Play No More (Player Next Doo...

By BabyInACorner

Sequel to Player Next Door. Millie Ripley is in too deep. Her relationship with the Dawson brothers is crea... More

01 | Criminal
02 | Trademark
03 | Handshake
04 | Bartender
05 | Bad boy gone
06 | More than friends
07 | Wrong Romeo
08 | Who's Millie?
09 | Crush Not Crushed
10 | Queasy
11 | Sock
12 | Funeral
13 | Back Up
14 | First Time
15 | All On Me
16 | Boombox
17 | We Don't Play
18 | Want a ride?
19 | Everyone Knows
20 | Fortune Teller
21 | Dysfunctional
22 | Jake House
23 | Your Selfish Jerk
24 | Might be Missing
25 | Bridal Style
27 | Winnifred
28 | Ghost of ex-boyfriends past
29 | Play-doh
30 | Drama, not theater
31 | Smile and Scowl
32 | Personal
33 | Dislocate
34 | Glue
35 | Miss Bo Peep
36 | Luke's POV
37 | Butterflies
38 | No Trophy
39 | This far before
40 | Eye Contact
41 | Pass the torch
42 | Trending
43 | Past, Present and Future
44 | Single pringle
45 | Wrong drawer
46 | Too young, too fast
47 | Dreamlike
48 | Fallen
49 | It's cold
50 | Bake, not roast
51 | Which way's up?
52 | My Party
53 | Round two
54 | Looney
55 | My helicopter license
56 | All Things Luke
57 | Dinner from hell
58 | Compass
59 | Slow down
60 | He said we
61 | Siren Call
62 | Stargaze
63 | ONE
64 | Shakespeare
65 | Pass Him By
66 | Symbol of urgency
67 | He Said
68 | Reaction
69 | In Bed
70 | Nine Chances
71 | Small Town
72 | Thief to his clothes
73 | Peas in a pod
74 | Home run
75 | First Last Day
76 | Change It
77 | Morning person
78 | Fairy Godmother
79 | Abandoned
80 | Curiosity
81 | A happy place
82 | Therapy
83 | Two instead of one
84 | Aftermath
85 | Cherry on top
86 | Spirit
87 | Too Strong
88 | Twilight zone
89 | Prove yourself
90 | Anonymous
91 | Sucked in
92 | Long List
93 | Lost your head
94 | A burden
95 | A nano-second
96 | Haggler
97 | Still Here
98 | Oud
99 | Lucky
100 | Lost boy
101 | Stoke the fire
102 | Tremble
103 | Mildred
What's next

26 | Experiment

166K 6.6K 8.3K
By BabyInACorner

Dramatic poster to begin the chapter!  @NIKIbookgram, you have given me so many gorgeous posters to choose from - thank you!

We're beginning this chapter with a little rewind back to Friday, after Luke and Millie left Bianca at her house.  There's a bit more to her side that I wanted to cover...

Chapter 26: Experiment

~Bianca's POV~

"Do you know what it feels like to have the guy you love, turn your back on you?" I asked her.

I dragged my suitcase back into my house, throwing it down on the living room floor.

I can't believe I spent the last forty minutes of my life packing the cutest outfits for a weekend that didn't even happen. It's humiliating.

"No, I haven't," Jamie said, "And I don't know why you called me. You have a lot of girl friends-"

"I called you because you know Luke," I snapped back, "Whether you like it or not, you and I have been through this before."

"You mean the time we almost released that photo of Millie to the whole school? That was not my finest moment," Jamie replied, standing uncomfortably in my living room.

She dressed like a boy, with baggy shirt and jeans. I know her dad's the basketball coach, but why didn't she make an effort?

"Can you at least call Oma?" she asked me, "She was with us-"

"No," I insisted, walking up to Jamie so her dim little head would get it, "Oma is too righteous for this and all my friends think I'm staying at Luke's cabin this weekend."

"Bianca, we aren't really friends," Jamie said, "You never talk to me at school."

I glanced up at the clock on the wall. It was almost 3PM. My parents would be home in two hours and the fighting would begin. They've decided to get a divorce and it was getting ugly.

She sighed. "I used to feel that way about him too. Like a normal day would become amazing if he told me he liked my outfit-"

I snorted at that. Luke would never say that to her.

Jamie ignored me, "And some days he'd forget I exist. Those weren't good days."

"You don't know him like I do," I told her, a little patronizing but she deserved it.

She was a naïve girl who idolized Luke. He came over to her house every week for dinner with her and her dad. She thought they had a bond. How cute.

"Luke and I are a match," I informed her, "He and I... we're popular. We've dated other people and we've dated each other. I mean, look at us. We're the perfect image."

Why has he changed his mind?

We're cut from the same cloth, him and I. We're both shamelessly superficial, overly confident, sometimes aggressive and always good looking.

He doesn't need to pretend like he's a better man when he's around me.

I wasn't lying when I told Millie that he will grow tired of her. That's what he does. He finds a new plaything, plays... and then chucks it.

"I'm sorry Bianca," Jamie said to me, "It hurts and it sucks. Luke doesn't belong to one girl and he never will. That's the problem with a boy like him. He's too handsome for his own good."

Unattractive people always say that jocks peak in high school. Luke throws that stereotype off. He's popular, life is easy for him and he's got a chance at getting into the NBA. 

I've been with him through it all.  I can see myself sitting front row at one of his NBA games in the future. Now that he's gotten accepted to his dream school, that dream is a step closer.

"That's OK, Jamie. Seeing you reminds me that things could always be worse." I didn't mean that as an insult. It was just the truth.

Jamie was the type of girl who would secretly pine for Luke and stay trapped in the friend zone with 0 chance of getting him.

Luke is experimenting right now. His thing with Millie is an experiment.

He dated a model this summer. Now he decided to dip into the opposite end of the spectrum. He went for the shock factor. And I'm sure she's doing whatever he wants. She wears hair ties around her wrist.

But he'll come back to what he knows best.

I know why I called Jamie. I felt a bit lonely and embarrassed and I couldn't tell anyone else because it would hurt my image.

No one should believe Bianca Rodriguez can be lonely. My DMs are permanently lit, and I have half the school on my phone. Well, the half that counts.

But now I'm over it.  Luke still hasn't realized that I've grown feelings. He just thinks I want to keep things light between us. I know he's been waiting for us to mature, so that when we date, we don't mess it up.

I picked up my phone.

Sometimes, all you have to do is forget what you feel and remember what you deserve. The person I was calling picked up.

"Surprised to hear me?" I flirted on the phone, "Remember at the grotto last year, when we made a mistake and I told you it would never happen again?.... Yeah, well, how about we make another mistake?... You have a fancy car. Why don't you come pick me up and take me back to yours?"

I smiled as I hung up. That was too easy.

Jamie left my house and it felt a bit too quiet. My confidence was rising and falling. I knew deep down that Luke and I were ideal together. But Luke has this unpredictable side.  A side that does and says things I never expect - and I don't know how to deal with it. 

I was better than her in every way.

I stared at myself in the mirror and wondered what part of me wasn't attractive enough. I put on a lot of make-up today: foundation, lip gloss, mascara. He hadn't said anything about that.

She ruined it for me. But revenge is a familiar friend. I picked up my phone again. I had one more call to make.

**

~Millie's POV~

This was the end of our weekend in the forest. A momentary escape from reality, sheltered from judgement and change.

Annika was in good spirits about her twisted ankle and Jake joined her with a wounded leg. They hobbled into the car they came here with and got ready for the journey home.

Luke chucked our duffel bags in the back of his black jeep wrangler.

While he did all the work, I checked that the air freshener was working. Yep. Working.

"Let's talk when you get back," Mr Dawson told him, "You need to sign that LOI."

I'm guessing that meant Letter of Intent. I had googled it after Luke told me about the Kentucky Wildcats. I wanted to learn more about the pressures of his basketball-shaped world.

"I packed you some sandwiches for the road," Mrs Dawson said, handing him an orange cooler bag.

His parents may be overbearing and overprotective, but they loved him. I think my mom does too, but she has an odd way of showing it.

"Let's go Minnie," Luke tilted his head in the direction of the car, ignoring the sentimental moment, "You're DJ."

**

If anyone thinks I'm afraid of dancing in a car, they are wrong. Luke was driving and I didn't care if he thought my dancing looked like jello shaking.

He was meant to be focusing on the road anyway.

Otherwise, I know a great driver who can take over. AKA me.

"You want me to drop you off at home?" he asked, as the familiar streets started to come into view.

I saw the horizon lined with gray pavements and plain detached houses. We were back.

"Uh... yes please. Where are you going?" I asked, finishing the last of Mrs Dawson's delicious sandwiches.

She'd put chicken, avocado, crispy lettuce and sauce between toasted bread. Some serious Masterchef moves.

"Aren't you meant to be seeing your dad?" I chewed and swallowed, "You know, for the LOI thing?"

"My dad and coach have been pushing me to sign ever since we received it," he sighed, turning the music down, "But there's one more person I want to speak to first."

"Who?" I asked, curious to know who he'd say.

Maybe me?

"Chris Hayes."

**

If there was anyone who knew what Luke was going through, it was Christopher Hayes. They were both star athletes, desperate for their chance to make it.

And competitors...

Turned friends?

I'd like to think that deep down I had a little something to do with that.

Luke dropped my duffel bag at the entrance of my home.

"Hi Mrs Ripley," he called out to my mom who was giving herself a pedicure on the dining room table.

"Luke!" she exclaimed, throwing her bare foot off the table and fixing her hair. 

If only his parents would approve of me as quickly as mine did of him.

She called out to him again, but he very gently and subtly closed the door on her. 

Luke and I stood at the threshold of my front door. His hands softly caressed my face and he kissed me.

"I'll see you later, Minnie."

"Will you let me know what you decide?" I asked him, touching his hand as it pulled back from around me.

I wanted to share in the burden. He's always offered to take on mine. All my complaints, he finds them out and makes them go away.

"I will," he promised.

Maybe he was trying to open up.

I didn't want him to leave. Luke was a comforting force. Standing there in his hoodie with his blue eyes vibrant from a weekend out in nature, I was struck by how much he calmed me.  

I knew the mystery blackmailer-turned-cat-killer was out there and probably plotting a new move.  

Bianca certainly was.  

And I was going to have to face my ex-boyfriend this week, at our mathlete competition.  Julia would probably be there too.  I guess Luke had his burdens and I had mine.

A/N: I saw the comment section light up with the shower scene in the last chapter.  You wanted to know some things about Millie... which will be answered in the next chapter ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.8K 1.1K 10
𝘫𝘢𝘭𝘦𝘯 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘯'𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘳?
517K 69 1
Rosalie Evan (Rose) is a high schooler girl living a teenager life. She develops a crush on a guy that she thinks she will never have a chance with...
36.5K 1.2K 26
!REWRITING! Inspired by: RobenChan3 Sun Wukong and Macaque × Mitsuri!Reader "I remember now! I was searching for a worthy man... But I was also searc...
136K 6K 71
Well this wasn't what I expected when I died. It's not the best but not the worst either. New goals for this life you may ask. 1. Survive 2. Save ev...