Together Hamesha (MaNan Versi...

By IntricatelyExpressed

Nandini : Ab mei yeh natak aur nahi kar sakti Manik. You and I, it's over Manik. It's over. Two souls, Mani... More

Character Sketch
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
For my Readers
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 23

885 44 0
By IntricatelyExpressed

As Manik stepped out of Nandini's room, he found Mukti, Cabir, Dhruv, Alya, Abhimanyu, Navya and Aryamann gathered outside. Mukti was about to approach Manik when he held his hand up to signal her to stop and walked away from there. Mukti stared at Manik's retreating figure. A pang of sadness hit her heart. Although she knew she deserved it, she wasn't expecting it to hurt so much. 

As Manik reached a quiet corner of the corridor, he received the phone call and pressed the phone against his ear. 

Manik : Hello Dr. Mehra. 

His lips curved up a little.

Dr. Mehra : Hello Manik. I called you to ask if we could reschedule our appointment. Actually, due to some reasons, our conference has been shifted to tomorrow. So can we meet in an hour or so? 

Manik's smile faded at the question.

Manik : I'm sorry Dr. Mehra but you can't meet Nandini. 

Dr. Mehra : Why? 

Manik went on to explain everything that had happened since morning and how Nandini was in the hospital and her surgery was the only way to save her. Dr. Mehra listened to him patiently. 

Manik : Dr. Mehra, can you please come to the hospital right now? Nandini needs this surgery and you are my only hope to save her. Please Dr. Mehra. Please don't say no. Please.

He pleaded. 

Dr. Mehra : Ofcourse Manik. If a patient needs me, I'll be there for the patient. That's what we doctors are for. Our patients are our top priorities. Don't worry Manik, I'll be at the hospital as soon as possible. Just text me the address. Also, I need to talk to the doctor who's handling Nandini's case. Can you please put her through? 

A huge smile spread across Manik's face as a wave of relief spread through his insides. 

Manik : Yes sure. Give me 2 minutes. I'll call you back. 

Saying that, Manik disconnected the call. Everyone had noticed Manik's expressions change to exhilaration and relaxation in a matter of minutes through just a phone call. But none of them knew the reason behind this 360° transformation. Before any of them could ask why, he sprinted in the opposite direction. 

In Dr. Arohi's Cabin

Manik's happiness knew no bounds. He entered the cabin without knocking. 

Manik : Dr. Arohi? 

Dr. Arohi was seated on her chair and going through some reports as Manik called her out. She lifted her head to look at a beaming Manik. 

Dr. Arohi : Manik? Tum? Tumne Nandini ke operation ke baare mei decision le liya hai? 

She got up from her chair as she questioned him. 

He held her by her shoulders and twirled her around in excitement.  

Manik : Nandini ko kuch nahi hoga. She'll be fine. Usse kuch nahi hoga. Woh thik ho jaayegi.

He kept on repeating the same statements with a constant grin on his face. Dr. Arohi held his arms in order to stop him.  

Dr. Arohi : Manik, stop. Tum kya keh rahe ho? 

Manik left Dr. Arohi.  

Manik : Meri Nandini ko kuch nahi hoga. Jab mujhe Nandini ke tumor ke baare mei pata chala tha, tabhi maine ek foreign doctor ko uski reports bheji thi. He's one of the best neurosurgeons in the world. Aur woh aaj hi Mumbai aaye hai. And he has agreed to be a part of Nandini's surgery. I'm sure he'll save her. 

Manik gushed in delight as Dr. Arohi listened to him intently. 

Manik : Oh no! Inn sab baato mei I forgot that he wanted to talk to you. Ek minute. Mei abhi unhe call karta hu.

The smile wasn't leaving Manik's face. Happiness radiated from his body. Dr. Arohi looked at him with pitiful eyes. She had never seen a love like Manik and Nandini's. She was ecstatic that Nandini had someone like Manik by her side but as a doctor, she also knew what Nandini's actual state was. And it was just a matter of time before the bubble of joy that Manik was living in would burst. She hated how destiny was being so cruel to them. How fate was testing their love. Her thoughts were interrupted as Manik held out his phone for her. She took the phone from his hand and brought it to her ear. 

As Dr. Arohi conversed with Dr. Mehra, Manik's gaze was fixated on her face. But she held a straight face, not giving away any details about what was being said on the other side of the call. However, with every passing minute, Manik could feel that everything was going to be alright. That it would be mere days before Nandini would be at home and in the pink of health. But was it all going to be so easy? Only time would tell.

Dr. Arohi : Okay Dr. Mehra. Sure. I'll do that right away. Thank you. 

She cut the call and returned the phone to Manik. 

Manik : Kya kaha Dr. Mehra ne?

Dr. Arohi : He's on his way here. Unhone Nandini ki reports mail karne ko kaha hai aur operation ki taiyaari karne ko bhi kaha hai. He'll be leading the operation.

Manik's smile widened.

Dr. Arohi : Manik, it would be better if you don't get your hopes too high. Nandini ke reports bahut acche nahi hai. I know Dr. Mehra ek bahut bade neurosurgeon hai but it's better that you be prepared for the wor..

Manik cut her off.

Manik : Dr. Arohi, there's no need for that. Meri Nandini ko kuch nahi hoga. Mujhe Dr. Mehra pe pura bharosa hai. He'll save her. Aur Nandini strong hai. Woh aise hi give up karne walo mei se nahi hai. Don't worry, she'll be fine.

Saying this, he left from there. Manik's optimism was contagious but Dr. Arohi knew better.  

Dr. Arohi : (to herself) Manik, tum isse jitna easy samajh rahe ho yeh utna easy nahi hai. Nandini ki halat bahut kharab hai. I don't think anything other than a miracle can save her. 

She sighed and got back to work.

Outside Nandini's room

Everyone had worried expressions plastered on their faces. One, they feared what the future held for Nandini. Two, they didn't know where and how Manik was. They had seen him have a smile on his face but was it because there was some good news or because he had completely detached himself from reality, they weren't sure. As they saw Manik coming towards them, all of them except Mukti got ready to bombard him with questions. But before they could inquire about his whereabouts or emotional state, Manik came and hugged Mukti. Mukti was taken aback. This was the last thing she was expecting after Manik had just stopped her from uttering a word when she had tried to talk to him and left from there. She was too surprised to reciprocate. As Manik broke apart, he held her shoulders and his signature smile adorned his face. 

Manik : Nandini bilkul thik hojaayegi. Usse kuch nahi hoga. 

He beamed. Everyone's pupils dilated in surprise. Looking at Manik's demeanour, they knew he wasn't lying but they weren't sure. 

Cabir : Tu sach keh raha hai Manik? 

He couldn't believe his ears.

Manik : Tujhe lagta hai mei iss baare mei mazaak karunga?

He said as a matter of fact. The gloominess evaporated off their faces. A surge of relief filled their hearts. They were all smiles except Mukti. She had been just staring at Manik all this while.

Mukti : Kaise? 

Her question brought Manik's attention back to her. 

Manik : Dr. Mehra. Yaad hai woh aaj Mumbai aane wale the? Jab mei Nandini ke room mei tha, tab mujhe unka phone aaya. It was like a ray of hope in a dark tunnel. Isliye jab mei bahar aaya aur tune mujhse baat karne ki koshish ki toh maine tujhe rok dia. Kyunki unse baat karna jyada important tha. And then he wanted to talk to Dr. Arohi so I went to her cabin. He's leading Nandini's operation, Mukti. I trust him. I'm sure woh Nandini ko bacha lenge. Usse kuch nahi hoga.

A small smile formed across Mukti's lips as she realized that she had completely forgotten about Mehra uncle's arrival. 

Dhruv : Lekin yeh Dr. Mehra hai kaun? 

Before Manik could answer, Mukti went ahead. 

Mukti : He's one of the best neurosurgeons in the world. Aur woh mere family friend hai. Jis din Manik ko Nandini ke tumor ke baare mei pata chala tha, ussi din se usne Nandini ko bachane ke liye treatment options dhundne start kar diye the. Usne yeh mere saath bhi discuss kia tha. Dr. Mehra hi hamari ek aakhri hope the. Woh Nandini ko bacha sakte hai. And luckily woh ek conference ke liye Mumbai aa rahe the. Humne unhe Nandini ki situation samjhayi. And woh Nandini ke case ko study karne ke liye ready ho gaye. But then yeh sab ho gaya and I think Manik bhi unke baare mei bhul gaya. But it's a good thing ki woh aa rahe hai. I'm sure woh Nandini ko bacha hi lenge. 

Their hearts jumped in joy. Huge smiles had spread across their faces. Finally, there was some sense of assurity that Nandini would be fit and fine. They had hope to cling on to. But was hope enough to save Nandini? 

As they all of them were basking in joy, Abhimanyu went upto Manik and kept a hand on his shoulder. Manik turned to look at him.

Abhimanyu : Manik, are you sure Nandini will be fine? I mean I know how these types of illnesses are. Tumne sab ko keh toh dia hai ki Nandini thik ho jaayegi. Lekin kya tum sure ho ki Dr. Mehra Nandini ko bacha lenge? Manik, sometimes even the best of doctors give up on certain patients. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything. It's just that I don't want your hopes to be shattered. 

Manik contemplated on his words. But he smiled. 

Manik : Don't worry Abhimanyu. I get it that you're concerned. Lekin Nandini ko kuch nahi hoga. I'm sure. Dr. Mehra's success rate with such types of surgeries is impeccable. I trust him completely. Woh Nandini ko bacha hi lenge.

Abhimanyu was still skeptical but he let it go. He had a feeling that their happiness wouldn't last long. He just nodded his head in response. 

Manik : By the way, everything sorted between Mukti and you? 

Abhimanyu : Haa Manik. Everything's great. Also, mujhe Mukti ko manane mei mehnat bhi nai karni padi. Woh toh aise hi mann gayi. 

Abhimanyu chuckled. Manik joined him too. Mukti spotted them, talking and laughing. She walked towards the duo and stood in front of Manik. 

Mukti : Manik, woh.. mujhe.. tujhse..

Mukti stammered. She looked everywhere but Manik's eyes. She didn't know what to say. But she knew that she had to apologize for her behavior somehow. 

Manik : Haa Mukti bol naa.

Manik coaxed. She looked at Abhimanyu. He blinked his eyes at her in assurance. She took a deep breath before she began to speak again.

Mukti : I'm sorry Manik. 

Manik's eyes widened in surprise. He didn't understand the reason behind her apology. 

Manik : Tu kyu sorry bol rahi hai Mukti? 

He questioned. Mukti looked into his eyes. 

Mukti : Tujhe woh sab bolne ke liye. Mujhe aisa nahi bolna chahiye tha Manik. Tu already itna hurt tha aur maine tujhe Nandini ki haalat ke liye blame karke tujhe aur hurt kar dia. Mujhe koi haq nahi tha tujhse woh sab kehne ka. I'm sorry Manik. Please mujhe maaf kar de. I swear I didn't mean those words. I don't know mujhe kya hogaya tha. I'm extremely sorry Manik. I'm sorry. 

Mukti's eyes teared up as she lowered her lashes. Manik's mind went back to the time when Mukti had ruthlessly scratched his already open wound and walked out. But he didn't blame her for that sudden outburst. He was partially at fault too. No matter what, he should have told Mukti the truth about Abhimanyu's existence. At least when he had seen her breaking down in front of him. 

Manik : Come on Mukti. Mujhe toh yeh baat yaad bhi nahi thi. Aur galti meri bhi toh thi. Mujhe tujhse itni badi baat nahi chupani chahiye thi. Isliye tu guilty mat feel kar. Jo hogaya so hogaya. Bhul jaate hai. Okay? 

Manik looked at her with expectant eyes. Not having any words to say, she just hugged him and sobbed. Manik rubbed her arm to comfort her. 

Manik : Bas baba. It's okay. Ab mujhe na meri strong wali best friend waapis chahiye. Yeh cranky wali ko handle kar karke mei thak gaya hu.

Manik giggled and so did the others. Mukti smacked him on his chest as she got out of his arms. She smiled through her tears. Just then, Dr. Arohi came towards them. 

Dr. Arohi : Dr. Mehra must be reaching. He'll come and fill you in about the potential risks of the surgery. Yeh kuch forms hai.

Dr. Arohi handed a clipboard to Manik. Manik took the clipboard from her hand. 

Dr. Arohi : Once, Dr. Mehra briefs you, you'll have to sign these forms before we take Nandini to the operation theatre. 

Manik glimpsed at it briefly and focused his attention back to Dr. Arohi.

Manik : Inn forms mei kya likha hai? 

Before Dr. Arohi could answer his question, a tall man in his late 40s arrived there. 

Man : Aap mei se Mr. Manik Malhotra kaun hai? 

Before Manik could reply, he heard Mukti say something.

Mukti : Mehra uncle. 

Manik glanced towards Mukti momentarily and then back at the man who asked about him.

Dr. Mehra : Oh! Hello Mukti beta. How are you? 

Mukti : Mei thik hu uncle. Yeh Manik hai.

She pointed towards Manik. Dr. Mehra smiled at him and introduced himself.

Dr. Mehra : Hi, I'm Dr. Karan Mehra. 

He forwarded his hand for a shake. Manik took his hand and gave him a smile. 

Manik : Manik. Manik Malhotra. Aapne phone par mujhse hi baat ki thi. 

Dr. Mehra : Yes yes. Maine Miss Murthy ke saare reports dekh liye hai. And as compared to her scans that you mailed, the size of her tumor has increased to a great extent. According to her previous scans, we had a greater chance of saving her. But now, there's roughly a 2% chance that we'll be able to save Nandini. And the other risks that Dr. Arohi must have informed you about, those prevail too. We'll try our best to save her but I think you guys should prepare yourselves for the worst.

As soon as the words left Dr. Mehra's lips, Manik's world came crumbling down. He staggered. The smiles faded off everyone's faces. Just a few moments ago, Manik had been on cloud nine thinking that the distance between him and Nandini was just a matter of days. Dr. Arohi had forewarned him but he was elated to have found hope and didn't pay attention to her warnings. Instead he had given hopes to everyone else too. And now, Dr. Mehra was telling him that he has to be prepared to lose his reason to live? How does one even gear themselves up for that sort of a thing? The ground had been snacthed beneath his feet. And there was nothing he could do. Dr. Mehra kept a hand on his shoulder.

Dr. Mehra : Manik, hum puri koshish karenge. 2% chances abhi bhi hai. I'll give you some time to decide. But don't take too long. Dr. Arohi will tell you what these forms state. And when you've decided, sign these forms. 

He said pointing towards the clipboard in Manik's hand. 

Dr. Mehra : Now if y'all will excuse me. I have to go and prepare for the operation. I'll see y'all in a while? 

He waited for an answer but all of them were appalled and at a loss of words. Dr. Mehra threw a sympathetic glance their way and left from there. Each one of them stood rooted to their positions.

Manik : (In his thoughts) Nahi Manik. You can't lose hope. 2% chance toh hai na. Aur Nandini strong hai. Usse kuch nahi hoga. Bina surgery ke uske paas kuch hi din honge lekin surgery ke baad uske paas puri life ho sakti hai. Aur Nandini ke Aiyappa hai na. Nandini ne hamesha unpar bharosa kia hai. I'm sure woh uss bharose ko tutne nahi denge. He'll protect her. I have to take this chance. For Nandini. For me. For us. 

Manik stood in front of Dr. Arohi.

Manik : Kya likha hai inn forms mei?

He questioned with determination in his eyes.

Dr. Arohi : Inmei likha hai ki agar operation ke waqt Nandini ko kuch bhi hota hai yaa uski operation table par death ho jaati hai, toh uske liye hospital ya doctors zimmedaar nahi honge.

Manik's heart filled with trepidation at the mention of the word ‘death’. Tears brimmed his eyes. A second ago, he was confident about signing the papers but now, how could he sign Nandini's death sentence? Even the mere thought of Nandini not coming out alive of the operation theatre sent shivers down his entire body. His hands were quivering as he took the pen and signed those papers. He gave the forms back to Dr. Arohi, who left after taking them. Manik just sat on the nearby bench as his legs didn't support him anymore and held his head in his hands. How had their lives taken such a drastic turn? They were happy yesterday. Then why did all of this have to happen? Why had their happiness been destroyed like this? While all these questions were evading Manik's brain, two ward boys along with Dr. Arohi entered Nandini's room. A few minutes later, the ward boys brought Nandini out. Manik and the others went towards Nandini's stretcher. With tear-filled eyes, Manik held Nandini's hand all the way to the operation theatre. He didn't want to let go of her but he knew he had to. Reluctantly, he left her hand. The ward boys took Nandini inside the operation theatre and the others stayed outside. Dr. Mehra arrived and to calm Manik's raging nerves, he blinked his eyes reassuringly at Manik and entered the operation theatre. The light bulb outside the operation theatre went on indicating that the operation had begun. Cabir, Aryamann, Abhimanyu and Dhruv stood near the chairs while Mukti, Alya and Navya were seated on the chairs outside. Manik kept staring at the door. Every second felt like an hour. All the worst possible consequences of the surgery tormented his mind. Negativity was the last thing he wanted to absorb right now. He needed to get away. So, Manik left from there. Cabir was about to go behind him when,

Mukti : Jaane de usse Cabir. Let him be alone for some time. 

Cabir was going to argue but he decided against it. He knew that no one knew Manik's state of mind better than Mukti did. 

Manik walked towards the hospital's temple. The person who never believed in God, was now standing in front of Him. He couldn't do anything to improve Nandini's condition but he could pray to her Aiyappa for her well being. And he would. He would even beg if he had to. He knelt down in front of the idol and folded his hands. 

Manik : Please meri Nandini ko thik kar do. Please usse bacha lo. Please. Woh aap par bahut bharosa karti hai. Please uske iss bharose ko tutne mat dena. Please usse kuch mat hone dena. Please.

He kept his head on his folded hands and let his tears roll down his cheeks. He sat there for some time and then headed back to the operation theatre. No matter what, he still blamed himself for her condition. He couldn't help Nandini in any way and he loathed himself for that. All he could do was sit and wait. He had never felt so powerless. 

After the agonizing wait of almost 6 hours that felt like 6 decades to Manik, the light bulb outside the operation theatre went off indicating that operation was complete. As Dr. Mehra came out, Manik rushed towards him with the others at his heels.

Manik : Doctor, Nandini? Woh thik hai na?

With his heart in his mouth as he enquired about Nandini, hope was visible in his eyes. But what Dr. Mehra said next, was something none of them had thought of in their wildest dreams.

Dr. Mehra : I'm sorry Manik. 

Manik felt as if someone had knocked the wind out of his lungs. To say he was devastated, would be an understatement. But he was unaware of the fact that this was just the start of an avalanche that is going to create havoc in his life. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.1K 1.3K 12
▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️ Nandini Kashyap was a pampered child of a prominent political family in New Delhi. Her life was all about fighting with her cousin and cre...
113K 7K 24
This story begins from the point of Musicana night where Manik breaks Nandini's heart breaking himself in the process. What will happen next? Will Na...
115K 7.7K 23
Two Souls Craving for True Love.....❤ Two souls Separated Due to Circumstances.... Missing Each Other....... Will their thirst of love ever be satisf...
153K 7.9K 30
Manik and Nandini were in love with each other ... they were inseparable. After so many difficulties and problems they had came together but sometime...