Red

By XXrogueXlucyXX

Ruby's village stays confined to a forest that surrounds the village. No one would dare to attempt to escape... More

Prologue
One.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty-One.
Twenty-Two.
Twenty-Three.
Twenty-Four.
Twenty-Five.
Twenty-Six.
Twenty-Seven.
Twenty-Eight.
Twenty-Nine.
Thirty.
Thirty-One.
Thirty-Two.
Thirty-Three.
Thirty-Four.
Thirty-Five.
Thirty-Six.
Thirty-Seven.
Thirty-Eight.
Thirty-Nine.
Forty.
Epilogue.

Two.

3.2K 114 16
By XXrogueXlucyXX

"Mother I don't want you two to take us to the woods. The ending will be the same. The wolves will end up killing me. But one will result in you two being dead."

I only got the chance to talk to her the next morning. The two had denied me the chance to talk when we got back home resulting in me being sent to my room. I spent the night thinking about what had happened.

Someone had died. There hadn't been a fatality from the wolves since I was alive. Most people were smart enough to not be present during the sacrifice. The wolves had ventured out of their way to kill someone and now I'm to be the next sacrifice.

The thought was terrifying, but the king made it clear he would come here with force. My mom was in the kitchen making pancakes for us to eat for breakfast. She had pushed herself to do this.

"I know sweetie." My mom said as she came over with a plate. She set down the syrup along with some fruit. She tried hard today.

I smiled at her. I cut up the pancakes before dipping them in the syrup and eating them. "Where's dad?" I asked and mom looked up.

"He's out working. He'll be back before dusk though." To say goodbye. I knew that's what mom had meant but was too nervous to say it. She didn't want to talk about it.

I did my best to stay quiet about it. I had no one to talk to about it either. No one to say my goodbyes to or anything. The only people I could say goodbye to are my parents. I took in a deep breath. I would make the best of my last day.

Mom had made me pancakes. I kept that happy thought in mind. Pancakes. She made me the delicious fluffy delights for my last breakfast.

"I love you mom." I said and she looked at me and smiled.

"Love you too Ruby. I'm going to go feed the chickens and water the crops." Then she left me inside.

I stood up and put my dish away before entering my room in the log cabin. I have a small room, but it works. My bed was pushed in the corner with a simple cotton blanket covering it. No one here had any fur blankets. The king having the bear carpet was a miracle itself.

Having a fur blanket would involve being able to hunt a deer. They rarely ventured in and if they did their fur was never made into blankets. Only clothes. It would be considered the highest form of clothing. Fur.

My blanket was made from cotton my father had traded with one of the farmers. My pillow was stuffed full of feathers from the chickens outside. I sat down on the bed and looked back at my red cloak.

Grandmother had been the only one crazy enough to brace the woods. I never understood how she was able to survive for so long. 

Grandmother made the cloak herself. She made it from a mix of cotton and fleece. The inside was lined with fleece giving me warmth during winter. Winter is always harsh on the village. Crops were typically low resulting in people fighting for livestock. We were lucky enough to keep chickens high in case of a sacrifice as well as for winter for when food may run low.

My cloak was the richest piece of fabric I own. I pushed my hair back as I looked around as I leaned back on the bed. I had no idea what would happen tonight. I had never seen any of the wolves who hunted the woods. The only thing I knew is that they aren't normal.

A normal wolf would have moved on. These ones stayed. Here is no doubt prime hunting ground. They got a free meal every full moon when they are the most active and aggressive. 

My biggest fear is what will happen to me. They were keeping this sacrifice on the low to the point they were doing it where the wolves entered. This left me right where they could get easy access to me. What would they to do? I had no idea and I would be finding out soon... whether I wanted to or not.

Dad came home before dusk with dinner. He had gotten noodles and meat for us all to eat. Mom braided my hair while I ate. The air was tense. This would be our last dinner together.

I felt a tight knot building in my stomach as the sun sank in the sky. Once mom was done with my braid dad gave me a hug as I went to my room and grabbed my cloak. I had worn that every time I ventured out of the cabin I had it on and I'd be leaving with it as well.

No one could tell me what to do. I am the one be sacrificed after all. 

I turned to the mirror and cinched the cloak before walked back out where my mom stood at the door. I was silent as I watched one of the guards walk in and look around.

"She's in her room getting ready. We weren't hiding her." My mom argued giving the guard a nasty look as I stepped out. The guard looked over.

"We have to leave now." He said and I looked at my mom.

"Give us a minute." My mom snapped and the guard left reluctantly as she came over and hugged me.

"I love you Ruby and if I could prevent this I would." Mom smiled at me as my dad came over and hugged me. The guilt in the air was heavy. I couldn't even bring myself to have hate for this. I could see in plain sight what would happen.

I nodded as I let go of my mom and followed the guard out to where they had a cart as I got in. I took in a deep breath doing my best to control myself. I could do it. I took in a deep breath as I leaned back as the cart rolled forward.

My parents were always insistent in me staying at home. They weren't fond of me leaving out into the village. I had been sheltered my entire life and very few times was I allowed out into the village. 

The most I had seen of the woods were around the cabin. I had only seen one deer run through before it darted back off into the woods when I by accident spooked it.

But now here I am at the entrance of one of the woods. The forest split open in numerous parts leaving openings for the wolves if they decided to venture in. But they only ever did on the full moon to take their sacrifice.

The guard took me out of the cart as I stepped out and looked at the looming woods in front of me. The trees were tall and vast with a split opening that was paved by paws no doubt.

At the front there was what I assumed to be where I would be. It was a stone platform with a wooden rack with ropes and cuffs. It looked like something out of a nightmare. The guard took out four chickens from the cart and set them down as he tossed seeds for them to eat.

"The king instructed us to leave some of the original sacrifices here as well. Once you are set up, we will leave to prevent them from getting aggravated on us." I stood there silently as the guard motioned me forward.

Fear wove itself through me as I got up the stone platform as the guard came over as I stood there. "These cuffs are to ensure you won't try to run off. The king would prefer to not have to use lethal force tonight especially with how irritated the wolves happen to be." I stood there silently as the guard grabbed my wrists and put them in the cuffs.

"Can you at least loosen them a little and give me more slack room?" I asked and he looked at me and rolled his eyes. But he only loosened them refusing to let me move my arms any more than how they were stretched out.

I looked over where the chickens pecked the seeds off the ground and plucked spades of grass from the soil. The guard tested everything before he went over to the cart and got in before he took one more look around.

I watched him make a motion before he left me there before the woods bound. A nervous feeling came over me upon realizing I was completely alone before the forest. Nothing out here except me, the chickens, and the wolves.

They hadn't appeared yet, but I knew they were out there. I looked back up at the sky as the moon began to raise as one chicken passed me and looked up tilting its head in interest at the human in front of him.

Suddenly a howl broke out and the chickens began making their noises knowing that something was near. 

The wolves were out and were now coming for their sacrifice.

1527. I hope you guys are enjoying. I'm trying to make sure this is good. I feel a bit nervous but at the same time confident. I have the plot planned so far so here we go! ***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

573K 17K 23
On the morning of her 21st birthday, Neera awakens to find her mate brand marks her as the Destined One for none other than the Alpha of her pack. Sh...
6K 488 41
It all happened one night with only one bite on a blue moon.How would I control what I am? How could I possibly live with myself being indifferent. I...
6.5K 536 48
Something sinister stalks the forest. ☾ After the failed coup against the wolves Ruby finds herself moving once more. With all the bloodshed somethin...
6.2K 388 9
There is one rule in the game. And it needs to be broken. There is one goal. And when you attain it, you die. Wolves are hiding in the woods, just wa...