark
Chapter 18 ~ Caution
Chapter 19 ~ Why?
Chapter 20 ~ A Part of the Truth
Chapter 21 ~ Let The True Games Begin
Chapter 22 ~ A Dark Turn
Chapter 23 - Just In Time?
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 ~ Gilted Pain
Chapter 26 ~ The Race, Fairy Tail, is On!
Chapter 27 ~ A New Motive
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 - The Roar
Chapter 30 - Learning the Truth
Chapter 31 ~ Playing the Waiting Game
Chapter 32 - The Awakening
Chapter 33 - Is the worst over?
Chapter 34 - Say Something
Chapter 35 ~ Suspense
Chapter 36
Chapter 38 - Not Goodbye; See Ya Later

Chapter 37 - Almost Time

21 0 0
melodyelaine द्वारा

Natsu POV

I glanced around. At all the faces, trying to remember every detail. 

Gray as he held Juvia's hand behind his back, and pulled her back every time she tried to pull it out. Guess he still hadn't told everyone. 

Mirajane as she and Laxus held each other, their hands resting gently on top of the baby bump. 

Gajeel with his large arm on top of Levy's head. She tried to lift it, but he simply whistled and continued talking to Gray as if nothing was happening. 

Gildarts, trapped in a conversation with Lisanna and Gramps. Of course, the alternative was talking to me and I don't think he was ready for that either. 

Wendy held Happy, and they tried to comfort each other.

Even Erza had snuck out of her house to say goodbye. 

And Lucy. She stood right next to me, our hands interlocked, but hidden behind our legs. I couldn't let go of her. It was painful. Every part of me knew this was making it worse, but I didn't have the heart to fight any of this right now. 

After they had finished scolding me for taking off with Lucy, they went back to what they were doing. Maybe because my eyes turned to slits, maybe because they felt bad. 

Finally, she spoke, quietly, "You still don't have a time on when you'll be back?"

"They're not sure. There's quite a few things on their agenda for me to take out. I finally get to take out full towns, Luce," I forced a smile.

I glanced down in time to see her lips curl into a smile, "I know you've always wanted to do that."

My deep laughter filled the room, "I've always wanted to do it without getting in trouble."

Her chest expanded, the scarf resting on top, taking in what little oxygen we had left together. Silence filled the room, and I listened to the sound of her heart beating. Slowly and calmly, like the steady rhythm of fire crackling in a fireplace on Christmas. When I ran my thumb up and down her shoulder, it sped up, ever so slightly.

I could make her perfect heartbeat speed up.

Only I could.

Her voice pulled me softly from my quiet heaven, "I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go. But it's the only way the government will let me off the hook."

"Then we can go off and stay hidden from the government! Live off away from society in a volcano or something for you!"

Lucy POV

I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. My whole body was in a mess of broken pieces, and I wanted to run away with the boy I had just gotten to meet again. Sure, we knew each other as kids but I don't know him as an adult. I have to be high off the pain medication.

"Luce, I'll be back before you know it. There's no need for that. And besides, they'd find us. Trust me," he spoke quietly, in a hushed whisper, nustling his lips on my hair.

Gildarts shot him a glare. Natsu groaned and lifted his head, "Party poopers."

I chuckled. He was a mess. But he was my mess. 

His hand was warm, and I didn't want to let go. Truth be told, I didn't even know if I could let go. I didn't know when I would hold it again, or if I even would. Every part of me wanted to latch on to him and never let go. 

I didn't dare check the time. I didn't want to know how little time I had left with him. Would he come back the same way? Would the military change him beyond recognition? 

Would he remember what I told him? 

Would he keep his promise?

My eyes flickered past everyone who had helped up, risked their lives for us. My brain couldn't wrap around the idea that these people had just met me, and some of them barely knew Natsu and they were willing to go that far to save me. 

I landed my gaze on Gray and thought back to the conversation in my hospital room after I woke up. 

________________________________________________

Silence filled the room. Why hadn't Natsu said anything about me? Did he not see me?

Gray sighed, "Lucy, Natsu isn't the type of guy to just forget. He remembered you way after you left, and even when he didn't talk about you anymore, it was obvious that thinking of you made him happier. I... can't tell you everything but I can tell you that..." he paused, running a hand along the back of his neck, "there are about to be a lot of changes and..."

I sat up, grunting, "Gray, please." Tears were beginning to fall down my cheeks. I couldn't live with this pain anymore. 

"Natsu is about to go away and... a lot of what he wants to say he can't because it hurts. You and I both know that he isn't great at coming out and saying what he wants to say. It gets trapped in that thick skull of his."

My eyes widened, "Go away?"

He nodded, "You can't tell anyone I told you. He isn't happy about it either. It's..."

"The military," I replied, my heart sinking.

"Yeah," Gray's voice dropped off. 

Tears streaked down my face. I couldn't stop them. They would change him. I know they would. 

"But," Gray started, catching my attention, "If I know Natsu, and that stubborn pyro head wouldn't forget about you for eleven years, two years means nothing. Trust me, he'll be the same idiot when he gets back as when he leaves.  He's way too stubborn and thick-skulled for him to even understand they want him to change. So don't be upset. He'll be home before you know it."

__________________________________________________________________

Gray was right. Natsu wasn't good at sharing his feelings and it probably did hurt him to tell me he was leaving and hurt even worse to know how I felt and have to leave me alone. And he wasn't going to change. Even in eleven years of change, it took me barely a week to get him back to the way he was when he was five. 

A large beep caused me to jump and a woman's voice came over the announcements, "Train 243 to Crocus now boarding."

My stomach did a flip. This wasn't enough time. I needed more. 

Natsu let go of my hand as the rest of our friends turned and faced him, tears already beginning to well in their eyes. 

Levy was the first to break the circle of unmoving individuals. She ran up and embraced Natsu, "I'm glad you're back to normal. Go kick some ass so we can see you again." Shocked, Natsu finally embraced back, then they pulled away and Levy walked back to her place beside Gajeel. 

Juvia let go of Gray's hand and gave Natsu a hug next. "Juvia knows you will do great. Please, come back safe. Juvia hasn't gotten her double date yet and wants to have babies with Gray-sama," she whispered. Natsu chuckled, then she let go, giggling, and went back to Gray's arms. 

Gajeel took one step and pulled Natsu in for a man-hug. "Don't worry," he said, "I'll make sure the little slayer gets trained while you're gone. Dragonslayer to dragonslayer, don't screw this up." Then he walked back. Though, I could just barely see a tear trying to roll down his cheek. 

Mirajane threw herself onto Natsu, crying. Laxus followed shortly behind, simply smiling as his very pregnant fiancee attacked the dragon slayer. "I'll send you Christmas presents and birthday presents every year you're not here. But we're still having a party when you get back. It's going to be all the parties you missed combined into one." 

Natsu laughed, "I know we will. And it better be great. I expect a baby shower, Christmas, birthday, and maybe an engagement party."

Everyone laughed as Gray openly groaned and Juvia squealed. 

Mira regretfully let go of Natsu, and Laxus embraced him next, slapping his back, "Don't disappoint us, kid."

Then, Mira waddled back to the circle, Laxus guiding her with his hand on her back. 

Lisanna was the next to attack Natsu, knocking him to the ground. He groaned as she wailed, "Natsu! I'll help Mira plan the parties. You have to come back soon! Promise me you'll come back soon!" 

He laughed as she finally got off of him and they both stood up. Without warning, he embraced her, "Of course I'll come back. Somebody has got to get you hooked up."

A blush took over her face and without another word, she walked back next to Master, who was chuckling. 

Erza gave Natsu a hug with no warning, and he looked to be choking, drowning in her blessed chest. "Natsu, I know you will be just fine. After my time in the military, I know you will be treated with extra respect. Just don't act like a fool and you'll be fine. You are one of the strongest mages I have ever met and I know that Fiore will prosper." Natsu nodded, and she finally released him, but quickly turned around, her eyes on fire, "But if you don't write Gray or Lucy, I will find you, and find out exactly where you are."

"Yes, ma'am," Natsu saluted, and after fixing his salute, she went back to her place beside Gildarts. 

Wendy approached Natsu next, shyly shuffling up, tears rolling down her face. She sniffled, "Natsu, I just wanted to thank you again for saving me and helping me train. You were the only person who seemed to really understand what I was going through. You were the best dragon slayer-big brother I could've asked for and I-" Tears took over her speech as she ran up to Natsu and hugged him, soaking his black shirt with her tears. 

Without hesitation, Natsu hugged back, "I'm coming back. Then I'll watch you graduate and we'll take the world together, okay? Don't cry because you're sad. Only cry because you're happy. A new chapter is beginning." His voice started to crack at the end. 

Her sobs quieted and she nodded her head, slowly lifting it to look at his smiling face. Then, she hugged him again, before shuffling back beside Levy, who embraced her and rubbed her head. 

After that, the rest of the circle was gone, crying, sniffling, wishing he didn't have to go. 

Master took a deep breath and approached Natsu, who had collected himself after Wendy. "Natsu," the old man started, "You've been a strong spirit since the day I met you as just a tike. If anybody can handle this, it's you. But," Master roughly grabbed Natsu's ear and pulled him down, then Master used his magic to enlarge his head, "If you embarrass the name of Fairy Tail, I will find you and make you wish you'd never been born." Natsu was pushing away on his head, screaming and cursing as he did. And when Master finally let go, Natsu stumbled back, rubbing his now red and swollen ear. 

Natsu screamed, "What the hell, Gramps?! I'm about to leave and risk my life and that's your last words to me?!"

Master yanked Natsu down and embraced him, "Of course not. I know you'll do great things. Come back in one piece. I might hand you a diploma."

Then, he let go, his eyes watering, and walked back. Natsu had a couple of tears rolling down his cheeks but managed to collect himself before Gray walked up. 

"Man, it's been one hell of a year, hasn't it?" Gray stated. 

Natsu chuckled darkly, "You can say that again."

For just a moment, I thought that was their interaction. It was... definitely a Natsu and Gray interaction, and I wouldn't expect any different. 

But then, a single tear rolled down Gray's cheek and the two boys embraced each other, patting each other on the back. 

"Come back in one piece. Alive," Gray choked out before they released each other and Gray held out his hand. 

Natsu wiped a tear away and slapped Gray's hand, "I'll come back alive enough to kick your sorry ass into marrying her."

Gray chuckled, "I look forward to it." Then he walked back and pulled Juvia in. Only now, his back was to us and I could just barely see his back convulsing as Juvia rubbed it.

Happy was gone as he flew from Wendy's arms, into Natsu's. "Natshu," he cried, burying his furry little face into Natsu's shoulder, "What am I gonna do when you're gone? Lushee doesn't keep good food in her house." I rolled my eyes. 

Natsu chuckled, "You'll have to show Luce how to fish, then when I get back, we'll all go fishing together."

Happy seemed satisfied by this answer, nodding, but still sobbing into Natsu. Finally, he pulled away and flew back to Wendy, who held him tight and cried. 

Gildarts was barely trying to hold anything back when he walked up to Natsu, quickly pulling him into a hug and I could see Natsu shuddering, trying to hold back what wanted to come out. "Kid, I always knew you'd do great things. From that day I found you in the woods, to this very day, I never lost faith in you once. I never saw myself as a dad and now I have a real daughter and an amazing adopted son. Go out there, and don't hold back. Show them how strong you've become and that dragon slayers aren't foes, but allies that deserve respect."

I couldn't stop the waterfall that came pouring down my own face at this point. Natsu was sobbing as well. He had stayed so strong for everyone, including me. It wasn't shocking that the man who had cared for him since he was a kid was the one who was able to finally make his emotions come crashing down. 

"Dad," Natsu cried softly. Some might have thought he was talking about Gildarts but Gildarts and I both knew he was talking about Igneel. Though Gildarts had raised him, Igneel was his first father. The one who taught him about being a slayer, how to protect himself, how to be the man he is today. 

Gildarts chuckled, "I know he would be so proud of what you have become."

They released their embrace and wiped away their tears. Gildarts gave him one last pat and walked back to join the others. He quietly ushered them away from me and Natsu.

Then it was just us.

______________________________________________________________________________________

*I don't own Fairy Tail

~MelodyElaine

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

151K 3.6K 34
Natsu Dragneel is the schools bad boy at Fairy Tail High. He's battle scarred from fights and follows his own rules. He rides a motorcycle and wears...
383K 12.7K 20
Natsu is a new student at Fairy Tail High. He makes friends quickly with his athletic charm. He knows who Lucy Heartfillia is. But he doesn't see he...
8.5K 185 16
Natsu returns from a year since he left Fairy tail to become stronger. But in the time he left Fairy Tail disbanded. What happens when he realizes hi...
267K 9.5K 30
Lucy Heartfillia is a young and beautiful girl. She is an elite general of the capital army of Magnolia. She has a caring father, friends, and is ve...