You are Mine

By MarieHiggins

Jessica Simone has earned her nursing degree, and when she's sent to a hospital in Nebraska, she feels the Lo... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Epilogue

Seven

814 91 2
By MarieHiggins

Wyatt stared out the window... because he could. Doctor Jackson didn't know what kind of privilege it was just to see more than a few minutes a day when the doctor changed his bandages. But today, he felt like he could jump with excitement and run around the hospital, enjoying his sight as much as he could. He would always cherish God's gift. And once he finally gained his memory, that would be another thing he could cherish.

One more of God's gifts was having a sweet angel as his nurse. He prayed that he was the man she thought him to be, because her presence made him happy. His heartbeat skipped every time he heard her voice, and every time she walked by his bed, he wanted to stop her and have her visit with him just to stare at her lovely face.

From nearby, he smelled a hint of Jessica's flowery perfume, and he whipped his gaze toward the nearest door. His hopes sank when it was Nurse Tweed coming toward him instead of his dear Jessica. The older nurse wore a scowl. Then again, she always looked this way.

"Good afternoon," he greeted politely.

"Doctor Jackson shouldn't have removed your bandages. Your burns have worsened."

What was she talking about? Even the doctor had noticed this morning a remarkable difference. Immediately, he was on the defensive. Putting on his bandages meant covering his eyes. He shook his head. "Doctor Jackson will check me tomorrow morning to see if I've improved or worsened."

"Well, I'm your nurse, and I will do as I see fit." She reached in the medical supply bag that Doctor Jackson usually carried when changing Wyatt's dressings. She pulled the chair closer to his bed and sat. "Lie still while I put this ointment on your face."

As she lifted the bottle to pour some out, Wyatt lifted his hand, stopping her. "No!" Irritation coated his voice, and he hoped the woman would get the hint and leave. Instead, she arched an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, but you don't have a choice. You're a patient here – and while you're in this ward, you are also considered a prisoner."

Wyatt fisted his hands. How dare she make him sound like a criminal? And yet... maybe he was. After all, he was in this ward with the other deserters, so what if he was a criminal?

"Yes, ma'am," he grumbled. If he tried to physically stop her, she would have the sheriff arrest him immediately.

She gave him a smug look and poured some ointment on her fingers before reaching out to him. "This will sting slightly, but just grit your teeth."

"Hold on," he said again, grasping her wrist to stop her. His twisting gut told him something wasn't right.

"Now what?" she snapped.

"What kind of ointment is this? Doctor Jackson usually applies medicine to my burns, but he's never used this. It doesn't smell like the ones he's used before." And it definitely didn't smell like Jessica's creams.

She huffed. "If you question my authority one more time, I'll summon the sheriff. Is that clear?"

He really couldn't do anything, especially with her in charge. He glanced at the other men in the ward. All of them looked his way with wide eyes. Most of the men looked panicked, too.

"Take your hand of me. Now."

He did as she asked, even if he didn't want to. Indeed, he was a prisoner in this ward.

The ointment touched his burn and stung. When Doctor Jackson first started administering medicine to Wyatt's face, it was his burns that stung. This time, even the areas that were not burned stung. Closing his eyes, he took her advice and gritted his teeth, but the pain only increased.

"Stop that!"

The sound of Jessica's upset voice made him open his eyes. Excitement jumped inside him, and he prayed she was here to save him.

Jessica grabbed the other nurse's wrist and yanked it away from his face. Jessica took a wet cloth and dabbed it on his face where the older nurse had started to coat.

"What do you think you're doing?" Nurse Tweed stood up so fast, it toppled her chair over.

The older woman's glare could cut glass as she stared at Jessica. Thankfully, Jessica didn't cower. His angel was so small compared to the stout older woman, but he was certain Jessica could hold her own.

"I'm stopping you from touching this patient... that's what I'm doing." Jessica lifted her chin in defiance. "Doctor Jackson wants Wyatt's face to breathe the air since he is finally healing, and if you have any qualms about that, you'll have to take it up with the doctor."

"Listen here, Nurse Simone," Nurse Tweed snarled, "I'm the head nurse, not you. I'm the one who makes these decisions, not you. And if you can't abide by the hospital's rules, then perhaps you need to find somewhere else to work."

Squaring her shoulders, Jessica slowly stepped in front of the other woman, keeping the glare on her face. "Actually, Nurse Tweed, you are not the one who makes the decisions in regards to the patients' welfare. Just because you are head nurse does not make you the head of the hospital. The doctors will always be in charge, and we – as nurses – will follow their guidance and do as they request. Because that is exactly what nurse's do. We, as nurses, do not have the right to do whatever we please. Instead, we do what is right for the patients and the doctors."

Wyatt's heart swelled. If he could applaud, he would. As he glanced at the other men in the room, he could tell they were impressed with Jessica, as well.

The older woman's face wrinkled more from her angry expression, and her face grew redder. Wyatt was sure her head would explode at any moment. That wouldn't be a pretty sight.

"You will not get away with this." Nurse Tweed's grated voice was low and threatening. "I promise you that I'll have your nursing certificate taken away so fast it'll make you dizzy."

Jessica sighed, shaking her head. "You can try, but I'm sure your certificate will be taken away before mine will."

Grumbling, Nurse Tweed stuffed the ointment and bandages back in the medical bag and marched out of the room. The moment the door slammed closed, all the patients in the room cheered and applauded for Jessica. Her smile grew wide and her cheeks turned pink. Gratitude showed on her expression as she looked at each one.

She turned and picked up the chair, placing it beside the bed and sitting. Her eyes twinkled when she looked at him, and his heart leapt. "You are wonderful."

Slowly, she shook her head. "I was only doing what most good nurses would do – try to help their patients."

He motioned his head toward the door. "Nurse Tweed wouldn't be considered in that group."

"No, she wouldn't. I don't even know why she still nurses when it's clear she doesn't enjoy it."

He took her hand and cradled it gently, staring into her eyes. How he wished he remembered her. She had such a kind heart, and such caring eyes. "Jessica?" He kept his voice low, hoping only she would hear. "Would you think it's too soon if I told you that I think I'm in love with you?"

Sighing, her smile trembled as her eyes became watery. "Have you remembered?"

"No, but I feel as if I should love you."

She patted his hand. "I desperately want you to remember me. I want to know that you love me because of what we shared while growing up, instead of what I've helped you with as a nurse."

Disappointment filled him and he slowly pulled his hand away. "I'm sure a lot of patients fall in love with you."

She chuckled. "Actually, this is the first hospital I've worked in. While attending school, we were given opportunities to help doctors out at the hospitals nearby, but we learned in groups. So, no... I've never had my patients fall in love with me, but I have heard that it happens."

"Then I pray that my memory will open soon, because then you'll believe me when I say I'm falling in love with you."

The chime from the Grandfather clock in the hallway caught Wyatt's attention for a moment as he listened as the clock struck five times. His heart sank. "Your shift is over."

"Yes, unfortunately."

"I don't trust Nurse Tweed."

"Neither do I." She frowned. "But before I leave, I'll check with Doctor Jackson and let him know what happened earlier. He'll keep an eye on you." She stood. "But in the meantime, do not let that nurse give you anything for your burns."

He shook his head. "Your creams and ointments are the only medicines I need... besides your company, that is."

"I'll be back tonight," she whispered before turning and leaving the room.

He would now count the hours until he saw her again. Time couldn't pass quick enough.

* * * *

Jessica was out of sorts the rest of the day. She couldn't stop herself from worrying about Wyatt... about Nurse Tweed... and especially, about Hugh. He had promised to find out what was going on with Nurse Tweed and the unnamed man who was with her. When Jessica had caught Laura giving that ointment to Wyatt, her fear escalated. That woman would obviously put her career in jeopardy just to punish Wyatt. But why? To the hospital, he was nothing but a John Doe. So, then why did Laura want to make sure Wyatt never remembered?

Without Jessica at the hospital keeping an eye on him, would something terrible happen? Before she left her shift, she talked briefly with Hugh and he promised to watch Wyatt. She prayed he would be able to.

Wyatt's words of love filled her head, making her feel guiltier. When he'd first said them, she wanted to cry with happiness, but when he admitted to not remembering, she wanted to cry with frustration. She didn't want John Doe to love her. She wanted Wyatt Ryker.

And then, there was Hugh.

She'd tried fighting his advances, but once he pulled her into his arms, she melted like butter on a scorching day in the middle of the desert. Shoot, all Hugh had to do was touch her, and she was falling all over herself as her mind swam in circles.

Lord knows she wanted to tell him to go away – that Wyatt was the one she wanted to love – but she was drawn to him like sinners to a church on judgment day. Although she didn't feel like a sinner, she still carried the guilt on her shoulders. Why couldn't she stop herself from falling into his arms and responding to his kisses?

Oh, heavens! Maybe she was a sinner. After all, she was leading two men to believe she had deep feelings for them, knowing that only one would win. At this moment, she wouldn't have been able to pick which man made her happier, but the constant fluttering in her chest whenever Hugh was around had been an emotion she couldn't remember having with Wyatt.

Perhaps the question she should ask herself was – who was the man who would make her the better person?

Sighing, she rubbed her forehead. No, that was definitely not what she should ask herself. It made her that much more confused.

She whipped her hooded cape around her shoulders before gathering her healing herbs and creams. Just as before, she crept out of the boarding house and prayed nobody would notice her. Minutes before midnight, she entered the hospital the same way she'd done when she came to see Wyatt. However, voices echoed in the hallway. Inwardly, she groaned. What doctor or nurse could be working this late at night?

She tiptoed to the door and slowly opened it enough to hear the voices. They were still up the hallway, which means she couldn't go anywhere until they left. Since she was working her way to the deserter's ward, she would pass them in the hall.

Jessica closed her eyes and leaned her head against the wall as she waited for the people in the hall to leave. Stress of the week had taken its toll on her, especially since she stayed up late and woke up early to start her shift. Her day off was in two days. She'd make sure to sleep all day then. That would catch her up.

Suddenly, she heard Doctor Jackson's name being called. Gasping, she snapped upright as her heartbeat hammered in panic. What was he doing here so late? She leaned closer to the door to hear the conversation better.

"I will move the prisoner tonight," Hugh was saying. "He needs to be kept in a secure room. We have one upstairs that will work perfectly."

Prisoner? Had the sheriff brought them an injured man after she'd left the hospital today?

"The quicker the better. I don't want Nurse Simone asking questions... and you know she will."

She gasped again, but this time she slapped a hand over her mouth because she hadn't tried to be quiet. That voice! That was the same man who had talked to Nurse Tweed earlier today. And now... Hugh is with him? Why would they talk about her?

"Indeed," Hugh said. "Nurse Simone does ask questions, and we don't need her knowing what happened to John Doe."

Her heart plummeted, and the sudden drop nearly had her falling to the floor. What was Hugh saying? Hadn't he been helping her all this time, and now... he was working with Nurse Tweed and the unknown man?

Tears burned her eyes as anger rose inside her. She'd been a fool to enjoy his kisses and his touches. She'd been blind to his charm, for in reality, he'd been deceiving her all this time.

As much as she wanted to break down and cry, she had a man to save. The prisoner they were talking about was Wyatt, and she wouldn't allow Hugh to take him. Besides, she'd been the one healing him – not the doctor!

She opened the door slowly and peeked outside. Hugh's tall frame was easy to recognize down at the end of the hall, but he was blocking her view of the other man. But thankfully, they had their backs to her. If she was careful and quiet, she would be able to sneak up the hall and enter one of the other wards. It was pertinent that she cause some type of distraction away from the deserter's ward.

Taking cautious steps, she moved out of the room and up the hall, away from Hugh and the other man. She entered the nearest ward and closed the door. Thankfully, this room also had a back door that lead to another part of the hospital – which would take her to Wyatt.

Two men were patients in this room, but by their loud snores, she knew they wouldn't be able to hear her. She quickly scanned the meager room, looking for something that would cause commotion. Near one of the beds, she saw an empty bedpan. She picked it up and aimed it at the wall, knowing Hugh would be able to hear.

Using all her strength, she threw the bedpan. It hit the wall with a loud thud before falling to the floor in a loud clank. Quickly, before the patients could see her, she hurried out the back door and closed it. She heard voices of alarm, but she continued hurrying toward the deserter's ward.

She slowly opened the door and peeked inside. Sighing with relief that no doctors or nurses were inside this room, she lifted the hood of her cape to cover her head so that the other patients wouldn't recognize her. As she hurried to Wyatt's bed, she saw that he was already sitting up and looking around with wide eyes.

"Wyatt," she said in a deeper voice, trying to disguise her voice. She grasped his hands. "We have to leave. Now!"

"What's going on? I heard a commotion..."

"Yes, I know. But I need to get you out of here. Something has come up. Trust me."

He peered into her face and nodded. He grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around him. She didn't have time to find some shoes for him, but if he was still the boy she remembered from yesteryear, he'd be able to run through the forest barefoot without flinching.

She stepped to the door and opened it, peeking outside. It was clear. She didn't want to sigh too heavily yet, because until they were out of the hospital and a great distance away, Wyatt was still in danger. Then again, she might be, as well.

Wyatt's hand held onto hers as she led the way. Just before reaching the room that would lead them out of the building, she heard Hugh's voice again, followed by fast footsteps.

Grumbling under her breath, she pushed Wyatt into the supply room and closed the door. This room held no window, which made standing in the room pitch black.

"What's going on?" Wyatt asked.

"I'm breaking you out of here," she whispered. "For some reason, people are trying to hurt you."

"Why?" He kept his voice quiet.

"I don't know." Her chest clenched with the pain of betrayal as tears stung her eyes again. Why had Hugh done this to her? Had he purposely tried to charm her just to get her away from Wyatt? After all, he didn't start showing interest in her until she had admitted to knowing John Doe's identity.

Heavens, why had she allowed her heart to soften around the very handsome doctor, especially when all she'd wanted was to help Wyatt remember his life... to remember her and what they had shared? The doctor had been a distraction, but now she knew her heart would always belong to Wyatt.

The footsteps and voices grew louder. She stood stiff, praying that they wouldn't think to check the supply closet. But when they noises passed and moved down the hallway, she felt they were safe. She opened the door and peeked outside again.

"Let's go." She grasped Wyatt's hand again and pulled him out.

This time, they had no problems following the path she always took when coming in after hours. Once they made it out of the hospital, they ran as fast as they could. She would take him to the boarding house and to her room. That was the only place she knew would be safe.

For now, anyway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

683 66 17
when two teenagers from a wealthy family fall in love it's expected that they would end up together for a lifetime, but what happens when the guy in...
4.6K 219 12
(Thanks @Falloutsilver for the title idea) Jade Harley just discovered that her lover, Dave Strider has awoken from his coma, but lost all of his mem...
5.9K 297 25
"A lifetime is enough to love one person but the same lifetime is not enough to forget the same person." *** Jessica Morgans, a simple girl with simp...
2.1K 124 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...