The Art of Starting Over

By AliasTummas1

Have you ever sunk so low that you actually felt relieved, knowing that it couldn't possibly get any worse? ... More

Intro Note
Prologue - Special Delivery
Chapter 1 - Coffee, Anisette and Lipstick
Chapter 2 - The All-Seeing Eye
Chapter 3 - Flats It Is
Chapter 4 - Exes and Oh's
Chapter 5 - The Boss
Chapter 6 - Call Me Jeremy
Chapter 7 - The Wineless Lunch
Chapter 8 - A Different Life
Chapter 9 - The Deal
Chapter 10 - The Date
Chapter 11 - The Morning After
Chapter 12 - What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?
Chapter 13 - The Ultimatum
Chapter 14 - An Unexpected Visit
Chapter 15 - Ipokriti
Chapter 16 - Netflix and Chill
Chapter 17 - U-Turn
Chapter 18 - U-Turn Part 2
Chapter 19 - Stupor
Chapter 20 - Like a Prayer
Chapter 21 - White and Black
Chapter 22 - Restored... Or Almost
Chapter 23 - Waiting
Chapter 24 - Fact Finding
Chapter 25 - A Grand Entrance
Chapter 26 - Don't Lose Sleep
Chapter 27 - The Party
Chapter 28 - The Party Part 2
Chapter 29 - Joy Ride
Chapter 30 - The Dance
Chapter 31 - The Waiting Room
Chapter 32 - Inception
Chapter 33 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 34 - Screwdriver
Chapter 35 - Phone Calls
Chapter 36 - Snakes and Butterflies
Chapter 37 - Refusing Coffee is a Sin
Chapter 38 - The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 39 - Thunder
Chapter 40 - Reunions and Feuds
Chapter 41 - Sosa's Secret
Chapter 42 - Jingles
Chapter 43 - Dyschronometria
Chapter 44 - Laundry
Chapter 45 - The Other Side
Chapter 46 - The Blow
Chapter 47 - New Leaf
Chapter 48 - Lost
Chapter 49 - Found
Chapter 50 - Kiss of Death
Chapter 51 - Moving On 101
Chapter 52 - Team Ally... Team J.J
Chapter 53 - Women... Not Bottles
Chapter 54 - Collision
Chapter 55 - Crash and Burn
Chapter 56 - Sweet, Sweet Purgatory
Chapter 57 - Sex and Literature
Chapter 58 - The Fall
Chapter 59 - Clean Slates Are Messy
Chapter 60 - Veracity
Chapter 61 - Veracity Part 2
Chapter 62 - Yet Another Aftermath
Chapter 63 - Belle's Library
Chapter 64 - Daddy Issues
Chapter 65 - Chances
Chapter 66 - Revelations
Chapter 67 - London Calling
Chapter 68 - Self-Actualisation
Chapter 69 - Self-Actualisation Part 2
Bonus (CUT) #1 - I'm Pregnant
Bonus (CUT) #2 - The First Days
Bonus (CUT) #3 - The Man at the Party
Bonus (CUT) #4 - The Girl at the Bar
Bonus (CUT) #5 - The Day She Left Me

Epilogue - The Art of Finishing

633 44 46
By AliasTummas1

ALLY

People start to gather early. The invitation said eight o'clock. It is still twenty minutes to eight and the hallway and courtyard are already hosting an impressive crowd of the bold, the rich and the beautiful. I fret with my dress nervously.

"Stop fidgeting. You look fine."

"Wow! You really know how to compliment a woman, don't you?" I say to Jeremy rolling my eyes.

He turns to me with a devilish half-smile and a familiar burning builds up deep inside my navel. Jeremy is a sight to behold tonight. He looks amazing in his black tuxedo and sinister glare, his bright eyes glowing at me in his clean-shaven face. My insides turn to gravy as he steps closer and leans in until I feel his hot breath below my ear.

"Do you really want me to compliment you in public, Sparky?"

I feel the colour rush to my cheeks. Good God, he makes me melt with just the lustrous tone of his voice. He bites his lower lip and stares me down through his icy blue eyes, perfectly satisfied with the effect he has on me. His mouth curls as he sees the lust in my eyes.

Cocky bastard!

"Didn't think so," he mutters knowingly before lifting his gaze back to the front door. His expression changes instantly.

"Oh boy," he sighs. "Here we go."

I turn around and see a middle-aged couple walking towards us. The woman is absolutely breathtaking. No other words can be used to describe her. Her jet-black hair is intricately assembled at the nape of her neck. She has a few fine wrinkles around her full mouth and brown, feline eyes but other than that, her skin is perfectly smooth and has that rich-person glow. Her magnificent long, maroon dress is made out of fine silk and perfectly showcases her figure. A simple, drop diamond necklace complements the low neckline.

The man beside her pales in comparison, however, there is an air about him that makes him somewhat attractive. He has light blue eyes and light brown hair that's lightly streaked with white.

"Who's that?" I ask curiously.

Jeremy's jaw clenches and he replies,"My mother."

I suddenly notice the resemblance and my heart starts beating very fast. I didn't know he invited his parents to the grand opening of The Alison. My mind goes back to the first and only time I spoke to her over the phone and I feel a faint sheen of sweat forming on my face.

"Good evening, my darling," Mrs Cordina says in a breathy voice when they reach us. "Looks like you've organised quite the gathering. The place looks marvellous."

The little hairs at the back of my neck stand on edge as I turn my attention to Jeremy, who looks like he's sucking a particularly sour lemon.

"Good evening, Mother. Uncle John," he adds without looking in the man's direction.

Uncle John?

Ah yes! I only saw Jeremy's father once but I remember the experience vividly. John is like the younger, less handsome but somehow more appealing version of Jeremy's ominous father.

"Jeremy," Uncle John acknowledges with a hint of humility in his eyes.

I feel Jeremy tense beside me and I slide my hand through his and squeeze it gently. His mother sees and eyes me condescendingly. Her eyes stop on our intertwined hands, then on my face, then go back to Jeremy.

"I'm afraid your father won't be coming tonight, Jeremy. He had an important business dinner to attend to. Probably with the new secretary," she says scathingly, arching one perfectly groomed eyebrow. Then nodding her head vaguely in my direction she adds, "Care to introduce us?"

Jeremy releases a patient breath as he looks somewhere above his mother's head. "This is Alison," he answers coldly.

My stomach knots at the sound of his tone.

This is Alison? That's it?

I smile politely at her, trying not to let my emotions show as I reach out a hand to her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs Cordina."

She contemplates my hand before touching it briefly. "Alison? Alison as in the friend who was sleeping on your couch?"

Her words are directed at Jeremy but she is still looking challengingly at me like we're the last finalists in a staring contest.

"Alison, as in my girlfriend and business partner." Jeremy's tone is stone-cold and strong, just like it always is when he's trying to control his anger.

"Ah!" she smiles knowingly. "Glad to see you want nothing to do with my son's money and are contented with just your name on the façade of his hotel."

Her words slice through me like a knife. My eyes start to sting but Jeremy's hand on my back gives me all the strength I need to stand my ground. I stare back at her and bite my tongue, not only because I want to be the bigger person but because this is Jeremy's night. He worked very hard for this and I don't want to taint it by scalping his witch of a mother.

"Mother," Jeremy starts, his face stiff and his voice restrained. "Why don't you and Uncle John go get a drink? You seem parched."

All the fake sweetness is drained from Mrs Cordina's face as her eyes finally leave my face and turn to Jeremy. The room temperature drops as they stare each other down.

John coughs uncomfortably beside her and says, "Quite! Let's go, Mona. See you around, Jeremy, and congratulations once again."

They disappear into the thickening crowd with their noses in the air.

"Wow!" I say, still in shock.

Jeremy turns to me and his face and eyes soften. "Wow? That's the understatement of the year."

I smile at his remark and the frustration of the encounter completely alleviates. He smiles back at me and my heart elates and soars to the sky. It's been almost three months since I came back from London and I still can't believe how happy this man makes me. He blows my mind, heals my soul and fills all my broken gaps. I have never felt so complete and so invincible in my entire life.

He puts his hands around my neck and pulls me up onto my toes, leaning in to take a kiss from me. I lick my lips as he pulls away, wanting more of his honey sweetness.

"Stop that!" he whispers sternly, narrowing his eyes at me.

But my lips curve into a smile as I bat my eyes innocently and give him a lustful gaze. "Stop what?" I sing back.

He holds his breath as he peers deep into my eyes, his pupils dilating hungrily. I can read his mind like an open book and I blush shamelessly at the dirty thoughts going through it.

"You know what, Sparky?" he growls just before he selfishly takes another kiss that makes me go weak in the knees.

"Mm," I just about manage as his lips trail slowly to my ear.

"Keep this up," he nips at the sensitive skin just below my ear, "and I'll make that evil woman your mother-in-law before the year is out."

My bravado dissipates and my heart takes off at the speed of light.

What did he just say?

He runs his tongue over the same spot, gently soothing the sting that's still lingering from his soft tugs mere seconds ago, and leaves me gaping at him as he walks away with a playful wink.

I barely have time to recover when I hear a nervous set of footsteps coming up from behind me. It's Titov.

"Miss Alison," he starts nervously as soon as he reaches me. "Here is Mr. Cordina's speech. He asked me to type it for him."

"Thank you, Nick," I smile kindly at him. "And how many times do I have to tell you to call me Ally?"

Titov blushes and smiles back at me anxiously. Titov is brilliant. The job he's done with Jeremy's hotel is beyond praise and I know Jeremy bullies him around a lot, but I also know he secretly loves him like a little brother.

"I'll go give this to him."

I wander around the hallway that is now positively crowded with people coming in and glancing admirably around the place. I walk into the dining room and see him there, talking to an elderly couple who seem very sweet and agreeable. I lean against the doorway and look at him in awe. My heart glows warmly. Our eyes meet and lock over the heads of his guests.

'I love you,' they tell me.

'I'm proud of you,' mine tell him.

He excuses himself and makes his way over to me without breaking eye contact.

"I have your speech," I say handing him the neatly typed script Titov gave me.

He takes it from me and exhales heavily.

"Nervous?" I ask noticing his sweaty palms and fidgeting shoulders.

But he just narrows his eyes at me and says, "Do you even know me?"

I roll my eyes at him to show him that he can't fool me. "Yes. That's why I'm asking."

He flashes me with his heart-stopping smile as he pushes the speech into his pocket and says, "Stop rolling your eyes at me. Come on, stay where I can see you."

I beam encouragingly at him and follow him to the front of the crowd as he takes his spot in front of the library, the reading chairs dispersed behind him like musicians behind their maestro. He clears his throat loudly and slowly but surely, a lull falls over the room as everyone turns their attention to him.

"Thank you. Good evening to you all and thank you for coming here tonight. It's an honour to see so many people, even though most of you are only here to see whether I've finally gone mad. And to address your question, the answer is yes!"

A general laugh of appreciation rumbles across the room. My eyes find Jeremy's mother and his uncle. John looks like he's somewhat amused but Mrs. Cordina's eyes are narrowed at Jeremy, like she's waiting for him to mess this up.

"And the reason for this madness is none other than this beautiful lady in the front row who made me realise that it doesn't matter how much money you have if you're not doing what makes you happy. So, I did it. I digressed from the path that was set for me and went after what I wanted instead.

"As you can see behind me, The Alison's restaurant will also act as a library. A special library which offers a break to those who need it, where one can get lost in a different universe for a few hours. This haven is open to everyone. My beautiful girlfriend, Ally, will be holding book clubs every Thursday night, of which one can be a member for a small fee. One can also buy books at a discounted price or trade with another book for free. All the proceedings, along with all the profit made through the restaurant will be donated towards non-profit organisations in aid of cancer research and institutions aimed at improving the quality of life for cancer patients and their loved ones. Quarterly events will be held at The Alison to raise more funds for this good cause."

A round of applause explodes in the elegant dining room and I feel my chest swell with pride. Jeremy signals his captivated audience to stop.

"Please, I do not deserve any praise. But I will ask for your help to support us. If you have any books you would like to get off your hands or if you would like to be a club member or make a donation, Nicholas Titovsky will be at the table by the fountain pond in the courtyard to guide you on how to proceed. I thank you once again for your support but most of all, I want to give special thanks to Alison Lewis for being such a pure and beautiful soul in this power-hungry and greedy world. If it weren't for you and your grandmother, God knows where I would be today."

I blush heavily as everyone in the room turns and edges on their toes to get a good look at me. Jeremy grins at my embarrassment and I blush even deeper.

"Well, that's enough sentimental bull! Enjoy the free drinks and the delicious treats I've prepared for you."

The crowd explodes again in cheer and laughter as Jeremy raises a glass to the room. I walk up to him and put my arms around him lovingly, my eyes tearing up from the immense love I feel for this man. He is mine. He is finally mine! He holds me against him and kisses the top of my head. 

"Ally..." I tighten my arms around him and rest my head against his sternum. "Do you trust me?" he murmurs into my hair.

"Why are you asking?" I reply suspiciously.

He doesn't budge. I look up at him and see his eyes fixed somewhere behind me. I turn around and find a nervous Sosa and a bitter-looking Keith looking in our direction. "Because I kind of invited Stephanie," he says apologetically.

Oh...

I wait for the anger to strike. For the jealousy to come rushing in. For the pain and disappointment to fill my head. But it doesn't. Instead, I just watch calmly as Sosa approaches us, Keith tagging alongside her like a scolded dog.

"Hey," I say when she's standing in front of me.

"Hey," she replies shyly.

She looks beautiful, like an actress who is ready for her red carpet debut. Her curls are gracefully balanced on top of her head. Her doe eyes are elegantly made up. Her lips are full beneath her dark matte lipstick. 

"You look good," she tells me.

"Thanks."

We stare at each other for an awkward moment which seems to last longer than it should. Jeremy's hand presses gently on the small of my back as he announces that he's going to get some drinks. Sosa smiles at him politely but Keith gives him a deathly glare which thankfully, Jeremy lets slide.

"So," I start. "How's the store?"

Sosa's shoulders relax a little and so do I. I'm not used to this side of her. Reserved and timid.

"Great," she replies with a small smile. "It's hard work but it's all worth it."

I feel happy for her, sort of. I look at Keith, who is determinedly looking away from me. "How about you, Keith? How are you doing?" I ask politely.

But he just mutters, "Fine," under his breath.

Sosa smiles awkwardly at me again. "This place looks great, Ally!"

I try to shrug it off. I don't want to seem like I'm flaunting Jeremy's achievement in their faces. "Thanks. It's all Jeremy, really. I just take care of the books."

Another pause. And then, Sosa caves and pulls me into a rib-crushing hug. I stand still, fixed in her grasp for a few seconds, feeling like the whole world is focused on me, waiting with bated breath to see what I'm about to do. But soon, my arms wrap themselves around her and my face presses into her shoulder.

Our hug lasts forever until we sort out our differences without saying a word and we both accept the fact that things may never be the same between us, but we will always be sisters.

She pulls away first and says, "Feel free to drop by the store sometime, ta'."

And then she squeezes my hands meaningfully and walks off into the crowd. Keith however, stays where he is and eyes me up with a look of disgust.

"So, are you happy now that you're finally employee of the month?" he hisses at me.

"I'm happier than I've ever been in my life, thank you," I reply honestly.

He scoffs and the hatred in his eyes burns at me. "I should have known you'd go running to him. You act like you're better than me, like you're above everyone else, but you're just a scared, little girl who hides behind her sugar daddy's money."

"My sugar daddy?" My blood boils at his slighting words and the bile in my stomach rushes up to my throat. "How long have you been waiting to say that to me? You know what? I don't even care. You have no right to talk to me like this after what you did! We both made mistakes. I'm sorry for not loving you enough. But then again, you didn't exactly earn it either."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asks narrowing his eyes at me as his reddish-blond curls fall over them.

I look up into the face that I once found charming and irresistible and realise that those qualities are nowhere to be seen now. "It means that you need to let this go and make sure you don't make the same mistakes with Sosa because she's a good girl."

"Or what? You'll get your sugar daddy to come after me?"

"Hey, buddy! Your girl is waiting for you outside."

Jeremy is back. He hands me a glass of champagne and wraps a protective arm around my shoulders. Keith looks at him spitefully but he doesn't answer back. He turns around and leaves.

I turn to Jeremy and rest my head on his chest. "I hope he's treating her okay. We may have our differences but I don't want him to hurt her," I sigh.

Jeremy gently caresses my back as he says, "She's a big girl, Ally."

"I know she is, but he's so-"

"Manipulative. He's an asshole, Ally, and he's bitter that you dumped him," he interrupts lifting my face to his and fixing his blue gaze on me. "Look, I was just speaking with her. I don't think he's hurting her, but she needs to take care of herself now. And if she needs our help, she knows where to find us."

"Yes, I guess. I don't even know why I'm worrying about her. I just thought they wouldn't last."

"You're worrying about her because you still care for her and because you're you."

He's right, of course. How do you stop caring for someone who was once family? But it's complicated. Too complicated to think about tonight.

As though reading my mind, Jeremy slides his fingers into my hair. He rests his wrist at the back of my neck and with a low growl, he says, "You have plenty of time to figure this out, but for now I need you out of that dress ten minutes ago."

I smile as the familiar dragons go crazy in my stomach. "You want to ditch your own party to have sex?" I say, trying to hide how much I want his answer to be yes.

"Well, it's not just sex, Sparky. It's really good sex. And we live right upstairs. Technically, we'd still be at the party."

I take in his smirk and his piercing gaze. "You are insatiable, Jeremy James Cordina."

His face immediately goes serious and his eyes go dark. "Don't say my name like that!"

I look up at him batting my eyes boldly. "You didn't seem to mind last night."

"Christ, you're killing me, Ally! I mean it! It's you! I can't get enough of you!"

I smile and kiss him hungrily. He kisses me back and when we pull away, I see more than lust and hunger. I see trust and hope and I realise that I'm not afraid of him anymore. Not afraid of us. Because no matter what our future holds, it's all worth it just to have moments like this.

Day by day.

"I love you, Ally," he whispers simply.

"I love you, Jeremy," I whisper back.

THE END.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 910 35
I'm excited for this one! As I'm watching her being laid to rest, it occurs to me that I know less about life than I do about death. She's gone, and...
90K 7.4K 79
[Featured by wattpad romance, teen fiction, young adult and psychologicalnovel] Joy Jones was a seventeen-year-old kind and optimistic girl working...
198K 5K 35
Hailey Baxter signed a marriage contract with Xavier Anderson, billionaire of Anderson Inc, as she needed money to pay for her mother's hospital bill...
477K 17.4K 30
(Mature content) (Highest ranks listed) (Editing slowly) A simple last night out with my girls before I move to America. Drinks are flowing, hips mov...