The Inferno Tornado (Akatsuki...

By Dragongi49

All I wanted was to be together with them for the rest of my life. To watch my childhood friends grow. To wat... More

Princess Yona
Broken Bond
Faraway Sky
The Wind Tribe
Roar
Fate and the Chosen Door
Wavering Determination
Yearn
The Dragon's Claw
The Blindfolded Dragon
Light
To a New Land
Pirate of Awa
Bond
Trial of Senjusou Plant
Chain of Courage
History is Made at Night
Morning of Pledges
From Here On
Bad Attraction
Authors Note
Where There's a Will, There's a Way
Like a Dream
Young Leaves in the Wind; Part 1
Young Leaves in the Wind; Part 2
Shaken Journey

People Can't Imagine That Which They Don't Know

496 16 0
By Dragongi49

I watched the soldiers with cautious eyes as I leaned lazily on my spear. Their warning echoed throughout the night sky. Tch. Cocky runts.

"What's that sound?" Yoon asked nervously. I grabbed my spear and stood straight. "A warning march." I answered casually. Hak nodded and stepped between me and Kija.

All in all, the situation isn't great.

Kija moved his dragon hand up and narrowed his eyes at the soldiers. "Bring it on then." I grinned at his words. Ah man, I'm itching for a fight now.

Tae-Jun looked over at Yona. "D-Don't worry Princess! I'm going to stop them right now!" He declared, face still pale. But he is trying.

Yona smiled gently at him. "Yes. I'll be watching you. Show me that you're serious." Tae-Jun's pale face went bright red in a matter of seconds. "Ah. Watch out Yona. You might just kill him." I said as his legs trembled, nearly giving out.

Yona just looked at me with furrowed brows, not understanding. I don't even think that he's functioning any more. "You are a frightful weapon indeed." I said seriously. Hak nodded his head in agreement, but it just made her even more confused.

"What's wrong Shin-Ah?" Hm? Kija's question made me look over at Shin-Ah. He's facing the soldiers, but he's a bit stiffer than normal. "Fire arrows." My eyes went wide and I turned quickly towards the soldier.

No way. "Are they insane?" I muttered. They wouldn't. Not with Tae-Jun still here!

I could see the fire from afar. We all sprung into action. "Princess, stand back!" Kija shouted. Yoon grabbed Yona and held her back and the rest of us jumped in front of them. Hak and I took the front, spears at the ready. If they head this way, we can deflect them. The fire is going to be the trickiest part. Man, this is going to be a hassle.

"Princess!!" Huh? Tae-Jun moved forward, glancing back at Yona. His expression soft and holding many emotions. Gratitude, adoration, fear, but most of all, a small flame of determination. "Thank you for believing in me."

He then took off, straight towards the soldiers with arrows at the ready. But he didn't falter. No, he just charged forward with a loud battle cry.

The arrows soared through the air, but Tae-Jun didn't stop. He ran at them. They fell all around him, but he didn't stop. It's hard to believe that this is the same cry-baby from before.

The old Tae-Jun was a coward who couldn't handle conflict. He ran away at any sign of danger. He knew he couldn't win, so he ran and had to be rescued by his guards.

The same crybaby is running straight through the fire arrows. My eyes drifted towards Yona who watched him intently. Is it you? You really are someone who brings strength to others, huh, Yona? My lips quirked up in a smile. You really are something.

My gaze went back. They stopped firing. Tae-Jun must've made it. "They're going back." Shin-Ah spoke. So he did it. I smirked. "Not so much a crybaby now, are you?" I whispered into the night air. Well done Tae-Jun.

~

"Yona, I'm bored~!" I complained as I leaned against Yoon, my arms draping over his shoulder as I put my weight on the younger boy. It's the day after the whole shebang with the Fire Tribe and Tae-Jun.

He didn't come back after running into a flail of fire arrows, but Shin-Ah saw what had happened, he's okay. I imagine he'll be popping up here soon, kids persistent.

"Don't lean on me, I'm busy!" The younger boy shouted, trying to throw me off. But I am bigger than him so it wasn't an easy feat. "Kiri, why don't you help me with-oh." She seemed surprised, her beautiful eyes looking over towards the west. Hm?

Hak headed her way, holding a bug in his right hand. "Is that the second son?" Yoon asked. I nodded, standing straight and walking over with Yona and Kija.

Since he was free, Yoon went back to his work. I stopped just beside Yona as Hak let go of Tae-Jun. He has a large bundle in his arms and it smells really good. Must be food. "Yo, Second Son." I held my hand up in a half ass wave.

"You're here again?" Yona asked curiously. Tae-Jun nodded quickly, a light blush on his face. "I am visiting today to . . ." The longer he stared at Yona the redder he became. He began to fidget with his hands. "U-u-u-um to give you a gift." He began, his voice becoming harder to hear.

What is with this young love thing?

I picked up the bundle and began to investigate it. Like I thought, food. Hak peered at it over my shoulder and plucked up one of the delicious looking foods. "White Snake, open your mouth." He demanded.

Kija didn't really think of it, he did as he said and opened up, allowing Hak to toss the food into his mouth. "How is it?" I asked curiously.

Kija's eyes lit up a bit as he munched on it. "It's really delicious. It's light but it has a deep flavor that lingers inside your mouth, faintly like spring."

I sweat dropped, glancing at my brother. "What does spring taste like?" I asked him, but he just shrugged and grabbed the food from me, going to Yona. "Okay. You can eat it Princess."

I reached over and snatched one up, plopping it in my mouth as Yona admired the delicacy. "I'm delighted, thank you." She beamed at TaeJun, who turned impossibly redder. He then began to twirl around, like he's off in la la land.

Jeez, what a weirdo.

Yona turned to some of the villagers, holding the food. "Get in line everybody. It's only a little though."

Tae-Jun fell as she began to hand some out. He sprung back up quickly, going to her side. "Princess, I wanted to give that to you." He began, but Yona quickly responded. "They've all had nothing to eat since the morning. So this is helpful."

At her words he took a look around at the villagers who are rather thin, dirty, unhealthy. "Princess, aren't you getting enough to eat?"

She tilted her head to look at him. "Me? I'm fine. I'm healthy. I had the luxury to last anyone a lifetime when I was a child. I've been thinking about it lately. In the extravagant things I had thrown away back then were brought here . . . if that had happened would that have made the country more equal? As if I've come to understand that. Even something like that is not so simple."

At her words, he didn't say anything back. It's not like he could. Very much like Yona, he grew up sheltered. This is probably the first he's seen of his land. Truly see. And that, like Yona, will make him start thinking.

Even as Yona and the others went back to helping the villagers, I kept my eye on the young lord. How a little boy pulled on his sleeve and asked for food for his mother. How Tae-Jun didn't have any, but quickly gave him his water and made promises to bring food tomorrow. How he looked at the ground with this confused expression of conflicted feelings.

He wasn't ignoring it, like all the other rich lords. For once he is actually looking, he is seeing, truly seeing what lies behind the riches and titles. And he's seeing what is going on here with his own two eyes.

True to his word, the next day Tae-Jun returned with more food and supplies. He's really only doing so to please Yona, but the more he comes by, the more he sees the more he's told, I have great faith that he will change.

"What? We got another companion while I was away?" Jae-Ha asked, appearing seemingly out of nowhere between me and Kija. I scratched my head a bit. "I wouldn't necessarily call him that." Kija nodded, pointing an accusatory finger at Tae-Jun as he followed Yona around like a baby duck. "No! That guy is the son of the Fire Tribe Chief! He's our enemy!" He declared.

Jae-Ha hummed as he watched our newbie with curious eyes. "Interesting. Normally someone like that can't get near Yona."

I sighed, placing a hand on my hip. "It's a little complicated, but he's basically another Kija." I told him as he stared at Yona dreamily. It seemed like flowers were around him as he watched her. "When I see him like that I get very suspicious of him."

Jae-Ha sweat dropped and leaned over towards me a bit. "I guess Kija knows how he feels." He murmured. I nodded my head slightly, another sigh escaping my lips. "Yona's harem continues to grow, but all we got was an old fanboy. I'm already used to him, it's not nearly as fun."

Just as I said that, Yona plopped something in Tae-Jun's mouth and he fell straight down in red bliss. A sly grin spread across my face and I chuckled. "But then again, you can't really beat a classic." Even Jae-Ha snickered at that as we watched him spring back up and continue his admiring.

Well, whatever. "Jae-Ha, help me repair the roof." I nodded to the building across the way before hopping onto the green haired mans back. "Of course." He jumped up, and because of his leg we easily soared right over.

I have to say he's my favorite mode of transportation, but he's a pervert so it's hard to stand him for too long.

"You seem pretty relaxed despite having the enemy here and all." Jae-Ha noted as Kija tossed up some supplies for us. I took the shingles and a hammer, getting to work. "Tae-Jun? Even Zeno could take care of him. He isn't a threat." I said with a shrug.

He hummed, getting to work next to me. "Yeah, that may be true. But that doesn't seem to be all you think of him." I shot him a look. Leave it to Jae-Ha to notice every little detail. But that's just how he is, I suppose. Despite his laid back and flirtatious attitude, he's actually pretty sharp.

"He kind of reminds me of Yona. Before we left the castle." His face immediately twisted at the comparison, making me chuckle.

"He's ignorant. And although he's infuriating, he does kind of remind me of her. I think . . . I think her showing him this will do the Fire Land good."

Maybe he can change this land. He has the power. All he needs is to see things differently. I don't want to have to make an enemy out of him. Besides, Yona has a way of changing people's hearts. If she can do this with Tae-Jun then it could move the tide, even a little bit.

Having the second son of the Fire Tribe Chief as an ally could one day help us. Keep us alive. Keep her alive. And there's nothing that I won't do to ensure her safety.

"I think you're right. He doesn't seem like a bad kid. Just ignorant." Jae-Ha agreed with me as we continued to work on the roof. My gaze lifted up to him and I smirked. "If you wanna spy on them, go ahead. But he's not going to get very far in the race. And neither will you if you keep half-assing it."

He scoffed at me, placing a hand over his heart dramatically. "I am not half-assing!" He protested. I couldn't help but snort at his claim, a sly grin on my face. "Sure you're not. But if you're not gonna follow, take me to the river, I promised Jin I'd help with laundry." Hammering the last nail in the roof, I jumped onto Jae-Ha, wrapping my arms and legs around him.

He sweat dropped. "Am I only a mode of transportation to you?"

"Yeah. Now hurry up." I demanded. He cried crocodile tears. "You're so cruel to me." But despite his words, we took off.

~

Day after day after day went by. And in that time, Tae-Jun has taken his soldiers to assist the people in the village with everything. At first it wasn't so great, since some soldiers wanted to abuse the people, but the idiot wouldn't let them. Even Yoon went in and helped them all out, gaining him more marriage proposals by the men.

Today we leave for our next task at hand. And last night, Yona entrusted the people in the Fire Tribe to Tae-Jun. "Ah, Kiri! Did you manage to deliver the medicine to Tae-Jun?"

Yona asked as she and the others waited for me. I nodded and leaned lazily on my brother. "Yep. Kid cried too. It was hilarious." She frowned at that. Zeno laughed and latched onto my side. "Miss, you're too blunt." I shrugged before looking over to Yona.

"So, where to next Princess?"

She glanced at the horizon, her eyes catching the light. A light smile graced her face and she glanced back at us. "Forward. We'll go forward."

Hm. A true smile made its way onto my face and pride swelled within me. No matter where we go you'll be able to shine your light over everyone. Bringing hope with you. I truly want to see what you'll do next. And how many lives you'll be able to touch.

"Well then." I looked up at my brother who mirrored my smile. "We should get going." He finished. And with that, we left, leaving a brand new Tae-Jun behind.

Hey, Yona. Just what will you do next, I wonder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 111 23
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
174 1 11
Haven't written in a year so the content may not be as good as before. You met him by chance at the library. You met him again at a bookstore. You d...
431K 9.6K 58
A bunch of Akatsuki no Yona/Yona of the dawn x reader stories from the series for you to enjoy! DISCLAIMER: I do not own Akatsuki no Yona (duh). -Re...