Rags to Riches

By FictionalCasualtiez

Teagan Carter was going to wait it out until Oliver Bartholomew, one of the richest men in America, stopped s... More

Part One: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Billion Dollar Dance
Chapter 3: Take Cover
Chapter 4: The Montage
Chapter 5: Do We Have A Deal?
Chapter 6: The Tale of Erin and Oliver
Chapter 7: Dessert Asile
Chapter 9: The Insider
Chapter 10: The One and Only
Part Two: Chapter 11
Chapter 12: Dream Team
Chapter 13: The Ball
Chapter 14: Unlimited Bank Account
Chapter 15: Make Good Decisions
Chapter 16: Dress To Impress
Chapter 17: The Asylum
Chapter 18: Beacon of Hope
Chapter 19: Hypocrites
Chapter 20: Let It Go
Chapter 21: You're Grounded
Chapter 22: Financially Unattractive
Chapter 23: Final Finale
Chapter 24: Handling The Truth
Chapter 25: He Bites The Dust
Part Three: Chapter 26
Chapter 27: Mr. Tall Mysterious and Handsome
Chapter 28: Spring Break
Chapter 29: Focus
Chapter 30: Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 31: Brotherly Love
Chapter 32: The Price To Pay
Chapter 33: Peace Treaty
Chapter 34: Kidnapped
Chapter 35: Don't Forget
Epilogue
Author's Note (New Updates)
Interesting Info (updated)

Chapter 8: Catch Me If You Can

9.6K 405 15
By FictionalCasualtiez

My eyes widen as I try to peek down the aisle, but Theo pushes me back gently. "Do you realize what this means?"

"No, Theo. I don't." I say honestly.

"It means I have another chance." Theo says excitedly. "I can catch them now for proof, then when I accuse him I can bring the pictures to court."

"Seriously, Theo? You're going to bust them here?"

He glares at me. "Why not?"

That was actually a good question. Something was holding me back and I realized this was much easier when he was doing all the dirty work alone.

"Aw man," Theo shakes his head then gives me a short laugh. "Don't back out on me now. Do you want him caught or not?"

"Will Erin get in trouble?" I ask quietly.

Theo sighs, annoyed. "No. If anything, she will get sympathy."

I nod and look down at my dirty converse. "Yeah, that's true."

"Exactly." Theo says pointedly. "Now give me your new phone, mine ran out of battery."

"About that... I didn't use your new phone. I won't accept a gift like that. I don't care how rich you are, I'm not going to mooch off of you. Now come on," I hand him my older phone and when I look up at him, he's staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing." He says after looking away and walking toward the end of the aisle.

I shrug and walk after him. I peek my head around his shoulder and see Oliver and Erin giggling and laughing with each other. I couldn't help but notice how beautiful Erin looked tonight. She was wearing a long gown with her hair in a bun on her head, loose curls grazing her neck. Oliver looked even more handsome from when I first met him, although I wasn't really that surprised.

They looked so out of place here, it was almost funny how this is where they were going to get caught.

"What are we waiting for?" I whisper.

Theo pulls me back around from our spot and looks down at me. "We have to wait until they actually kiss."

I nod. "Got it. Okay."

We peek back around and there they are. Erin takes a donut box and pulls out a white powdered donut. "I know this will make a huge dent in your bank account, but it's worth it. I promise." Erin laughs and takes a large bite so there is power all over her face. Oliver has stopped his constant laughter and just looks at her. Erin was still giggling with the white powder all over her face and Oliver reaches over to cup her cheek in his hand. "You're beautiful," he says and she blushes.

"I have power all over my face." She argues quietly.

He leans over to kiss her-

"Do you two need help with anything?"

I was so startled by the store clerk's voice, I yelp then jump back and crash right into Theo.

"Shit," He grunts as he crashes into a shelf and the shelf of food goes tumbling down to the ground with us. My phone hit the hard tile and easily shattered.

"No!" I yell without thinking and Theo instantly presses a hand against my mouth. He pulls me up swiftly and switches his hand from my mouth to my arm.

"We need go," Theo says in a harsh voice.

I look at him then notice over his shoulder Oliver rounding the corner. Theo either notices the fear on my face or he was just planning on bolting anyway. It doesn't matter, because he pulls me along with him as he runs across all the aisles of the food store. "Where is the exit again?" He asks and I just shake my head. "I wasn't paying attention-"

"Theodore, stop running away. I know you're here." Oliver's voice booms through the entire store.

"Shit." We both say at the same time then look at each other.

"What will happen if he really finds out it's you?" I ask.

"Well, a lot of things. The top probably being a good beating." Theo says and I'm surprised to see how calmly he's acting. If my brother was Oliver Bartholomew and I knew he was about to beat the crap out of me, I'd be pretty scared.

I look around at our surroundings, trying to think of a plan. I spot a tower of soup cans and as soon as I see Oliver's tall form step out from an aisle I run over and kick them. "Ow!" I shout, but the cans muffled my yell as they all roll toward Oliver.

Theo quickly grabs my arm again as we rush toward where the checkout numbers are lit up.

I hear Erin yell, "Oliver!" just as the sound of someone falling echoes through the empty food store. This was then followed by, "Dammit Theodore!" from Oliver.

Theo stops short and looks around for the exit.

"Over there," I point to the automatic doors just as the store clerk that scared me in the first place rushes toward us. He was older, so it's not like he was rushing very fast. "Stop right there!" he yells.

Theo lets out a heavy breath before taking my hand this time and sprinting toward the door.

"STOP!" I the old man shrieks just as we exit through the doors and we are outside in the chilly spring air.

"This isn't over yet, princess." Theo mutters as he again sprints toward my car. "I need the keys!" He shouts.

"No way!" I yell back. "This isn't even my car!"

"Ugh! Teenagers!" Theo snaps and quickly slides into the passenger side.

I slow down once we get to the car and hop into the driver's seat.

"Teagan, go." Theo says.

"Let me have a breather!" I glare at him and he glares right back.

"We don't have time for breathers, Teagan. You think Erin won't know you're with me when she sees this piece of crap? I'm sure you're the only one who owns this thing in a-"

"Okay! I get it!" I snap as I put the car into drive and speed away. I've never gone past the speed limit before, but tonight was just full of things I've never done before.

For instance, I've never been chased down by Oliver Bartholomew in an empty food store at four in the morning.

****

"Where do you live?" I ask once we are closer to town. We were both silent the entire time and I didn't have any arguments. My dashboard read 5:00 am in the morning, which meant I hadn't slept all night.

Theo picks his head up from the window and looks around. "I live like fifteen minutes away from the main office of Bartholomew Hotels."

I nod, knowing exactly where that was. Of course he lived in that development, the only development in this town that had blocks of houses looking more like palaces.

Once we are driving down the block Theo immediately points to a large mansion closed off by two large gates. "This is me,"

"Do I actually have to pull all the way in, or can you walk?" I ask.

Theo holds up his hands in defense. "I can take a hint. By the way, I'll pay you for gas the next time I see you."

I raise an eyebrow. "The next time you see me, huh? You sound pretty confident that there is going to be a next time."

Theo gives me a look like he's pitying me. "Teagan, this isn't over. We still haven't caught him and your friend is completely oblivious to his charms."

"She's not oblivious, she just really likes him." I say, feeling the need to defend her.

"Exactly, which makes her oblivious. Remember how he called her beautiful and gave her that smoldering look?" he wiggles around his fingers dramatically. "She ate that right up. Which means, this is going to be harder than I originally thought." He begins to think. "We need someone who is able to get us into the events Oliver goes to."

I lean back in my seat and cross my arms. "And why can't you be that person?" I ask with a sigh.

"Because my brother and I are involved with two different crowds. Just as he gets invited to balls and horse shows, I get invited to my own events."

I run a hand through my hair. "Well, it's almost six and I have to get home. Good luck figuring that out."

Theo nods. "Yeah, thanks." he says sarcastically and opens the door. "See you later," he steps out of the passenger side, and before he closes the door he bends down and peeks his head back in. "Oh, and Teagan?"

"Yes, Theo?" I ask yawning, starting to feel the impact of no sleep.

"Since your phone is completely destroyed, you should really use the one I bought you."

I shake my head. "I told you-"

"Yeah, I know what you told me. But I was the one who broke your phone so I owe you a new one. And I doubt I can buy the same one, considering how old it is."

I nod, too tired to fight him right now. "Fine, okay. I'll keep the phone."

Theo grins before he closes the car door and walks up to his gate. He punches in a passcode before the gates open and he walks up his long driveway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

494K 8.1K 26
Athena can't have him. He's her brother's best friend who has a tainted past. She hasn't seen him in over four years all because of a drama that she...
539 15 5
Successful attorney, Steven Carter, is not looking for love; he already has it with his doctor-boyfriend. Coming out of the closet to his family is s...
215K 7.2K 36
Nathaniel Knox has only ever seen Phoebe as one thing: forbidden. He's no good for anyone - especially not someone as sweet as his best friend's litt...
127K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...