The Art of Falling

By jowanderstruck

There are a hundred ways to love and a thousand ways to fall. More

The Art of Falling
Part 1- 1: UCaf
2: Carlyle's Finest
3: Chemistry
4: Saviour
5: School Fair
6: Eye Contact
7: Confession Cake
8: Tweets
9: Team Building
10: Bonfire
11: Lost
12: Enchanted
13: Birthday Eve
14: Miss You
15: Boyfriends
16: Rain
17: Best Friend
18: Sweet
19: Polaroid
20: Different
21: Trouble in Paradise
22: Second Chances
23: Javier Family
24: Championship
25: Going Away
Part 2- 26: Medicine
27: Papa
29- End

28: First Day

32 2 0
By jowanderstruck

28: First Day

Present

Remember that giddy anxious excited feeling during the first day of school? That's exactly how I was feeling right now. Only I'm not going to school. At least not exactly.

I looked forward to this day for as long as I remember. The clothes I would be wearing were ironed to perfection last night. My bag was triple checked to make sure I had everything I needed. I even have a new pair of shoes waiting to be worn.

I was wide awake before my alarm went off. Buti nga nakatulog pa ako sa kabila ng sobrang excitement. I showered, got dressed and drank my first cup of coffee. Then, I was ready to go.

It was a challenge to find a house that was near the hospital. Luckily, I had friends of friends who know someone who knows someone who had a perfect place for me. Making connections proved to be helpful when it comes to these things. Since I lived a few minutes away from my workplace, I don't feel guilty about booking a ride. I didn't want to be late or look haggard on my first day so no commuting for me this morning.           

Samuel Private Hospitals is the largest hospital network in the country. It's also the partner hospital of Carlyle University. Although students from CU usually do practicums, internships and clerkships at the smaller branches. This would be the first time I'd be working at the big hospital. That's why I was feeling ecstatic but tensed at the same time.

I got offered residency programs from different hospitals in Manila, Baguio and other cities. I accepted the offer from SPH. I was their scholar after all.

We had an orientation and mixer last week so I've met some of the other residents. We were also given our group assignments according to our chosen specialty.

In my group, there's Jenny and Desmond who also graduated from Carlyle so we knew each other already. There's Patrick from Herald University in Baguio then Gia and Tom from Morgan, the rival school of Carlyle. We were assigned to Dra. Devina, a cardiothoracic surgeon in her last year as a resident. Rumour has it that she is one of the toughest doctors in the hospital. Everyone in the hospital was scared of her, attending physicians included. Thanks to those rumours, we knew it would be good for our health not to be on her bad side.

Those rumours were not rumours at all. It was all true. Dra. Devina was brutally straightforward and strict. She had that permanent arched brows and resting bitch face. She looked intimidating but when she speaks, her confidence and brilliance comes out. Her words were both inspiring and commanding. She amazed and terrified me at the same time. She laid out her rules and what to expect as first year residents.

"Jess!" Tom called so I halted.

"Sa cafeteria kami magla-lunch. Sabay kayo?" I invited.  Gia looked like she was hesitating to join us.

Our morning went quite smoothly. We met the chief of general surgery, heads of the different departments and some of the attendings we crossed paths with during the short tour. We got to join the morning rounds and study the new patients' charts.

"You know what? I've been trying to figure out where I saw you before." sabi sa akin ni Tom kaya napatingin tuloy silang lahat sa akin. "You looked so familiar during the mixer."

"Baka sabay tayo nag-NMAT." Sa pagkakatanda ko, ngayon lang kami nagkakilala. Sa mgaka-ibang ospital kami nag-internship. Hindi ko naman binanggit na Top 5 ako sa boards. Sila mismo ang bumati sa akin.

"Naisip ko na rin yan but no e." He looked like he was really thinking about this hard. "I know!" He clapped his hands. "You're Celeste's ex-girlfriend! Tama 'di ba?"

I didn't respond.  "You're that Jessica Javier?" Gia asked with a shock expression.

"I knew it! Ha! I can't believe I met the girl who made us lose the championship that year."

"Ano?"

"Yup. You're the reason Morgan lost to Carlyle. Basketball championship 20**. I'll never forget that year."

"Anong kinalaman ko dun e hindi naman ako player?"

We waited for Tom to explain how the hell did I make his team lose the championship years ago. As he was one of the players, he witnessed the whole varsity jacket scene. Their team knew that there was no way they could beat Carlyle. Caeus was that inspired to win. Even their captain told them to just enjoy the game.

It happened so long ago. I barely remember that day but Tom recalled the story like it happened yesterday. He was about to say more when my phone rang. I was grateful for the interruption. I mean reliving the past wasn't exactly my thing.

"Excuse me." I turned sideward to answer my phone.

"I'm at the cafeteria."

"O, san ka banda? Nandito kami sa may gilid." I raised one hand when I saw him by the entrance. The hospital canteen was like a food court so it was crowded.

"Okay, I see you. Be there in five."

I hang up and faced the table and my companions. Fortunately, they were talking about something else. I saw Xander walking to his favourite kiosk. As it was my first day, he wanted to eat lunch with me.

"Grabe ang gwapo talaga ni Doc Xander." The nurse from the table beside us commented loudly that they caught my attention. They were eyeing Xander who was still queueing at the counter.

"Kaya nga! Kaso suplado, 'di namamansin. Tignan mo si Nurse Lily. Isang taon na siyang nililigawan pero basted pa rin."

I think the whole hospital knew about Nurse Lily having a huge crush on Xander. I'm quite impressed with her persistence. Xander was still an intern when Lily started crushing on him. She gives him love letters, baked goods and other stuff. Like she was really pursuing Xander. Of course, he was apathetic about it.

One time, I told him to give the woman a chance. Lily seemed beautiful, smart and patient. He got really upset and refused to talk to me for two days.

The nurse laughed and continued to talk about Xander. The Xander they know was the exact Xander I knew years ago. Smart and competent but serious and at times, snobbish. Well, Xander was still like that. Though I see his social skills have improved over the years.

"OMG! Si Doc Xander papunta dito." shrilled one of them. Then, they looked shocked that Xander sat right beside me.

I introduced Tom, Gia and Patrick to Xander but of course, they knew him already. His father is the hospital director after all. Xander's family picture was in the hallway of the hospital office floor. I'm pretty sure they've seen it. It was crazy.

The nurses' table turned silent. Ours too. I'm used to seeing this reaction from people when they see Xander. Even Mama and my Titas were overwhelmed when they met him for the first time. He's quite the head turner, you see. When he walks into a room, it was impossible for everyone not to stare.

People talk about him more because he's the silent mysterious type. Everyone was so curious about him but they never approach him. Nurse Lily was the only exception. He has the tendency to be intimidating too. He shows his gentle side only to few people and his patients.

Xander was also a man of few words but he loved giving remarks that will make you think. It was his special skill. He had a knack for snarky remarks which made him kind of mean person to people who didn't know him.

I remembered the comments he made that I never understood before. Like why suddenly he was asking me if I forgot to bathe. Apparently, he saw me running and jumping in the rain. It was years ago but Xander vividly remembered it.

We laughed about the things that happened before. That time that I got lost in the mountain, I was so scared so I cried and blamed him. I told him about the time I cried because I had a crush on him and he likes someone else. I cringe every time I remember how much of a cry baby I was.

Xander also knew about Wyatt. I thought he'd find it creepy that I named the panda that he gave me after his second name. He only said it was cute. I caught him talking to Wyatt a few times. He even hugged it to sleep when he fell asleep on my bed after studying.

When we look back at all the things that happened to us before, we try to laugh about it and think of what we learned. At least, that's what therapy wants us to do. It's hard but we're trying. I'm trying.

People often wonder how did Xander and I become so close. Even my best friends don't understand. Xander became my rock. I can't imagine my life without him. He knew me inside out. He knew all my secrets. He knew me better than anyone else even more than I knew myself. I didn't expect to get to know him this well too. At least I liked to believe that I knew what every mannerism, gesture and facial expression meant. I was able to see through that handsome face and silent type personality of his.

Xander will always be that person who I never thought I needed. I truly believed that fate brings people together for a reason. It was fate who brought Xander into my life when I least expected it and needed him the most. For that I will be forever grateful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.1M 225K 36
Meg is a bitch--and she continues to be one upon knowing that Daniel only married her for his wealthy grandfather's inheritance. But when secrets fro...