Together Hamesha (MaNan Versi...

By IntricatelyExpressed

Nandini : Ab mei yeh natak aur nahi kar sakti Manik. You and I, it's over Manik. It's over. Two souls, Mani... More

Character Sketch
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
For my Readers
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 20

1K 53 0
By IntricatelyExpressed

At Abhimanyu's house

Abhimanyu was getting dressed to meet Mukti. He stood in front of the mirror while putting on his deodorant. He wore his watch and looked at himself in the mirror. He had a huge smile on his face. 

Abhimanyu : I hope Mukti ko mera surprise acha lage aur aaj woh mujhe maaf kar de. I know mei yeh forgiveness deserve nahi karta hu because maine usse bahut jyaada hurt kia hai. Aur agar woh mujhe maaf nahi karti hai, toh I'll understand. Lekin mei usse manane ke liye kuch bhi karne ke liye taiyaar hu. If I have to, I'll beg in front of her until she forgives me. Now is the time to make amends and I'll do everything in my power to make it all okay. Mukti, I'm coming. Tumhara Abhimanyu aa raha hai. Be ready!

Saying that, he left for the farmhouse with a million hopes in his eyes, completely oblivious of what lay ahead of him.

At the farmhouse

Everyone was in a state of shock after hearing about Manik's potential demise. Tears formed in each of their eyes. A burnt car and a burnt body? Manik's burnt body? They didn't want to believe what they heard, but did they have any other option? Mukti sat on her chair, numb. Her face looked blank. Only one statement invaded her mind : The promise that Manik made to her the previous night, "You're not losing anyone. I promise." Nandini, who was standing near the staircase, felt as if someone had ripped her heart out of her chest. Hot tears blurred her vision and made their way down her cheeks. She mumbled something. A billion thoughts flooded her mind. Nahi. Manik aisa nahi kar sakta hai. Woh mujhe aise chod kar nai jaa sakte hai. Manik me mujhse wada kiya tha. Woh apna wada nai tod sakta hai. As she tried to walk forward, her feet staggered. In an attempt to balance herself, she caught hold of a nearby table but in the process, knocked down the vase on it. It fell to pieces on the ground. Alya and Navya got up from their seats and rushed towards Nandini. The news had left everyone aghast but they couldn't even come to comprehend what Nandini must be going through. They sure were devastated, but Nandini was their top priority, given her condition. They held her by her shoulders and helped her keep her feet to the ground. The inspector questioned on the phone again.

Inspector : Hello? Miss Mukti? Hello?

Cabir composed himself and picked up Mukti's phone that had fallen on the table. He put the speaker off and pressed it against his ear.

Cabir : Hello, yes Inspector. This is Cabir speaking.

… 

Cabir : His name is Manik Malhotra. He's our friend.

Cabir shut his eyes in pain. If what the inspector said was true, his best friend was no more? Cabir refused to believe it. It was just yesterday when they got to know about Nandini's tumor. Manik had left but come back safe and sound. Was Nandini's fear an indication of…?  His trance was broken when the inspector said something again.

Cabir : I'm sorry, what?

...

Cabir : Okay inspector. I'll be there. Thank you. 

He disconnected the call. 

Dhruv : (trying to control his sobs) Kya.. Kya bola inspector ne? 

Cabir : He said that we have to go for the bo.. body's iden.. identification. 

Cabir stammered as if voicing out about Manik's death would make it all come true. Mukti started laughing satirically. All of them looked at her in horror. Mukti got up from her seat.

Mukti : Come on guys! Don't tell me y'all believe all this. It's crap guys. Manik ko kuch nahi hua hai. He's completely alright. 

Aryamann : What? Mukti yeh tum kya bol rahi ho? Abhi toh inspector ne...

Mukti cut him off.

Mukti : Come on yaar Aryamann, tum toh kal the naa jab Manik ne mujhse promise kiya tha that I won't lose anyone? All of you guys were there. Aur tum sab jaante ho ki Manik apne promises kabhi nahi todta hai. Usne mujhse promise kia hai. So he's not dead. Inspector ne jo kuch bhi bola, woh sab jhooth hai. I'm telling y'all naa. Manik is not dead. He's alive. He'll come back. He has promised. He has to come back. 

The news of Manik's death had left Mukti in such a state of shock that she acted as if she was incredulous to the fact that Manik was no more. Cabir got up from his seat and went towards Mukti. He held her by her shoulders. 

Cabir : Dekh Mukti, inspector ne ho kuch bhi kaha woh sach hai. Manik ab…

Before Cabir could complete his statement, Mukti spoke. 

Mukti : Nahi Cabir. Mei keh rahi hu naa. Manik ko kuch nahi hua hai. Woh waapas aayega. Usne mujhse wada kia hai. 

Mukti's brain had completely lost touch with reality. Her heart had refused to accept the truth. Dhruv and Aryamann looked at Mukti with dilated eyes. They shared a look of concern with Cabir. More tears streamed down Navya and Alya's eyes, seeing Mukti's condition. Nandini stayed rooted to her place like a statue. She had stopped listening to anything, a long time ago. Her tears had dried up. A lone tear escaped Cabir's eye. He couldn't believe fate was playing such cruel games with them. First, Abhimanyu's cancer, then Nandini's tumor, then Manik's disappearance, his burnt car and body and now, Mukti's non-acceptance of the actuality. Cabir looked straight into her eyes and spoke firmly.

Cabir : Mukti, Manik is no more. That is the truth.

Mukti shoved Cabir's hands away and shouted.

Mukti : MAINE KAHA NA CABIR, MANIK KO KUCH NAHI HUA HAI. TU MERI BAAT SAMAJH KYU NAHI RAHA HAI?

She looked at him with anger in her eyes. Cabir held her strongly by her shoulders. He shook her violently and screamed so that she could grasp the reality. 

Cabir : MUKTI, MANIK IS NO MORE. HE. IS. DEAD. 

Cabir emphasized on each word. He left her. He shut his eyes in anguish and pinched the bridge of his nose in exhaustion. He was crumbling to pieces on the inside but he didn't show it outwardly. Mukti's legs wobbled on hearing Cabir's words. As she was about to fall, Dhruv caught her. Tears had brimmed her eyes. She looked up at Dhruv, expecting that he would tell her that Cabir's words were untrue. Dhruv shook his head in denial. The tears streamed down Mukti's face. She hugged Dhruv and let out a loud cry. Dhruv held her tightly so that she wouldn't fall to the ground. Cabir's steely voice didn't only break Mukti's trance but Nandini's too. But this time, her face held fury, not sadness. She swiftly walked towards Cabir. Alya and Navya tried to stop her but their pleas fell on deaf ears. Nandini fiercely turned Cabir around and before Cabir could understand what was going on, she slapped him right across his cheek. The noise radiated off of the walls. Everyone present in the room gasped and gaped at Nandini in disbelief. Instinctively, Cabir's hand went up to his cheek, that now stung due to Nandini's smack. A stinging pain spread through Nandini's palm but that was the least of her concerns right now. Cabir looked up at her. As he straightened himself, she fisted her hands on Cabir's collar and yelled at him with rage in her voice. 

Nandini : MANIK IS NOT DEAD CABIR. YEH KYA 'HE IS DEAD, HE IS DEAD LAGA RAKHA HAI?' WOH ZINDA HAI. 

Nandini left Cabir's collar. A set of fresh tears started to flow from her eyes. She looked at her feet on the ground. 

Nandini : Woh zinda hai. Usse kuch nahi hua hai. Woh zinda hai. 

Her voice was barely audible. She kept on blubbering incoherent sentences. Everyone was still reeling from the shock of what had happened a few moments ago. All of a sudden, the floor seemed blurry to Nandini. She didn't know whether it was her tears or something else. Her brain started spinning in circles. She brought her fingers to her temples. She blinked her eyes, several times, in order to get a clearer view. But before she knew it, her legs gave up and she fell unconscious on the ground with a thud. Everyone's eyes widened at the sight of an unconscious Nandini. Alya's hands flew to her mouth. But before any of them could react, they heard a loud screech, 

"NANDINIIIII…" 

When they all looked at the owner of that voice, they were left dumbfounded. It was Manik's voice. 

(A. N. - Guys, if y'all remember, Manik came back with Abhimanyu on his bike and not in his car🙈)

He had just reached the farmhouse and was standing at the entrance with a bouquet of roses. The enormous smile on his face died down the moment he saw Nandini's limp body on the floor. The bouquet of roses fell from his hands. The roses were crushed under his feet as he ran towards Nandini's motionless form. He sat down near her and took her head in his lap. He tapped her cheeks.

Manik : Nandini? Aakhein kholo Nandini. 

Manik tried to wake her up but to no avail. The others just stared at him. Was he really here in front of them? Or was all of this just an illusion? How many more shocks awaited them? Was this the last of it or were there more? They didn't know.

Manik turned his head towards them. 

Manik : Guys, Nandini ko kya hua hai? Woh aakhein kyu nahi khol rahi hai?

When none of them responded, he spoke in a louder voice. 

Manik : Guys? Mei kuch puch raha hu. Cabir? Mukti? Alya? Dhruv? Tumlog kuch bologe ya aise hi bhoot bankar khade rahoge? Kya hua hai Nandini ko?

He turned back towards Nandini and tried to coax her into opening her eyes. 

Manik : Please aakhein kholo, Nandini. Dekho mei hu. Tumhara Manik. Nandini please aakhein kholo. I'm sorry mei tumhe aise bina bataye chala gaya. Please, open your eyes. GOD DAMNIT NANDINI. OPEN YOUR EYES. Please. Please apni aakhein kholo.

He touched his forehead with hers and tears started streaming down his face. He felt helpless, seeing her eyes closed and her body not moving a muscle. Cabir was the first one to jolt out of the shock. 

Cabir : Manik, I think it's because of the tumor. Pehle bhi toh aisa ho chuka hai. 

As realization dawned on him, he looked up. He didn't waste a second more and quickly picked Nandini up in his arms. 

Manik : We need to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Cabir, gaadi nikal.

Manik started moving towards the car with Cabir at his heel. Everyone had a million questions travelling through their minds about Manik being alive but right now, getting Nandini to the hospital was their prime concern. Everything else could wait. They all rushed behind them. Cabir sat on the driver's seat and Mukti sat beside him. Manik sat behind with Nandini's head on his lap. Cabir started the car and they zoomed off to the hospital. The others followed them in another car. 

In the car 

Manik : Cabir please jaldi chala. (Turning towards Nandini) Nandini please wake up. Please. 

Manik shut his eyes to prevent himself from breaking down. A teardrop from Manik's eye fell on Nandini's cheek. 

Mukti : Manik, tu shaant ho jaa. Nandini ko kuch nai hoga. Hum bas pahuchne hi wale hai. Please apne aap ko sambhal. Nandini ko teri zarurat hai. 

They reached the hospital and Manik ran inside with a limp Nandini in his arms. He screamed at the top of his lungs for a doctor.

Manik : DOCTOR… DOCTOR..

Manik kept on shouting. A ward boy came towards him with a stretcher. Manik put Nandini on the stretcher. Meanwhile, Mukti and Cabir followed by the others came in. Dr. Arohi spotted a worried Manik and sprinted towards him.

Arohi : Manik what happened to Nandini?

Manik : I.. I don't know. Woh achanak se behosh ho gayi. Please look at her naa. Woh apni aakhein hi nai khol rahi hai. Please.. please Nandini ko bacha lo. Usse kuch nahi hona chahiye. Please..

Manik's voice cracked as he pleaded for Nandini's life. 

Dr. Arohi : Manik please calm down. Tell me kya hua tha? Kuch aisa hua tha jisse Nandini ko bahut zyada stress hua ho? Woh definitely issi wajah se unconscious hogayi hogi. Bolo Manik.

Manik : Wo.. woh su.. subah me.. mei.. 

Manik's brain had stopped forming words. He couldn't speak. Seeing Nandini's lifeless figure on the stretcher was overwhelming his mind with all sorts of fatalistic thoughts. Aryamann came ahead and started narrating the incidents that took place in the morning.

Aryamann : Doctor woh actually aaj subah Manik ke phone se Mukti ko ek call aaya tha. Instead of Manik, it was some inspector that spoke. 

Manik's head jolted in Aryamann's direction at the mention of the word "Inspector." Aryamann continued.

Aryamann : He said that they had found the phone near a burnt car and they had also found a burnt body. And since it was Manik's phone, we all assumed that Manik was..

Aryamann didn't complete his statement. He glimpsed at Manik and turned back to face Dr. Arohi. 

Aryamann : Nandini couldn't take the news and suddenly, she fainted.

Manik listened carefully to each and every word that left Aryamann's mouth. The only questions running through his mind were, ‘His car caught fire? Nandini thought he was dead? Was he responsible for Nandini's state?’ While all these suppositions were occupying Manik's mind,

Dr. Arohi : I think it would have come as a major shock to Nandini to hear that something so dreadful had happened to Manik. I partially think that's the reason for her unconsciousness. We'll have to run some tests to know anything for sure. I'll take Nandini for the tests. You guys please complete the formalities and stay in the waiting room. I'll let y'all know the test results soon. 

With that Dr. Arohi took Nandini with her. Manik was about to go behind them when Mukti held his arm.

Mukti : Manik, Dr. Arohi Nandini ka dhyaan rakhengi. 

Manik stood still in his position. 

Manik : Yeh sab meri wajah se hua hai. Yeh sab meri galti hai. Mei Nandini ki iss halat ka zimmedar hu. Agar maine apna promise nahi toda hota toh yeh sab nai hota. It's all my fault. 

Saying this, Manik fell to his knees on the ground. He hid his face in his palms and cried. He kept on repeating only one statement, ‘It's all my fault.’ Everyone's heart ached on seeing Manik's devastated condition. Mukti bent down besides him and kept a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Mukti : Manik, teri koi galti nai hai. Nandini ko kuch nai hoga. Woh thik ho jaayegi. Tu please apne aap ko blame karna bandh kar. 

Mukti hugged him tightly and Manik sobbed like a baby in her arms. He stammered. 

Manik : Aga.. agar Nan.. Nandini ko kuch hua to.. toh mei ap.. apne aap ko ka.. kabhi maaf nai kar paa.. paaunga. 

He broke into sobs again. She kept on rubbing his back to ease some of his pain. Mukti asked others to help her, through her eyes. Cabir and Dhruv sat beside them and hugged Manik too. Once his sobs subsided, they tried to pull him back to his feet. They made him sit on a nearby chair. Manik had become a mess. Dhruv sat beside him. Alya brought a water bottle and offered it to Manik. He drank some of it. Manik was surrounded by everyone.

Dhruv : Manik tu please tension mat le. Tu Nandini ka support system hai. Tu aise nai bikhar sakta hai. Tujhe strong rehna hoga. Nandini ke liye. Aur Nandini strong hai. She'll be fine.

Alya : Haa Manik. Jab tak hum sab uske saath hai, usse kuch nai hoga. Hum best doctors ko bulayenge uske treatment ke liye. We won't let anything happen to her.

They all tried to lift up his spirits. Manik looked at all of them. He felt blessed to have such great friends. They were there to support him when he needed them the most. He wiped off his tears with the back of his hand. He had to be strong. For Nandini. He couldn't fall weak. He has to be there for her when she needs him.

Cabir : Manik, ek baat bata. Teri gaadi ko aag lag gayi thi. Police ko tera phone gaadi ke paas se mila. Agar gaadi mei tu nai tha toh kaun tha? Aur tu ghar waapis kaise aaya?

Manik glanced at Cabir.

Manik : Mujhe nahi pata Cabir. Aaj subah mei gaadi lekar gaya hi nahi tha. 

Mukti : Tu gaya kaha tha Manik? 

Manik : Mei..

Before Manik could complete his sentence, Dhruv noticed something and cut him off.

Dhruv : Manik, tujhe yeh forehead par chot kaise lagi? 

Everyone's gaze went to Manik's forehead. They had been so worried that they had failed to notice the bandage on Manik's forehead. Manik's hand went to the wound that Nandini had dressed, the previous night. 

Mukti : Manik, bata na. Yeh chot kaise lagi tujhe?

Manik : Woh actually, kal raat ko mera ek chota sa accident hogaya tha. 

Mukti : WHAT? Manik, tune hume bataya kyu nahi? Tu thik hai na Manik?

Mukti was going frantic. She started examining Manik for any other injuries or wounds. 

Manik : Mukti relax. Mei thik hu. Nandini tended to my wounds yesterday night. 

On taking Nandini's name, his mind wandered back to all those moments that he had spent with her the previous night. They had been so happy. Everything had felt surreal. But one of the memories pricked his heart. The memory of the promise that he had made to Nandini. The promise he broke this morning. And for that, he won't ever be able to forgive himself.

*Flashback*

Manik and Nandini were lying snuggly in each other's arms. Nandini's head was on Manik's chest as she listened to his heartbeats. Manik was carelessly playing with a strand of Nandini's hair. 

Nandini : Manik? 

Manik hummed in response, indicating her to speak ahead and continued playing with her hair. 

Nandini : Yeh sab sapna toh nahi hai na Manik? 

Manik was surprised at Nandini's question. He moved a little away from her to get a better view of her face, still holding her by her waist. 

Manik : Tum aisa kyu puch rahi ho Nandini?

Nandini looked straight into his eyes. 

Nandini : Pata nahi Manik. Aisa lag raha hai ki kal jab mei subah aakhein kholungi toh yeh sab kuch sirf ek khoobsurat sa sapna bankar reh jaayega. Aur tum yaha nahi hoge. 

Nandini's lashes dropped. Manik cupped her cheek. 

Manik : Yeh koi sapna nahi hai Nandini. Yeh sach hai. Hamara khoobsurat sa sach. Aur isse na tum badal sakti ho na mei. Kal subah jab tum apni aakhein khologi, mujhe apne saamne paogi. Mei kahi nahi jaa raha hu. Aur naa hi tumhe jaane dunga. Ab tum mujhse hamesha ke liye bandh gayi ho. Aur tumhe mujhe poori life jhelna padega. Tumhare paas aur koi option nahi hai. 

Manik tried to lighten the tense air that surrounded the room. Nandini laughed a little at his last statement. Seeing her laugh, Manik smiled ear to ear. 

Nandini : Promise naa? Tum kahi nahi jaaoge?

Nandini asked, still unsure.

Manik : I promise Nandini. When you open your eyes in the morning, I'll be right in front of you. 

He kissed her forehead and brought her close to his chest. Nandini closed her eyes and hugged him back, tightly. Manik placed another soft kiss on her crown. 

Manik : Ab so jaao. Bahut late hogaya hai. 

Nandini nodded and they both drifted off to sleep in each other's arms. 

*Flashback ends*

Manik was brought out of his reverie when Mukti shook him by his shoulder. He glanced in her direction. She was now seated beside him.

Mukti : Kaha kho gaya Manik? Cabir kuch puch raha hai. 

Manik : Huh? Sorry kya?

He looked towards Cabir. 

Cabir : I asked ki agar teri gaadi ka accident hogaya tha toh tu farmhouse par waapas kaise aaya?

Before Manik could reply, he saw a team of inspectors walking towards them. He got up from his seat, followed by Mukti and Dhruv. The others turned around. One of the senior inspectors came and stood in front of them.

Inspector : Aap mei se Cabir kaun hai?

Hebasked. Cabir came forward.

Cabir : Mei hu Cabir. 

Inspector : Hello, I'm Inspector Deshmukh. Thodi der pehle hamari baat hui thi.

Cabir : Ji Inspector. 

The inspector turned to his subordinates who handed him a plastic bag. The bag contained Manik's phone. After taking the bag, he turned back to Cabir.

Inspector : Hum Mr. Malhotra ki last location par gaye the. Lekin waha ke watchman se hume pata chala ki aap sab yaha hai isliye hum yaha aagaye.  I'm sorry for your loss. Lekin hume kuch routine sawaal karne honge. I know this is not the right time but if you don't mind, can I? 

Before Cabir could reply to his question, a voice came from behind.

"Uski zarurat nahi padegi Inspector. Mr. Malhotra aapke saamne khade hai." 

Mukti gripped Manik's hand when she caught sight of the possessor of that voice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 108K 65
****Can be read as a general fiction. If you want an arrange marriage tale with humor, emotions and love, hop in right away**** Love is supposed to b...
363K 17.7K 40
Manik Malhotra invested each second of his life making money as for him it was the key to dominance and power...a man with a brain bit no emotions! N...
19.9K 1.7K 16
Nandini: We're Best Friends, right? Manik: Yes, of course. Nandini: So be honest with me. Who do you like? Manik: No one. I love someone. Nandini: oh...
191K 13.7K 41
Childhood best friends but got separated. They meet after 12 years. They fell in love. They were about to tie with each other with auspicious nupt...