Only You

By SamShelly_

All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she... More

prologue
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
Chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

chapter 7

161 8 4
By SamShelly_

I went to my cabin, still trembling a little from the incident that occurred not minutes ago. I redid the whole document and made sure to re check it over and over again before finally submitting it to Mr Knight. He didn't even acknowledge my presence as I  made my way into his office and placed the document on his desk. I asked if he needed anything else. Not getting a reply in return, I just turned around to leave.

I sat on my chair before calming my self. When was I ever going to have a simple life with not having to worry about money anymore? With having someone to care about me. Why did you leave me so early mom? Just why?  A tear leaked from my eye at the memories I had with her. My mind trailed off to the days when we were all happy, living together as a family. With my elder brother always there to look after me and to kiss my boo boos when I got hurt. Was he doing alright now? Had he settled down in life? Had he taken over dad's business as it was planned? I just hoped where ever he was, he was doing fine and living a happy life unlike me. I wiped that tear when someone barged into my office. It was none other than Stephen.

"Hey what brought you here?" I eyed the big canvas-like thing he was holding in his hands.

"You seriously asking me that? Girl where have you been? I waited for you at lunch but you never showed up?" He asked worried.

"Oh yeah . I just had a little extra things to take care of today. " He nodded in understanding. "What's that in your hand?" I asked him curiously.

"Oh this? I wanted to give this to you at lunch. But since you didn't show up, I brought it to you myself." He turned the canvas round, leaving me breathless. It was a picture of me. More like a portrait that he painted.  And it was beautiful. I was smiling in the photograph wearing a sundress and a hat. He had gotten every detail right. Every feature was painted to perfection.

"Wow," was all I could say. " I can't.. I can't believe you actually.... Woah! You really are very good at this." I was genuinely smiling in a long time. This small gesture actually really made me happy. "It's beautiful," I whispered.

"I know. This girl really is beautiful," I gave him an amused glare at his comment and he chuckled. I took the frame from his hand and placed it behind my chair against the wall with the portrait facing the wall so no one could see it.

"I didn't think you would actually paint me!" I exclaimed.

"Well now you know I am one honest friend huh?" He smirked .

"You sure are," I smiled at him.

"Now since you haven't had your lunch, wanna go out for dinner? My treat!"

I checked the time to see the work hours were almost over.

"Sure let me just wrap everything up. I'll meet you downstairs"

"Ok then see ya," he left my cabin while I started packing.

"Where did you find that picture of mine?" I asked as we took our place on the table. He brought me to a nearby diner and I couldn't wait to finally get something in my tummy.

"Ok don't be angry at me but I may have stalked you on Facebook to find a nice picture of yours!" He grinned sheepishly and I chuckled at his words.

"Of course you did!" we talked a little more and I realized I like spending time with him. After so many years I had finally made a friend who considered me a friend too. He dropped me off at my place and wished me good night.

Author's POV

All the while Ashton was feeling a little guilty. Was he too harsh? Ashton thought as he ran his fingers through his hair.

No he wasn't! She deserved it! She wanted him to suffer a big loss, that's why she did that! His mind argued. But somewhere in his heart, something was pulling him to believe that it was a mistake. She wouldn't have done that purposely.

Whatever, he didn't care. One more mistake and she's gone from here. But who was he kidding? He already had the chance of firing her at the spot. Yet he let it slip away. Why? He didn't know. His thoughts wandered off to a pair of eyes. Her hazel eyes that spoke volumes. There was something about her that he couldn't figure out. And this was not setting well with him. She was just another gold digger wasn't she?

He looked at the files that were now redone and looked okay to him. He shook his head again at the stupid girl's carelessness.

Grace's POV

After Stephen dropped me home and I waved him a good bye, I entered my house, straight away moving to my room and dropped on my bed.  Three days how the hell am I going to pay her in three days? God help me please. I sat up and ran my hand through my hair in worry.

I stood up from the bed to make my way to my cupboard drawer. I pulled out the box in which I gathered all my savings. I counted the money only to end up disappointed again. Still not enough. Even after starving my self for days!  I sighed again not knowing what to do.

I went to the bathroom and took a shower. I change into something fresh as I got in my bed with one thought running down my mind. How can I get money in three days?

The next day I turned up to the office and everything went normal. Until an angry man barged on the floor and started yelling something. I raised my eyebrows trying to figure out what was happening. Leaving my desk I made my way out of the cabin only to see a young man, not older than 30, being held down by two guards.

"Let me go you suckers!" He yelled as he thrashed in the guards' hold. "Ashton Knight!" He yelled on top of his lungs. "Come out you bastard! What do you think of yourself you moron?" He continued thrashing while spitting out horrible words for Mr Knight.

I think with all the commotion on the floor, Mr Knight might have heard him as he finally decided to grace us with his presence. I saw him raise his finger telling the guard to leave the man. He casually put his hands in his pockets as he stared at the man in amusement, with his lips tugged at one corner. The man continued glaring at Mr Knight.

"If it isn't my dear Rider Smith. What brings you here?" Mr Knight asked, challenging the guy who I now know is Rider Smith.

Rider took a few threatening steps forward as the guards moved up to hold him back. I was only standing a few steps away from the scene.

"You think by blacklisting me you can get rid of me?" Rider gritted out.

"No I only wanted to ruin you. By blacklisting you, you won't be able to get a job anywhere and that will leave you completely helpless which would be a perfect way to make you pay for your mistakes." Ashton spoke casually, shrugging his shoulders. "Everyone pays for fucking betraying me," he said looking into Rider's eyes. This time his words sent shiver over me as they were cold and harsher than before.

"You won't get away with it Ashton. If you think you can get away with making people's lives miserable by misusing your power than you are wrong." Rider spat. "I wouldn't have created this fuss if you would have left me alone after firing me! But you seriously blacklisted me!? I will pray that you won't ever be happy with all that money you make. You will suffer even after having all the riches of the world. I pray that you never get the happiness a person deserves. Mark my words Ashton! You. Will. Pay. For . Everything." Rider forcefully gritted out every word while jabbing his index finger in Mr.Knight's direction with every word he spat.

"Should have thought about this before pulling the stunt you did. You are only getting what you deserve" Ashton waved him off. This seemed to infuriate Rider as he took long strides towards the reception desk. I watched him confused, not knowing what he was trying to do. But everything made sense when he started approaching Mr Knight again, this time with a glass full of water in his hand.

I knew what he was going to do. And I don't know what came over me and why it came over me, but I dashed towards Mr Knight, standing in front of him blocking all the water that was supposed to hit Mr Knight, and taking the blow myself.

I gasped as the cold water slapped my face as my eyes shut with force. After some seconds I finally opened my eyes to see Rider standing with his jaw dropped looking at me with an empty glass in his hand. The water continued dripping down my face and my shirt as I turned around to see Mr Knight looking at me with a bored expression.

I looked back at Rider, only to see him being pulled out of the office forcefully by the guards. I turned around to see Mr Knight no longer standing behind me. The receptionist on the desk gave me a sympathetic look before coming up to me.

"I have an extra shirt. Let's get you changed," I slowly nodded at her words before following her through the corridor.

I came out of the bathroom, now wearing the fresh shirt the the girl gave me earlier. I saw her standing in the corridor waiting for someone. When she saw me, she immediately ran up to me.

"I hope you are fine?" She asked politely. I nodded and smiled at her.
"Why the hell did you do that? He clearly deserved that splash. What came over you?" She questioned me now getting a little angry for some reason.

"I .. don't .. know?" I replied. I honestly didn't know why I did that. God I just keep embarrassing myself every time. I'm so pathetic.

"If something like that happens in the future, make sure to not come in between," she scolded me like she was my mother as I nodded at her. "By the way I am Stella. You are the only other girl I know on this floor. I guess we could be good friends?" She stretched her hand for me to shake.

"Sure," I smiled and returned the hand shake. After that I moved back to my cabin to complete the rest of my work. The whole day went by in a blur and Mr Knight didn't bother to ask for me for anything else. I didn't bother showing up in his office as well after the awkward situation I created in the corridor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so what do you think about this? 

Comments on Ashton.....?

Views on Grace...??

don't forget to Vote and share pls. And do let me know how are you liking the story so far. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209 0 36
It was an impossible choice between a man chosen for her or a handsome stranger's solution - a temporary contractual marriage. Her choice left her f...
1.8M 81.3K 51
"Stop pretending. Boyfriend, right? With whom you'll be hanging out once Eth and your Dad are gone." I stared at him in disbelief. "What more things...
771K 50.7K 98
As he took one last step closer, his muscles made direct contact with every fragment of my body, and I could feel my skin become ten times warmer. "...
12.6K 440 60
"I'm the most eligible bachelor of America I'm a billionaire and you're rejecting me" "YES" "Tell me what you want I'll give you anything" " Anything...