Walking in the Dark [Down Dra...

By SMakenzieJ

Schuyler and her best frined Kay don't know what they're in for when Schuyler walks in on the person murderin... More

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen
Part Fifteen
Part Sixteen
Part Seventeen
Part Eighteen
Part Nineteen
Part Twenty
Part Twenty-One - End

Part Nine

370 7 0
By SMakenzieJ

I'm very angry right now, so if it ends up being short or not like you wanted it to be, then sorry. I just need to do something and this is what my brilliant brain thought of. Note the heavy sarcasm.

~~~~

Sky's POV

I looked at my hands, putting the bloody one on my lap and squeezing it shut. It hurt. Everyone was looking at me in response to my brother's last question. Kay moved to my side, getting on her knees next to me. She put her hand on back as a movement of comfort. Then the last week's event ran through my mind. And while it did, Amir asked me again.

"Is it possible that your blood could have gotten on the blade of that sword?"

"Yes." A simple answer.

"How?" He walked over to me and bent down so that he was eye level with me. Putting a finger to my chin, he said, "How did the blood get there, Schuyler? "

I felt compelled to answer. "I accidentally cut my hand on it while I was swinging it to his throat. And it went down the blade fast like it was hungry for something..."

"Tell me, Skye, what were you thinking of when you swung that sword to his throat?"

"At first, I was thinking of Kay. I had to protect her. Then I didn't..." I told him as his face was inches from mine.

"Didn't what?"

"Think."

"You didn't think when you killed him?"

"...No! No, I didn't think! I know I should have before I killed someone! I should have THOUGHT!"

He put his hand on my back, and while still facing me, he said quietly to my face, "I'm nit mad at you for killing that man. In fact, I'm pretty damn impressed. And I'm proud if you. Can you tell me why you didn't think when you killed him?"

"Um...I don't know...Instinct, I guess."

"Exactly. It was a natural instinct. You did, Schuyler, exactly what you were born to do!"

I looked up at him with a disgusted face. "I was born...To kill?"

Even he had nothing to say to that. I looked at my bloody hand and figured I'd pass out soon. I was already dizzy. It wasn't long after that, a couple minutes maybe, that I fell over.

Amir's POV

God. It'd already started. I at least wanted her to be human just a while longer. But it didn't look like that was possible. She'd have a week. Maybe more, maybe less. And then her friend. She would die as soon as the transformation was complete. Unless we changed her too.

Damn!

What was I going to do? I picked Schuyler up and carried her to her room, her friend not far beihind me. This friend of her's was like a dog. She wouldn't ever want to go! Dammit! I have to think of something.

As I lay Skye in her bed, her friend--(I should really learn the girl's name)--looked at me and lay beside her. Skye's hand was still bleeding.

"Sire. I've brought a doctor." Markus was at the threshold with my personal doctor at his side.

"Yes, yes, come in. Would you like me to leave, or shall I stay?"

"Right now you may stay. But, I will need to give her a proper exam. So then you must leave," he said to me. He and Markus were the only ones allowed to talk to me like that, but for some reason, Markus refused to speak to me like that.

"Very well. Markus?"

"Yes, Sire?"

"Has the body of Lane Rollins been removed from my study?"

"Yes, sir, it has," he said nervously. He folded his arms and looked down.

"After I'm done in here, meet me there." He nodded once and left.

The doctor got straight to work on her hand, and she, still unconscious, couldn't feel it, thank God. He muttered to himself and looked at me after he wrapped it up.

"Her hand wound went deep, and it appears to be infected. However, it is nothing serious and can heal. I'll give her medicine to take and her heart needs to be monitored for at least a week or two. Hmm...has it begun yet?"

"Yes, it has. She's going to start soon."

"In that case, I'll give you some pain pills for her. She will be in tremendous pain for the next week. And um..." I noticed he kind of glanced at her friend who was still looking at Skye. "She might not make it."

The girl didn't know who we were talking about and she looked up. "She? She who? Will she make it? Because I....I really don't care if I do. I'm not sure what you're taking about, but I get the feeling it's me your talking about. I would love to stay here, with her, but if I can't...so as long as she makes it..."

I turned on my heel.

That's it. We have to find a way to make that girl be able to live, without doing it illegally. We needed to find a way to change her and make it legal.

When I got to my study, Markus was there waiting for me.

Kay's POV

What was that supposed to mean? She might not make it? God, I hope she did. I felt this weird need to protect her. It was overwhelming.

"All right. Would you be a dear and help me?"

"Huh? Uh...Yeah, sure." I changed Skye into a gown that looked suspicially like a hospital gown. She was still unconscious so she couldn't do it herself. After that the doctor gave her a full exam. He asked if I needed one but as I was about to say no, Markus knocked on the door.

"Uh, doctor, Lord Amir said to give Kay an exam as well. He said not to let her say no." Ah, Hell!

"Very well then." He smiled and shook his head. "He always has been able to read my mind. Alright, if you'll put the same gown on."

As he examened me, he talked. I guess he was trying to make me feel more comfortable.

"So, how long have you known Miss Schuyler?"

"Sky? I've know her for 10 years. She's older than me. She was seven when we met and I was six. But when we talked a few hours ago...she said she had a 'a real brother'. And that she used to have a 'real mother and father too'. Do you know what she meant by that? I was told when I came here that she was living with her brother, but..."

"You will know soon enough. Don't worry!" He laughed and continued the exam. "Open wide." A minute later, he pulled out a syringe and I freaked.

"Whoa! Whoa, whoa, whoa! Do NOT stick me with that thing! That thing is huge!"

He laughed again, this time extremely amused. "It won't hurt!"

"The hell it won't! That's what they all say, and then when they prick you, STING!" It was actually a whisper- yell, because I didn't want to wake Sky up. I was kind of crouched, and I was pointing at him like he'd done something wrong, and not me.

"How about I promise you that it won't hurt? Besides, you knew it was coming, because I did the same thing to Miss Schuyler. She didn't even flinch!"

"She's unconscious! She can't feel anything!"

He laughed again. "Okay, okay." Then, with a serious face, "I really need to take blood samples. It won't hurt much. Just a little pinch." A second later, while I was still hesitating, the door opened and Markus walked through, wear a slightl amused expression.

"I'll hold her still if you need me to, Doc. Lord Amir says she needs to rest. He even said that if he had to, he'd come in here and do it himself. With a bigger needle." They both laughed.

"Don't you dare come near me with that thing!" After that, let's just say that Markus did in fact hold me down. And I did get stuck with a needle. And I did pass out.

Amir's POV

I heard that Kay didn't like needles. She was making a racket. I sent Markus in there to help the Doctor. He had his work cut out for him. After it was done, Markus came back into my study.

"She passed out before he even stuck her with it! I wonder what her problem is with needles." I laughed and stood up.

"Okay, Markus. We've got a big problem. You are aware that Schuyler has begun her transformation, yes?"

"I am."

I started to pace the room. "Then you are aware that she will be in tremendous pain."

"Yes, I am."

"Once she has completed the transformation, she will be...hungry. She will turn into an animal. And you know this, too, I presume?"

"I do."

"That friend of her's hangs onto Skye like a lost dog. If she's anywhere near her when she's done..." I shook my head. She would die, of course.

"Sir, are you suggesting we change Kay as well?"

"I am. But..."

"We need to find legal reasons, correct?"

"Yes!" I felt my hand slam on the table next to me. I thought. And thought. "...That's it! You said that you thought the girl was your other half, correct? Explain that to me."

"Well, when you first changed me, found me as the vampire I am, when Charolette was still alive, I asked you one day. And you said 'It is very frustrating, because if you have a certain ability, like you do yourself, or like I, they are immune to it, unless they give you permission in which to do whatever it is that you wanted to in the first place. I'm not really sure why, and I have done extensive research on this topic, but, nothing came up.' And then when I tried to make her sleep, make her so she couldn't feel any fear or pain, she wouldn't go. She only went when she willed herself to. And then the need to protect her..."

"I see. So what you are saying is that the other half that you have managed to find is a human?"

He looked at me strange. "Yes, she's human."

"Are you telling me that to find happiness forever, you must transform your soulmate so that she may live with you forever?"

He smiled, finally understanding. "Yes Sire. She must live. And I, being the son of the third king, Markus Arailiess VII, am heir to the throne. But without a queen, it can never be. And I've found my soulmate. Therefore she must be changed!"

Wed found a way to legally change her! "Yes!"

Markus's POV

My life story is simple. My parents were killed, I lived on the streets for a while, almost died, The Lord found me, changed me, one if the great Four Kings adopted me, and I became beat friends with the most important king. He had a wife and a happy life.

And then they came.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9M 650K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
3.9M 158K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
162K 7K 200
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...