Heart of Gold

By LovelyWriter123

Jason McTern left the small town of Vensword to escape his sorrows. When he returns to check on his diner and... More

Chapter 1 Back in Town
Chapter 2 Behind Closed Doors
Chapter 3 Taking Charge
Chapter 4 Flirt
Chapter 5 Buzz of the Town
Chapter 6 Caught
Chapter 7 Your Kind
Chapter 8 Past
Chapter 9 Different Man
Chapter 10 History Repeats
Chapter 11 New Feelings
Chapter 12 Surprise
Chapter 13 Lies Are Easier To Believe
Chapter 14 Enough is Enough
Chapter 15 Truth is Out
Chapter 16. Freedom is Bittersweet
Chapter 17 Hard Desicion
Chapter 18 Actions Are Louder than Words
Chapter 19 A New Begnning
Chapter 20 Day One
Chapter 21 A Picture Says A Thousand Words
Chapter 22 Heart of Gold
Chapter 23 Quitting Already
Chapter 24 Late Night Confessions
Chapter 25 New to these Feelings
Chapter 26 It's a Date
Chapter 27 Haunting Past
Chapter 28 Back to Work
Chapter 29 Urges
Chapter 30 Girls Love to Shop
Chapter 31 Green Eyed Monster
Chapter 32 Giving In
Chapter 33 The Morning After
Chapter 34 Ticket Out
Chapter 36 Not Over Yet
Chapter 37 He's Not Going Anywhere
Chapter 38 It's Love
Chapter 39 Bitter Love
Chapter 40 He's Back
Chapter 41 Nightmare Come True
Chapter 42 A Sacrifice
Chapter 43 Close Call
Chapter 44 After It All
Epilogue

Chapter 35 We Break Up, We Make Up

28.8K 998 37
By LovelyWriter123

Chapter 35

We Break Up, We Make Up

Gracie's POV

I'm going to go insane, yes by sunrise I'm going to completely lose my mind.

Pacing the living room floor with my hands laced together as I twisted them nervously. The sound of my heart thudded in my ears as it has been since that phone call from the hospital fours hours ago. I awoke to see Liam, Jackie and Tom standing above me with Lucielle and Jack at my side ready to leave.

"Gracie sit down." Jackie demanded

"I can't because if I sit I'll go insane thinking about what's happening." I replied

"And putting a hole in the middle of the room is helping?" she said

I ran my hands through my hair resisting the urge to yank it out. Lucielle called an hour ago to tell us know Jason was being checked out by the doctor. But that was sixty minutes ago, anything could have happened during that time.

"Should we call them?" I asked for the tenth time

"No."

Closing my eyes I felt the heavy emotion in my chest settle as the vivid image of Jason laying in a hospital bed invaded my thoughts. Still, unmoving, bruised-I gulped the large lump in my throat that made breathing evenly difficult. Reopening my eyes I whipped around.

"Jackie what if-" I stopped unable to finish

"Don't say it." she warned pointing her index finger at me

Her light caramel eyes were as hard as the sweet candy its self with anger at my constant nagging. Behind the dark anger I could see the worry and fear she was concealing with the thick mask she has held in place since I woke up.

That's what I should be-strong for Jason right now when he needs it the most.

"Your right I need to get a grip." I said and sat on the white leather armchair

A small smile tugged onto her face, with her right hand she stroked Sarah's cheek. Sarah has refused to go to sleep until Jason comes home -I told her he was held up with some work on his other restaurants but still she insisted on waiting up. I couldn't help the pride swelling in my chest, even with such a young mind and lack of understanding of the situation Sarah seemed to just have a feeling something was wrong.

"You want me to bring her up?" Jackie asked already slipping her arms under Sarah

"No she'll wake up, just let her sleep." I whispered

Glancing at the silver rimmed clock hanging on the wall I watched the seconds tick by. If only I went with Jack and Lucielle, all I can think about is if Jason's okay.

When the hospital called the diner it was an hour and a half after they found Jason's truck wrecked at the side of the road. From what Jackie told me Jason was unconscious but when he awoke he was able to tell the doctors who he is and unfortunately another piece of information.

One I rather Jason never mentioned.

"Why didn't he want me to go to the hospital?" I whispered not daring to raise my voice of fear that I'd breakdown

Yes after identifying himself Jason demanded that I'm not to go to the hospital. He even asked for someone to stay with me to make sure I would go against his request.

Could he still be mad about our fight even after his accident he'd still hold a grudge? I don't blame him for being angry but even after what he went through he'd make such a heartless request?

Jackie told me how pissed he was as he left for a drive, judging by the mess he left in the office he was beyond mad. He chose to leave but I can't help but feel a bit of guilty for what has happened to him.

He left because of me. Could my overreaction effected his driving?

"I don't know but I'm sure he has a good reason."

"Do you think he's still mad at me?"

"If he is he's an idiot because he was the one bolting for the door."

Unable to handle the newfound news about Jason I had to spill my guts to someone and Jackie was the person to tell. I just couldn't handle it especially since I'm now regretting my words, I never wanted to walk away from him, I was taken by surprise when I found the ticket. All these different emotions flooded my head-outrage, disappointment, hurt, shocked and used.

What a coincidence that Jason is leaving the day after we had sex. How did he think I'd feel? Esthetic?

"Maybe it's time for Sarah and I to move out." I thought out loud without realizing it

"Why?" Jackie asked careful not to higher her voice

Shrugging in response I clutched the gold necklace that was nestled between my breasts. In an attempt to calm myself down I stroked the smooth surface with my thumb.

"We've over stayed our welcome obviously."

That was an understatement. The man practically forbid me from checking if he was alive. If that didn't say leave me alone nothing will.

"Your reading too much into it. Wait till Jason comes home and ask him what's going on between you guys, figure out what page your on as a couple." she advised sounding strangle mature

It she said that yesterday I would have happily complied without a doubt in my head, but now, after what has happened I don't want to do it. I'm terrified for his answer or rejection.

"Oh my god Gracie where did you get that?" Jackie gasped

Confused at what she meant I shook my head indicating I wasn't following her train of thought.

"The necklace." she said realizing I was lost

Glancing down at the gold in my hand I smiled "Jason gave it to me, he said it didn't cost him a penny but I know he's lying just look at it." I said and held out the heart allowing it to dangle from my hand

The solid gold heart shimmered as the bright chandelier fluorescent light caused the necklace to glimmer it's worth.

"Oh honey it did cost him nothing but it meant everything." she said as her eyes twinkled with happiness

"Jackie this isn't your common ten dollar jewelry." I argued pursuing my lips

"No seriously." she shook her head as her grin stretched out to her ears

Extending her arm out she pointed her fingers towards Jason's office. My brows bended in confusion at the dark hallway. If Jason was home it would be lit, if he were home I'd wrap my arms around him, kiss him till we both couldn't breath and tell him how sorry I am.

Pushing the sob down I stood up and strolled over to the office. Peaking over my shoulder at Jackie I noticed her grin widen if possible, she motioned with her head. Turning to where she motioned I caught a glimpsed of the silver corner of Jason's family portrait.

"I'm not following you."

She sucked her teeth annoyed "Look at the picture."

Flipping the switch on the hallway it was soon lite by the long white florescent light outlining the silver framing holding the precious picture of the trio. I tilted my head to the side examining the photo unsure of what I was looking for.

"They look happy." I said

"No Gracie look at his mom."

Still unsure of what I was suppose to be looking at I turned back to the portrait. My gaze trailed over her dark hair down to her shimmering crystal blue eyes, and her perfectly pink lips. I shook my head still unsure what exactly was suppose to be the exciting thing that has Jackie beaming.

I opened my mouth ready to tell Jackie just that when a shiny object on her neck caught my eye.

"The necklace." I gasped

Around her pale neck was a thin gold chain that dipped to the solid gold heart. Unconsciously I lifted my hand up to clutch the heart around my neck and feeling my rapid heartbeat against my fingers. Leaning in to see clearly I spotted the small engraving.

"Nothing is as valuable as your heart of gold." I read out loud

"Oh that's so cute." Jackie cooed sweetly

Backing away slowly I couldn't believe it. This necklace around my neck, that he gave me was his mother's?! His mother who he loved, the one that died. Returning my gaze back to Jackie I shook my head unable to form any words to explain what I was thinking.

When he gave me the necklace I just thought he bought it from any old store, I hadn't realized the value behind it, the worth. The woman had it on her neck maybe even the night she died and now I own it. How could I never have noticed it before?

I mean the portrait has been here all along and Jason. Jason gave it to me. He gave it to me!

"Oh my God." I chuckled nervously "I'm wearing a dead woman's jewelry."

"Yeah but don't you see, it's his mom's. Jason wouldn't give that to any old skank."

"Thanks." I replied dryly

"Not that your a skank." she rolled her eyes "Listen the point is he wouldn't have given you such an important gift if you didn't mean anything to him."

She's right. Staring down at the heart I reread the engraving. I must have some part in his heart if he gave me his mother's necklace and it was when we barely knew each other, we just began leaving together. But what about the ticket?

Chewing my bottom lip I pondered what excuses he may have. Maybe it's a good excuse, I didn't really give him a chance to explain himself. All I thought about was he's leaving, he has a flight out tonight and he's leaving. I let my fear of losing him overtake me and now look where we ended up.

"I need to see him." I whispered just as the phone rang

Before Jackie could react I ran to the kitchen and grabbed the phone with a triumphant laugh.

"Hello." I answered anxious to hear how Jason is doing

Instead of hearing Lucielle or Jack's voice there was a deep intake of breath almost like a gasp "Your voice sounds so sweet after this long."

At the sound of the voice I nearly dropped the phone to the ground realizing who it was. The sound of my blood pulsing through my veins rang in my ears as my heart sped up. Swallowing I opened my mouth to speak but found it difficult since my throat was cotton dry despite me swallowing.

From the other line a familiar hackle of laughter erupted causing my skin to break out into goosebumps and the hairs on my arms to stand on end with fear.

"Oh baby I've missed you, laying next to me in bed. The mornings after and I miss the sexy ass body of yours."

"Don't e-ever call here again." I said ready to hang up when he said

"I just wanted to see if your little boyfriend was safe, that was a nasty crash he had."

The amusement in his voice was nothing short of pure satisfaction which sickened me to know he enjoyed this. What else should I expect he's a cruel heartless man but wait?!

"How do you know about Jason?" I asked managing to find a clear solid voice

"Let's just say I had a front row seat." he chuckled darkly

My chest tightened painfully at the possibility that Ben could be behind this but how? What could Ben have done to cause this accident and will he try this again?

Suddenly I found it hard to breath, it was as if someone had a tight unbreakable grip around my lungs making it difficult to breath. Gripping my chest I leaned against the wall forcing out a shallow breath.

"I meant what I said Gracie, I will get you back even if that means going through him." he said darkly

Ben did have a hand in this. Why didn't I think of it earlier?

"Stay away from him you sick bastard." I hissed into the receiver

The fear that merely seconds ago made it a challenge to stay on my feet was overtaken by the blinding anger I felt towards my stepfather. Clutching my trembling hands into a fist I resisted the urge to yell at him but that would just startle Jackie and wake Sarah but all I wanted was to tell him to drop dead.

The sick pervert deserves it and than some.

"Baby I miss you, come back to me and I'll forgive you."

Resisting a laugh that bubbled in my throat I shook my head as a cruel smile twitched onto my face. Is he serious? He'll forgive me for getting away from him? Ben must be losing it if in his head that sentence made sense but than again I've always thought he's crazy.

"Not even in your dreams." I spat

"You sure you want to play hard with me Gracie because I won't go easy on you and in the end I'll have you at my side no matter who gets in my way."

By who he means Jason. Anger bubbled inside of me threatening to explode to the surface, Ben hurt Jason today. I'm not sure how but I am positive he had a part in the so called 'accident'.

"If you touch him I will-not hesitate to kill you." I hissed unfamiliar with such violent words but I meant every word

"Oh kitty has claws, well kitty I can't wait until we meet face to face. By the way you look ravishing in the silk pink gown your wearing, it shows off your long legs and flatters your curves."

Looking down at my knee high gown I felt as if I was nude as he described what I was wearing. He can see me! Rushing to the window I searched the yard for any figure but saw nothing in the semi-lit area. Just because I can't see him doesn't mean he isn't here.

Digging through the drawer next to the counter I grabbed a knife ready to defend my family.

"Relax baby I'm not coming for you yet. I want to have some fun before I break rich boy's heart." he sneered

The way he said 'fun' had my skin crawling in disgust as I wondered what he has planned in that twisted head of his.

"I love baby and can't wait to show you just how much I do." he said in a husky voice

"Burn in hell." I hissed and slammed the phone shut

Returning the knife in place I spared one more glance outside examining the area before deciding there was no one there and shutting the curtains from any wandering eyes.

Wrapping my arms around my mid section in attempt to stop the nauseating turn. He saw me, Ben saw me. My heart was still pounding furiously in my chest as I pictured him hiding outside of the house ready to pounce at any moment. What if he's lying and decides to come for Sarah and me when I don't expect it? What will he do to Jackie?

What have I gotten the McTern's into? This isn't their fight, it's my stupid mistake. The first time Ben touched me I should have told someone, anyone would have done something. This was all my fault and now Jason is in the hospital perhaps fighting for his life.

Unable to hold back the tears from today's events I decided to stop holding them back. Dropping my face into my hands I sobbed feeling absolutely useless as the problems grew. The hot tears slid down my cheeks and over my lips, the saltiness reminded me of the pain I'm causing this family.

Maybe it's best if I leave, alone.

"Gracie they're here!" Jackie shouted

I snapped my head up now hearing the sound of tires rolling over the pavement, the headlights streamed over the kitchen.

"Wake up honey daddy's here." Jackie shouted

"Daddy!" Sarah's excited shriek rang through the house

My hands trembled as I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand. Jason is okay, he's home but I can't believe that until I see him. Waving my hands into my eyes to rid some of the redness from my eyes I felt the corners of my mouth twitch into a smile. I can't let them know anything is wrong, not until I talk to Jason.

Satisfied I inhaled deeply and approached the door, pushing it up I peeked in. When I heard the sound of multiple car doors closing I slipped in a few feet behind Sarah who was eagerly hopping awaiting for Jason to enter.

When the door opened Lucielle poked her head in a smile on her slightly wrinkled face, Jack on the other hand pushed pass her and waved his hand in her direction as he rolled his eyes.

"Just move so they can see the fool." Jack grumbled his voice thick with sleep

Lucielle huffed and moved aside as she opened the door wider. Raising my hand up to my throat I watched as Jason walked in with a crooked grin on his face.

"Thanks Jack I feel better already." he joked

Running my eyes over his figure I felt a breath I hadn't realized I was holding release. On his smooth forehead was a large cotton bandage with a slight taint of red oozing through. Lowering my gaze I spotted a small cut over his top lip that seemed like a minor cut. Examining him over once again I spotted a light purple bruise at the side of his temple.

"Daddy." Sarah shrieked before launching herself at Jason

Her small arms wrapped around his knees as she hugged herself against him. Jason placed his one hand on her back and the other on top of her slightly frizzy hair from her small nap.

"Hey firecracker what are you still doing up?" he asked as he kissed her forehead

"You never helped me play baseball." Sarah pouted

"I'm sorry sweetheart, I had a bit of an accident but I promise to help you." he said as he lifted her up and kissed her cheek

Jackie stepped forward ready to collect Sarah, Sarah had her small arms wrapped around Jason. Pulling away she kissed him on his stubbled cheek and leaned into Jackie's arms.

"Okay good night daddy."

"Sweet dreams pumpkin."

Jackie sent him a soft smile as she headed up the stairs with Sarah clinging onto her like a baby kola, already her head was drooping as her eyes fluttered shut. I watched as Jackie disappeared up the stairs.

Turning my back towards Jason I found his ocean blue eyes taking me in as if it were the first time he's ever seen me. Rubbing my bare arms I attempted to smile but it felt shaky even to me. I noticed Lucielle staring between us with a giddy grin, she looked like a child in a candy store.

"Well we are just going to get a drink." Jack said and gripped his wife's arm and tugged her into the kitchen

Looking down at my feet I pressed my lips together knowing exactly what Jack was up to but I don't know what exactly to say. 'Im sorry but I think my obsessive stepfather might have tried to kill you."

Pff yeah that would just go over great or maybe I should try making amends from our little fight earlier.

"I'm glad your okay." I said awkwardly

"Gracie."

He took a step forward grabbing my attention, glancing up I could barely breath because of the soft gentleness in his eyes. Slowly my arms dropped to my side and any uncertainty was wiped clean out of my head.

I took a step forward feeling my heart jump into my throat, when he mimicked my movement it was the last string to break that held up my willpower.

Without my permission my feet closed the last few feet between us and flung my arms around his neck just as his strong arms held me closer against him. I felt a sob crawling up my throat as a new set of tears stung my eyes. Burying my face deeper into the crook of his shoulder I inhaled his strong masculine scent that seemed to cause me to relax.

"I was so scared." I hiccuped feeling the hot tears running down my face for the second time

"I'm fine love." he sighed

Gulping down the sob that was beginning to crawl its way out I rose up onto the balls of my feet and kissed his neck feeling his pulse against my lips.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered and kissed the side of his jaw

Knitting my fingers together I pulled away to glimpse at his expression. His jaw was clenched tightly as he looked me over a sad smile touching his broken features.

"I should have let you explain." I sniffed "It's just I was shocked and hurt that you were leaving."

"No sweetheart I'm sorry, I should have cancelled my flight but I was scared because that means I would have to admit how much you mean to me." he traced his thumb against my bottom lip

His eyes searched my expression as if he was worried I'd freak out that he has feelings for me. "Truth is Gracie I care a lot about you and I have to admit I was scared that I could feel that way about anyone again."

Is he... I gulped harshly feeling the rapid pulsing of my heart. Trailing my hands down to the side of his face I found my vision blurring with more pesky tears.

"I want to try this, us again if you'd give me a chance." he asked

My mouth opened as I tried forming a response, anything would do. "Jason I.." pausing I shook my head

The smile faded from his face and the next thing I knew he was on his knees with his arms wrapped around my waist.

"Gracie please give me another chance, I won't leave or mess up again please just let me try." he pleaded as he stared up at me with glistening eyes

He thinks I said no. Biting my bottom lip I found myself giggling at the small misunderstanding.

"What's so funny?" he asked a hint of hurt in his tone

Opening my mouth again to try I found myself stuttering like a fool again. Oh screw words! Lowering down to my knees I pressed my lips to his finding his mouth still at first but when he snapped out if his shock he was a more than willing participant.

He spread his large hand over the small of my back as he deepened the kiss. Pressing my body against his chest in desperation to get closer I leaned in just as he nipped my bottom lip.

A deep moan vibrated from deep in his throat and into my mouth causing my eyes to roll in the back of my head.

"Is that a yes?" he teased as he lowered himself onto his back and pulled me down with him so I was laying on his chest

"Yes." I giggled as I pecked his lips slowly trailing kisses down his neck

His fingers gripped a handful of my night gown as his free hand rubbed up and down my leg. Only stopping when he slipped his hand under my gown onto my inner thigh.

"Really right here?" I said yet continued kissing down his chest

"As long as I get you yes." he replied and skimmed his fingers up to my bare hip

I gasped at the feel of his fingers near the part of me that wanted the attention of his fingers. Arching my hips up I moaned and began unbuttoning his shirt not caring that we were in the middle of the living room ready to devour each other.

"I guess its safe to say you two made up."

At the sound of Jackie's voice I snapped my head up realizing in what position Jason and I were in and what we looked like we were doing. Jason peeked over my shoulder and groaned as he lowered his head.

"Can a man get any privacy with his girlfriend?" he groaned

"Girlfriend?" both Jackie and I said shocked by the label I was given

Sitting up onto his butt Jason pulled me closer onto his lap and wrapped my arms around me.

"Yeah I want all of you love, everything your willing to give me that is." he added cautiously

Fighting back another annoying giggle I nodded causing my hair to fall onto my face "I think we can figure out an arrangement." I answered and bent down to peck his lips

"Ugh yuck! Mom, dad they're doing it in the living room!" Jackie shouted

Pulling away from Jason I immediately jumped off of his lap my cheeks crimson as I only imagined what Jack and Lucielle are going to say.

"Nosy brat." Jason mumbled under his breath as he got onto his feet causing me to burst into laughter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

622K 17.7K 44
"You know...I thought I was just being a good friend by telling you. But no...I just wanted you for myself right? I didn't care about your feelings?"...
26.1K 352 20
Kendall, a bisexual 16-year-old, is living at home with an abusive mother, who's also an alcoholic. To cope with the physical pain received from her...
1.7K 52 15
What would you do when you wake up on your birthday to find your parents gone? Midnight didn't know how to react. Men came for her and she listened t...
31.7K 348 25
Andria and her twin brother Andrew live in small town Minnesota. They are just starting their senior year of high school when things begin to change...