Time Will Tell [Complete]

Oleh Adios39

In 1842, a 17-year-old runaway flees to Ireland to escape her power-hungry brother and is thrust into a catas... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty

Chapter Three

29 6 24
Oleh Adios39

  "I have several shillings, and I'm going shopping."

Lizzy picked up her brown wool hood and turned away from Amanda. "And you need to rest."

"You want to go alone, you mean. Because I can't think of a reason I would need to rest."

Lizzy shrugged. "You look tired! But if that's what you need to think so I can leave you here, then yes, I want to go alone."

Amanda laughed. "Are you going with Liam?"

"Not a chance!"

"George?"

Lizzy laughed. "No way, Mandy."

"You're going back to that bookstore, aren't you?"

"What bookstore?"

Amanda raised an eyebrow and walked over to where Lizzy was standing. "Elizabeth, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The bookstore where George definitely does not work. With the guy who called you Andrea."

Lizzy laughed. "Yeah, and then – wait, who did he say I reminded him of? His sister's husband's daughter's – something, something... oh, what was it?"

"His sister's husband's daughter's aunt."

"Yes, that's just it! What a ridiculous thing to say! I have never talked to a stranger as awkward as he was."

Amanda muttered, "Stranger, huh?"

"Yes – but of course you don't think I knew him?" Lizzy looked at her in disbelief.

"Well, I saw the way..."

"You think I would lie to you?"

"I didn't say that, but..."

Lizzy narrowed her eyes, but the expression in them was unreadable. She seemed to scrutinize Amanda for a few seconds, then abruptly turned and strutting out of the room. Amanda flinched as the door slammed shut.

"That wasn't very discreet," she said to the wall. "Not discreet at all."

Needless to say, the wall didn't answer.

"What was that noise?" called Amanda's employer from the downstairs parlor. "Who left? I daresay, young people these days, always yelling and banging. Eliza! Amanda! – oh, my head – come down here! I need something for my head! – ohhh – where is my tea? It is fifteen minutes late!"

Eliza stepped outside and started running.

Amanda stood and slowly went about her duties, but hard look settled around her eyes. She sorely envied Lizzy for being able to leave.

* * *

Elizabeth tore down the road, sweat trickling down her face – or was that tears? She couldn't tell. Her best friend had lost faith in her, she had a terrible boss who seemed to be onto her scheme, and she had just met a man in a bookstore she had hoped to leave in her past forever.

"And I had to kiss his cheek to make sure he thought I still wasn't dangerous," she breathed. If she had been sure bugs wouldn't fly into her mouth, Lizzy would have stuck out her tongue in disgust. He was handsome, to be sure, but also a little bit on the foolish side. And he worked for the bad guys.

In the distance, thunder rumbled. A light drizzle started. Elizabeth pulled her hood over her head and began to walk, not watching where. After a few minutes, the floodgates opened, and it began to pour. Elizabeth paused, debating whether or not to find shelter or risk pneumonia when someone grabbed her arm and pulled her into an alleyway.

"You'll catch your death in this weather," said a voice.

Elizabeth pulled her sopping hood from around her face and shivered. "I was going to get shelter, you know."

"And I was going to let you pass by, but when you just stopped in the middle of the street, I couldn't help but pull you in. I am a gentleman, you know, and gentlemen do ladies gentle favors. Like, grabbing their arms and yanking them out of the rain."

Elizabeth laughed. "Oh yes, that's quite a gentle favour. I was just debating whether or not to risk catching my death of cold or duck into some shop. Hey, what's your name... oh,"

She had glanced up at his face, and her expression was one of shock and bewilderment. "Oh, wait, no – I know you."

He grinned. "I thought you had already figured that, and I was pleased you could just fall right back into easy conversation with me."

"No, we – I-I have to go." Elizabeth stepped back into the rain and began to walk briskly down the street.

He caught up hauled her to a stop. "All right, hold on. Let me just say something here – please."

She cocked her head and glared up at him, arms folded across her chest. "Five minutes."

He sighed in relief and, after several moments of collecting his thoughts, began to speak. "First of all, I'm sorry. Second, I didn't side with anyone. There's a reason they called me Switzerland – I was neutral, so..."

"Four minutes left." She interrupted.

"I wish there were some way to make it up to you. The boys back home –"

"On enemy territory. You broke my trust!"

"And it's hurt me all these years. Lizzy –"

"Don't call me that." She said, voice strong despite the moisture that had gathered in her eyes.

"All right, Elizabeth, enough – I am sorry. I have woken up every day for the past three years feeling devastated that I left you there, alone, on the battlefield. That image of you is all I see when I go to bed at night, and I remember –"

"Three more minutes. Talk fast."

"I am your friend. Or I was. Before. And I still – well, you're like the younger sister I never had."

"Right. And you told me that... when? Once. Right before you turned your back. And you said 'but'. But I have to leave. But I can't take you with me. But I'm going to leave you, to starve, with these... these... these heartless people – if you could even call them that – who don't even care if I live or die except that I was basically their slave. But, but, but – oh, my goodness, Alexander, if you even knew."

"I'm sorry." He murmured. "So, so sorry."

Lizzy glowered at him, then exhaled, exasperated. "Why is it so hard to stay mad at you! My goodness, all this anger – it's – well, it's gone! I can't even understand – what is it with your face? Your voice?"

"I – have a calming personality?" he squeaked out, astonished at the sudden change in her countenance.

She rolled her eyes, changing the subject so abruptly she surprised even herself. "All right, you need to know something. Someone from my past showed up – someone I didn't ever want to meet again, and I just – I don't know what to do about it. He's terrible."

"What's his name?"

Elizabeth sighed. "He's called Lanky Thomas, but no-one knows his real name. And that pseudonym does not suit him at all. I mean, when you think about it, the term 'lanky' makes you think long arms, long legs, all wildly unproportionate to the torso – gangly, right?"

Alexander nodded. "Isn't that what it means? Lanky and gangly are synonyms, correct?"

"Yes. It makes you think awkward, young, naïve – maybe even innocent. But Lanky Thomas is broadly built, strongest person I've ever met – besides that German midwife with the four Jersey cows and the herd of sheep. And he's a charmer! I fell for him once – then I discovered he worked for exactly what I was fighting against – or, who."

"Does he know you know who he works for?"

"No, I was perfectly discreet and marvelously innocent-sounding, if I do say so myself. He knows nothing about me, and I think that's why he used to love me back, and... maybe still does?"

Lizzy's voice broke a little over the last word, but she quickly cleared her throat and kept talking. "He was shocked when I showed up at the bookshop he worked at two days ago. Amanda knows something about us, too – she's a great judge of people. Reactions, faces, character – everything."

"Amanda?"

"A girl, near my age, who worked with me as a maid at Lady Daphne's. My friend."

"Ah." Alexander nodded. "Keep talking."

"You should find a place to sleep first. It's getting dark."

"What about you?"

"I can go back to where I work; it's not uncommon for me to just leave for hours and come back just in time for supper."

"Why?"

Elizabeth stared. "Why what?"

"Why do you leave? There must be a reason," he said placidly.

"Well – I have this project, see... oh, you can stay at my friend's house! She's got room; it's a little run-down, but the roof doesn't leak, well, usually... I think she could house one thirty-five-year-old man for a night."

"Perfect. What's her name?"

"Marjorie. She's a little younger than you – oh, and don't ask her last name; she's rather sensitive on that point, seeing as she doesn't have one – or so she says." Lizzy grinned.

"Right."

* * *

"Lizzy! What a pleasant surprise. And you brought a friend! How marvelous."

Alexander smiled as he stepped into the small house. It was just beginning to collapse, but still mostly upright, and Marjorie had obviously worked to make it homey.

"Hello, Marge, my dear. This here's Alexander, and he needs a place to stay for the night. Now, I know you will take good care of him – as he's a good friend of mine, and you'll be pleased to know that this was the first place I thought of."

"Hi, Alex. Do you mind if I call you that? I'm a great fan of nicknames. Call me Marge if you want, or Marjorie, or just 'Miss Margie'."

"I think I'll call you Marjorie, which is a rather pretty name, in my opinion." Alexander smiled at her, and Lizzy grinned. "I'll pay you tomorrow, Marjorie, and I promise to be back as soon as I can get away." She said.

"Take your time, dear, take your time," she replied absently, beaming at Alexander.

Elizabeth ducked out, back into the rain, a warm feeling filling her stomach. "See you tomorrow," she murmured, then started running so she could be back in time for supper.

* * *

When Lizzy arrived back at Madam Daphne's, Liam Worthington was standing outside the side door of the manor. Lizzy smiled at him and was about to step inside when he grabbed her arm.

"Lizzy, we need to talk."

"Everybody seems to think that." she muttered. "And everybody keeps grabbing my arm. Can I have that back? Free will over my arm, I mean."

Liam let go. "Sorry. But you did say we could talk tonight, and it's important."

"Could I just eat something first? Please?"

"It's – it's important, so – please."

Lizzy glanced in the window. She could clearly see the table in the kitchen; Amanda and George were already sitting at it, along with the other maid and the servants, and they were just digging their spoons into bowls of steaming soup. George burned his tongue and almost spat soup all over the table; they laughed. A fire was crackling in the stove, inside which the next course was keeping warm. Madam Daphne might not have been kind or pleasant to any extent, but she fed her servants better than almost any other Lady in the area.

She sighed. "I'm really hungry."

"I know. I can hear your stomach rumbling."

"I'm also cold."

"It was raining; and I heard you rushed out in a big huff right before it started. You've been gone four hours."

"I have? That explains my hunger. I skipped lunch this afternoon, thinking I would get a chance to buy something on my way, but..." Lizzy paused, then shrugged. "If I know Amanda, she'll save something for me. All right, let's talk – but wait, what's the topic? How's your brother, didn't you say he was ill? I didn't know you had a brother."

"Really? That's odd, I could've sworn I told you that." Liam paused, thinking. "Well, I'll tell you everything, but... maybe somewhere a little more private?"

She bit her lip. "Oh – fine. Let's go, lead the way – whatever you're supposed to say."

Liam took her by the hand and led her across the cobblestoned road.

"So?" Lizzy asked, turning around slowly to face him in the alley. "What did you want to talk about?"

Suddenly, something cool and shiny was pressed against her throat. "An object I think – no, I know – you have in your possession," Liam hissed in her ear.

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, you know perfectly well what I'm talking about, missy."

"First of all, you're spitting in my ear when you talk, which is disgusting; second, if this is a knife, the blade is not very sharp. And no, I haven't a clue what you're looking for."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm – oh. Oh, no, wait. I do know what you're talking about. I just – don't know where it is." Lizzy could barely swallow the saliva that was gathering in her mouth as the knife was pressed firmer against her throat. "Liam, I always expected to be wrapped in your embrace, but not like this." She joked breathlessly.

"I will ask you this one. More. Time." He lowered his voice even more. "Where did you put it?"

"That is none of your business." She gagged. "You always think I have it. Do you think I'd carry it with me?"

A silhouette formed in the opening of the alleyway. "Andrea?"

"Who's that?" Liam muttered to her. "Tell him to go away."

"Oh, all right. But he won't be able to hear me with this knife at my throat. Lower it – oh, come on, I can't run away. Fine, if it makes you feel better, keep your arm around me but lower the dagger. I'll tell him."

"Don't think for a second about trying to run away," he whispered harshly, lowering the knife.

"Wouldn't dream of it." She murmured, swallowing.

"Andrea, is that you?" the voice came again.

"Oh, yes, it's me, but I'm perfectly fine. This is a daily thing; random men threatening me with knives and daggers. You know how it is." Her voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, and also, who're you?"

"I'm Finn – you remember me, right?"

"Oh, yes, I do. Are you still wearing that suit?"

"Well, I do change occasionally." He answered. "So, you don't need my help?"

"Well, I think I do, but Liam here doesn't want me asking for it, so – you know. I won't."

The dagger was back at her throat and Liam was speaking. "This is a shame, Liz; I was really starting to like you, but now it seems I'll have to leave you here. Dead."

Then Liam staggered backwards. "Curse you!" he exclaimed. Finn was holding him about the neck and his legs were around his waist.

Lizzy rolled out of the way of Liam's flailing knife, but it caught her hip and sliced partway down her thigh. She cried out in pain, the sound echoing in the alley.

Finn wrestled Liam to the ground and gave him one solid knock to the head, rendering him unconscious.

"He's out; won't be back for a few hours – three, at most. What does he have against you, Andrea?" Finn swung his leg over Liam's motionless body and stood up.

"He probably works for my brother. I just wish I could have seen that coming... how could I have been so blind?"

"What does your brother have against you?"

"Oh, well, that – is complicated. Family issues. They go way back."

"What did he want?"

"He wanted – gaah!"

Elizabeth's leg crumpled underneath her. She fell, clutching it tightly, then ripped a length of cloth from her dress, wrapping it around her leg.

"You need a doctor; that's a lot of blood."

"Yes, and I liked this dress." She stood, grabbing Finn by the arm to steady herself as a wave of nausea and dizziness washed over her. "I'll be fine, I heal quickly. The dress, though – not so much. But no matter. Hey, what were you doing around here?"

"I'm an orphan – er, street urchin, as others like to call me. I like to walk around on evenings, and I hadn't been in this part of Birmingham for a while. So, here I am!"

Lizzy nodded, not completely convinced. "All right, I need food, then to pack, and – oh, get to Marjorie's before Liam thinks of it! Finn, come with me. Ever met a real, live, demanding, rich Lady?"

"No."

"Well, you are in for a surprise! My Madam is – oh, you are in for a real treat. Ha!" Lizzy grinned. "Let's go."

* * *

Amanda grimaced as she unwrapped Lizzy's make-do bandage. "Goodness, he really got you, huh?" she said, throwing the bloody cloth in a corner.

"Nothing I couldn't handle." Lizzy moaned as Amanda pulled her dress over her head.

"Oh, my," Amanda gasped. "Lizzy, look at this!"

"I don't think I want to."

"Nuh-uh, you need to see it."

"Is it gross?"

"Oh, it's disgusting."

"Bloody?"

"Yes, but not in the way you'd expect."

"Is the cut deep?"

"I think it was, but Lizzy, just stop asking questions and look."

Elizabeth slowly glanced down. Amanda held her stained under-skirt to the side, and Lizzy's forehead creased at what she saw.

"It's – already scabbed over," she muttered, poking it hesitantly. Then she grimaced. "I mean, it still hurts a bit," she added. "But still, that's amazing."

"You always were a fast healer," Amanda murmured. "but even so, I want to bandage it up, just to be safe. Infection would not be fun. Especially if you're leaving."

"I need a wet cloth,"

"Damp, you mean?" Amanda handed the bunched-up part of Lizzy's under-skirt to her and crossed the room to the basin. She squeezed out a cloth, giving it to her then perching on her bed.

Lizzy gently dabbed around the scab, wetting the dried blood then wiping it off with gentle strokes.

"It's definitely going to make a nice scar," Amanda ventured.

Lizzy finished cleaning around the gash, then offered the cloth to Amanda.

"I don't want it," she put her hands out in front of her and wrinkled her nose. She tore a length of material from her underdress and wrapped it around the wound. "I'm not very good at first aid," Amanda said apologetically.

Lizzy shrugged and threw the dirty cloth she had used to clean her wound in the direction of her equally soiled dress, then limped to her wardrobe and pulled out a few outfits.

"What are you doing?"

"I need to go. And you need to stay here and not give me away."

"Excuse me?"

"Which is why I'm not telling you where I'm going."

"All right, this is ridiculous." Amanda stood and crossed her arms.

"Amanda, war will break out everywhere if I don't leave now. I have a very valuable item and I need to get it far away from here. As far as I can."

"So, London? Next town over?" she replied dryly.

"Um, preferably out of the United Kingdom, Europe – maybe I'll go to Canada." Lizzy pulled a bag from under her bed, already containing some essentials for the journey and the 'item' she was hiding, as well as her hood and dagger. She stuffed her clothes in.

Amanda placed a gentle hand on her arm. "Liz, I won't – stop you – from going." She swallowed hard, forcing the words out. "You've been my friend forever. If this'll keep you safe – I'll let you, no matter what happens to me in the process. But take this advice: don't go to Canada. Go where they would least expect you to go. If that means getting close to where the danger lies, do it. Hide that item in plain sight. Because if you get caught running, wherever you are, that will make the capture oh-so-much more painful. I know. Do you want my opinion? Settle down somewhere. Go find a nice place in the country. They are protective and kind, and no matter what you do, they will forgive if you're really sorry. I learned so much from them – they will keep you safe."

Amanda took a deep breath, momentarily breaking eye contact with Lizzy. Then she looked back, and her eyes had the glint of tears in them. "Another piece of advice – don't wait too long to go rescue Finn. I know you left him with Madam, and she is in a talkative mood. Also a little mad at life. She was saying when I left the room that she wanted to hire Finn just so she could fire him. So, you need to go, and I'm sorry. I'll say goodbye to Liam for you, if you like?" she managed a weak smile.

Lizzy laughed, but it was hard and bitter. "That's all right, I think we already did that earlier – goodness, I am starving! Any chance I can grab a sandwich on the way out? Who invented sandwiches, anyway?"

"I think it was some guy named the Earl of Sandwich, or a duke, or something. His cook helped invent them, too, but no-one knows his name."

"Goodbye, Mandy." Lizzy walked to the door.

"Wait, one question."

"What?" she turned again.

"What were you really working on when you left? What project was it?"

She hesitated, then sighed. "It was something very precious to me, something I lost forever on a battlefield many years ago."

"Yes, but what?"

"Peace."

Amanda nodded, surprised, caught unawares by her answer. "I understand." She murmured. "'Bye, Lizzy."

Elizabeth smiled a little and stepped out the door, then trotted quietly down the stairs.

She pulled Finn out of the parlor – where Daphne was asleep, as she was prone to dropping off at inopportune times – and rushed towards the door.

"I'm going on an adventure and you are coming with me..." Lizzy glanced at him. "If you would like?"

Finn shrugged, his freckled face serene. "As long as it's dangerous and requires much brainpower?"

"I'm guessing it will be. Both."

"I'm in!"

They walked through the kitchen. Lizzy grabbed something to eat, and they were about to step out the door when Amanda called Lizzy's name.

She turned just in time to receive her friend's enthusiastic embrace.

"You're wonderful," she sobbed, tears rolling down her face.

Elizabeth's own eyes watered, but she blinked the moisture back and hugged her friend.

Amanda stepped back and wiped her eyes. "I'll be seeing you," she murmured.

"Cheerio!" Lizzy exclaimed as cheerfully as she could. "Goodbye."

Finn opened the door for Elizabeth and they exited, leaving Amanda standing alone in the kitchen. The fire still crackled in the hearth, but the house was otherwise silent.

"I'm sorry," she whispered hoarsely to the night.

A few minutes later, George found her and pulled her into his arms.

They stood that way as long as they could, neither saying a word, tears falling freely.

* * *

Lizzy stepped into Marjorie's house with Finn right behind her. The rooms were dark, but for a candle flickering in the kitchen. Marjorie was sitting at the table with Alexander, holding a steaming cup of tea in her hands. Alexander laughed, replied to something Marjorie had said, and they both chuckled.

"Marjorie!" Lizzy exclaimed. "I need your help."

Both adults looked up as she hopped into the kitchen unsteadily, and their faces immediately filled with concern. Marjorie stood as Lizzy walked into the kitchen with a noticeable hobble, although she had tried to hide it. Marjorie gave her a soft glance. "Hey, honey," she said. Then she noticed her leg. "Where on earth did you get that limp? I'm sure it wasn't there earlier." She exclaimed, a scandalized expression on her face. Lizzy waved her question off.

"A knife – but that's not what matters. I need Alexander – sorry about this, Marge, but I've been found and I think he can help us."

"Help you how?" Marjorie asked, confused. Lizzy sighed.

"Escape." She told them. "I need to escape."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

68 4 48
Katie never imagined something like this could happen to her. She always thought she would live peacefully with her millionaire Dad and twin brother...
63.7K 2.9K 16
***Book three! Please read "Spies in Saddles" and "Spies in Stilettos" first! :) By this point, Nat thinks she's used to the whole spy thing. So her...
332K 14.2K 30
|Book 1 of The Betrayal Trilogy - Now Discontinued| [READ AT YOUR OWN RISK-STORY WROTE AT AGE OF 13] *** "N--No! Leave her alone! Please, leave her a...
10.7M 74.9K 22
(Sample. Watch out for the official book release on January 31, 2015!) The women in Brianne Montgomery's family have a curse. And she isn't going t...