Lock and Key

By hayliestapher

"Finn, I really like you. Every time you look at me or touch me, my heart breaks because I know that you can... More

Story Info :)
Shopping and Confusion
Pranks and Theater
Paper Balls and Detention
Gum and Bruises
Car doors and Tears
A Fight and a Window
Locks and Promises
Drama and Evidence
Coffee and A Phone call
Hot chocolate and The Truth
Corey and Sam
Glass and Bandages
Horror Movies and Plans
Basements and Darkness
Distractions and a Recsue
Visions and Group Hugs
A panic attack and the F word
Arguments and Break ups
A Parking Lot and an Ambulance
Hospitals and Confessions

Accidents and Envelopes

267 50 60
By hayliestapher

Cover credits go to Tiva_CaptainSwan

Lilah

I slowly opened my eyes to see that I was sitting with my head lying on the hard wood of my desk. I yawned and stretched, my neck sore from my previous position.

My computer was open and my essay was left unfinished.

I looked at the time and saw that it was 5:01pm. My essay was due an hour ago. Of course, I had to fall asleep. My father's gonna kill me.

As if I had summoned him, I heard his footsteps coming from the hallway leading to my bedroom.

He knocked on my door and I groaned, getting up from my desk. When I opened it, I was face to face with my stern father.

He had hair as black as the night sky, and he had green eyes that should've lit up his face, but didn't. We look nothing alike, but supposedly, I got my blonde hair and blue eyes from my mother.

He walked right into my room and up to my open laptop. He frowned as he discovered that I had only written a single paragraph that was supposed to be a seven paragraph essay.

"What did I say about getting your school work done on time?" He practically growled.

"I'm sorry. I fell asleep." My eyes fell to the worn out grey carpet.

If this were a cartoon, steam would definitely be coming out of his ears right now. Sometimes, I wish that it was. Then, maybe my life would be at least a little bit more interesting.

"You need to get your sleep schedule together!" He shouted, interrupting my foolish thoughts.

"You think I don't try? I can't do this on my own! I need someone to teach me. Learning online is difficult, and it takes me longer than expected." I defended myself.

This isn't working." He sighed, about to leave the room when I stopped him.

"What do you mean? What isn't working?"

"Nevermind. Please, just make us dinner. I've still got piles of work to do." He gave me one last stern look, and went back downstairs.

I let out a frustrated sigh and rolled my eyes. I walked over to my desk and shut my laptop with more force than necessary.

Couldn't he make dinner? Obviously, I had an essay that needed to be finished, and what isn't working?

Too lazy to make anything special, once I was downstairs, I went straight to the pantry and grabbed two boxes of Mac and cheese.

That's my go to meal when I don't feel like cooking. So, I guess we have it quite a lot.
Father doesn't complain.

Before I cooked them, I ran back upstairs to grab my earbuds. This house was way too quiet with just me and my father.

My mother passed away from Cancer when I was around eight. At least that's what I was told.

I had gotten in a huge car accident seven years ago, that caused a concussion. I had completely lost my memory from that concussion.

I don't remember my mother. I also don't remember any of my childhood. My dad says it was a good one before my mom died.

I also had a sister. Her name was Abigail. She was in the car with me during the accident. Unfortunately, her injuries were even worse than mine. She didn't make it.

I have only seen a photo of my older sister a long time ago. Other than that, my dad doesn't like to have the photos out.

My sister had black hair just like my father, the difference between them was that her eyes were blue; most likely the color of our mother's.

I haven't even seen a picture of my mother. If you ask me, that's crazy. Father says it hurt too much to have the photos around so he destroyed everything he could.

I don't know what my dad was like before the accident or my mother's death, but you could probably tell, that he can be very cold hearted at times.

I'm sure he hasn't always been this way. Death impacts people in different ways. I guess to my dad, it makes him cruel to the world.

There have been happy moments though. Like the times that we'd have movie nights, or stay up way too late talking.

Things have changed since he had gotten a new job. He never has time for me anymore. He also makes me do all the work around the house.

I hummed along to my music as I stirred the pot of noodles.

Music is everything to me. It's kinda like a distraction from reality. When I'm listening to music, I just sorta zone out.

I play the guitar and sing in my free time. I have no idea what state of mind I would be in if I didn't have music.

I write all my own music. Most of it reflects off of how I wish my life could be, rather than how it really is.

I finished up dinner and served it to my dad. He ate quickly and went back into his office.

We don't talk much anymore. Most dinners are silent with some small talk here and there. As soon as he finishes eating, he goes right back to his office.

He works from home, using his computer. Although, he might as well be gone everyday, considering I rarely see him.

After dinner, I finished my essay. I hit the turn in button and let out a sigh of relief, knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

I've been homeschooled my whole life. I don't mind it, really. It just gets a little lonely at times.

I haven't asked why I'm homeschooled. I'm sure he has his reasons, and I honestly, don't care to know.

I've never really been interested in going to a public school, anyway. The only reason I would, is to get my grades up. I'm not a social butterfly, and I like being alone. I'm also very awkward.

The only friend I've ever had is my internet best friend, Kayla. I've never met her in person, although she only lives a couple miles away.

My dad doesn't let me out of the house often. Only for groceries and other things that need to be picked up.

He's also never been very fond of me having friends. Which I've never really understood. He always says that it's better for my safety. People hurt other people, and that's just the way it goes. I've never argued with him about it.

I grabbed my phone and called Kayla, who my father does not know about. I call her every night before bed and she tells me all about her day at school.

She picked up right away, and her cheery voice filled my ear.

"It's about time you called. I've been texting you all day!"

Well, hello to you too, Kayla.

"Sorry, I had a lot of school work today. I didn't even turn it in on time. My dad is pretty mad." I explained.

"I'm surprised he didn't take your phone away." She laughed.

Whenever I do something wrong, I normally get my phone taken away; something I've gotten used to. The only thing I miss about it is being able to call Kayla.

"Me too. I guess he was in a better mood today." I shrugged, even though I knew that she wasn't able to see me.

"Is he ever in a good mood?" She half joked.

"Sometimes. It's a rare sight though. Mainly when he gets promotions." I sighed, sadly.

She hummed in response, and thankfully changed the subject.

"You won't believe what happened today! There was a fight between Logan and some other junior!" She exclaimed. I could hear the excitement in her voice.

Logan is her boyfriend of two years. They were also childhood bestfriends, which makes them even more adorable.

"What about?" I questioned.

"Apparently, he made a comment about Lucas." She said, a little bit of anger rising in her tone.

Kayla has some family problems at home. Her brother, Lucas, was in jail for drug dealing. He is five years older than her, which makes him twenty two.

"Wow, that's terrible. I'm so sorry."

"I guess it is, but it was so cute how Logan stuck up for me!" She gushed.

"Of course, he did. He loves you so much." I've met Logan a couple times over FaceTime. I can see the love he has for her in his eyes.

"I knowwww." I could almost hear her smile though the phone. The mood was ruined when I heard foot steps coming up the the stairs.

"Ugh. I have to go. My dad's coming. I'll talk to you tommorow, k?" I frowned. This always happens when we're on the phone.

"Yup. See ya." She sighed and hung up, just as my dad walked in my room.

"You were tired today. I want you to go to bed now." He ordered, barely giving me a second look before he walked out again, closing my bedroom door.

I sighed and got ready for bed. Once I was ready, I read for about twenty minutes and then went to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I had just finished throwing my hair up into a messy bun. I checked myself in the mirror, and smiled at my perfect bun. I've had a lot of practice, with so much free time on my hands.

I put on mascara and glanced at the blonde, blue eyed girl in the mirror one last time. I would say that I'm pretty. I don't like it though.

Whenever I go anywhere, I get hit on by guys who can't seem to keep they're hands to themselves. I see why my dad likes to keep me in the house as much he possibly can. I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in!" My dad walked in the room with the grocery list in hand.

"Don't be too long." He handed me the list and mumbled a quick goodbye before he went back towards his office.

I folded up the list and tucked it into my jeans pocket. I grabbed the keys when I got downstairs. The list wasn't too long, so I would be in and out of the store, quickly.

Once in the car, I pulled out of our driveway and headed to the grocery store. As I drove, I sang along to the radio. As normally, while listening to music, I started to zone out a bit.

Usually, zoning out would be a good thing for me, but definitely not while I am driving.

Before I could fully comprehend what was happening, there was a crash. I heard it before I felt the impact of it.

I turned around and observed that another car had hit the back of mine. Luckily, it looked as if no one was injured. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same for the back of the car.

I opened my door and stepped out, glad to be on a mostly empty road, and not in the middle of an intersection.

The driver of the other car was already walking towards me, with a concerned look on his face.

"I am so sorry!" He exclaimed, his pace increased as he got closer "Are you hurt at all?"

I looked up at him. He looked around my age. He had dark brown curly hair and warm brown eyes. I could also notice a little bit of freckles above his nose.

Saying he was good looking, would be an understatement.

I realized I was staring and quickly looked away. I had almost forgotten that I was supposed to respond.

"N-No. I'm okay." I stammered out, keeping my eyes on my shuffling feet. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm okay." He walked around to the back of my car and I followed him. "It doesn't look like there is too much damage. I can afford this."

"No way!" I shook my head. "It's my car. I can get my dad to pay for it."

"But It's my fault. I should be the one to pay for it." I heard the engine of another car and looked behind his car, to see that a cop had found us and pulled up.

"Did you call them?" I asked, and he nodded. I sighed, before going to talk to the cop.

The cop had told us that normally the person who hit the other, would be the one to pay, but since I had put up such a fight, he told us to decide. Soon after, he was on his way back to the station.

"Please, just let me pay for it. It'll make me feel less guilty." The stranger begged.

"Then it'll make me feel guilty." I argued.

"Why would you feel guilty?! I'm the one that hit your car!" He was frustrated now.

"I'm paying, that's final." I walked towards his car to inspect the damage and noticed that his car was barely damaged. I also noticed that he had my dream car. A black jeep. Although, it seemed like he's had it for a while, It was still admirable. He's lucky it wasn't destroyed, just some of the paint was scratched up.

I felt his presence behind me, after a little while of standing there, mostly admiring his car.

"See? My car was barely scratched. I don't have to spend much on mine. You can even pay for it! Please let me pay for yours." He continued, begging.

"Nope." I said, popping the p.

"Come on, princess!" He smirked when I gave him a look of disgust for the nickname.

"First if all, don't call me that. Second, I'm paying. You won't change my mind. I'm stubborn " I repeated.

He sighed in defeat and put his hands up in surrender, backing towards his car.

"Whatever you say, princess." He winked at me and climbed into the drivers seat of his Jeep. I didn't think he would give up so easily.

He gave me a small wave of his hand as he drove away. I sighed, shaking my head and got into my own car.

Thankfully, the car wasn't damaged to the point that I couldn't drive it.

I started in the direction of the supermarket, still needing to get the things on the list.

As I was driving, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye and pulled over.

There was an envelope in the passenger seat with a note written in nice neat hand writing on the front of it.

It read,

You thought I was gonna make you pay for that? Sorry, princess, but I'm not that type of guy. I knew you wouldn't give up that easily.

P.S. I never got your name. Mine is Finn.

I shook my head and laughed a little as I open the envelope. Inside there's a load of cash. He must have put it in my car while I was inspecting his.

I smiled to myself, but it instantly faded as another thought popped into my head.

My dad is gonna kill me.

~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for reading the first chapter of my new book "Lock and Key."

Please comment and vote if you like it.

I will respond to comments!!

~haylie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 396 22
She was mentally abused and hated . Her family was supportive but that's not enough. She has some friends but that's not enough to fill her heart. Sh...
956 18 9
Ellie a 17 year-old-girl, has her life planned out, but that changes when she learns that Tristan Ashton, the most popular boy at Rosewood high. Will...
5.6K 1.7K 54
How does puppy love becomes true love? Is 15 years enough for the evolution? Ashton met Finn when he was still a student. No one ever thought that...
1.6K 201 19
Avery Turner is meant for perfection. Perfection in this case, is very academic and not social or emotional. No one has to know that though. For ever...