HOW TO SAVE A LIFE | grey's a...

By -stylessolo

๐‡๐Ž๐– ๐“๐Ž ๐’๐€๐•๐„ ๐€ ๐‹๐ˆ๐…๐„ โ†ณ by -๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘ฆ๐‘™๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘œ โ€ž... More

how to save a life
โ”โ”โ” oo. graphics
โ”โ” oo. prologue
โ”โ” act one
โ”โ” ii. testing the limits
โ”โ” iii. cutting deep
โ”โ” iv. spilling a secret
โ”โ” v. sister life

โ”โ” i. meeting the nazi

1.7K 58 13
By -stylessolo

chapter one
meeting the nazi
{ 1x01 - A Hard Day's Night }

WAKING UP AT 6 O'CLOCK WAS NORMAL FOR RUBY NOW. Hurrying to the kitchen in Dereks trailer, she wondered where he was. Today was her first day as an intern at the Seattle Grace Memorial Hospital and Derek was nowhere to be found. As she started to make a coffee, Ruby let the last night play review and thought about the moment where a very drunk neuro surgeon left Joe's with a blonde.

Smirking to herself because he for sure had a hangover, she drank the warm drink out of the red cup and put it on the counter. She dressed herself and took her car keys. Going down the stairs in a fast tempo, Ruby made her way to her new car. It wasn't the cheapest on the market, but her Dad insistent on getting her the newest. He would do anything for his princess.

*

Ruby pulled into the parking lot at the hospital and made her way into it. She was way to early and sat in the waiting area. A woman with black hair and light skin took place next to her. Both of them weren't speaking, but Ruby didn't want the silence anymore, which is why she spoke to the woman.

„Hello, my name is Ruby Moore. I don't know if you're also waiting for Doctor Webber, but I didn't wanted to sit in silence anymore. It's pretty boring, you know.", smiling to the korean brunette, Ruby shook hands with her.

„I'm Cristina Yang. And yes I'm also waiting for the chief. Do you have any connections to Doctor Mary Moore, multiple Harper Avery Award Winner and one of the best, well maybe the best, cardio and thoracic surgeon?", Cristina Yang was very excited to see if Ruby was the grandchild of one of her idols. She would never admit it though that she was interested.

Ruby nodded enthusiastically and began to tell Cristina everything about her granny. She started with the presents she always made her (it had always to do with something surgical) and also told her about the lessons Ruby hat with her grandma. Ruby learned everything from her grandma, even though her mother wasn't always happy that her daughter stayed up til 2 in the morning practicing the stitches and remembering everything from the books. But for Ruby it was easy. She always had to read things only once to be able to remember them. Her father always called it a photographic memory.

*

The new interns were all standing in a circle and listening to Dr. Webber's speech.

„Each of you comes here hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you." In the middle of his words, a young blonde woman came to them. She stood next to Ruby and smiled at her apologizing. They all walked to an OR and looked around it.

It wasn't something too special for Ruby. Her grandma always took her with her to watch her operate. Her colleagues though were fascinated by the sight and thought about all the surgeries they are going to do.

Some minutes later, Ruby sat on a bench in a locker room looking at herself in her new scrubs. Her name was on her left breast in small blue letters. Dr. Ruby Moore.

As she still observed herself, a doctor came into the room reading of names from a list.
„Okay. Martin, Robinson, Bond, Parkins."

Ruby sighed and looked behind her at Cristina. „Only seven women out of twenty."

Cristina nodded putting her things in a locker a little bit aggressive. „Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, like that's going to help with the respect thing?"

„You're Cristina and you're Ruby, right?", asked the blonde that came late.

„Which resident you assigned to? We got Bailey. And wait are you the model?"

„What? No, oh my god. But The Nazi? Yeah, me too.", she said annoyed.

„You got the Nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley, uh, we met at the mixer, you had a red dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals...", the two girls exchanged looks, as Ruby raises an eyebrow, not slightly remembering him, "Now you think I'm gay."

In the meantime Ruby was ready and followed Cristina chuckling to herself. At the poor attempt of George trying to explain himself, Ruby laughed even more, which is why Cristina bumped her elbow in her rips.

„No, I'm not gay, it's, ah, it's just that, you know, you were, I mean, you were very, unforgettable."

„It's okay, George, I think we understand.", he smiled gratefully at Ruby.

The doctor read the next names from his list. „O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Stevens. Oh, and Moore."

„Dr Bailey?"

He nodded his head. „End of the hall."

Wondering to herself why Dr. Bailey is named the Nazi, even though she's not very threatening, Ruby looked at Christina.

„That's the Nazi?"

„I thought the Nazi would be a guy.", George asked and spoke out the thoughts that everyone had. They all walked down the hall, Ruby in the back with Cristina, then Meredith and George in the middle and a blonde intern at the front.

„I thought the Nazi would be...the Nazi.", Ruby mumbled to Cristina and Meredith. But a blonde female intern catched it.

„Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice." Ruby and Cristina rolled their eyes figuring out that this was the model. The bubbly and enthusiastic blonde gave them a look and turned to Bailey smiling extending her hand. „Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie."

Bailey looked her up and down not responding or shaking her hand making Ruby laugh quietly. „I have five rules. Memorise them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you, that's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers.", they all grabbed a pager and ran after Dr. Bailey, „Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night till you drop and don't complain!"

Looking around the room, Ruby listend to Bailey and wrote down notes in a book from her grandma. „On call rooms. Attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleeping, don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there, not only would you have killed someone, you would have also woke me for no good reason, we clear?"

Clearing her throat, Ruby raised a hand.

„Yes?"

„You said five rules. That was only four."

Looking at her pager and rolling her eyes, Bailey continued. „Rule number five. When I move, you move."

She ran down the corridor, followed by the interns, yelling at a few doctors blocking the hallway. Ruby didn't know where the short black woman wanted to go, but she had to follow her.

*

„All right, get her on her side, Izzie, ten milligrams Diazepam, no, no, the white lead is on the right, righty whitey, smoke over fire, a large bore I.V. don't let the blood haemolyse, let's go!", seeing Bailey in action the first time, Ruby was impressed by her. That's why she's called the Nazi. Now it made sense to her.

Izzie injected her and the patient stopped
seizing. Another new doctor, Preston Burke, entered, black, tall and young looking. Ruby didn't knew him but he gave her an off feeling.

„So I heard we got a wet fish on dry land?", he joked and received an eye roll from Ruby, which he of course didn't see.

Bailey nodded. „Absolutely Dr. Burke."

„Dr. Bailey, I'm gonna shotgun her."

„That means every test in the book, CT, CBC, chem. seven, tux screen, Cristina, you're on labs, George, patient workups, Meredith and Ruby get Katie for a CT, she's your responsibility now.", Dr. Bailey gave the interns their tasks and got out of the room.

*

„You're lost." Currently Meredith and Ruby were in an elevator with Katie, their patient, while waiting for the door to open again.

Ruby scoffed. „We are not lost. How are you feeling?"

„How do you think I'm feeling? I'm missing my pageant.", she replied annoyed.

Meredith wheeled her out of the elevator and around a corner. „You're missing your pageant."

„The Spokane Teen Miss? I was in the top ten after the first two rounds. This is my year. I could've won.", she sat up, because they wheeled her back around the same way, „Hello? You're both so lost. What are you, like, new?"

They both just looked at each other, quietly wondering where they had to go.

„I twisted my ankle. I do rhythmic gymnastics, which is like, really cool. Nobody else does it. And I tripped over my ribbon, and I didn't get stuck with someone this clueless. And that was like, a nurse."

„Just shut up."

„I really think we could be sisters in another universe." Meredith said.

*

Meredith and Ruby both having trays in their hands, sat at the table with Cristina, George and Izzie.

„Katie Bryce is a pain in the ass. If I hadn't taken the Hippocratic oath, I'd Kevorkian her with my bare hands.", Ruby nodded stuffing some fries in her mouth.

Both of them received stares.

„Oh my god, stop looking. You're annoying."

Dr. Burke came to them. „Good afternoon interns. It's posted, but I thought I'd share the good news personally. As you know, the honour of performing the first surgery is reserved for the intern that shows the most promise. As I'm running the OR today, I get to make that choice.", clapping George on the back he continued, „George O'Malley. You'll scrub in for an adipectomy this afternoon. Congratulations."

George looked around, thinking that it was a joke. „Me?"

„Enjoy."

„Did he say me?", still shocked he waited for answers. Ruby, not wanting to see him in that state anymore, smiled.

„Yes, he said your name O'Malley!"

*

Running down the hallway, trying to find Derek, Ruby thought about her and Merediths patient. Derek was standing with other Doctors laughing about something. Ruby approached them fast.

„Hello, may I talk to Dr. Shepherd for a second.", she smiled at them, signaling Derek that she didn't have much time. But Derek didn't seem to catch her hint.

„Ahh, this is Doctor Ruby Moore, gentlemen. She's the granddaughter of Doctor Mary Moore, the founder of the Moore Method, also called the MM. It's her first year as an intern here. Ruby, these are the Doctors-"

Derek stopped talking. He was looked around the room and at Ruby, when he suddenly stopped talking. There behind a glass door stood Meredith, the woman from the bar. She looked at him shocked and ran away.

He swallowed hardly and looked at the Doctors and Ruby again, who watched him carefully. He excused himself and took Ruby with him not seeing the expressions of his coworkers.

„What the hell was that, Der?", Ruby was very confused. „Or should I ask, why the hell that reaction to Meredith?"

Staring at her, he began to tell her of Meredith.

„So you slept with a first year intern, but you didn't know that she was an intern, and now she's at this hospital working?"

„Yes. I don't know what to do. Should I confront her or should I-"

Putting her hand on his shoulder, Ruby spoke. „Calm down, lover boy. Since when are you like this? You like her, right?", at his perplexed look, Ruby laughed," I know you, Derek. I know when you like someone. You should talk to her. I met her already, she seems nice and she's also good looking."

„Hey! Don't steal her away from me."

*

Ruby walked into the gallery, looking down at George trying himself to calm down. If she could she would go down there and give him a pet talk, but since she wasn't scrubbing in, she couldn't. They were already making bets, if George would success or not. It really started to annoy Ruby, her hands were stuffed in her jacket and her face began to red. After the last bet, which was now at 25 dollar, she spoke.

„Fifty says he pulls the whole thing off. That's one of us, down there. The first one of us. Where's your loyalty? You're all just jealous of him, because you're not good enough."

Meredith hummed. „She's right. Stop that."

They all watched her in silence till Cristina made the next bet. „Seventy-five says he can't even ID the appendix."

Izzie concurred. „I'll take that action." Others also nodded. Ruby just huffed and took a place.

Down in the OR, Burke looked at George. „Okay, O'Malley, let's see what you can do."

„Here it comes.", Ruby believed in him, he could do it, but if he would was another thing.

„Scalpel." George took it, the interns cheered from the gallery. Burke motioned for them to shut up. Ruby chuckled lightly.

Cristina nodded to the Doctor. „That Burke, he's trouble." All interns laughed at her joke.

„I told you, he's going to pull it off."

George put the appendix out, which caused cheers to happen. Burke congratulated him. After that George ripped the secum which caused a bleeder. The blood pressure dropped rapidly.

„Come on, George.", Meredith begged next to Ruby, who was watching the OR silently.

„Today. Pull your balls out of your back pocket, let's go. What are you waiting for, suction?", Burke told him, ignoring the bleeping in the background.

„Getting too low folks... Dr Burke..."

Burke shoved George away. „Get out of the way. Pansy-ass idiot. Get him out of here. Suction. Clamp."

„Double-o-seven."

An other intern nodded. „ Double-o-seven, yep, that's a total double-o-seven."

Izzie turned to Ruby. „What's double-o-seven mean?"

„Licensed to kill."

*

Ruby sat next to Cristina on a bed in an empty hallway, listening to George's jabbering.

„Double-o-seven. They're calling me double-o-seven, aren't they?"

Izzie, Meredith and Ruby all said at the same time. „No one's calling you double-o-seven."

„I was on the elevator and Murphy whispered double-o-seven."

Cristina stood up an went to the venting machine. „Oh, how many times do we have go through this, George, five, ten? Give me a number or else I'm going to hit you. Do you want something, Ruby?"

She shook her head.

„Murphy whispered double-o-seven and everyone laughed."

Ruby looked at him. „He wasn't talking about you."

„You sure?"

„Would we lie to you?", Meredith tried to ensure him.

„Yes."

Ruby took the candy bar from Cristina. „Double-o-seven is a state of mind."

„So says the girl who finished top of her class at Stanford and Harvard. Pagers beep."

Meredith and Ruby looked scared at them wide eyed. „Oh man. It's 911 for Katie Bryce. We gotta go."

*

Ruby filled the charts out annoyed by her patients behavior. Katie was just bored and not dying. She just wanted someone to talk to, but neither Ruby nor Meredith were psychiatrists. She looked up, seeing a male arguing with a nurse. He saw her glance and went up to her.

„God I hate nurses. I'm Alex. I'm with Jeremy, you're with the Nazi, right?", he wasn't that bad looking, but not really her type.

„She may not have pneumonia, you know. She could be splinting, or have a PE.", Ruby said not answering his question about Bailey.

He scoffed. „Like I said, I hate nurses."

Ruby turned to him, angry. „What did you just say? Did you just call me a nurse? I can ensure you that I'm definitely not."

„Well, if the white cap fits...", but Ruby just wandered off, muttering to herself about the guy. Some seconds later she got paged, because of a 911 from Katie. „Damnit, Katie..."

But this time she didn't run.

„She seeing anybody?", Karev asked George, who watched the whole scenario.

„I don't know.", he shrugged, not knowing that much about Ruby.

Karev whistled at her. „She's hot."

„I'm friends with her. And this neuro surgeon too. I saw them talking this morning, I don't know if they are together or something. I mean, it could be —", he rant on.

„Dude. Dude. Stop talking."

*

Walking up the stairs to Katie, Ruby saw Meredith at the door and called her name. Both of them walked to Katie, not being in a hurry. As they saw nurses running to Katie's room, Ruby and Meredith walked faster.

„What took you so long?", Katie Bryce was having seizures and cramped on her bed. Meredith just stared at her, but Ruby took the chart from the nurse.

„She's having multiple grand mal seizures, now how do you want to proceed? She's got Diazepam, 2mg Diazepam, I just gave her a second ago."

Ruby nodded, trying to keep it. „Okay, she's full on Prazepam?"

The nurse nodded. „She's had 4mg."

„Did you page Dr. Bailey and Dr Shepherd?", Meredith woke up from her daydream.

„The Prazepam's not working."

„Phenobarbital, load her with Phenobarbital."

„Pheno's in.", the blonde nurse answered.

„No change."

Meredith asked again. „You paged Dr. Shepherd?"

„I just told you."

Ruby looked at her, annoyed. „Well page him again!"

„What do you want to do? Beeping.", she exclaimed.

„Get the defibrillators!"

„Code blue, code blue! Code blue, code blue!", Ruby took them, looking at Meredith, who just stared at her again.

„Charge pulse of two hundred."

„Charged. Clear.", Ruby shocked her. No change.

„Charging. 19 seconds."

„Charge to 300.", it charged and Ruby shocked her again.

„300. Anything? 27 seconds.", the nurse told her.

„Charge to 360. Come on, Katie.", Ruby took a deep breath, hoping that Katie would get a sinus rhythm.

„49 seconds.", she reminded her. „At 60 seconds you're supposed to admit her—"

Ruby yelled at her. „Charge again! Charge again. Anything?"

„I see sinus rhythm. Blood pressure's coming up."

„All right now. Pressure's returning. Grid's coming back...", the nurse said.

Derek came into the room. „What the hell happened, Ruby? Doctor Grey?"

Meredith looked at him, not realizing what just happened. „She had a seizure, and—"

„A seizure?"

„Her heart stopped.", Ruby said, letting Derek go to Katie.

Derek checked Katie's pulse. „You were supposed to be monitoring her."

„ We just checked on her and she—"

„I got it. Just - just - go, Doctor Grey. Doctor Moore you stay here.", but Ruby didn't listen and followed Meredith, who got a scold from Bailey.

„You get a 911, you page me immediately, not in the five minutes it takes you to get to the emergency, immediately, you are on my team and if somebody dies it's my ass, you hear me, Grey? And the same goes to you Ruby!", Meredith ignored her and walked outside into the rain.

„Meredith?", she threw up onto the grass, leaving Ruby at the door.

„If you tell anyone, ever..."

*

„What are you doing?", Meredith asked Christina and Ruby. They were sitting in a conference room with all the other interns. None of them knew, why they had to come.

„I'm suturing a banana, with the vain hope that it wakes up my brain. What're you smiling at, double-o-seven? I'm sorry, I get mean when I'm tired.", he stopped laughing after that, but a smile crept on his face again.

„You know what? I don't care. I comforted a family, and I get to hang out in the OR today. All is well. And you, Ruby? Why are you doing that?", he asked the brunette, who was very quiet.

„Bored.", was her dull answer.

Cristina looked at her, clearly confused by her behavior. „Does anybody know why we're here?"

The loud chatter stopped, as Derek Shepherd entered the room. All interns looked at him immediately, well not Ruby. She was still working at the banana, not lifting her head, as Derek began to speak.

„Well good morning. I'm going to do something pretty rare for a surgeon, I'm going to ask interns for help. I've got this kid, Katie Bryce. Right now, she's a mystery. She doesn't respond to her meds. Labs are clean, scans are pure, but she's having seizures. Grand mal seizures with no visible cause. She's a ticking clock. She's going to die, if I don't make a diagnosis. Which is where you come in. I can't do it alone. I need your extra minds, extra eyes, I need you to play detective, I need you to find out why Katie is having seizures. I know you're tired, you're busy, you've got more work than you could possibly handle. I understand. So, I'm going to give you an incentive. Whoever finds the answer rides with me. Katie needs surgery. You get to do what no interns get to do. Scrub in to assist on an advanced procedure. Dr Bailey's going to hand you Katie's chart. The clock is ticking fast, people. If we're going to save Katie's life, we have to do it soon."

He ended his speech and everyone grabbed a copier of her chart. Ruby still sat there, not interested in that. The interns exit the room, which left Ruby alone with Derek.

„What's up, Rubs?"

She didn't answer.

„Ruby?"

Still nothing.

„Rubina Katharina Mary Moore! Answer me! Whats wrong?"

Looking up at her best friend with tired eyes, Ruby answered. „This is the first time, Derek! The first time that I don't know the answer! I always knew it. I can't figure out, what's wrong with Katie Bryce and I hate it! I was always the one that knew all the answer to every little thing!"

„You are going to grab yourself a chart, go out of the room to the library and read every single thing you find there til you find the answer! You can't give up. Sometimes you have to do something to achieve your goal. I'm not saying this as your boss but as your best friend. Get your shit together, Ruby.", Derek knew that her outburst wasn't 100% from her fail, it was more the withdrawal of the cigarettes. Ruby always smoked because of stress.

And with that Ruby left, trying to find the library.

*

Lying under books, Ruby was found asleep by Christina and Meredith. Both of them looked at each other, trying to figure out how to wake Ruby. The work was done for them, as Ruby slowly moved and her eyes opened. She groaned because of her back ache and sat herself up.

„What's the time?"

Christian chuckled amused. „It's currently 3 pm. You've been here for like, hmm, 5 hours. So, what did you find out?"

Putting her hair in a ponytail, Ruby answered annoyed. „Nothing. I found absolutely nothing out. She doesn't have tumors, no infection, no aneurysm. I read every single book and memorized everything, every single thing, but i didn't find anything that would fit. She was a very healthy girl, she did sports, rhythmic gymnastics. It something with a—"

„What? Ruby, what?", Christina asked as Ruby looked at her shocked, her smile falling.

„Get up! Come on!", both girls ran after Ruby, as she got out of the library.

„-The only thing she could possibly need is a - Oh, oh, Dr. Shepherd! Just one moment, um, uh, Katie competes in beauty pageants—", Christina was stopped by Derek who was in the elevator looking at the three inters.

Derek rolled his eyes. „I know that, but we have to save her life anyway."

Now it was Ruby's turn. „Okay, listen Derek, she has no headaches, no neck pain, her CT's clean, there's no medical proof of an aneurysm —"

„Right.", Derek interrupted Ruby, as Christina put her hand in the elevator.

Ignoring that, Ruby spoke again. „But what if she has an aneurysm anyway?"

„There are no indicators."

„Ah, but she twisted her ankle, a few weeks ago when she was practising for the pageant—", Christina said, stopping the door from closing.

„Look, I appreciate you're trying to help, but—"

„She fell. When she twisted her ankle, she fell.", Meredith stared at Derek, trying to get him know their point.

Ruby stood right next to the elevator door, keeping it from closing. „It was no big deal, not even a bump on the head, you know she got right back up, iced her ankle and everything was fine, it was a fall so minor her doctor didn't even think to mention it when I was taking her history, but she did fall."

Derek looked at her, with eyebrows raised, which is why Ruby took a step back. „Well, you know the chances that a minor fall could burst an aneurysm, one in a million! Literally."

The elevator door was finally allowed to close. Meredith, Ruby and Cristina sighed and turned away. The elevator dinged and Derek stepped out. They turned back at him.

„Let's go."

„Where?"

„To find out if Katie's one in a million.", Derek said, as the three interns followed him.

*

Katie Bryce looked at Meredith, Christina and Ruby trough the window of the MRT. Her face was full of angst.

„I'll be damned.", he whispered, seeing a dark spot on the monitor.

„There it is.", the man who did the MRT said, putting his finger on it.

Dereks eyes widened, stepping closer to it. „It's minor, but it's there. It's a cerebachnoid haemorrhage. She's bleeding into her brain."

Walking down the hall, Derek explained the situation again.

„She could've gone her entire life without it ever being a problem. One tap in the right spot—"

„And explode.", Ruby finished.

Derek looked at her proud. „Exactly. Now I have to fix it. You two did great work. Love to stay and kiss your asses, but I gotta tell Katie's parents she's having surgery. Katie Bryce's chart, please."

„Here you go."

Cristina wanted to do the surgery with him, as Ruby and Meredith both didn't want. Meredith because she couldn't be in a room with him for too long and Ruby because she didn't want to be preferred. „Oh, and Dr Shepherd, you said that you'd pick someone to scrub in if we helped."

Derek filled out the chart and stopped at Christina's indirect question. „Oh, yes, right. Um, I'm sorry I can't take the three of you, it's going to be a full house. Meredith, Ruby, I'll see you in OR."

They stood there for a moment or two. Cristina looked at Meredith and Ruby, who are flustered.

„Good. Thank you.", after that Derek left, smiling at Ruby and squeezing her shoulder.

Cristina looked back at Meredith and Ruby and walked off, clearly pissed.

„Cristina...", Ruby and Meredith tried to stop her, but she just ignored them.

*

George and Ruby sad outside the hospital. Both wearing a toneless expression. Ruby just had a little fight with Derek again, because of the surgery. She didn't want just to be in this surgery because of their relationship. She wanted to be in it because of her skills.

„I wish I wanted to be a chef. Or a ski instructor. Or a teacher."

George looked at her with tears in his eyes, because of his patient. „You know, I would've been a really good postal worker. I'm dependable. You know, my parents tell everyone they meet that their son's a surgeon. As if it's a big accomplishment. A superhero or something. If they could see me now..."

Ruby took a deep breath. „When I told my mother I wanted to go to medical school, she tried to talk me out of it. She said that she didn't want me to end as her mother. She was never there for her. So, the way I see it, superhero sounds pretty damn good."

„We're going to survive this, right?"

*

„From your head. Not from a book. Don't look it up, learn it, it should be in your head. Name the common causes of post-op fever.", Dr Webber scolded Alex Karev, because of his patient.

Alex looked nervous at him, getting out his note book. „Uh...the common causes of post-op..."

Webber watched him, but then said loudly. „Can anybody name the common causes of post-op fever?"

„Wind, water, wound, walking, wonder drugs. The five Ws. Most of the time it's wind, splinting or pneumonia. Pneumonia's easy to assume, especially if you're too busy to do the tests.", Ruby's clear voice rang trough the room, all interns with their books viewed her.

Webber gave Alex a pointed look and asked Ruby. „What do you think's wrong with 4B?"

„The fourth W, walking. I think she's a prime candidate for a pulmonary ambulus."

Webber checked. „How would you diagnose?"

Ruby shrugged. „Spiral CT, VQ scan, provide O2, dose with Heparin, and consult for an IVC filter."

Webber, now speaking to Alex again. „Do exactly as she says, then tell your resident that I want you off this case," he smiled at Ruby," I'd know you anywhere, you're grandmother always showed me pictures of you. Welcome to the gang."

„All right everybody, it's a beautiful night to save lives, let's have some fun.", Derek grinned under his mask, while looking at Ruby, who's eyes had crinkled from her smile.

Cristina was watching from the gallery. Shepherd waved both Meredith and Ruby over to look through the magnifiers at what's happening.

Ruby sat outside the OR, dazed. Cristina walked through the door and turned back, deciding to speak to her.

„It was a good surgery."

Ruby said tired. „Yeah."

hour 48

Christina sighed and placed herself next to Ruby. „We don't have to do that thing where I say something, and then you say something, and then somebody cries, and there's like a moment..."

„Yuck."

„Good. You should get some sleep and a cigarette. You look like crap.", she told her, concerned about her health.

Ruby laughed, thinking about a cig and a bed. „I look better than you."

„It's not possible."

At the outside of the hospital, Meredith, Christina, George, Izzie and Ruby (with a cigarette now) walked over the parking lot.

5149 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 445 11
๐šŽ๐šž๐š—๐š˜๐š’๐šŠ [๐šข๐š˜๐š˜-๐š—๐š˜๐šข-๐šž๐š‘] (๐š—.) ๐šŠ ๐š™๐šž๐š›๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š ๐šŽ๐š•๐š•-๐š‹๐šŠ๐š•๐šŠ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ๐š ๐š–๐š’๐š—๐š, ๐šŠ ๐š๐š˜๐š˜๐š ๐šœ๐š™๐š’๐š›๐š’๐š โ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๏ฟฝ...
43.3K 1.6K 16
You're holding me like water in your hands. grey's anatomy s1โ”s9 mark sloan & female oc
10.7K 267 20
-๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฝ ๐—ถ๐˜ ๐—›๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ต ๐—›๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ต ๐—ข๐—ฅ ๐—•๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ ๐—”๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐—๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ป'๐˜€ ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ. ๐—ฆ๐—ต๐—ฒ ๏ฟฝ...
1.6K 63 8
-๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—˜ ๐—œ๐—ฆ ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—Ÿ๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—˜ ๐—ช๐—œ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ข๐—ง๐—›๐—˜๐—ฅ ๐—ข๐—ฟ ๐—š๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜๐—ด๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฎ...