Caught Between (A Nozel Silva...

By timesparrow

Leocadia Vermillion has always been fortunate. She was born into a royal house, possesses powerful magic, the... More

A lively afternoon
A turn for the worse
A quiet revelation
A lick of attraction
Character

A day for study and naps

506 17 1
By timesparrow

Time Skip- a few weeks later

In these weeks I had been home, I spent them mostly on my own, just like usual. I could be found meditating in the back garden, reading in the library, or training. Aside from the once a week visit from the Silva family, the weeks had flown by quietly, the weather warming each day towards summer.

Nozel and I had gotten closer whenever his family was visiting. He had been initially guarded towards me, but he quickly opened up and that was left behind, bringing our friendship closer to what it had once been. It was nice just having a bit of normalcy after my life got flipped on it's ass just two years ago.

Though, the only thing that had been niggling in the back of my head was that I could tell Nozel was infatuated with me, painfully so. Thinking back on before I left, I think he liked me back then as well. Well, I guess I never noticed because I was ridiculously dense back then.

When I finally got my grimoire, I couldn't afford to be a child anymore. I had to grow up, and face the implications of being given an ability that I couldn't control, at least not then. So, I forced myself to think and reflect on everything I did, hammered into my brain to think before acting.

Although I know of his feelings towards me, I cannot entertain them. My magical stability relies of my emotional stability, so being in love would only serve to destroy that-strong emotions do tend to make you vulnerable enough to spiral out of control.

I was focusing on something that had been bothering me as of late. My grimoire housed two different entirely different magics. Conceptually, this idea makes no sense and when I further studied the nature of my abilities and how they interacted, it only served to confuse me more. You see, my grimoire is called the gods' yin yang for a reason. The magic in itself wants to mesh together seamlessly, however they still resist that pull, as if they were sentient, I thought quietly in my head.

My thinking lead me to where I am now, shuffling through any and all information I could get my hands on about my grimoire and past history. It was mostly stuff I already knew. Everybody becomes awesome or a villain, got it.

I had just finished reading the original lore on my grimoire when it dawned on me. What if the lore is real? If these two gods were forced to combine in order to defeat the enemy, putting aside their grievances to become the ultimate ace, could it be possible their residual power created this grimoire?

My eyes widened, mouth popping open in shock. I had always thought the stories I had heard were meant to scare children and warn others away from people who had the grimoire, but the possibility of them holding even a grain of truth was shocking. If the legends were true, then the reason my magic acts as it does makes complete sense. I was about to go head first off the deep end into my thoughts on how to fix this issue when I heard someone knock on the door frame.

I jerked my head up so fast, my vision swam for a second before righting itself. My brother was at the door, amusedly holding his knuckles to the doorway to the vast library in our home.

"Hey" he said, breaking the silence in the room.

"Hello." I replied distractedly. I was still trying to sort out the noise in my brain from the life-changing truth I had just uncovered. I sighed, running my fingers through my scalp before slumping in my chair, motioning for Fuegoleon to sit at the chair across from mine at the study table.

"What has you so flustered Cade?" He asked the question with a sincerity that shocked me. I had to catch my surprise before I answered. I was constantly reminding myself that my little brother wasn't a kid anymore. He is a vice-captain and the heir to our family, and he had matured a lot to match the job.

"Ah, just some research. I was doing some studying on my grimoire that I wasn't able to do while I was away. Some shocking things to be sure, but nothing your big sister can't handle." I finished with a smile, attempting to reassure myself and my twin at the same time. I could see the suspicion on his face, but he relented, letting his shoulders sink.

"What about you, Leon. What are you doing here? Last time I checked, you wouldn't set foot into a library unless it was absolutely necessary." I asked, trying to bring up the mood in the room. I chuckled slightly when he winced.

"Believe it or not, Leocadia Vermillion, but your little brother has grown up, and actually finds reading interesting." He claimed haughtily, using my full name like an insult. I believed what he said, if the books on magical theory tucked in his arm said anything. I was still going to tease him anyways.

"Are you sure it's not for the passionate descriptions of a woman's soft flesh? I'm sure you quite enjoy reading about the intimate love making of star crossed lovers." I smirked, watching him splutter as his neck and face went absolutely crimson as he floundered for a reply.

"I DO NOT!" He shouted indignantly, still hilariously embarrassed. I think this is the most ruffled I have ever seen my little brother. It was quite amusing. I said nothing as he collected himself, waiting for him to stop cursing me under his breath.

"Look, I came here to talk to you. I wanted to ask you how you were feeling about the magic knight exams coming up in the next few days. I just wanted to clarify some things. You still want to join the Crimson Lions, right?" He looked childishly hopeful, and I was sad to disappoint him with my answer.

"I am actually pretty excited for the exams. However, I am afraid I have to let you down with joining your squad. As it stands, I am more powerful than you. That might change in the future, but for now it is the truth. If I were to join the Crimson Lions, not only would it challenge your spot as vice-captain, but as family heir. I never, EVER, want to put you in that position, so if it means I can't join your squad, then I'll do what I have to do." I watched his face fall, and he furrowed his brows, blaming himself. His lips thinned into a straight line before replying.

"I understand your reasoning, but that doesn't mean I'm not upset about it. I blame myself really. If you really feel this is best, then at least join the Silver Eagles so that Nozel can protect you. You are powerful, Cade, but it doesn't mean I don't worry about you." He shocked me yet again with the intensity of his sincerity as he pinned me with his honest stare. Gods, I really love you so much Leon. I thought fondly to myself.

"I was planning on it. Nozel is probably my closest friend so it would be fun to be on his squad. Thank you for understanding, and worrying about me. You needn't blame yourself though, because this situation is to no fault of yours. There is nothing to be done about it now except for train, because I've no doubt in my body that you will surpass me some day." I smiled brightly at him, trying to convey my confidence in him. My heart is so full, it just feels like everything is going to be just fine.

He smiled weakly at me, before getting up and walking around the table to give me a hug. He squeezed me hard, inhaling my hair, and then exhaling, as if trying to remember my scent. I did the same to him, picking up the smell of campfires, ink, and just Fuegoleon, as I was nuzzled into his warm chest. I savored the moment, feeling the bond we always had grow tighter as the moment lasted.

I whispered to him just before he pulled away.

"Do you wanna take a nap together, just like old times?" I asked hopefully. He pulled slowly out of the hug.

"Of course, Cade."

I dragged him to my room, the warm, late afternoon sunlight poured into the room gloriously from the open window, the breeze wafting through the room. I clambered onto my bed, him coming just after and he settled next to me, pulling a blanket on top of us. I stared at him as we faced each other, us both lain on our sides. I smiled softly at him, feeling the most at peace I have in a long time. I finally closed my eyes, allowing my troubles to melt away with the dying sun, and the steady presence of my twin brother.

1,500 words my friends.

Hi, it's been a while. Just a few heads up/reminders, since my oc is so tall, I have made Nozel taller than he is in canon. I am so tired of seeing oc's be like 4'8 because it's cute and the love interest is short too. I mean, in real life I'm taller than Nozel. I'm low-key salty because I feel misrepresented cuz there are very little tall female oc's/anime characters in general and I find it annoying. Nozel is 6'2 final height in this story and Leocadia is 5'10.

Another thing I want to address before people get all crazy about it, is the family relational thing between the Vermillions and the Silvas. Though they technically all descend from one family line, it is so far removed, they can hardly be called relatives. Another fact is that if you look up the family tree for both families, it is shown that they intermarry anyways, so it's fine.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please vote and comment what you think :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

621K 18.7K 75
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...
1.1M 20.2K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
249K 8.8K 99
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
1.1M 38.3K 63
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...