Modification || T. Riddle ||...

By EmilyTheHorcrux

Winner of the 2016 Fanfiction Awards! Things will be different for Estela this year at Hogwarts. Having seen... More

Foreword
Introduction
Chapter 1: Returning to Hogwarts
Chapter 2: The Task
Chapter 3: Tom Riddle
Chapter 4: Midnight Astronomy
Chapter 5: The Girl's Bathroom
Chapter 6: Nightmare
Chapter 7: The Dress
Chapter 8: The Bloodline
Chapter 9: The Halloween Ball
Chapter 10: The Room of Requirement
Chapter 11: The Murder of The Mudblood
Chapter 12: Aragog
Chapter 13: Trust
Chapter 14: Horcrux
Chapter 15: The Heir of Slytherin
Chapter 16: Betrayal
Chapter 17: The Start of Something Spectacular
Chapter 18: Isolation
Chapter 19: Embers
Chapter 21: The Allure of Darkness
Chapter 22: Heirlooms
Chapter 23: Dark Lord and Lady
Chapter 24: Honestly Lying
Chapter 25: The Duel
Chapter 26: Revelations
Chapter 27: Rooms and Relics
Chapter 28: Control Your Emotions
Chapter 29: A Ghostly Past
Chapter 30: Initiation
Chapter 31: Progress and Power
Chapter 32: Patience and Planning
Chapter 33: Home
Chapter 34: Guest Approval
Chapter 35: The Snake and the Eagle
Chapter 36: Distant Domains
Chapter 37: Triumph
Chapter 38: Awareness
Chapter 39: Divulging Desires
Chapter 40: Confronting the Cold
Chapter 41: Future Memories
Chapter 42: An Onslaught of Opals
Chapter 43: A Deceitful Discovery
Chapter 44: A Time for Truth
Chapter 45: The Final Encounter
Chapter 46: Break Me
Chapter 47: The Ensuing Encounter
Chapter 48: The Beginning
The Dawn of Darkness

Chapter 20: Little Hangleton

103K 3.9K 6.5K
By EmilyTheHorcrux

Chapter 20: Little Hangleton

The blinding light of the sun that was shining through the window opposite the bed brought Estela to her senses. She squinted as her eyes adjusted to the brightness as she looked around the dormitory. It was empty. That's when her eyes fell on the clock in the corner of the large room and she realised she'd overslept.

She jumped out of bed, put on some clothes, quickly brushed her hair before she packed all of her clothes, a few books she felt might come in handy, money, her notebook, and a little black box. She stared at the little black box for a moment, hesitating before opening it. Inside, the box was lined with black velvet cushioning, where five miniature glass vials sat: an Anti-Paralysis Potion, an Antidote to Common Poisons, an Antidote to Veritaserum, Blood-Replenishing Potion and an Invisibility potion. She placed them back into her suitcase and closed it up.

As she put on her cloak, she heard a scrunching noise from behind her. She turned to see a small bit of parchment on her pillow. She picked it up and inspected the front. Her name was written in crimson ink, with exquisite penmanship. However this was not Tom's writing. She opened the note and read,

Miss Markorp,

Before you depart, I request that you pay me a visit as soon as you can. I believe it to be of uttermost importance.

- Professor Dumbledore.

Folding up the letter, she headed out of the dormitory and looked down upon the Common Room. There, she saw many students in little groups, all holding their suitcases and wrapped up in multiple layers to brave the cold outside as they began making their way out of the Common Room and down the spiralling staircase.

Today was the day that students were going home for the Christmas holidays. Today was the day that Estela was leaving Hogwarts with Tom. Dragging her trunk across the Common Room, she paused at the thought - her mind weighing the outcomes of going with him or staying in the comfort and safety of Hogwarts.

She hated the idea of going. Each time she thought of travelling to an unknown location with a strange boy she experienced a strong sensation in her stomach that told her she shouldn't go. She couldn't help feel that something bad would happen. Something dangerous, perhaps. But she had promised him. She had promised very different things to both Tom and Dumbledore, and if she was to keep those promises, she had no choice but to go.

Estela opened her hand and re-read the note from Dumbledore again, trying to figure out what he wanted. The only thing she could think of was her reason for leaving Hogwarts. Dumbledore was a very wise man, and had surely seen the connection between both Tom and Estela leaving the school for the first time. With a deep breath, she held her suitcase and reluctantly headed for professor Dumbledore's office.

Professor Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, looking very merry indeed as he eyed a box of liquorice snaps on his desk before placing one in his mouth.

"Ah, Estela. Excuse my indulgence, I simply cannot resist a liquorice snap when they sit before me so temptingly," he said, offering one to Estela who politely shook her head in response.

"You wanted to see me about something, Professor?"

"Indeed," he said as he motioned for Estela to take a seat. "You have decided to leave Hogwarts for the holidays this year." His tone was innocent and curious, but his eyes were the opposite. They were interrogating her.

"Yes, sir." She said, her hand unintentionally tightening its grip on her trunk.

Dumbledore nodded slowly. "I see. Mr. Riddle has also decided to leave Hogwarts over the holidays this year, too." He paused, as though he knew Estela would react at those words, but she kept a straight face and the professor's lip twitched upwards. "I cannot imagine why he would want to return to the orphanage that he despises so much, can you?"

"No, sir." She said innocently.

"Where is it you are going over the holidays, Miss Markorp?" he asked, lacing his hands together and resting his head upon them as his stare intensified.

"I'm going home, sir, then I'm going with Grace and William to stay at their friend's house over Christmas."

"Grace and William being your adoptive parents, yes?"

"Yes, sir." She nodded. Dumbledore's expression seemed to change. His eyes were no longer interrogating, instead they were concerned.

"Wherever it is you are going, Miss Markorp," he said slowly, looking at her in a way that sent a small shiver down her body as though he could see right through her. "I want to make sure you know what you might be getting into. I want you to be safe." He paused, and Estela couldn't bear to look at him. She had lied to him and she felt ashamed and embarrassed. She would never get away with lying to Dumbledore, how could she be so foolish?

"If anything should happen," he began slowly, "I want you to know that I'm available if you're ever in need of assistance."

He beckoned Estela closer before he opened one of his desk drawers and took out a small golden cube. It lay in the palm of his hand, small and shiny, and it seemed nothing more than a worthless trinket.

Estela blinked. "What is it, sir?"

"This little device is something of my own making. If you're ever in need of help I want you to use it." He said seriously.

Estela could say nothing, so she merely nodded slowly at the professor. "To use it, simply hold it in your hand, close your eyes and think of yourself calling for help." Dumbledore handed over the small golden cube and Estela pocketed it.

Before Estela could ask any questions about the cube, Dumbledore looked out one of the tall windows where the sun was beginning to shine over the snowy grounds. "You had better be going. You wouldn't want to miss your train."

With a small nod, Estela got up to leave. "Estela," Dumbledore called after her. "Be wary of him." He said simply.

"I will, sir." She hesitated for a moment, wondering whether or not she should apologise to Dumbledore for lying to him, but he gave her a smile that told her there was no need, and he raised a hand that signalled for her to leave. 

***

Estela entered the Great Hall where all the other students who were leaving were gathered. Professor Slughorn stood by the door, seemingly struggling to count the students, but after a few minutes, apparently he had been successful.

"Students! We will now make our way down to the carriages which will take us to Hogsmeade. That is where we will leave you as you all board the train. Walk together and no dawdling!" he shouted out at them.

They all made their way outside where rows of black carriages awaited their passengers. Estela headed for one and sat down inside where she took off her gloves and began reaching for a book from within her suitcase.

The door to her carriage opened suddenly and all Estela saw was a quick, black blur of someone getting in swiftly and sitting opposite her. Tom. He shut the door quickly behind him and pulled down the curtains over the windows.

She put down her book and glanced at him coldly. "I needed that light."

He scowled as he adjusted the sleeves of his long black travelling coat; its collar upturned against the cold. "Listen carefully, because now is the only time I will be able to speak to you before we reach our destination." Estela ignored his commanding tone and listened. "On the train we will sit in different compartments, we cannot risk being seen together."

"But you just got into my carriage in front of all those students." Estela pointed out, raising an eyebrow.

"Nobody saw me." He said impatiently. "We get off in Birmingham. We will meet once the train has gone. From there, we will find a place to stay and the next morning is when we will begin our plans."

"Our plans?" asked Estela cynically. "I think you might want to change that to your plans, seeing as I have no clue what on earth is going on."

His gaze hardened and his blue eyes flickered. "Yes, our plans," He said in a low tone that told her she was testing his patience. "You have just as much to do with this as me, Markorp, don't forget that. I will explain further when the time is right." Estela gave him an unsatisfied look but did not argue. Instead, she opened her book and began to read as the carriage set off on its journey to Hogsmeade. 

As the carriage started to slow, Estela kept her book and put her gloves back on. "You go out first, then I'll follow." Said Tom and he ran a hand through his hair. "Remember, we get off in Birmingham." Estela simply nodded before she got out of the carriage and shut the door quickly behind her. She made her way to the platform amidst the sea of students as they all queued to get onto the train.

"This is where I leave you," bellowed Professor Slughorn, "Stay safe and have a happy Christmas!"

Once she was on the train, Estela struggled to find an empty compartment. She passed Riddle who was in a compartment with six of his 'friends'. Tom sat by the window as he read his little black book. Their eyes met briefly, before they both looked away as Estela made her way to the other end of the train where she finally found an empty compartment.

She locked the door behind her and pulled down the blinds. Birmingham she thought, what on earth could he want in Birmingham? Estela knew she would be on the train for hours before she reached Birmingham, and so decided to read, though as hard as she tried, she just couldn't seem to focus. She was restless and her mind was racing.

Out of the window she saw that it had started to snow, and already a thin blanket of snow began to cover the never ending hills that passed by. She thought back to that night Riddle confided in her and remembered his words:

"A diadem, Miss Markorp. Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem. The diadem will grant whoever wears it such great amounts of knowledge. Knowledge is something we seek, isn't it."

"But there are other items I will require, too, you see. And I need your help to acquire them all."

"Do you see that I have all the characteristics of a human being, but hardly a single identifiable emotion? I have no desire or need for human companionship, and am unable to comprehend the idea of any love or affection for another being. I think of everything in terms of power. I have been ordered to finish what Salazar Slytherin started, Miss Markorp."

"If there's one thing I fear, it's death. It's a shameful and ignominious human weakness." He said in disgust. "But I have found a way to... Avoid this."

She then remembered him showing her the page about Horcruxes and his plan to make not one, but many. That's what they were doing. That's where they were going. Tom was going to seek out items to make his Horcruxes.

It was all becoming clear to her now. That's why he needed her, he needed her to get Ravenclaw's diadem. Only she could get it because of her Ravenclaw blood. Perhaps he needed her for something of Slytherin's too? If all this was true, then this might also suggest that Tom was also planning to murder someone on their trip in order to create one of his horcruxes. If so, Estela was not about to let that happen. She needed to make him see clearly and get his mind out of the dark arts. But she could not understand how.

What was missing? Of course, love was missing, but Tom was unable to understand the concept. He could not love. She could try, though. After all, his exact words to her had been, "How is it that I can't feel anything from anyone but you?" But it was impossible for him to be feeling any kind of emotion connected to love at that point, so what was he feeling? What was so special about her out of all people?

Thoughts flew rapidly through her mind. Why they were going to Birmingham? Surely Birmingham had no connection to the diadem? What could possibly be in Birmingham that would help Riddle create his Horcruxes? Estela would find out soon enough.

She got out her notebook and wrote everything down. Every little detail of what she had just been thinking about. Exhausted and her mind thumping, she snuggled up under her cloak and closed her eyes.

Her eyes darted open as soon as she remembered that she needed to place a protective charm on her diary, and once she had, she drifted off to sleep.

When she woke up, she found it was dark outside, and was snowing heavily. She looked at the watch inside her suitcase, it was 8pm. She was sure she hadn't missed her stop, and was sure she still had another hour left on the train. Just to be sure, however, she decided to check Riddle's compartment.

As she left her own compartment the corridor was empty and most of the blinds were down on all the windows, most people must be asleep. She made her way up the train and came to a stop outside the compartment she thought was Riddle's. The blind was down but it had stuck a little on the right hand side, where Estela could look through a small gap. She checked first to see if anyone was coming before she peeked through the window.

She couldn't see much, but she saw him. He was awake, surrounded by his 'friends' who were all sleeping. She stared at Theodore Nott for a moment, whose mouth was wide open as he slept. She looked back at Tom, who was staring out through the window into the darkness. His face seemed focused and he appeared to be in deep thought as he rested his chin on his left hand and tapped the other absent-mindedly on his knee.

She only just realised she had been there a little too long, and was just glad Tom hadn't seen her. Satisfied she hadn't missed her stop, she made her way back to her compartment and sat down. With about another hour left until she reached her destination, she continued reading her book, 'Confronting the Faceless', as she resumed reading about resisting the Imperius curse.

Estela felt the train begin to slow down as she kept her book back in her suitcase. It was now completely dark outside, but underneath a layer of snow 'Birmingham' was visible on the sign at the station. Estela quickly put on her cloak and got her suitcase as she made her way off the train. She waited by an exit door for the train to stop when Eve Meadows called her name.

"Estela! You're getting off here too? I thought you lived in London?" asked Eve merrily.

Estela hesitated. "Um, yes, I'm visiting some friends who live here."

"Oh lovely," she smiled. "Whereabouts do they live?"

"Um, Moseley." Said Estela quickly, that being the only place she knew of in Birmingham.

"Oh, Moseley's a lovely area." Said Eve, smiling. As the train came to a stop and the doors opened, Estela got onto the platform as quickly as she could and tried to get away from Eve.

"Not so fast!" Eve laughed from behind her, quickening her pace to catch up with her. "Are you making the trip to Moseley by yourself?"

"Yes, I was just about to-"

"You can come by Floo Powder with me if you like?" Eve asked, looking at her with her doe-shaped brown eyes. "It's getting dark soon so it would probably safer and I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind."

"No, I'll be fine thanks, Eve." Said Estela, still trying to squint through the darkness.

"Are you sure? Because-" Eve stopped mid-sentence, looking over at something that appeared to have caught her eye. Estela followed her gaze and saw Tom standing at the other end of the platform.

Broomsticks. She thought.

"Ah," said Eve slowly, smirking up at Estela. "So that's why you're in Birmingham, is it? Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." She winked. "Merry Christmas!" She added with a wave as she headed off to meet her family.

Estela smiled to herself as she watched Eve walk off to meet her parents. She was such a sweet girl, and one of the only people Estela thought she could genuinely trust. The train sounded its horn behind them as the wheels gently began to pull it forwards to continued on its journey. Tugging her cloak more tightly around her in the cold, Estela walked over to Tom who was standing under a lamp post waiting for her.

"She saw me?" he asked simply.

"She did." Said Estela with a huff. "But she won't tell anyone."

Tom looked in the direction Eve had gone. "She better not."

"What would it matter if she told anyone, anyway? Half the school already thinks we slept together."

Tom arched a brow at her words and she was sure she saw the tiniest twitch of his lip, then without warning, he turned on his heel and began walking. Estela followed, having to quicken her pace to keep up with him.

She watched him from behind as he turned up his coat collar against the wind and watched as his black hair got swept about with every step. As they left the station and came onto a road covered with snow, Tom came to a stop.

"Have you ever apparated before?" he asked her.

"No of course not, we haven't passed the test yet." Estela replied.

"Well I won't be needing a license. Take my arm." Tom instructed, looking down at Estela who looked outraged.

"We'll be breaking the law! You cant-"

"I've done much worse than apparate, Markorp, now take my arm." He said, his voice more commanding than before. Estela reluctantly placed her hand under his arm and closed her eyes tightly. By her side she heard Tom scoff.

"Shut up and just do it." She said, and the next moment Estela felt Tom's arm twist away from her and redoubled her grip: the next thing she knew everything went black; she was pressed very hard from all directions; she could not breathe, there were iron bands tightening around her chest; her eyeballs were being forced back into her head; her ear-drums were being pushed deeper into her skull.

Suddenly Estela felt her feet on firm ground once more, and wobbled slightly as she came to grips with her location. She felt a sudden feeling of nausea and had to sit down atop her suitcase for a moment. In front of her, Tom seemed completely fine as he stood there with no sense of dizziness, sickness or discomfort whatsoever. He just stood there looking up at a wooden signpost, back as straight as an arrow. She looked up at its two arms. The one pointing to the left read: Great Hangleton 5 miles. The arm pointing ahead read: Little Hangleton, 1 mile.

"Where are we going?" asked Estela, as she stood up and went to stand beside Tom.

"Little Hangleton." He said quietly, his face seemed distant as he began walking down the white lane with nothing to see but hedgerows, the wide black sky overhead, then the lane curved to the left and fell away, sloping steeply down a hillside, so that they had a sudden, unexpected view of a whole valley laid out in front of them.

Estela could see a village, undoubtedly Little Hangleton, nestled between two steep hills, its church and graveyard clearly visible. Across the valley, set on the opposite hillside, was a handsome manor house surrounded by a wide expanse of velvety green lawn.

As they walked they passed another little lane that was almost covered by hedges. Estela saw Tom staring a bit too intensely down the lane, before he continued down the slope towards the village.

They came into the village which consisted of petite little buildings covered in snow, all cramped together on one road. Ahead, they heard the sound of a metal sign blowing in the wind as it whined with every gust. The sign read, "The Innkeeper's Lodge." They came to a stop outside it before Tom nodded his head towards the door.

They pushed open a heavy wooden door and made their way to the small reception where an old man with a large bald patch and grey hair around the sides sat. He appeared to be focussing hard on the puzzle he was doing in a newspaper until Tom cleared his throat. The man jumped slightly at the sound, and had an even bigger fright when he looked up at Tom. The old man stared at him for a moment, examining his face through his thick spectacles with a gaping mouth. Estela looked at Tom to see his expression growing disgusted as the old man leaned in to get a closer look over the counter.

"Excuse me, sir, we'd like a place to stay." Estela said hesitantly, trying to get the old man's attention which was so keenly placed upon Tom. The man came back to his senses as he looked at Estela, but she caught him giving Tom a quick glance every now and then.

"This close to Christmas? I'll tell ya, you'll be lucky to get a room at this time o' year, love." He said in a small and frail voice.

"So you mean to say you don't have a room for us?" she asked, noticing him eyeing Tom cautiously before answering.

"No, 'fraid not, love. You'll 'ave to try one of the Inns in Great Hangleton."

"Please, sir, just one room. You see, I'm very ill." Estela lied, as she tried to remember how she felt whilst apparating, as she suddenly became dizzy and nauseated. She saw Tom raise an eyebrow at her before she felt him grab her shoulders to steady her.

"She's very sick. We need somewhere to stay. Don't you have a single room to spare?" Tom joined in on the act. The old man sighed heavily as he looked from Tom to Estela before he flipped through the pages of a large guest book and handed it to Tom.

"We may have one available... Sign there, please." He said, gesturing where to sign. Tom took the book and signed Estela's name before handing it back to the old man who seemed disappointed when he saw Estela's name instead of Tom's. Estela wondered why but had no idea. He began rummaging through one of his drawers and pulled out a key and gave it to Tom.

"Room number 7, upstairs and straight to yer right." Tom nodded and put his arm around Estela to steady her as they went, who was walking like a new-born deer. Once they were upstairs Tom dropped his arm and Estela stood up straight. She gave him a sly grin, but Tom's glare was cold, and without a word he headed towards room number 7.

They entered into a small living area with a fireplace, a sofa and an armchair, and a small Christmas tree in the corner of the room. There were three doors which led onto one master bedroom with a double bed, one single bedroom and the third door led to a bathroom. It was very small, but Estela felt that once they got the fire started and made a few improvements, it would have a much better atmosphere.

"Incendio," she said and large flames were ignited in the fireplace. With another wave of her wand she turned them blue, just for a touch of decoration, she thought.

Tom was in the master bedroom unpacking his things, having apparently taken that one for himself and leaving Estela with the single. She rolled her eyes. Estela took her own suitcase to the single bedroom.

She peered out of the single room and out into the living area where she could just about catch glimpses of Tom moving about in the master bedroom.

"You're such a gentleman, you know?" she said from the doorway. When he didn't respond, she sighed, looking around the tiny room and bed that looked as though it might snap if she sat on it with too much force. "Charming," she said under her breath.

She was half tempted to march into Tom's room, pick up all his clothes and belongings and throw them into the hallway of the Inn. Then, she would take the opportunity whilst he was picking them all up to perform a switching spell that would place all her things in his master bedroom. By the time Tom would return, she would be lying on the lovely double bed with a grin as he gaped at her.

She laughed to herself, thinking what his reaction might be if she actually did do that.

It was a very small room with creaky floorboards with nothing but a small bed, a dressing table, a wardrobe and a mirror. The room was freezing and she began to shiver as she pulled her cloak more tightly around her body. She opened her suitcase and with a wave of her wand her possessions glided gently around the room and landed in their desired places. From the dressing table she grabbed her book and took it with her into the living room where she sat on the sofa in front of the blue flames.

She heard a door close behind her and Tom came and sat in the armchair by the fire. He was dressed in a grey long-sleeved top and dark green checked bottoms. Estela had to look at him twice as she'd never seen him so informally dressed. He stared into the flames without a word, looking distressed.

She looked up at him from behind her book, using its pages to hide her inevitable grin. "Oh my-"

He turned to look at her, looking behind him as though he was completely oblivious that she was laughing at him. "What?" he asked.

"Nothing," she said, stifling her laugh. "Just something in my book."

Tom rolled his eyes and went to sit in one of the chairs before the fireplace. Estela looked at him over the top of her book. There was something strange about seeing someone who would one day supposedly become a monstrous villain wearing checkered pyjamas. Estela had to hold back another laugh. But she couldn't help but think that Tom looked wrongly innocent as he sat there in the least intimidating attire she thought she'd ever see him wear.

"What's wrong with you?" Estela asked simply, noticing his puzzled expression. Tom continued to stare into the flames with his hands laced together as he rested his chin upon them. There was a long silence before he spoke.

"That old man," he began, "did you notice his reaction when he saw me?"

"I did," said Estela slowly, remembering the way the man had made a double-take once he discerned Tom's features. "Why did he react like that?"

Tom turned to look at her, leaning forwards in his chair, staring into the flames evidently deep in thought.

"He recognised me," he said, eventually tilting his head sideways as he watched her closely.

"Recognised you? Have you been here before?"

"No. Did you notice how he was eager to see my name in the guestbook, too."

"Does he know you then?" asked Estela, confused.

"No. He thought I was someone else." He paused, eyeing Estela intently with his piercing blue eyes.

"Who?" asked Estela with a furrowed brow. He continued gazing at her, squinting slightly before his eyes found her book.

"Confronting the Faceless." He said, picking it up and ignoring her questions completely. "Reading about inferni or how to repel dementors?" he said as he examined the cover.

"No." said Estela slowly, watching him closely. "Resisting the Imperius curse." Tom met her gaze and nodded leisurely before handing her back the book. "How did the man recognise you?"

"Be up early tomorrow. We'll be going out." He said in a low tone, ignoring her question once more, before going to the bedroom and shutting the door.

Estela watched after him and sighed. She then got up and made her way to the single bedroom. Again the cold hit her harshly as she entered and quickly grabbed a jar off of the dressing table, took out the candle and cast the bluebell flames charm into it, which sent a jet of blue flames into the jar. Estela held her hands above it and let the warmth of the flame take hold of her. She changed into her midnight blue dressing down and some fluffy blue socks before getting into the bed. The mattress was hard and ice cold as she sat on it.

"Accio jar!" she said through chattering teeth as the jar with the bluebell flames came rushing towards her. Before sleeping she sat pondering about the old man recognising Tom. If he hadn't been here before, how would the muggle man recognise him? Could he have a connection with the orphanage, perhaps? 'He thought I was someone else' Tom had said. But who?

Author's notes: Hello again! I hope you all had a lovely Christmas! I'm excited to write these next few chapters and I hope you all enjoy reading them. As always, thank you for your kind reviews and keep on reviewing. I love hearing what you think of the story. The next chapter should be up soon, so until next time, nox.

-EmilyTheHorcrux

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.2K 1.3K 20
Your family bloodline is very famous. Your mother and father are Order of Merlin first-class. You have been sorted into Slytherin and excel in studi...
316K 8.1K 89
~Tom Riddle X Reader Story~ (Y/N) wasn't too excited to start her last year of Hogwarts, she has a hard time getting along with anyone there, especia...