You are Mine

De MarieHiggins

Jessica Simone has earned her nursing degree, and when she's sent to a hospital in Nebraska, she feels the Lo... Mais

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Epilogue

Six

796 104 16
De MarieHiggins

Wyatt stared at Doctor Jackson as the man studied his burns. Confusion was the expression the doctor wore – almost as if he was astonished. Wyatt's angel, Jessica, had been coming every night for four days to clean his burns and add more ointments and creams. He prayed the doctor could see a difference.

"How am I, doc?" Wyatt's voice cracked, mainly because he was thirsty.

Doctor Jackson sat back in the chair next to the bed, folding is arms. "You're actually healing quite nicely."

"Finally," Wyatt said with a sigh. "There for a while, I didn't think I would heal at all."

"I thought the same thing, but looking at your burns now makes me believe in miracles." He chuckled lightly. "Last week, I feared that you would be scarred for life, but now I'm beginning to think you might actually make it through this."

Happiness grew inside his chest. "Doctor, does that mean I can go without the bandages around my eyes? I desperately need something to look at, especially since I don't have much to think about."

Doctor Jackson scratched his neck, and during his hesitation, Wyatt, said a silent prayer that the doctor would allow him this one luxury. He'd taken things for granite, and having his sight back would be a dream-come-true.

"Let's leave the bandages off your face for a day, and we'll see what happens."

Tears collected in Wyatt's eyes. "Thank you, doc. You'll never know how much gratitude I have for you right now."

The doctor chuckled. "Well, I can imagine." He leaned forward, resting his hands on his legs. "Let me ask you, how are things working out with our new nurse?"

"Jessica?" Perhaps he shouldn't have let his voice lift in excitement just now, but he couldn't help it. He cleared his throat and continued in a calmer voice. "She has been so nice and patient. I can't imagine anyone forgetting about her if they grew up together, but I still can't remember anything. I'm hoping, however, that now with the encouraging diagnosis about my burns, than I will relax enough for my mind to open." He paused briefly. "So, please keep her coming to tell me stories. Eventually, I'll remember. I just know it."

Doctor Jackson's gaze narrowed. "None of us have worked with patients like you, but I will continue to let Nurse Simone try to jog your memory."

"Thank you, doctor."

Nurse Tweed hustled by Wyatt's bed, throwing him a glare. Inwardly, he groaned. That woman didn't have a decent bedside manner at all.

"Well, let me know if you need anything else." Doctor Jackson stood. "I'll come check on your burns before bedtime, just in case we have to bandage your face again."

"Before you go," Wyatt quickly said once Nurse Tweed had moved out of the room, "I need to talk to you about one more thing."

Nodding, Doctor Jackson sat back in his chair.

"I would really like it if you could keep Nurse Tweed away from me."

Doctor Jackson's eyes widened. "Keep her away?"

Wyatt shrugged. "You can ask any of these men in here, but she's not very nice. Not only is her manner snippy, but she acts as if she doesn't have time to help us. And... don't make me explain to you what happens during sponge baths." He shook his head.

The doctor's lips thinned and his expression hardened. "I'll talk to her. Thank you for bringing that to my attention." He glanced at the pitcher and glass on the bed stand. "Do you need more water?"

"Indeed, I do. She only brings me water once a day."

The doctor's nostrils flared as he stood up quickly. "I'll have Nurse Simone take care of you now."

When the doctor left the room, Wyatt sighed in relief. Perhaps now he could be treated like a patient in a hospital instead of prisoner in a jail.

* * * *

Jessica finished changing the sheets to one of the empty beds, and with her arms full of dirty sheets, she walked down the hallway toward the laundry room. Today's visit with Wyatt had been enjoyable. She'd told him a few more tales of the mischief they'd caused while growing up, which made him laugh out loud. It was nice to hear his laugh again after all these years. She'd missed him so much, and she cherished the time they spent together, even if it was as patient and nurse.

Thankfully, nobody had caught – or even suspected – her of sneaking in after hours and using healing creams for his burns. But lately, she'd been keeping the visits short and their conversations even shorter. Nobody could know what she'd been doing since that was considered unprofessional.

She stepped into the laundry room and set the sheets next to the other sheets and towels that needed to be washed. Their cleaning person would be coming to work soon to get these all ready by morning. Looking at the pile, reminded her that she had her own laundry to do when she went home after work. Her shift would be over in an hour, but because she had errands to run and things to do, her evening was filled with busy work. She'd definitely be tired by the time she came back to the hospital with her herbal creams to administer to Wyatt.

Sighing, she stretched her neck, from one side to the another, relieving some of the tension in her muscles. She'd rather be caring for patients instead of changing the sheets on their beds. But, it came with the job.

As she turned to leave, Hugh walked into the room, closed the door behind him, and locked it. Her heart jumped to her throat. They couldn't be alone together... not like this. She had been purposely ignoring him for these past few days, only because she didn't know what to say to him. She'd wanted to apologize for kissing him – even though he had made the first move – but still, she'd responded. Yet, she wasn't sorry for kissing him. The only thing that she was sorry for was enjoying kissing a man who wasn't the one she loved.

"Hugh... um, Doctor Jackson." Her voice was raspy, and she blamed it on the fact that her throat suddenly turned dry. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed a moment with you." He stepped toward her. "And since you've been avoiding me these past few days, I thought to take any chance I could get to talk with you."

She licked her dry lips and shifted nervously back and forth on her feet. "Well, I do have a patient—"

"They can wait a few minutes, I'm sure." He stopped in front of her. "Jessica, avoiding me only makes me want to see you more."

She chuckled uncomfortably, wishing there was a better way to approach this subject. "I've needed time to think about... what happened."

"Well, you've had four days now. What have you decided?" He took her trembling hands in his and gently stroked the pads of this thumbs over her skin.

His touch was causing havoc inside her. How could she come to any decision when her heartbeat was in flipping competition with the butterflies in her belly? "I... haven't." She couldn't meet his stare, so looked at his chest – his very wide and muscular chest. Her palm still burned from when she had touched his chest the other day.

"Tell me one thing, Jessica." His voice was smooth as silk. "Did you enjoy yourself during our kiss?"

Inwardly, she groaned. Of all the questions she should not ask, that was one of the top three.

"Hugh, I—"

"Jessica," he interrupted, taking his hand and cupping the side of her face as he lifted it until she met his stare. "I want to know what you were thinking and how you were feeling during that time."

Oh, why did he want her to look into his dreamy eyes? Her confusion was worse now. "I... liked it, but I didn't want to like it."

He smiled, turning his eyes a softer brown. "You've been on my mind constantly since that kiss."

"But, Hugh—"

"No. Don't try and argue with what your heart is telling you."

She shook her head. She wanted to tell him the truth about Wyatt, but she still didn't dare. "My heart is telling me that I shouldn't get involved with a doctor. Nurse Tweed was correct when she warned me about having dalliances with the doctors."

He caressed her cheek. "And I know I shouldn't have let things get this far with you, but I'm not sorry it happened. You came into my life and made things brighter for me."

"No, Hugh. You shouldn't say such things."

"The kiss awakened feelings inside me that I didn't know I had."

A sigh escaped her throat, even if she didn't want it to. Why was he talking this way? She wasn't used to men saying these words to her. Although she and Wyatt had shared so many memories, he wasn't the romantic type. He just came right out and said he loved her and he always would. Of course, that was right before he joined the war. But she knew by the look in his eyes and the way he had held her, that he loved her.

And now... how was she supposed to respond to a man with such flowery words?

"Hugh, I don't think—"

Voices came from the other side of the door just as the doorknob jiggled. Her heart dropped. She couldn't be caught with Hugh in a locked room.

His expression turned to one of panic, and he glanced around the room. He pointed toward a closet. "We'll hide in there."

"But..."

"Trust me," he said, taking her hand and pulling her into the small room with many shelves of linens and towels.

Just as he was closing the door, the laundry room door opened. Jessica pressed her back against the shelves until she could go any further. Hugh's body leaned against hers since there wasn't much room in here. She rested her hands on his chest, only because she didn't know what else to do with them. Her stomach twisted, and she had a very bad feeling about this. Someone was going to catch them, and she would get fired.

She lifted her gaze and met Hugh's wide eyes. The warmth from his body touching hers created such havoc, and her heartbeat raced faster. Indeed, this wasn't going to turn out well at all.

Once the voices inside the laundry room became clear, Laura Tweed's distinctive tone boomed through the air. Jessica wouldn't doubt that the walls were shaking. From what she could hear, the head nurse was complaining about Jessica.

"I don't like her at all," Nurse Tweed said angrily. "She waltzes around here as if she was the belle of the ball. Most of the patients have doe-eyes for her, and half of the doctors sniff after her like dogs in heat. That so-called nurse doesn't know how to do her job at all. In fact, I'm half tempted to have her investigated. I don't believe she's qualified."

Jessica narrowed her gaze on Hugh, frowning. "What is she talking about? I am certified. I have the paper to prove it!"

"Shhh..." Hugh placed his fingers on her lips, stopping her. "Tweed doesn't know what she's talking about," he whispered.

"Listen, Laura," the unknown man said in a raspy voice, "we'll look into it. However, there are worse things going on right now that needs our attention more."

"Well," Laura huffed, "as long as the end result is getting Nurse Simone out of this hospital, that's all I care about. Did you know, the other day she..."

As Jessica continued to listen to the other nurse's rant, her heart twisted. She hadn't done anything to Nurse Tweed – or anyone else in the hospital – that deserved such ridicule. Why did the woman make Jessica sound like she was the worst person on earth? She had always gone beyond her job duties to help those who needed care.

Tears filled her eyes, even if she didn't want them to. Why was this happening to her on the very first job of her nursing career? Why were people so... mean?

"Jessica," Hugh whispered as he pressed his forehead against hers. "She's a bitter woman. You can't let her words break you."

"But... I'm not like that."

"I know, and the rest of the staff knows, too."

"Who is she talking to?"

"I'm not sure. The voice is familiar, but I can't picture a face with it."

"She... wants me to leave," Jessica's voice broke. "I love my job, I can't—"

"Shhh..." His fingers moved back to her lips, but this time they gently outlined her mouth. "I won't let her get rid of you."

She had so many mixed feelings growing inside her at this moment, she didn't know which one to act upon. As she stared at Hugh's gaze that was glued to her mouth, the scratchy voice of Nurse Tweed began to fade. Hugh appeared to be fascinated by Jessica's mouth, and in return, her throat dried as excitement pounded through her.

Forcing herself to swallow – even if it was difficult – she tried to calm her fast breaths. She licked her lips, which were suddenly just as parched as her mouth. Oh, why did he have to make her insides flutter so wildly? She didn't want this complication in her life. She didn't want to think of any other man besides Wyatt. And yet, she found herself thinking of Hugh more.

"Hugh," she sighed, not knowing why. But saying his name calmed her.

She wasn't surprised when he lowered his mouth to hers. In fact, she had anticipated his soft lips moving with hers. As his arms circled around her, she slid her palms up his chest, and around his neck. He was tall, but it was his muscular build that amazed her even more. The man's hair was even softer than she thought it would be. Slowly, he was becoming nearly perfect in her eyes. Yet, she couldn't let him. It was Wyatt she loved. It was Wyatt she'd waited for after he'd left to join the war. She couldn't come this far to find her beloved, only to have another man turn her head and take her heart.

However, as much as her mind told her to break the incredible kiss, her body was refusing to listen to reason. Instead, she found his kiss very addicting, and she couldn't stop. The unexplained feelings of excitement rushing through her were refreshing, as was the way her heart fluttered.

When he tilted his head to deepen the kiss, she welcomed the different tingles of delight running rapidly over her skin and making her shiver. His arms tightened around her, and she enjoyed the comfort his strong arms gave to her during this time.

The thud of someone hitting the wall, jerked Jessica out of her dreamlike state. Hugh even jumped back. His breathing was ragged, but his wide eyes told her that he was worried about being caught, too.

"Woman, would you stop jabbering like a magpie!" The unknown man's voice was harsh. But it worked because Laura Tweed's consistent whining stopped. "We need to figure out a backup plan, just in case this doesn't work."

The man was very near to the closet. Jessica suspected he was the one who had hit the wall. Her heartbeat still raced with excitement, but also with fear. She laid her head on Hugh's chest as she tried to calm herself.

"We don't need a backup plan," Laura hissed. "John Doe will not remember. I'll make sure of that."

Jessica hitched a breath, and Hugh's arms tightened around her. Her mind swam with confusion. What had she missed during the steamy kiss where she'd blocked out the intruders' conversation?

"But, Nurse Tweed, we you not just telling me that Nurse Simone has close contact with the patient and she's trying to help him remember?"

Silence grew in the room for a few seconds before the older nurse started chuckling. Eeriness crawled over Jessica as though was standing on an anthill in the heat of the day.

"Leave it me," Laura snickered. "I'll take care of everything." Her footsteps moved toward the other side of the room. "Now, don't do a thing until after I talk to you. I'm certain things will be better then."

Jessica listened intently as the footsteps left the room and the door was shut. But still, neither she or Hugh moved, just in case. After a few moments, she looked up into his worried eyes.

"I'm frightened, Hugh. That woman is evil."

He sighed and cupped the side of her face. "I won't let her hurt you. I'm going to find out what she's up to and put a stop to it. I cannot abide with staff who thinks they are the high-and-mighty rulers here."

"Hugh," she touched his chest again with both hands, "I'm also worried about Wyatt. Why doesn't she want him to remember?"

"The question is," he said in a quiet voice, "what doesn't she want him to remember?"

"Will you help me?" She kept her plea soft.

The tips of his fingers swept over her hairline before moving down to her mouth. The pad of his thumb caressed just under her bottom lip. "I'll do anything for you... as long as—" He brushed his lips against hers. "As long as you promise to kiss me that way again."

She tried not to let the thrill of acceptance become too strong inside her. After all, she needed to remember that she was still very confused about her feelings for him. There was no way she could make that kind of promise.

As she searched through Hugh's eyes, her heartbeat continued to flip crazily and she couldn't form the words to tell him no. "If you help me protect Wyatt, I'll give you the best kind of thank-you that I know how to give."

He grinned. "My darling, Jessica, that had better include a kiss, or you will be dealing with the most depressed man alive. In fact, I might just be your next patient – dying from heartbreak."

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

226K 4.4K 19
| THIS BOOK WAS WRITTEN IN 2016 | Jessica Sanders finds herself in a whirl wind of a relationship as she finds herself falling in love with her Medic...
41 8 4
Mae's world turns upside down when her long-time crush, Jeremiah, unexpectedly becomes her teacher's assistant, reigniting her feelings. Though she t...
115 21 11
{original} Have you ever been so close to the face of death? Well strap in. This is a cheesy Rom com of a young lady working in a prestigious hospit...
1.1M 29K 30
An ordinary girl falls for an extraordinary soldier.