Invisible Line in Between

By nininininaaa

[NEW CLASSIC SERIES #1] Meet the lead vocalist of New Classic, Isaiah Kalen Mallari. A #Wattys2020 Winner sto... More

Invisible Line in Between
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Invisible Line in Between (Self-Pub)
New Classic Lyrics Booklet

Chapter 31

73.1K 3.3K 1.2K
By nininininaaa

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 31
Just Like That

It was unexpected that a lot of acquaintances wanted to take pictures with me, as soon as the graduation rites ended. And of course, as I didn't want to be rude, I stayed and mingled for a while before going back to my family.

I was allowed to bring four guests, so aside from my father and Kuya Zedrick, I also invited Jerlyn and Ate Allison. Actually, I was also planning to invite Isaiah, but there was a conflict of schedule.

Yesterday, they performed in one of the biggest music festivals in the world. Sa pagkakaalam ko ay nasa flight pa lang sila pauwi sa Pilipinas ngayon. They would be arriving at dusk. However, even though they were free, I still couldn't have him here. A lot of people would surely recognize him. I didn't want to cause him any trouble.

As I was enlightened by my father's realizations the other day, I had decided to just let my feelings flow freely without inhibitions. No fear of pain and heartbreaks. Whatever happens will happen according to what He has planned for me. I'll accept it with no regrets. That's how life goes anyways. The best thing to do is to just cope up with it and move forward.

"Are you done now?" bungad sa akin ni Kuya Zedrick nang makalapit ako sa kanila. He looked so bored already.

Tumango ako at medyo naawa sa kapatid. Mabuti na lang at nandito si Ate Allison.

"Wait." Dad passed the camera to Jerlyn. "Please, take us a photo, Jerlyn."

Pagkatanggap ni Jerlyn sa camera ay mabilis na lumapit si daddy. He wrapped his arm on my shoulder to draw me closer. Napangiti naman ako kay daddy.

I didn't face the camera yet. Instead, I put my graduation cap on top of his head carefully, which caught him by surprised. I only smiled to him.

"Thank you for working hard, daddy," I sincerely expressed my gratitude.

I knew that my father pushed himself hard to work and give us a comfortable life. We might not be that well-off, but we could live a life without worrying about our expenses, and I could have any material thing that I wanted to own.

My father got teary-eyed a bit, but he just shook his head and smiled back. "I'm sure your mother is proud of you."

Jerlyn quickly snapped a photo of us and before we could leave the place, I also asked for a photo with daddy and Kuya Zedrick. Both of them stood awkwardly beside me.

My brother still wasn't in good terms with our father. I planned to tell him the truth behind daddy's alleged affairs, but daddy asked me not to. He wanted to be the one to talk to Kuya Zedrick. However, he wouldn't rush it. Hahayaan niyang maging bukas muna ulit ang loob sa kanya ni Kuya. Ayaw niyang piliting makinig si Kuya dahil baka hindi lang sila makaintindihan. He said he would wait for the right time.

"Let's go to your mom now," nakangiting pag-aya ni daddy nang matapos na kami sa pagpi-picture at matapos ibalik ang toga at graduation cap.

Instead of celebrating my graduation in fancy buffets and restaurants, I asked daddy to celebrate it with my mother. Ang simpleng salo-salo ay gaganapin sa museleo. I don't need a grand celebration. My only wish was to be with my mother on the day I graduated.

We went on separate cars to the memorial park. My brother was driving his car with Ate Allison, while Jerlyn came with us on my dad's car. Napakunot naman ang noo ko nang mapansing tuloy-tuloy lang ang aming biyahe.

"Daddy, hindi na po ba tayo titigil para bumili ng take-out?" tanong ko.

He quickly glanced at me on the backseat through the rear view mirror. He shook his head and curled his lips upwards. "No need," he replied. "I already had someone to take care of it."

Napatango-tango na lamang ako at saka sumandal sa backrest. Hindi pa rin tapos si Jerlyn sa kakapicture kaya naman kahit nasa sasakyan ay wala siyang tigil sa pagselfie kasama ako. She also expressed her jealousy that I already graduated. Since the university where I studied operates under a trimestral system, I was a year ahead of her. We didn't graduate on the same year.

Pagkadating namin sa museleo ay hindi ko inaasahan na madadatnan ko itong madaming dekorasyon at palamuti. There were balloons and a signage saying 'CONGRATULATIONS' using a bunting banner. Mayroon ding mga pagkain na maayos na nakahain. My favorite Oreo cake was at the center of it all.

I was a bit overwhelmed with the set-up. Ang gusto ko lamang ay makasama ang malalapit na tao sa buhay ko at magkaroon ng munting salo-salo. But I was touched that my father even prepared this much.

"I'm sure your mother wouldn't like it if we will just eat here with her. You know how much she likes events, parties, and decorations. And so, I hired someone to decorate the place," daddy explained to me. "I hope you like it, even though it's simple."

Parang nanikip ang aking dibdib. Talagang naisip niya pa rin si mommy sa pagp-plano.

Since I understand what he meant, I nodded my head and added, "If she was here, she would be the one to personally organize a graduation party for me."

Daddy smiled wider. "She really would."

Napalingon ako kay Kuya Zedrick na nakatingala lamang sa litrato ni mommy. I was sure that just like me and daddy, he also misses her a lot. His yearning eyes were filled with love and admiration for our mother.

Habang nakatingin sa kapatid ay hindi ko mapigilan ang mapangiti. Lumapit ako at saka kumapit sa kanyang braso.

He turned to me right away. I could see tears starting to form in his eyes, but he was smiling at me.

"Picture tayo kasama si mommy, Kuya," sabi ko sa kanya.

Still wearing a gentle smile, he nodded once. "Okay."

We didn't waste time. I grabbed my mother's smaller picture frame displayed at the mausoleum and passed it down to my father. Maingat na hinawakan 'yon ni daddy. Hawak ang aking diploma, muli akong pumuwesto sa gitna nila ni Kuya. My brother rested his arm on my shoulder and leaned his head closer to mine.

After another set of picture-taking with my mother, we finally started eating. We stayed there until dusk as we also cleaned the place. I left the flowers my brother gave me to my mother. Kuya Zedrick didn't mind though. I just saw him smiled when I placed it above her tomb.

"Congrats ulit, Zendaya." Ate Allison hugged me, since we were about to part at the memorial park's parking lot. Nang humiwalay ay may iniabot siya sa aking paper bag mula sa backseat ng sasakyan ni Kuya.

"Thanks, Ate Allison." Ngiti ko sa kanya. "Sa pagpunta at sa gift."

She flashed a pretty smile at me. "You're like my real sister. Bakit 'di ako pupunta?"

Natawa naman ako roon. Natigil lang kami sa tawanan nang lumapit si Kuya sa amin. No one was trying to steal Ate Allison from him, but he still did a territorial stance, claiming her waist. Ate Allison didn't mind Kuya Zedrick because it was already a usual move from him.

"You already gave her your gift, babe?" malambing na tanong ni Kuya kay Ate Allison.

"Yup!" she answered quickly as she turned her face to my brother.

Ngumiti si Kuya Zedrick sa akin bago ako nilingon. "I didn't buy a gift because I'm planning to fund a trip for you," sabi niya sa akin. "Sabihin mo sa akin kung saan mo gusto pumunta. I'll book you a ticket and accommodation."

Thinking about travelling alone made me feel giddy. "Let me think about it first."

Pinakawalan ni Kuya si Ate Allison para lumapit sa akin. He kissed the top of my head and whispered, "Congratulations. We'll go now."

Tumango ako at nakangiting kumaway nang makalayo siya sa akin.

"Dad."

My brother unexpected called out our father. I didn't expect that. Nilingon ko si daddy at kita ko sa kanyang reaksyon na hindi niya rin 'yon inaasahan.

"Mauuna na po kami ni Allison," simpleng paalam ni Kuya.

"U-Uh, sige. Mag-iingat kayo," halos nauutal na sabi ni daddy.

Ate Allison bid my father goodbye more properly than Kuya Zedrick. Pagkatapos ay sumakay na sila sa sasakyan ni Kuya at nauna nang umalis sa amin.

I looked at my father again, once they drove away. He had a huge smile on his face. I was happy, too, because I knew my brother was starting to warm up to him again.

Habang pauwi ay tinitingnan namin ni Jerlyn ang mga pictures sa camera. I really liked our family picture at the mausoleum. I couldn't wait to have it developed and displayed on my room.

Pagkahatid naman namin kay Jerlyn ay lumipat ako sa front seat. I scrolled on my phone and found a new article about New Classic's arrival at the country, after performing at the grand and famous music festival in California. Judging by the photos attached to the article, they all looked tired from the long flight. I zoomed in at Isaiah. He was wearing a face mask and specs to hide his weariness, but I didn't fail to notice it. My heart pitied him, hoping that he'd get enough rest tonight.

"We're here," my father announced, stopping me from being too engrossed on my phone. "Can you open the gates?"

Walang pag-aalinlangan naman akong sumunod sa utos ni daddy. Iniwan ko ang aking bag sa sasakyan at bumaba para buksan ang aming gate.

Nonchalantly, I opened the gates and was greeted by a brand new white sedan inside. It had a huge red ribbon on top of it. My expressionless face broke as my lips parted in surprise and my eyes shot open.

Bago ko pa malingon si daddy ay nakalapit na siya at saka pinatunog ang sasakyan.

"D-Dad..." I stuttered, speechless.

My father just nodded his head and placed the key fob on my hand. "This is my graduation gift."

My hand was shaking as I stared at the key fob. Slowly, I looked up to him.

"We also gave your brother his own car when he just graduated," sabi ni daddy. "Alam kong magagamit mo 'to para mas mapadali ang paghahanap mo ng trabaho o pagpasok sa trabaho."

"P-pero hindi pa po ako marunong magmaneho at wala pa akong driver's license..." Iyon na lamang ang nasabi ko.

Natawa si daddy. "Don't worry," sabi niya. "This is an automatic car. Madali lang kaya tuturuan kita. Aayusin din natin kaagad ang lisensya mo. I'll file a leave on Monday. Sinamahan ka naman ng mommy mo kumuha ng student's license last year, 'di ba?"

Doon ko lang naalala na mayroon nga akong student's license. Magtatapos na ang taon noong kumuha ako kaya hindi pa iyon paso. We could still use it to get a non-professional driver's license.

At dahil wala na talaga akong masabi, binalot ko na lang yakap si daddy. "Thank you, daddy..." halos naiiyak kong pasasalamat sa kanya. "Thank you po talaga. I'll take care of the car, I promise."

"I know you will..." he whispered, hugging me back. "You deserve this."

Even when I was already inside my room, the smile on my face did not vanish. I opened the gifts from Ate Allison and Jerlyn. Ang regalo ni Ate Allison ay isang cute na Kate Spade small backpack. She knew I love small backpacks, probably the reason why she bought this for me. Si Jerlyn naman ay charm bracelet from Pandora. It had a smile dangle charm. Her gift also came with a short message.

Congratulations, BFF!

Hanggang isang charm lang muna dahil masyadong mahal.
I'm proud of you. I love you.

Love, Jerlyn

Napangiti ako at kinuha ang aking cellphone para magpasalamat sa kanilang dalawa ni Ate Allison. Magsisimula pa lamang akong magtipa nang makatanggap ako ng mensahe mula kay Isaiah.

I had not heard from him, ever since he boarded the plane. I didn't let his message for me wait and read it right away.

From: Isaiah
Can you come to the park now, please? I have something to give you.

Despite being shocked, a spark of excitement turned into flames as I read his message. I had not removed my dress yet, since I opened the gifts from Ate Allison and Jerlyn. I stood up and quickly typed my reply to Isaiah, while simultaneously walked my wait out of the room and out of our house.

To: Isaiah
Okay. Just wait there!

From: Isaiah
No rush. I'll be waiting.

I didn't bother wearing my heels again and just wore my flip flops. I brisk walked to the park because I didn't want to make him wait. I had no clue why he decided to come here when their plane just landed an hour ago. I wanted him to take a rest, but deep inside me, I was also happy that I'd get to see him on this special day.

When I arrived at the park, I looked around and saw no one around. I tried to spot his car, but it was also out of sight. Pouting my lips, I read his message again. He said he'd be waiting. However, it seemed like he wasn't here yet.

To: Isaiah
Nandito na ako. Papunta ka pa lang ba?

I decided to send him a message. Lumapit ako sa bench para umupo at doon maghintay nang makita kong mayroong nakadikit na Post-it at mayroong nakalapag na bouquet ng red roses.

My heart beat in an unbelievable speed. I took it and read the note written.

Go to the slide's tower.

That was the only message written on the Post-it. Wala man lang nakalagay kung kanino iyon galing, pero alam kong kay Isaiah 'yon.

Though I was a little hesitant, I did what the note told me to do. Habang naglalakad ay napansin kong mayroon ding maliit na card na nakaipit sa mga bulaklak. It only said, 'Congratulations, Zendaya!' and nothing else.

Medyo maliit ang playhouse sa slide kaya nag-iingat ako sa pag-akyat. I knew it was sturdy, but I was still worried that I might break it. Hindi ganoon kataasan ang tower sa slide lalo na't baka mahulog ang mga batang naglalaro dito.

As soon as I stepped on the highest platform, I was surprised and a bit startled when fairy lights, covering the whole slide lit up. I didn't notice it while I was going up earlier. Ngayon lamang na nakabukas na ang mga ilaw.

And then, while I was still confused and stunned, I heard the familiar sound of a guitar being strummed. My heartbeat quickened to the sound of the guitar, knowing who's playing it.

Ilang sandali pa ay nagulat ako nang makitang nanggaling si Isaiah sa bahay-bahayan sa ilalim ng slide. He was walking backwards, eyes were looking at me straight, while playing his guitar. He had this gentle smile on his lips before he began to sing.

Faded jeans,
Plain tees
You're simple just like that

Hair's up,
With no make-up
You're beautiful just like that

My lips parted, when he started singing a song, which was unfamiliar to me. Thinking that it was another song he wrote for me, my heart couldn't calm down.

When you walk into my life,
I break a smile
Just like that

I hugged the bouquet tightly, never breaking eye contact with him.

You're only half 10 feet
But I can lean your shoulder
You make everything fine
When my world gets colder

Like the sun in the morning,
Like the moon in the night
You bring light into my life
Just like that

There was a brief, abrupt pause, then he licked his lips before he broke another smile and continued singing.

Lalalalalalala lalalalalalala
Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh
Ohh...

Just like that

Once he was done singing, he wore the guitar strap and put the guitar on his back. For a moment, I was stuck staring at him in awe. But then, I got a good look of his shirt. It was the same shirt from the picture I saw on the article. Mukhang hindi na siya nagpalit at agad na dumiretso rito.

Nahabag ang aking puso habang naiisip na pagod na pagod na siya.

"Wait there. I'll go up," sabi niya sa akin.

Maagap akong umiling. "Ako na!" natataranta kong sabi at nakipagpaunahan sa kanya.

Mabilis akong bumaba. I used the slide to go down faster. He looked so entertained as he watched me slid down. Saktong sa harapan niya ako bumagsak.

He bit his lower lip. For a split of second, he covered his lips with his fingers, suppressing a laughter. But then, he walked closer and offered his hand to me.

I held on the bouquet using my left hand, while I placed my right hand on his. He gripped on it tightly and carefully helped me stand up.

"Bakit ka nandito?" Kahit na masaya akong makita siya ngayon, ayon ang bungad kong tanong sa kanya dahil sa pag-aalala.

The corners of his lips curved upwards. "It's the day of your graduation," he answered like it was enough reason to push himself hard when he just came from a long and tiring flight. "Did you like the song?"

Saglit na nawala ang aking pag-aalala sa kanya. I snapped back and remembered the song he was singing earlier on. My cheeks heated right away.

"I planned to buy you a gift back in California, but I couldn't think of anything until it was time for our flight..." he explained. "Then, I just thought of writing a song for you."

May inabot siya sa aking papel. It looked like a draft. There were a lot of erasures, but it contained the lyrics of the song he sang earlier. Nakasulat rin ang chords nito sa gitara.

"I had a hard time writing the lyrics, so I didn't get to finish it," he told me. "I only got to finish the first verse and the chorus. I hope you like it, though."

The title of the song was written below the paper in capital letters with underline. It was entitled 'Just Like That.'

As I read the lyrics in fast-paced, I bit my lower lip. The lyrics contained a lot of appreciative words. And at the end of the chorus, he wrote that I brought light into his life.

Looking up to him, I smiled. He looked so hopeful because I had not laid out my thoughts about the song yet.

Honestly, I didn't know how to describe it. The word masterpiece is an understatement. Though there's one thing I can say for sure―I finally found my new favorite song. It easily dethroned Smile. That's how much I love it.

"Thank you..." I said, after more than a minute of silence. "I really love it."

He smiled back, and it beamed brighter than those fairy lights.

I'm really glad that I gave my feelings a chance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8M 188K 62
[𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐒 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒] Tulad ng sinasabi ng nakararami, panatilihin ang mga mata sa kung ano ang nangyayari ngayon at...
475K 16.7K 31
With his notorious playboy reputation, Bluie knew Miguel Chavez was made to break hearts. She just didn't know hers would be one of them. *** Bluie H...
2M 24.7K 48
Soon to be Published Solana's mother works as a maid for Yleo's family, but in an unexpected event her mother passes away. Before it disappeared fro...
7.8M 230K 55
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...