The Strings To My Heart

By hungergamefanatic02

Written by: @hungergamefanatic02 @Fangirl_ID_Number_69 and @soccerpatriot (AKA; The Queenz of SHOOKNESS) Musi... More

2
3
4
Chapter 5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12

1

219 12 13
By hungergamefanatic02

(Author's note: The music in this book is ours and we are putting a Copyright on it. We made it, and we use it for this. So please, do you copy, use, or claim it as your own. Please do not steal it or distribute it as your own. It was made for this book and took time and work. Thank you.)

-Zeffie, Aaliyah and Grace

Prologue

"Ooh, don't change it! I love this song." Annie moved her hand from the dial per Prim's request and stepped to the side and they sang along.

"You got your heart broken once, twice, three times. I can't assume it won't happen again. You got thrown in the gutter again and again. I'll be with you until the end; the end."

The harmony echoed around the house as the song continued, but as Annie took another step towards the radio's volume control, Katniss completely lost it.

"Guys! Turn it off!" Katniss flung her book at Prim's head, who ducked in the nick of time. "You guys waste your life away listening to this stupid music. Turn it off." She stormed out of the room before she was able to see her sisters' reactions.

Annie and Prim stood in shock as they took in the absolutely demolished playroom. Katniss's usual resting spot was no longer occupied by the soft beanbag and black coffee table, and shards of glass from the aimlessly thrown lamp lay in a heap on the floor.

"What did she do this time?" Madge slammed through the still ajar door as her mouth gaped open. Her arms rested on her hips and all Prim and Annie could do were shrug guiltily.

"She broke the lamp" is all Prim could muster. Yet again, Annie and Prim had taken their obsession too far. But their entire weekend was devoted to the most exciting event of their life. It's not her often that you get free front row seats for your favorite band's concert.

For the girls, this was so much more than a favorite band. Like a fandom, a celebrity crush times infinity. Not for Katniss, though. Even Madge was a bigger fan than she was. And this hadn't been the first time Katniss had lost her temper over the same old song.

"Maybe you guys should turn it off for now." Madge was just as scared of Katniss's temper like everyone else.

"No!"

"She's already going to the concert with you tonight. Isn't that enough?" Madge crossed her arms and gave them her convincing death glare, taking advantage of the whole oldest-sister's-best-friend ordeal.

"Yeah, but her anger issues are... awful." Prim nodded in agreement and then shook her head.

"How did you convince her to go anyways? She hates New Capitol." Prim looked at Annie desperately.

"Don't ask," Annie replied. "I'm just surprised she didn't kill me."

~

Chapter One

Katniss's POV

THE SUPER SECRET DIARY OF KATNISS EVERDEEN- THE GIRL ON FIRE

ok. I may or may not have had another freak out, but that's not my point. my sisters are shitting the hell out of me with their music. the singers are like screeching pigs. it's pure torture. don't ask me how Annie convinced me to go to the concert tonight. all I can hope is that I'll make it out alive. 

Madge gripped my arm tighter. "You. Are. Freakishly. Strong," she said in between breaths. I continued to restrain her pull. My focus remained on my book, and I followed the story with crazy stamina because it seemed impossible to read as she yanked. It felt like my arm was being pulled from my socket.

"Put down your shucking book! You bloody shank," She added, dropping my arm. "You agreed to go with them."

"Thanks, Newt," I said with an eye roll.

"Who said I was mimicking Newt?" She asked with a wicked grin displayed on her lips.

"We both know that you were mimicking Newt," I said as I walked out of the room. Madge trailed behind me, and I could feel her eyes burning into my neck as I slowly closed my book.

Yesterday, I told myself I would finish my book with every little moment I had in my day. I barely remember what Annie did to get me to go to the concert. It's not that I hate music, but I can't stand this romance nonsense they blare on their radio. I like rap. I swear, it's the opposite genre.

"Why aren't you coming?" I asked Madge.

"I'm not missing this." She said, gesturing to me and slapping my book out of my hand. My jaw dropped and my grey eyes turned red. "I'm definitely coming. Just in a different car." As flipped as I was, I knew it was probably best if she didn't ride with us.

"No music on the way there." I locked in the key and the gassy end of the engine emitted a gross smell that reminded me to close my door as I backed out of the garage. I looked at the so-far silent Prim and Annie, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. They really are addicted to that band. And their adorable sharing earbud duo proved it.

They heeded my words and were silencing singing along instead of actually singing out loud. Although this was an improvement in many ways, it was also quite distracting.

I rolled my eyes and focused on getting us to the concert alive.

If it weren't for my sisters, there would be no way in hell that I'd ever go to a New Capitol concert. Apart from the horrible music they produced, the singers were idiots and wanted attention. Although Gale was awful with his 70's surfer's hair, the worst one had to be that Peeta. His stupid golden curls, his cheesy, fake smile- ugh! I forced any thought of his ocean blue eyes out of my head (only eleven-year-olds fantasized about such idiots!) and maintained my disapproving and revolted mindset.

And far too soon, we arrived at the arena where they were performing. Prim and Annie shrieked with excitement at the sight of the huge, glowing board that said NEW CAPITOL PERFORMANCE TODAY: 7-9 pm.

It is all I can do to not roll my eyes or poke fun of them. I tell myself that they're 18 and 13 and should be allowed to be an annoying, boy-obsessed teenage girl. Because you only are 13 once, right?

I sighed and parked my old, beat-up car in the lot and locked the doors behind me. My sisters ran ahead of me and squealed at the enormous, glowing posters of the New Capitol members. I shook my head and followed at a distance. Oh, why am I here?

At last, we've had our tickets verified and the moment we step foot into the vast arena, I felt sick to my stomach.

At least seventy-five percent of the audience was female and looks under the age of eighteen.

The one thing that kept me from running out of the room screaming was the look of pure joy on Annie and Prim's faces. Both of their faces are plastered with huge grins and almost star-struck eyes. It's all for them, I told myself.

So when Finnick Odair stepped on to the stage and was greeted by an awful chorus of blood-curdling screams (including those of my sisters), I forced myself to think about how Prim and Annie would look back and cherish this day so. And how these next few hours would bring such joy. So I gritted my teeth and didn't even try to pretend to look excited.

"ARE YOU READY?!" shouted Gale Hawthorne into his microphone. His question was met with hysterical shrieks of, "YES!!!"

"Woo!"

Gale and Finnick were followed by Peeta Mellark, and with that, every member of New Capitol stood on the large stage, grinning, and dressed in stupid boy-band attire.

And then, it began.

They started with some of their popular songs but didn't get to my personal (yes, personal. I will never admit to my sisters that I have a favorite New Capitol song) favorite, I told myself that I was NOT disappointed, seeing as I hated this boy band and everything they did.

Their dances were stupid, their singing terrible and off-key, and their performing was just... ugh.

Or so I told myself.

Annie and Prim jumped up and down beside me, screaming their lungs out. The floor literally trembled with the weight of so many people jumping and dancing. As the night progressed, Peeta, Finnick, and Gale grew visibly exhausted, but I had to admire their stamina, as they kept ongoing.

"BABY, BABY, BABY OHHHHHHHHHHHHH," they sang, accompanied by thousands of other teenage girls. "BABY, BABY, BABY OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

What a load of bullshit.

I checked my watch, and my heart ached when I realized we had been there for only a half-hour. I crossed my fingers that one of them would pass out on the stage and the concert would have to end early.

I don't know what I would have done without the hour in the intermission. The break in between. My heart was pounding in my ears and I seriously needed water. I trailed along with a series of hallways that took me far away from the claustrophobia that plagued my very large space bubble.

I had no idea where I was going. Granted, I didn't care where my feet took me. As far away from the stupid cheesy romance music as possible. I slumped against the wall and took a deep breath.

"I'm surprised you've lasted this long."

"You're so nosy!" I said. "I just wanted some peace and quiet."

"You came to a boy band concert. There's no quiet," Madge said as she sat next to me on the floor. She was right, though. I came to the center of noise; I should not expect quiet. We sat there for a little bit longer, and I longed for my book. Every bone in my body ached to know what was going to happen next.

Even in the dark, hidden hallway, the cheers signifying the next hour made its way to us. Reluctantly, I followed Madge back to the front row of the arena, jumping over untucked purses and bags and tripping over feet.

Annie and Prim were in fangirl city. At that time of day, I would have been too, crying over my favorite character or pleading for their survival. That is my type of paradise. Another reason why I am nothing like my sisters. The only person in this whole world that I can actually relate to is Madge.

"Yes, this one's my favorite!" I heard Prim shout. I did my best to act like I was enjoying myself, and was surprised to hear myself singing along. More like mumbling along.

"You got your heart broken once, twice, three times. I can't assume it won't happen again. You got thrown in the gutter again and again. I'll be with you until the end; the end." What is this trash anyway? I thought. Who would want to listen to this every day? I wanted to gag.

"So then you're singing oh oh oh! No no no! I've got your back, she stole your soul." Yikes. The song ended with an oddly comforting diminuendo, and I couldn't resist covering my ears when the shrieks and squeals began, filling the arena.

"When is this going to be over?" I turned to Madge, so desperately wanting to leave.

"Oh shiz, Katniss. Stop nerding your way to misery and enjoy yourself." As impossible as happiness seemed for me at that moment, I really had no choice. I picked Prim up off the ground and set her on my shoulders. For being thirteen, she was incredibly light.

"Thank you Coalsville!" I couldn't even tell which one was talking, but with those three words, the crowd went wild again. "One last song for tonight and we hope you'll remember this one for your one true love." Yuck. What the klunk goes on in these people's heads? Klunk was the only word I could think of to describe my situation.

The last song lasted too long. Well, I'm pretty sure it was only, I don't know, the usual three and a half minutes, but it sure felt like an eternity.

I set Prim down on the ground and she brushed her shorts off. She whispered something in Annie's ear, and they suddenly ran out of the arena. "What the he-"

"There's a meet and greet as soon as the concert ends. They want to be the first in line." Madge casually gathered up the stuff they left behind.

"What!" My yell came out as a whisper, but I desperately wanted to punch someone and scream in their face. I lowered my voice as the music ended in the background. "No one told me I had to stay longer. And to meet them. No. No. No!"

Oh, how I would hate to be famous.

Madge just smiled at me and grabbed my wrist as we tripped out the door. "You're coming. Stop acting like a baby."

"I'm not a baby! I'm a very mature baby." She snickered. The concert hadn't even officially ended, and there was already a line wrapped in loops inside the building and curving around the outside. I desperately wished Prim and Annie had left a little earlier, but they still managed to squeeze themselves in towards the front.

The longest fifteen minutes of my life were spent in that line. Worse than any line at Disneyland. Because there, the event at the end of the line is exciting. And not forced upon you.

"It's our turn!" I have never seen Prim this excited. I thought she had reached her highest point of excitement when she got her first New Capitol poster (that's right. First.), or when she was allowed to keep her cat. This is... way too much excitement for my taste.

Prim and Annie were practically trembling with excitement and anticipation when we finally reached the table where Peeta, Finnick, and Gale stood, looking attractive as always but quite worn out. It was strange to see them up close since I've always seen their photos but never in real life. And the photos never managed to capture the brilliant ocean color of Peeta's eyes. Irrelevant, I tell myself firmly.

"Hey, girls," Finnick said. His talking voice was higher than I expected, and he winked at us. Annie and Prim just about died. "What are your names?"

"I'M ANNIE," Annie said, probably a lot louder than she intended.

Prim tried to speak but no words came out. I rolled my eyes. "This is Prim and I'm Katniss."

"Did you guys enjoy the show?" asked Gale. Completely contrasting Finnick, his voice is low and smooth, like melted chocolate. He raised an eyebrow at me, and I wonder if he's like this with every female he comes across. Out of them all, he's the most mature, hot, and you could even say sexy. He was cocky, flirty, seductive, and therefore NOT my type.

Prim choked out, "YES."

"No shit," I said before thinking. "You were practically screaming your lungs out. You probably won't be able to talk tomorrow."

Peeta raised both his eyebrows and Gale chuckled. Finnick smiled and said, "So, did you guys want us to sign something?"

"Y-yes," Annie squeaked. She and Prim handed over their posters with shaking hands.

Gale looked directly into Annie's eyes (she turned bright red) and signed his name with an unnecessary flourish. Finnick took it and signed his name the biggest, in the center of the poster. And Peeta signed his name near the bottom. He handed it back to Annie, smiling.

"Th-thank you," she whispered and held it tight to her heart.

Prim, who was blushing so hard it looked as though she was choking, handed her New Capitol poster over to the band.

"So, do you live around here?" asked Finnick. I couldn't believe he was asking such a casual question.

"Close enough so that I couldn't use the excuse that it was 'too far' to stay home," I blurted out. Katniss, I scold myself. Their music is awful, but don't be so rude! This is for Annie and Prim, remember?

Gale looked slightly taken aback, but his face melted into a cocky grin. "I like you," he said in that deep baritone voice of his. "I'm going to call you Catnip. Spicy and strong."

Okay... a bit weird.

Annie's jaw dropped and I know she will rant about this later.

"Thank you?" I said, a bit puzzled. I cleared my throat and looked away from this Gale, who was a little too captivating. But my eyes happened to land on Peeta, which didn't help at all. It was then that I noticed he'd been staring at me for this entire time.

An awkward sort of silence blanketed the group, and I fidgeted uncomfortably, not thinking that they would have this effect on me.

"MyfavoritesongbyyouisBeautifulGorgeousLove," Prim blurted out, breaking the silence.

The three guys all said, "Huh?" simultaneously.

Prim blushed and looked down.

"She said," I said in a bored-sounding voice. "Her favorite song of yours is Beautiful, Gorgeous Love."

Peeta broke into a smile. "Thanks, hon," he said. "We're so lucky to have fans like you."

Prim and Annie stared at him, wide-eyed and said nothing.

"Anyway," Peeta said, looking directly at me. "Since you all, Annie, Prim, and Katniss were the first in line, you have won yourself VIP front row tickets for our next concert!"

"We weren't first in line," I said, confused. Gale and Finnick both looked at Peeta awkwardly.

Annie and Prim looked at each other and screamed. Finnick chuckled and handed over three golden tickets. "We'll see you soon," he said anyway.

Annie and Prim continued to squeal as we walked away from the table.

"Dammit, I forgot my poster," Prim said.

"I'll go grab it," I said through gritted teeth. As I walked back to the table, I could just barely make out the guys' lingering, slightly muted, conversation.

"Did you just give away VIP concert tickets?" I heard one of them ask. The replying voice was Peeta's.

"Can we talk about this later?" He asked. "I have a perfectly good reason for it." I backed up against a wall so they couldn't see me eavesdropping.

"If you have a good reason, then tell us!" The other one replied.

"Katniss, she gave me a song idea, and I want her to hear it at the next concert." My mouth dropped open and my tongue dried on impact with the air. I felt like I was choking. My hands began to sweat. This is why I shouldn't have come. I've wanted nothing to do with them my whole life and now the one I despise the most plans to write a song about me. Yuck.

Tucking the conversation aside for later, I walked casually up to the table. I tapped on the table for good measure. When I got no reaction, I cleared my throat. All three boys looked up at me simultaneously. The little silence felt like an eternity, and for a quick second, it seemed so quiet you could hear a pin drop. On the carpet.

"What can we do for you, pretty lady," Gale asked. My face quickly morphed from disgust to discomfort. But I ignored it.

"My sister left her poster."

"Which one?" Gale asked as he grabbed it from the far end of the table.

"The awkward one." He laughed and handed me the poster. As I walked away, I caught Peeta staring at me out of the corner of my eye. There is something hella wrong with this place.

Prim eagerly accepted her signed poster when I caught up to my sisters in the parking lot. I still felt like puking after hearing the band's conversation. Who the hell does Peeta think he is? Going around and writing a song for a girl he doesn't even know.

Madge and I switched cars on the drive home, leaving her to deal with the still overly excited teenagers. I turned on rap music in the background, creating a nice, comforting atmosphere the whole ride home.

To me, Annie was always the mature one. At the age of sixteen, I never thought I would experience the fangirl side of her. Or the awkward side. Awkward had always been the word I used to describe Prim. It's kind of freaky.

The drive home felt shorter than the drive to the arena, and when I pulled up into our long driveway, it took all my strength to not drive away and go see a movie. It seemed stupid, but I just needed time to myself.

"Today was literally the best day of my life!" I heard Prim squeal as I walked in the front door. I walked straight past her and flopped down on my bed, hoping to fall asleep right then and there. I laid there for a while, staring up at the glowing stars on my ceiling. Sometimes I wished I could fly up there, into space, and never come back down.

At ten thirty, I finally went back into the living room, where all of my sisters were sitting on the couch. The television was on, but their eyes were all on their phones. Annie and Prim were continuously giggling, checking each other's phone screens with a laugh before reverting back to the screens in their own hands.

I couldn't help myself, so I looked over the back of the couch. I wasn't surprised to see them both scrolling through similar social media pages, both containing pictures of their favorite band. "I'm going to work now," I said. None of them spoke, just nodded, until Prim responded,

"You can't go to work right now. They're re-streaming the concert in a couple of minutes!" She looked at me with her precious puppy dog eyes. The same eyes she gave me when she found her cat. The same eyes she gives me that always win.

"I already went to the concert. I don't want to watch it again." I surprised myself when I realized I hadn't caved, and I walked away. As soon as I closed my bedroom door, I heard the music start on the television, and Prim and Annie faintly singing along.

I could just barely make out the start of a song, the words hardly audible. "Your heart is in the right place. And all I want to do is see your face." I could not believe they enjoyed listening to that terrible music.

I grabbed a stray bag from my closet and stuffed my work clothes in there, not wanting to completely change right then and there. Because it was so late, I was lazier than usual. Before leaving, I rummaged through the fridge, grabbing two apples so I wouldn't eat the food at the diner.

When I arrived at the diner, I clumsily headed to the back and put on my apron and washed my hands. I felt like falling asleep right then and there, I was so exhausted. "Boo!" I jumped up and twirled around, startled. My hand came out against my will and slapped the source across the face. "Ow," she said.

"Sorry, Johanna. You need to stop doing that." She rubbed her cheek back and forth, the red mark my hand had left slowly fading away.

"Getting slapped is totally worth it," she joked. Before heading to the kitchen, I did my best to wake myself up, splashing water in my face. I almost wanted to ask Johanna to slap me, but I knew that would not end well.

The rest of the kitchen staff was just as tired as I was. But the customers seemed awake with the usual morning buzz- it didn't seem like it was almost midnight.

In fact, the number of customers was growing. I sighed but remembered that this was my job and I was getting paid (no matter how small- I was still getting paid!). I forced myself back up, rubbing the exhaustion from my eyes, and fulfilled my duties as a loyal waitress.

The rest of the night passed by in a blur. It was the usual: serving customers, collecting meager tips, and trying not to pass out on my way back to the kitchen, precariously balancing plate after plate on small trays.

Finally, there was one old couple left in the cafe, and I could rest. Feeling relieved, I plopped down in one of the booths and sighed, trying to stay awake.

And damn, did this couple take FOREVER. It felt like hours had passed until they finally started to stand up. Knowing this was my sign to help, I trudged over and plastered a fake smile on my face.

"Thank you so much for coming," I told them. The old woman smiled and nodded. Her aged husband handed me ten dollars as a tip, and my eyes widened. "Really?" I asked, surprised, and touched by their generosity.

"Yes," she said. "I used to work in a place like this once. I know it can get hard. But it's all going to be worth it in a few years and you'll be grateful that you had this job."

"Th-thank you," I said quietly. "Thank you so much."

With that, she winked at me and hobbled out of the cafe. For some reason, her encouragement made me slightly happier, and I walked to the kitchen to put up the Sorry, We're Closed sign with a smile on my face.

But just as I rotated the sign, the door was pushed open and two more people walked in. I just took it as another two customers, but something felt oddly familiar. Not in a good way.

"Katniss?!" an all-too-familiar voice said incredulously.

"Katniss!" echoed another voice, slightly deeper.

This couldn't have been happening. I wanted nothing more than to curse until my lungs hurt. "What do you want," I said harshly.

"Hello to you too," said Finnick with a chuckle.

I scowled. This was no coincidence. Immensely famous people did not just happen to roll into the small cafe I worked at. And especially since we had seen them and met them not too long ago. The fact rattled me! Going to the concert was a terrible mistake.

"But what do you want? I mean, you clearly followed me here; no millionaire just stops by this cafe-" I asked.

"What are you talking about?" Peeta asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We would NOT stalk you," Finnick stated.

"Well, then how did you end up here of all places?"

"We were just checking out the city," Finnick said, shrugging.

"Yeah, and-"

"-We got lost," he finished.

I stared at them in disbelief. "How?" I asked. "This town is tiny!"

"Big enough for us to get lost in," Peeta said.

I shook my head and then wiped my hands on my apron. "Okay, but what do you want?"

"Help."

"What?!"

"Help!"

I stared at them and shook my head. Two of the most famous and influential musicians stood in my dingy, small cafe, completely casual and totally lost. And they just happened to be from the band that I hated most.

Although I could not deny that they (especially Peeta) were... sort of nice and good-spirited.

"Okay," I said, sighing. "Let's sit down." I gestured to one of the booths. "What do you need help with?"

"Again, we said that we're lost," Peeta said. "Would you please help us?"

"So we need your help since you seem to be so smart and knowledgeable about the town here," Finick said smoothly.

"Flattery won't help your case," I said, rolling my eyes. "Where do you need to be?"

"Well..." Finnick said, hesitating.

"The thing is..." Peeta began.

"The one hotel here is booked-"

"And there's no way in hell that we're staying at Three-Star Inn."

"Yeah, by the looks of that place, it is doubtful that we would come out alive."

"Okay. But first things first."

"Yeah?"

"Totally."

"STOP DOING THAT!" I said loudly, shuddering. "THAT SCARES ME!"

"Doing what?"

"We're not doing anything!"

"Yes, you are! That twin thing! Where you finish each other's' sentences! It's creepy!" I cried.

"We are not-"

"-Doing a twin thing," finished Peeta.

"YOU JUST DID IT!"

"We didn't do anything!" Finnick protested, throwing his hands into the air.

"OKAY. Just stop it! Why do you guys even finish each other's sentences? How do you do it anyway?"

"I don't know," Peeta admitted. "I guess we've just spent so much of our time these past ten years together that I kind of know-"

"-exactly what he's thinking-"

"-so do I!"

They looked at each other sheepishly and laughed. It took all my willpower to not grin alongside them, but I knew better than that. "So it's a deal?"

"We'll try our hardest not to..."

"But it's not our fault if we do!"

"It's sort of like-" Finnick explained.

"-a habit," Peeta finished, grinning.

"SHIT! STOP!" I screeched.

"SORRY!" he yelped.

"YOU BETTER BE!" I yelled.

"I AM!" he promised.

"GOOD!"

"OKAY!"

"WHY ARE WE STILL YELLING?"

"I DON'T KNOW!"

"LET'S STOP!" I shouted.

"OKAY!" he hollered.

Finnick raised an eyebrow and looked amused. "All right, you too." He grinned. "But seriously. Katniss, would you please extend the kindness of your heart and help two lost, young, strikingly handsome men out?"

"Not if you keep talking like that!" I spluttered.

"Fine, fine. Please though," Peeta said seriously.

"I already said yes!"

"Okay. So, this might be a bit awkward but... uh..." Finnick said, hesitating.

"What?" I asked tiredly.

"We sort of need a place to stay... for the night," Peeta said in a rushed voice, as though trying the get the worst over with.

"And, uh, maybe for a little while too."

"Yeah. Like, um... three months," Peeta said in a small voice.

I... was totally speechless.

It was too crazy for me to believe. Two of the most popular (and my least favorite) people in the entire freaking world came to me and asked if they could LIVE with me. For three months.

I repeat THREE. MONTHS.

I was beyond shocked. I was dumbfounded. Silent with astonishment.

First, I had agreed to sacrifice my ears and dignity for one concert. One concert, which was followed by a meet-and-greet, which, much to my dismay, had turned into a flirting session, which was pursued by free VIP tickets for the remainder of the season- a certain guarantee to see them again.

The first thought that crossed my mind was about Annie and Prim. How they would likely die, learning the news that their idols would be living with us for three months. How they would brag, a fangirl all day long. How they would probably be unable to sleep, knowing that two members of New Capitol would be resting two rooms away. How happy they would be.

But then, it was them. Two members of the most loved boy band, New Capitol. What would our neighbors think about this new arrangement? What if paparazzi stormed our house? What if someone came into our house, knowing Peeta and Finnick would be there?

There were so many questions. Too many.

"I don't know..." I said slowly.

"Please," Finnick begged. "You'll get free merch and autographs and CD's and whatever they sell these days. You'll get to tell your grandchildren and children that New Capitol lived in your house."

"Katniss," Peeta began. His voice was soft and gentle. "I understand if you don't want us to stay. If I were you, I'd be a little weirded out. I am too, actually. But we don't really have any other options. Gale is finishing the tour. Please?" He sighed. "We'll even pay rent."

I looked down, as a feeling of guilt and pity bubbled inside of me. I reminded myself that these were Peeta and Finnick, members of the most popular boy band in Panem. But they were also human, just like us. And they really didn't have any other options.

I sighed. "Fine."

Peeta's eyes widened. "A-actually? Really? FOR REAL?!"

"Yes. I must be crazy, but yes, I'll allow it."

"KATNISS THANK YOU!!!!!!" Finnick shouted. "YOU ARE AMAZING! I LOVE YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I SWEAR WE'LL BE GREAT HOUSE GUESTS!" He jumped up and hugged me so tight I thought I'd choke.

"You're welcome," I wheezed. "But please loosen your hold on my neck."

"Sorry," he said and quickly jumped away. But he was still beaming.

"Katniss," Peeta began. "I just wanted to say... thank you so much. This really means a lot. I mean, I know it's weird, having us stay here and it'll probably be a bit awkward but your generosity means so much. I... can't thank you enough."

I am a bit stunned by Peeta's heartfelt response and feel a smile tugging on my face. He was just so... warm. And happy. And I felt as though everything he said came directly from his heart. I admired that about him since I've had trouble with that before.

"Y-you're welcome," I said, embarrassed to feel a blush creeping up my cheeks.

Both of them smiled and then Finnick said, "SO! Let's go!"

"Let's... go?" I said, lost. Then it hit me. We're doing this now. "Oh! Right. Yeah. Okay, let me change out of my work clothes." I walked away, perhaps a little too quickly, and into one of the restrooms where I threw on the clothes I was wearing earlier.

I hung up the SORRY, WE'RE CLOSED sign and met the guys out front. "Cute shirt," Peeta said. I automatically looked down to examine my shirt. It was a short, green, sort of crop-top, one of my usuals. I never really noticed anything about it until Peeta complimented it, and even then, it just seemed more pretty than usual.

Something about Peeta made me feel... different. Prettier. More grown-up. Sexier, even. The small things he did, the way he looked at me, the little things he said. And I had been talking to this guy for about fifteen minutes. The effect was amazing and a little bit scary.

"So..." I said, in a voice a bit higher than normal. "Are you ready?"

"Hell yeah!"

"Let's go!" Finnick said.

The car ride back to our house was actually quite interesting. I drove and forced the two guys to sit together in the backseat. We heard one of their songs on the radio, and they stupidly sang along to it, in an exaggerated way. I rolled my eyes but was entertained by their childish behavior. But it also made me realize how crazy this was: that I was sitting in a car with people whose songs were on the radio.

When we parked, I stopped them for a minute. "Guys," I said in a low voice. "I have an idea."

"Yeah?" they asked, eyebrows raised.

"So," I began, with a rather evil smirk on my face. "You guys are like my sisters' favorite people in the world. What if... we sneak in and don't tell them anything since they'll be asleep. And then they wake up to find you just chilling in the living room?"

Peeta and Finnick stared at me.

"What?" I said defensively. "I thought it was a good idea!"

All of a sudden, Peeta burst out laughing. "I think it's a great idea. Let's do it!"

I grinned and led them inside to a quiet house. "So," I whispered. "Finnick, you can sleep in there. In that guestroom." He nodded and walked in, shutting the door behind him.

"And you..." I started but stopped mid-sentence. "Uh..."

"Is something wrong?" he asked concernedly.

"No," I said. But there was, and god, would it be embarrassing. I could already feel a blush creeping up my cheeks. "Um. Do you mind sharing a room with me?"

"Oh!" Peeta turned as red as I did and I shifted my feet uncomfortably. "Well. Sure. I mean, I don't mind at all, but I don't want to take your space..."

"Oh! You won't" I said, still quite embarrassed. "I... um am sorry that we're not able to provide more space for you."

"No, no!" he said quickly. "I don't mind it at all! Actually, well never mind. But I really don't care."

"Okay," I said a little too quickly. "Well, come on in."

I open the door to my room and lead him in. It's not beautiful, or something out of a magazine or anything, but it's something. There are many plants hanging on the walls, and photos of my sisters and I. There are several strings of small fairy lights hanging on the walls. The bed is large and soft, with a blue blanket on top. Most of it was made by me since I am an interior designer.

For some reason beyond my comprehension, Peeta gasped. "I love your room!"

"Thank you?" I said, a little confused.

Peeta yawned and tried to cover it with a hand, but I still caught it. I narrowed my eyes and said, "Bed."

"Huh?"

I blushed and realized my mistake. "Oh, I'm sorry. I just do that to my sisters all the time. If I ever catch them yawning, it's bedtime for them."

He chuckled and said, "Well, I am tired."

"Then sleep!"

"A-are you sure?" he asked, uncertain. For another reason too which I could not explain, I found myself laughing at his uncertainty.

"Yes!" I told him. "I have some work to do. I'll come in in a little bit."

"Okay..." he said. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Just sleep!"

And with that, I shut the door and walked out, breathing heavily. I don't know what is wrong with me. I haven't felt this way since... ever. Not since Cato, or even the first one. It's too... overwhelming. I don't know what to do about my feelings, or how to handle them. They're too intense and scary.

But also so good. I am drowning in emotions and also a feeling of betrayal. I swore to myself that they were just a band, right? Just some stupid boyband that I would have nothing to do with.

But that was before I met Peeta.

I pinched my arm and told myself to snap out of it. I couldn't... be falling.

It was impossible and I refused to accept it. So I contented myself in reading my book until I was certain that he was asleep.

I crept into my room and quietly closed the door, trying not to make a sound. When I saw Peeta on my bed, I nearly lost it. He was curled up on one side of the bed, looking like a cat. I smiled to myself and crawled in next to him, trying not to touch or bump him, or be awkward in any way.

And, although I tried to distance myself from him, I could not stop myself from inhaling his sweet, almost cinnamony scent. It put me at ease, and finally, finally, I was able to rest.

Hello all! How do you like this!? Leave us your comments and thoughts, along with a vote! Blow it up! Let us know what you guys like and what you want to happen next! We hope you like this so far! We all do! And also, go follow my fellow Queenz! 

Also, these songs are not for use! We made them, so they are Copyrighted. Plz, don't use them or share them or anything like that plz! thank you! ©

Fangirl_ID_Number_69

&

soccerpatriot

We love yall! And we are glad to be back! Bai!! Lots of love! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

-Zeffie, Aaliyah, and Grace!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249K 6.7K 68
❝Welcome to hell! Tell me, how does it feel to be Snow's new puppets?❞ ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳ A Victor's child is probably the most prestigious title anyone...
Sparks Fly By (:

Fanfiction

22.3K 264 39
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games, but nothing is as she wishes. Katniss' relationship with Peeta is strained, and rum...
3.8K 74 8
Y/n Odair, Finnick Odair's little sister, She won the 70th hunger games her mentors, her brother and Mags. Y/n was also 16 years old when she won, as...
232K 6.7K 114
The Victory Tour? Over. The Quarter Quell? Over. Katniss's life? Over, as far as Peeta knows. Sure, the games may be over for Katniss and Peeta, but...