Devika - A journey unbound by...

By Crystalline0702

When the one she had married betrayed her, Queen Devika's world came crashing down. After losing her kingdom... More

1: Goblet of Poison
2: 7 years old
3: The Fugitive
5: Marriage Woes
6: Start of training
7: The Poison Master
8: Trust Issues
9: Culprit and Suspects
10: Competition
11: Cooking
12: Game Changer
13: Explanation
14: Beheading
15: Apologies
16: Test of Skills
17: Promises
18: Holiday
19: Shrine
20: Ancestor
21: Planning
22: Grandparents
23: Grandparents II
24: Past and Present
25: The Truth
26: A Wedding
27: Three years later
28: Parchment
29: Outing
30: Outing II
31: An Idea
32: Archery Competition
33: The Challenge
34: The Aftermath
35: Diverging Paths
36: Akash's Woes
37: Akash's Woes II
38: A Rescue
Treasure Found
40: Akash's Courage
41: Akash's Courage II

4: Memories

4.3K 222 3
By Crystalline0702

When the sun rose, Devika woke up as well. She had a fitful sleep with memories of past haunting her.

-------------------------

"I Bijlal Kumar, the King of Gauda Kingdom hereby declare my son, Bhadra's, engagement to Devika, the only Princess of Nala Kingdom. Let the rings be exchanged." the King announced it to everyone present.

The two of them exchanged rings as the priest started chanting holy mantras. Her happiness knew no bounds and her lips were curved in a smile which clearly stated her joy. Devika glanced shyly at Prince Bhadra only to see him looking at the ring on his finger and frowning. She was surprised, but then remembered that her father had informed her about Bhadra's cousin, another prince of Gauda Kingdom, planning a coup. She knew that her father had informed King Bijlal about it and offered his help. Devika felt that Bhadra might be worried about it. Hence she lightly placed a hand on top of his and gave him a reassuring smile. He returned a blank expression to her.

After the ceremony, she wanted to ask him if everything was fine but didn't get a chance as her friends and cousins from the noble families surrounded them and started chatting away. When the celebrations were over, Prince Bhadra left with his family without throwing a single glance at her. Although she was a bit upset at his attitude, she understood that he must be worried for the future of his kingdom. After all, a family member's betrayal is hard to digest.

------------------------------

Devika sat on the marital bed in her full bridal outfit and make up. She looked like a beautiful red rose, inviting the viewer to have a whiff of it's scent. Dreams of a beautiful night and worries of unknown future were warring in her heart.

While waiting for Crown Prince Bhadra Kumar to arrive in their bedroom, Devika slowly started to nod off. She woke up in the morning when a few maids came to rouse her and help her get ready for the day. She was a bit saddened and confused as to why Bhadra didn't come to their bedroom for their special night.

When she stepped out of her room after dressing up nicely, she saw a lot of servants rushing around the palace decorating it's every inch. Surprised she stopped a maid and asked her, "Why are you decorating the palace? Is there any special event today?"

"Yes, Crown Princess. Today the Crown Prince, Bhadra Kumar, is getting married to Lady Mandira, the youngest daughter of the Prime Minister. We have been instructed to decorate the palace grandly." the maid explained humbly.

Angered at the words of the maid, Devika had rushed to find Bhadra only to be informed that he had already left for the wedding venue. Since she was a married lady, leaving her home without the permission of her in laws was not possible for her. When the wedding party returned with the new bride, Devika was holed up in her room, crying her heart out.

A newly wed bride was thrown aside in exchange for another woman. Nothing could have insulted Devika more than this. She knew that Bhadra was a Crown Prince and she would have to accept sharing him with other women. But she had assumed that it would be some time in future and not the next day of their marriage.

-----------------------

Soon after Bhadra married to Mandira, the days took a bad turn for Devika. The palace servants lost interest in her and though they treated her politely, they placed Mandira's word above hers. According to the servants, Mandira was Bhadra's first love and hence was truly loved by him. Devika, on the other hand, had came between two lovers and hence was often ignored and left alone in her chambers. Bhadra never entered her chambers or called her to spend time with him. Thus, she was surprised when one fine morning Bhadra entered her chambers.

"What are you doing here, my husband?" Devika asked, her voice polite but not happy.

"Tomorrow is my coronation ceremony. As per the laws of our country, if the to be coronated King is married then his first wife sits with him to perform rites. Although you are my first wife, I would like to be accompanied by Mandira." Bhadra informed her.

"You want to give my rights to her? Why? What have I done to incur your anger?" Devika cried out in anger. She turned away from him and said, "I refuse to give up my rights, Prince Bhadra. If that's what you wanted to discuss with me then you may leave."

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Bhadra asked maliciously. "In our culture, a wife must place her husband equal to God himself. How can you refute the words of your God?"

Devika turned to face him and replied, "It's simple. We aren't husband and wife in the truest sense of the word, are we?"

A slap echoed in the room and Devika fell to the side. She looked back at Bhadra with eyes full of tears and grievances. Bhadra just sneered at her and left the room. A bruise mark was starting to form on her skin. The princess who was raised with love and care would definitely break down when she was treated roughly but Devika prevailed.

The next day, Devika didn't want to attend his coronation ceremony as she knew that he would only insult her further if she was present. However her plan to hide out in her room was doomed to fail.

Her mother in law, the current Queen of Gauda kingdom, came to her chambers with the robes to wear for the coronation ceremony. Apparently she had heard what happened yesterday from the servants and had berated Bhadra for his decision. Inspite of everything, Bhadra had still wanted Mandira to perform the rites with him. Finally Bijlal had intervened and gave his last order to Bhadra as a King. The result of the debate was that Devika was to sit with Bhadra in the ceremony and perform all the rites while Mandira was to stay away from the venue.

Devika attended the ceremony and the royal priest started the rites. A small fire was lit in the fire pit and offerings of ghee, flowers were made. A group of priests who were subordinates of the royal priest started chanting prayer to the household deity of the royal family.

Bhadra and Devika stood next to each other, but it seemed as if there was a huge distance between them. Devika's face bore a soft smile and the anger of yesterday's altercation was nowhere to be seen. Her face was covered with proper makeup that hid the ugly mark of the slap without ruining her looks. She looked ethereal in the robes of a Queen. The jewelry on her body accentuated her delicate beauty.

The royal priest then turned towards them and said, "My King, as the first act of your reign you must donate something to the public in form of an offering. What it is that you would like to give?"

Bhadra smiled, he had prepared a portion of his wealth to give out today. He said loudly, "I want to offer 10 chests of gold coins, 20 chests of silver, ten elephants, 50 cows, and 100 bags of grains to the public." His voice carried to the crowd and people cheered lightly.

The royal priest offered him a faint smile. He then turned to Devika and said, "My Queen, as the first act of your reign you must donate something to the public in form of an offering. What it is that you would like to give?"

Bhadra scoffed looking at her. He didn't think she would be willing to give very much and even if she wanted, she hadn't prepared anything for today. Devika looked at the crowd for a moment thinking deeply. She then turned to face the priest and said in a clear voice, "I want to offer my life to the public. My wisdom to guide, my courage to protect, my kindness and my care all will be given to my people dedicated for their betterment."

The royal priest was shocked at her words and everyone who heard her words were stunned. No Queen had ever publicly stated to dedicate her life towards the subjects. A silence reigned in the venue. Bhadra laughed silently, thinking that she would be humiliated thoroughly by the people.

However slowly a clapping sound could be heard, which was followed by another and soon the entire venue was echoing with thunderous claps. Shocked, Bhadra turned to see his parents clapping with a proud expression on their face. Looking at the crowd praising Devika, his expression darkened. Angry eyes turned to her, but she didn't look at him once.

She had decided that since Bhadra didn't want her as his wife, she wouldn't chase after him anymore. She would live her life for her subjects of Gauda and Nala kingdom. Devika then went on to develop schools, medical facilities, better transport facilities for the common man. This raised the image of Queen Devika in the hearts of common people.

-------------------------

'Perhaps that was the moment when Mandira started to truly hate her.' Devika sighed as she remembered the past.

Getting up from the bed, she walked towards the window facing east. She looked at the rising sun and pledged to herself, "Love destroyed me in my past life. In this lifetime, I will never fall in love. The sole purpose of my life would be to help my father and my kingdom become happy and prosperous. No one would be able to belittle me, my family or my kingdom ever."

The rising sun bore witness to her pledge. She turned and walked away from the window, her words echoing in the empty chambers of her maiden home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 210 15
π˜“π˜°π˜·π˜¦ 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘯𝘰 𝘣𝘰𝘢𝘯π˜₯𝘴... Avyukt, the shunned prince of the North, craved power and revenge on his father and brother. But he forgot...
692K 99.7K 53
Yaduvanshi series #2 A second chance romance If you want to read a story which make your eyes weep and heart bleed but then make you giggle and shy...
3.5K 306 21
In a world where the Wheel of Time broke its rules for one individual soul, granting access to flow through the passages of time and Yugas to fulfil...
5.6M 301K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...