𝐚 𝐭𝐰𝐒𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐧 𝐭𝐒𝐦𝐞 [...

By penandpathways

𝗢𝗻 π˜„π—΅π—Άπ—°π—΅ the son and daughter of captain america and black widow accidentally travel to the past [ ro... More

ο½₯゚✧
p r o l o g u e
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
e p i l o g u e
bonus chapter: a mother's day special

chapter twenty-two

7.4K 327 374
By penandpathways

I know my chances are slim to none, but I'm trying to finish this book before the period of submission for Wattys2020 is done, haha! Yeah, really far from happening because of my laziness.

Anyway, here's chapter twenty-two! Prepare because this is a long one!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - TWO ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"That's it. It's over. We're going to fade out of existence."

"James-"

"And my hand's going to fade like Marty McFly."

"James."

"Am I slowly disappearing? I think my head's shrinking."

"James!"

James immediately ceased, looking at his sister with wide eyes. Allie, on the other hand, was the entire opposite of him. She would've laughed at her brother's drama breakdown if it weren't for the situation they were in.

Allie stared at him blankly. "You're not dying."

"Are you sure?" James asked again.

She fought the urge to roll her eyes. "Yes, but if you ask me that one more time you will by my hand."

That seemed to ease him a bit. He sighed, "I'm sorry. I didn't know you and mom were there."

"It's fine. I didn't notice dad was there too." Allie's shoulders slumped, a small frown traced her lips. A beat passed before she spoke again, "Did you talk to dad?"

"I was going to but I couldn't find him anywhere. Then I saw him eavesdropping on you. Well, I didn't know he was eavesdropping." he reiterated.

Silence ensued over them. They stood beside each other in a dim hall, backs pressed against the wall.

Allie's eyes darted up the ceiling. She felt hopeless. "I feel like we've accomplished nothing."

"We've done a few things." he muttered.

She let out a sarcastic laugh. "Sure, we did."

He pursed his lips, giving a small shrug. "We got dad and Aunt Sharon to break up."

Allie glanced at him, eyes almost glistening. "It's not enough." Her lip quivered. James immediately turned to her, feeling his heart clench.

Just a minute ago, he was the one having a mental breakdown (quite exaggeratingly), but seeing his sister like this? It was different. He knew Allie was a tough nut to crack, so seeing her in this state really nerved him. He was the big brother; he should be the one finding the solutions, protecting his sister.

If only...

He clamped a hand over his face. What more could they do?

"I know she loves him." Allie blurted. "She loves him, James. She told me herself."

James glanced at her. "I know that. And I know that dad loves her too. If their feelings are the only thing getting in the way, then it's not the case here."

Allie blinked her tears away. There was no time to cry, they needed to be strong for this to work. If they wanted to live, they were going to have to try everything. It may be their last chance. "They just need one final push. We have to make them see that they're meant to be together."

James almost snorted. "We need a miracle for that to happen."

"Then we'll make the miracle ourselves! We have to!" Allie cried out.

James sauntered towards her and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "We will. I promise."

Allie smiled feebly, one that didn't reach her eyes. "Whatever it takes, right?"

He nodded. "Whatever it takes."

Just when they were about to head out of the hall, they were startled when the floor beneath them suddenly shook hard. A loud blast was heard from the other end of the hall. It sounded like it came from downstairs. Both staggered, leaning against the wall for support.

James looked at Allie, eyes almost bulging out of its sockets. "Wha-what on earth was that?" he exclaimed.

Allie didn't respond. She darted out the hall as fast as she could with James tailing behind her. As soon as she turned a corner, she stopped in her tracks, letting out a shriek.

"Allie!"

She was grateful to see him. "Lucas!" Her eyes went to the numerous agents making their way past them-running past them. With brows raised, she asked, "What's going on?"

Lucas was panting, beads of sweat rested on his forehead. "Loki's here."

Allie paled instantly. "Loki?" she gasped, turning to James who looked just as horrified as she was. He heard the entire exchange. "What's he doing here?"

Lucas shook his head. "I don't know," He wiped the sweat from his face using his arm. "But Mr. Stark instructed us to leave and alert the authorities. CIA, especially."

Her frown got deeper. "CIA? Why the CIA?"

James already made up his mind. "We have to help them."

Lucas grabbed his arm, halting his movements. "We can't! We have to follow orders. As much as any of us are capable to help them, they want zero casualties as much as possible." He argued, "Please. We need to go."

James furrowed his brows, "I'm sorry, Lucas. If I see a situation gone wrong, I can't sit myself out and do nothing, no matter whose orders it came from." He turned to leave. "Sometimes, I wish I could."

Lucas called out to James' retreating form but he paid no attention to him. He focused on Allie instead, "Allie, don't."

"I won't die, I promise."

"Allie."

"I can't leave him." She said firmly, yet there was a hint of sadness engulfing her bright blue eyes. "I'm sorry."

Then off she went too.

"Where are you going? The ballroom's that way!" she shouted.

James slowed down in front of two large doors. He pressed his thumb to the plate, the doors sliding open once it granted him access to the ammunition room. "How are we going to fight if we don't have weapons?" he asked rhetorically.

Point taken. She rifled through the containers, taking two pistols and reloading them in the process. "James," she started, "What do you think he's here for?"

He shrugged off his coat, rolling his sleeves up to where his elbow rested. "I don't know. It can't be the Tesseract since S.H.I.E.L.D's not holding it for years now."

Allie kicked off her heels, grabbing a pair of combat boots from the other shelf. She changed into it. "Whatever he's here for, it can't be good."

James' face darkened. "Of course. It's Loki, everything about him screams trouble."

She gulped, worry filling her features. "Do you think he'll recognize you?"

He stilled his movements, pausing to glance at her. From the looks of it, she could tell he was thinking the same thing too. "Let's hope he won't." His voice lowered, "The first time I fought him was hard enough. I doubt this time's any easier."

Allie agreed in silence.

Once they got all the ammo they need, they headed out. James spot his father's shield and took it with him. He assumed Steve must be needing it.

"Woah," Allie voiced, her lips stretching to a grin. She cocked her head, "It goes well with the suit."

James faintly shook his head in amusement, pushing her slightly. "Come on."

-----------------------------

In a matter of just minutes, everything went downhill already. Loki eyed Clint's hand on his arm and, without a word, tossed him over the bar with extreme force. He quickly changed back to his real form.

It attracted a lot of people's attention. As soon as they saw who caused the commotion, they took a defensive stance but did not advance. Even though these people were agents, they didn't have their weapons on them. These people only left because Tony ordered them to. If they were going to deal with Loki, they couldn't afford risking a lot of lives in the process.

They needed to settle this the good ol' way.

Thor quickly arrived in the scene, blocking his way while he hold Mjolnir in his hand. "Brother, what is your reason for being here?"

Loki flinched as soon as he heard the word 'brother'. He glared at Thor, "I thought I made it clear that I do not want to hear you address me that anymore?"

Thor ignored him. "What's your purpose for interrupting this celebration?"

Loki smirked, his scepter slowly appearing in his grasp along with his armor. "Perhaps, you already have an idea."

Tony walked in on the scene, his repulsors ready on one hand. "Hey, I thought we've already locked this guy up?" He glanced at Thor, then waved his hand in exasperation, "And where on earth is Capsicle? Could someone get him down here?"

Peter offered, raising his forefinger, "I could do that."

"No, you, go home. We'll handle this." Tony ordered.

Peter frowned. "But I-"

Tony leaned over to his side. "It's a school night. Go home, or I'll call Aunt May."

"I can't just go home after this! There's two Gods in this room-"

Tony almost rolled his eyes. "Yeah, and we have a hulk."

"He's not exactly the hulk right now."

Tony cut him off. "Kid, just trust that we can handle this."

Peter was adamant, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm staying to help."

Tony turned to him with a scolding look. Peter remained unfazed, though. Tony sighed in defeat. This was no time to argue, he'll deal with him later on. "Fine, fine. Go find Cap and bring him here, tell him we got a situation."

Peter seemed satisfied with that. With a fond smile, he nodded and dashed off to find the said captain.

"What do you want, Loki?" Rhodey asked, the other Avengers started to gather around him. However this starts, he knows it's not going to be easy taking him down.

"If he whines about the Tesseract again, I'm officially resigning as an Avenger." Tony groaned, exclaiming dramatically.

Thor gave him a dubious look. "It can't be the Tesseract because the Tesseract's already in Asgard."

Clint grumbled, trying to stand up from the pile of mess he was just thrown at. "If he's not after the Tesseract then what is he doing here?"

Loki turned to Tony, giving him a wry smile. "Maybe one of your own can explain such a question."

Tony raised an eyebrow, pointing at himself, "Me?"

Sam rolled his eyes. "We don't have time to play your guessing game. Just get on with it and tell us what you want."

Thor stepped in, glaring at Loki. "If it is war you again seek-"

"I have no interest in inviting your planet for a higher form of war when it's deemed to happen sooner or later." Loki countered, "But if you want to prevent that from happening then you must listen to me."

Tony pinched the bridge of his nose. "We've been through this discussion way too many times than I could count."

Loki paused, laughing darkly. "Fine, have it your way." He changed into his armor, the scepter appearing in his hold while a red glow engulfed it.

Clint tipped his head, pointing at at the scepter. "That's new."

Thor eyed him incredulously. "Where did you get that?" He approached him tauntingly, demanding him to answer, "Why do you have the reality stone?"

"Woops. Enough talking." Loki blasted Thor across the floor until he hit the tables, shattering some wine glasses in the process.

Tony attempted to fire a shot from his repulsors but Loki aimed his scepter at him, glowing bright red. What was supposed to be a hard blast of energy turned into a bunch of bubbles instead.

Tony's mouth fell in shock, "What the fuck." He glanced up to meet Loki's triumphant smirk, momentarily distracted, he was thrown back as well.

Before Loki could come for any of them again, a voice intervened.

"Hey!" Steve came rushing to the middle of the scene, his blue eyes streaking with rage. "That's enough!"

Loki chuckled sinisterly as he stood up. "Ah, Captain. Such a pity you're late. You haven't had the chance to see my party trick earlier."

Natasha appeared on the scene as well, holding the ends of her gown. Peter followed closely, setting himself behind her just in case.

"I don't give a damn about what you did." Steve fumed, still clad in his formal attire but the coat was taken off. His jaw clenched, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Loki dramatically sighed. "I really don't feel like wasting my time repeating my story over again. Maybe your friends can do that for you."

Loki blasted a shot at him, which Steve narrowly avoided. But the energy coming from the stone was too powerful that it burned the edges of his shirt. He patted it off, coughing. Without his shield, he was defenseless.

"Steve!" Natasha called out to him.

When Loki aimed the blast at Natasha this time, she was prepared for such an attack, but Peter acted quicker. As fast as lightning, he stepped forward and fired his own web shooters at Loki, splatting a sticky substance in his face.

"Agh!" Loki exclaimed in disgust, clawing at his face to remove it.

Tony took this chance to fire another shot of his repulsors, sending Loki flying across the room. He went over to Steve's side while Thor, Sam, and Clint tried to suppress him.

"Cap, we need to get that scepter away from him."

Steve glanced at him questioningly. "Scepter? I thought we already destroyed that?"

"We did." Tony grumbled, "It's a new one. I think it's run by a different power too. Something much stronger."

His eyebrows knitted together. Their attention was garnered by something floating on the corner of their eyes. Steve's eyes widened. Various champagne glasses, broken and not, were hovering in mid-air, a red glow encompassed them. His eyes followed the source, landing on Loki, who was holding the glowing scepter.

From what Tony could see, the source of the power came from a red object planted on the very crest of the scepter. Was it a stone?

"Stark!"

Tony snapped out of his daze when Steve suddenly yanked his arm, lunging over the side to steer clear of the broken shards of glass directed their way. They took cover behind a wall. Tony then only noticed someone's presence beside them, and he almost jumped in surprise.

"Bruce?" he hissed. "What are you doing here? Why are you hiding?"

Bruce looked guilty, stroking his jaw. "Is it time to let the big guy out?"

Tony couldn't help but raise his voice. "You think?" he said, sarcastically.

Steve had enough of this. Ignoring the both of them, he stepped out to face Loki once more.

Natasha already beat him to his questioning. "Why are you doing this?" She asked lowly, her tone drew out a threat, "What do you want?"

Loki seethed, drawling, "What I want... is the time machine."

Tony's mouth fell agape, and he immediately shut it when Steve wasn't looking. He swallowed thickly, the panic rising within his chest.

Steve scrutinized him, both confusion and annoyance lingered in his state. "What time machine? We don't have any time machine."

Loki twisted his mouth, "Lies."

Before he could conduce another another attack- "Cap!" A young masculine voice suddenly belted out.

In a blink of an eye, a flash of red, white, and blue object came crashing straight into Steve's hands. As if on instinct, Steve caught his shield perfectly and swung it, with great force, in Loki's way.

It hit him straight in the chest, knocking the scepter out of his grasp.

Steve, as well as the others, looked to see who threw his shield. For some reason, he blinked once he saw James at the receiving end. A short smile crawled its way to his lips. James did the same, acknowledging him with a nod.

However, the smile on his face quickly washed away when Allie appeared in James' side. Realization dawned over him, they weren't supposed to be here.

The sound of laughter echoed through the room. Steve glanced back at Loki, his jaw set. He frowned deeply. He really had no clue what the hell was going on here.

"Must you dare lie to me?" Loki growled, gesturing at where Allie and James were. He sensed something off in their presence, something different; almost like they didn't fit in all of these. "You claim you have no time machine but you don't doubt the existence of them?"

Allie and James felt their heart racing faster with each second. Allie's hand shook terribly, loosening the grip she had on her pistol. James tried hard not to show any ounce of emotion, but he was certain if anyone was paying him close enough attention, they'd notice his highly strung state.

Natasha narrowed her eyes, fixating her glare on him harder. "What's that supposed to mean?" she advanced on Loki until Clint held her back.

Loki smirked, "Why don't you ask your precious inventor who created the time machine in the first place?"

Tony froze when all pair of eyes in the room were instantly on him. Even Steve looked unsure. "Tony?" he asked, his tone sounding in the middle of disappointment and hopeful-hopeful that what Loki was implying wasn't true.

Tony laughed shakily. "Actually, I have a very good explanation for this."

He must've been in luck, because right at that moment, a loud, menacing roar interrupted whatever he was going to say. All of them stepped back when the Hulk emerged from the corner, going straight for Loki.

Loki realized what was coming and he scrambled to get his scepter. He managed to acquire it yet wasn't quick enough to use it. The Hulk got to Loki in time, recognizing who he was and remembering what his previous faults were, he grabbed his feet and slammed him numerous times on the ground before throwing him against the glass panes.

Loki groaned but he made no attempts to get up. When he saw the rest of the Avengers nearing him, he used his scepter to phase out. He gave them a smirk before disappearing.

Steve breathed, heavily. "Where did he go? Is he gone?"

"No, he's still here. I can still feel his presence in the building." Thor went on, "There's something you should know, Cap, that is not Loki."

Steve was confused. "What?"

"I mean, that is not our Loki." Thor sighed, "He's from an alternate timeline. That's why he has the reality stone as a scepter. He uses it to go through different realities across the universe."

Clint raised an eyebrow. "How do you know this?"

"No offense to you mortals, but I am a God." Thor answered most humbly, "I know how these things work. I can sense when one's presence doesn't fit in this universe."

Just when Steve thought this situation couldn't get any more complicated, it proves him wrong. "Great," he muttered, sarcastically. "Another Loki is just what we need."

"It still doesn't explain why he's here." Natasha interjected, "He talked about a time machine. What's that got to do with us? What does he need it for?"

Thor now looked at Tony accusingly, "That I do not know, but, perhaps, Stark does." He ridiculed, "I'm certain you know what he's talking about. I demand to know what chaos you created this time!"

"Thor." Steve warned, stopping him when he made a move to grab Tony by the neck again.

Tony raised his chin, scoffing, "Why is it always my fault whenever something happens?"

"Maybe that's because it is." Maria remained calm, but you could still see the dismay in her eyes. "So, tell us the truth now so we can fix it."

"There's nothing to fix, Hill." Tony snapped.

"If there's none then what's Loki yapping about? And why did he drag these two into it?" Sam asked, pointing at Allie and James. He raised a brow, "Do you know something we don't?"

Clint intervened, defending the two young agents. He lied smoothly, "Hey, they're as clueless enough as we are."

Steve sighed frustratingly, looking between the banter of his teammates. He pinched the bridge of his nose. "We don't have time for this. We need to find Loki now, and we need a plan to do it." He demanded, making everyone retreat their arguments long enough to listen, "Thor, what's that stick of his? Is it like the one from before?"

Thor nodded numbly. "Its power comes from the reality stone. I have no idea how Loki got his hands on it in their universe but it's very powerful and dangerous. It can control reality so he can easily trick us more than he already can before."

Steve sighed. "Well, the good thing is its power only lies on the scepter. As soon as we separate the scepter from him, we need to subdue Loki at once."

They all nodded in understanding.

Steve started to relay the plan, "Thor, Sam, and Maria, check the upper levels. Rhodey, Clint and Sharon, you guard the entrance and exits, make sure no agent's sneaking in to help. We can't afford any more casualties. And Hulk?"

Hulk turned to him obediently.

Steve raised his forefinger, "Help us find Loki," he commanded.

The Hulk smirked before jumping off to do as what he was told.

"Nat, Tony, you come with me."

Natasha cocked her head, "Where are we going?" she asked.

Steve answered without looking, "We're going down to the lab."

Tony raised an eyebrow, trying not to look nervous. "What for?"

Now, Steve spared him a glance. He could tell he was pissed, "Because if what Loki said was true and you did build a machine and decided not to tell us again-"

Tony rolled his eyes.

"-we can't risk him to use it. We have to destroy it."

Now, Tony panicked. As well as Allie and James, who were still listening to the conversation this entire time. "Destroy it? But what if-" Tony exclaimed.

"So, now you admit there is one?" Steve asked, enraged. He shook his head, his voice laced with hurt, "I thought you trusted me enough to tell me, Tony."

Tony was at loss for words.

Steve sighed, dismayed. "Guess I was wrong."

Allie and James swallowed the lump in their throat, feeling just as much as guilty for this. This was both their faults. Not Tony's.

"Wait, Cap-" James tried to stop Steve when he was about to leave.

Steve glanced back at them, where Allie and Peter also stood. "You, three. I'm ordering you to go home. Stay out of this, this isn't your fight. Is that clear?"

James tried to reason. "But-"

"Is that clear?"

James withered from his father's daunting look. He was really scary at some times. Especially when he's pissed and in his 'Captain America' mode.

He nodded, defeated. "Yes, sir."

When Steve and Natasha started to walk away, Tony spun on his heels. He warned all three of them, "Don't do anything stupid."

Peter, Allie, and James merely smiled.

"And Cap's right. Go home. All three of you."

James looked at him worriedly, "Tony, but what about-"

He cut him off, already knowing what he was referring to. "I'll handle it."

James lowered his gaze, shame creeping up his neck. This wasn't supposed to happen. Everything that Tony did, it was all for them, and now he was facing the consequences alone. He didn't deserve this. "We're sorry," James whispered.

Tony clasped his shoulder, urging him to look up at him. He gave James a reassuring smile. "It's not your fault."

Momentarily, his eyes fleeted towards Peter, who had a subtle frown on his face. Tony found it amusing, a small smirk appearing on his lips. He decided to tease him a bit, sensing some sort of jealousy forming, "Don't worry, Pete, you're still my favorite kid."

Peter flustered, mouth dropping in horror, "What-no! I wasn't-that's not what I was-Mr. Stark!" he denied.

Tony chuckled, shaking his head before finally following Steve.

-----------------------------

James knew he was going to get in trouble either way.

So, he decided to make the most out of it.

Steve groaned in exasperation, narrowing his eyes at him. "I thought I made it perfectly clear for you to stay out of this." He was pissed. Real pissed.

But James wasn't backing down. To hell with it. He can't sit back and do nothing. For all he knows, they needed all the help they can get, because this isn't just Loki they're dealing with.

They were dealing with the Loki from his time.

Unfortunately, Thor was wrong. This Loki wasn't from an alternate timeline or universe, this Loki was still from the same timeline but from a different time period.

This Loki was from the future.

And James knew this, because he knew him. He defeated him.

He knew what he looked like. How he moved. How he fought. This Loki was more powerful and more knowledgeable of how the universe works, because he had already experienced jumping back and forth through different timelines. Whereas, this timeline's Loki still hasn't.

However, he for sure has no clue on how the hell is he going to explain everything to his father without telling the truth about him.

"I'm sorry," James said, prepping up a pistol. "But I can't just sit around when I know I can do something to help."

"That's not the point, James." Steve argued.

Having decided for the three of them-him, Natasha, and Tony-to split up to make the job easier, what he wasn't expecting was to find James sneaking down here instead of Loki.

"I thought you always follow orders."

James shrugged casually, leaning away from the wall to see if the coast was clear. "I guess I lied, sorry." He forced a smile, "Come on."

Steve rolled his eyes, shaking his head at James' stubbornness.

"Since, you're here, can I ask you something?" Steve asked.

James felt something twist in his stomach. "What is it?"

"What Loki said," Steve started, eyeing him warily, "I don't want to sound distrustful, but I just really want to know the truth."

James gulped inwardly, feeling himself start to sweat profusely. It was scary when his mom interrogates, but it was even scarier when his dad's the one who interrogates while on a really bad mood.

"Why did he say that about you and Allie?" Steve asked.

James drew out a shaky breath. He gripped the pistol tighter in his hand and tried to look impassive; tried to look just as clueless as Steve was. "I don't know." He lied, "But I hope to find out why."

Steve only stared at him-watched him. He didn't say anything else but James knew his father well, and he knew that Steve's silence was an indication that he saw right through him. He knew he was hiding something, and he intended to find out what it is.

-----------------------------

Loki curled his hands to a fist, pushing himself up from the floor where shards of glass surrounded him. He landed less gracefully than he expected to be. For some reason, in the process of phasing, he had lost his grip on his scepter. His eyes darted across the room, trying to search for it.

At least he was in the right location. He knew the time machine was around here somewhere. He just needed to know where.

Too late. He felt someone's presence behind him.

"Give it up, Loki. Whatever it is you're looking for, it's not here." Steve stated.

Loki only smirked, turning around to face him. "That's where you're wrong, Captain."

He stopped midway as soon as his gaze fell on the young man behind Steve. He had a stern look-a guarded stance even, yet one look at him, Loki knew that this man had yet to experience the cruelties of life. He looked too fresh-untainted, to be here with these so called 'heroes'.

And he instantly knew that this young man had a trace of his time period written all over him, one that he recognized all too well.

Loki let out a humorless chuckle. To James' ears, it sounded taunting. "Isn't this a wonderful reunion."

James tried not to look shaken because he knew that look on Loki's face. He knew that Loki uses tricks up his sleeve as methods for fighting. After all, he is the God of Mischief for a reason, and more so, for bad reasons.

"But you," Loki squinted his eyes at James, and quite threateningly deciphered, "You aren't supposed to be here, aren't you?"

James' heart raced, almost like it was going to burst out of his chest, because he knew that Loki knew. Loki knew who he was, and he shouldn't be so surprised at all because this is Loki, but it's the idea of what he was going to do next is what kept him anxious.

He tried to put up a blank face. It was working for Steve but not for Loki. He could see right through him. "I could say the same for you." James seethed.

"That's where you're wrong, for I am in the right place at the right time. I am here with a purpose, not by an accident." James stiffened at the latter part of what he said. Loki casually made his way towards them, a sly grin etched on his face. "I cannot say the same for you... James."

The second his name was uttered, James felt a shiver crawl up his spine. He still managed to keep his guard up but his eyes held a hint of fear in them; the panic arising that the truth might come out just when everything was going exactly as planned.

Steve looked puzzled yet more wary of the situation. "How do you know him?" As if Steve had said something funny, Loki huffed a laugh, one so scornful and mocking. Steve gritted his teeth, clearly fed up with him. "Look, you're going to hand in that scepter and come with us-"

"How ridiculous you are. You've caught me before yet look where I stand now? Right in front of you, still alive and well."

"Let's say there is a time machine here, why are you so desperate to find it?"

"I told you, Captain. I have no interest in starting a war- "

"Then why are you here?" Steve shot back.

"Because I intend to end it myself." Loki defended. "Sooner or later, half of humanity will perish, and you must let me defend humanity before it happens."

Steve clenched his jaw. "Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die."

"This isn't a war against wars, Captain." Loki gave him a tight-lipped smile. "It's a war against ourselves. It's a war for survival."

Steve started to calm down, but he was still wary. "And you? What do you gain from this?"

Loki's voice faltered. There was a distinct pause. "My life." For a second, Steve stiffened at his answer. "And control."

His answer was enough to let his guard up again. "You claim you'll defend humanity but you're after control?" Steve huffed a laugh, the familiarity of the situation crawled back to him. "That's not freedom you're aiming for-it's fear."

From the corner of his eye, Loki could see the edge of his scepter behind a counter, he slowly moved to retrieve it while attempting to distract the both of them.

"At least I know my place in the world. I know my purpose." He paused, "tell me something, Captain," he clasped his hands behind him, changing the subject, "You are the man out of time, do you not believe in the concept of time travel?"

Steve's jaw clenched, evidently, Loki hit a nerve.

James needed to stop this. He tried to advance. "Shut up-"

Steve held out a hand to stop him. James gave him an incredulous look but Steve was fixated on Loki alone. He immediately backed down, knowing that Steve was already getting pissed off more than usual.

Loki continued on, "It's just a shame how of all people, it's the man out of time who can't even tell who his own people are." His gaze shifted over to James, giving him a lopsided smirk, "Who his own children are."

James paled instantly.

Shit.

Steve wasn't the least bit amused, not catching onto the meaning of his words. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Just this once, James was relieved that his dad didn't know a lot about Science. He still wasn't going to take his chances though.

Before Loki could attempt to answer, Tony arrived on the scene, giving enough time of distraction for Loki to lean over and grab his scepter.

Tony aimed his repulsors to fire, "Stop!" He wasn't quick enough as the scepter instantly glowed red and ignited a blast strong enough to throw the three of them backwards.

A groan escaped Tony's mouth as he tried to lift himself up to his feet. "We need to get that scepter away from him."

Steve eyed him flatly. "What do you think we've been doing?" he deadpanned. "Where's Nat?"

Tony breathed, "She went to get Banner. We need the Hulk down here."

At the mention of Banner, Steve tried not to flinch. After all, it was only just an hour that had passed when he and Natasha admitted their true feelings for each other.

Snap out of it, Rogers. Now's not the time for any romance drama shit.

Another blast was shot at them, separating Steve and Tony. Steve glanced up in time to see Loki walking towards him. His hand swiped across the floor, reaching out for his shield only to feel nothing. His held his head up, finding it a few feet away.

Loki towered over him, aiming his scepter at his chest. "This might sting a little." he grinned wickedly.

Steve was prepared to engage him by hand when his shield suddenly smacked against Loki's head. It swerved back, and he was shocked to see it land on James' grasp. Loki sneered at him, "You never learn, do you James?"

James ignored him, running towards him and deflecting his blasts with Steve's shield.

Steve was stunned. How on earth was James, barely over the age of twenty (as what Steve knew), able to have the upper strength to use his shield? More so, fight with it?

He got close enough to jab the shield on Loki's cheek. Loki barely stumbled back, he snarled at James. His scepter glowed the same time the shield did. It faded out, almost like it vanished into thin air. It was enough distraction for him to put his guard down, and Loki took advantage of it, knocking him aside roughly.

James crashed against the concrete wall, the pain in his back shooting past his skull. It hurt. It ached all over. Loki phased out again.

"James!" Steve cried the same time as Tony did.

Steve spotted his shield on the floor. Thankfully, Loki didn't permanently get rid of it. He swoop his shield and went over to James' side, helping him up. "You good?"

James groaned, standing up while holding his side. "Peachy keen."

"We need to stop Loki before he gets the time machine." Tony interrupted, a gash was present on his right brow. Blood started to trickle down it. "But we can't destroy it."

"Remind me to give you a hard smack in the head after this is all over." Steve said flatly, "Why can't we destroy it? It's safer for everyone."

Tony hesitated. "Just trust me."

"I did trust you, Tony." Steve bit out, "And look where it got us."

Steve almost regretted his words the moment they slip out. A flash of hurt flickered in Tony's eyes but he cast it aside. "I'm sorry then." Tony snapped. "I didn't ask you to."

James didn't want to hear this, it pained him more than his aching back. "Uh, I don't think now's the time-"

Steve didn't hear him. "I didn't mean it like that."

Tony glared at him, walking away. "Well, it sounds like you do."

"Stark-"

James stopped, his eyes glancing around the room. He turned back, sideways, checking to see if Loki was here. He wasn't here physically, but he could sense it. Steve and Tony were too busy arguing to notice.

Then he blinked. Loki was on the flight of stairs, his eyes glowing red more than ever, and it was as terrifyingly familiar sight. He raised his scepter. James' eyes widened, he looked to see where it was pointed at, and found it directly situated at Steve.

Oh, no. He recognized this form of attack. If Steve received this blow, he'd be good as dead.

Apparently, Tony noticed it too, but already too late. "What the hell." he gaped at Loki's state, already a good distance apart from Steve.

Steve turned around just in time the scepter blared to life.

James ran. The panic within him reached its peak. His knees wobbled but he didn't care. He needed to make it. He had to. He had to save his dad.

His dad.

"Dad, watch out!"

It was a good thing he inherited his dad's serum. He was faster than a normal human, so he got to Steve just in time. With full force, he lunged at his dad, toppling over him until they went rolling over the ground.

They barely missed the blast but by a miracle, they did.

Loki phased off again, finally bent on getting to the time machine rather than waste his time destroying them.

James breathed heavily, relief coursed through his veins. Sweat draped over his arms, face and neck. He sat up, assessing Steve. "You alright?"

But Steve wasn't answering. He was simply staring at him with wide eyes, eyebrows knitted together. He stayed silent, mouth opening yet closing just as quickly. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he couldn't.

James glanced at him worriedly. "Steve?" He looked back at Tony, who pretty much had the same reaction as Steve's, only his was more of a horrified look.

"You..." Steve finally spoke, getting his attention back. He stumbled over his words. James noticed that he looked paler than before. Steve swallowed the lump formed in his throat. "...what did you say?"

James looked at him with confusion.

What?

He retraced back his words. What could he possibly say that made them look like gaping fishes-

Wait.

James now remembered. The weight of it came crashing down to him. It all had just sunk in now. Oh, no. No. No. No.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING.

His mouth fell agape. "I... I-I don't..."

Steve froze, knowing that there was no trace of lies in him this time. His reaction pretty much confirmed it. "You called me dad."

James couldn't speak. He only heard Tony mutter something else.

"Well, shit."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ E N D O F C H A P T E R ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

YES BTCH THIS IS MY LONGEST CHAPTER YET.

Sorry, for the lack of romanogers moments in this. I swear, once they deal with this Loki problem, they're all gonna go back to being fluffy and sweet.

As many of you requested, Loki's not evil in this. Of course, not. Loki's just here for a purpose. Though the Avengers might have misinterpreted him and his desire for power.

If any of you's confused about the alternate timeline thingy or Loki being in the future and James knowing him blah blah, COMMENT DOWN BELOW! Or pm me so I can gladly answer your questions.

Again, I made everything up so I'm sorry if some doesn't make sense.

ANYWAY, SO THAT LITTLE SLIP-UP FROM JAMES??? HE DED.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405K 13.7K 33
❝Do you ever wonder what it's like?❞ ❝What?❞ ❝To fall in love.❞ She scoffed in disbelief, ❝Love is for children, Rogers.❞...
281K 6.8K 25
Another Romanogers story. I never get tired of writing these. Hope you enjoy!
89.2K 2.2K 22
Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff have been teammates and friends for a while now. Years spent working, laughing, fighting and just going through lif...
80.1K 4K 39
{A Romanogers Story} "Two countries, Russgard and Midgard, continuously at war for centuries long. King Joseph Rogers of Midgard has a plan to end it...